HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,633 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17522
04/01/06 04:26 AM
04/01/06 04:26 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by västergötland:
Colin

I wonder, which do you rest your beliefs most upon, the bible or the SDA pioneers views (about the bible)?

More on the Bible, thanks for asking, but the SDA pioneers' interpretation is better than our theologians' efforts today, so the pioneers get mentioned with the Bible. First the Bible, then our pioneers, then our current theologians.

You don't think our pioneers made more sense on the Bible truths than our theologians, today?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17523
04/01/06 06:44 AM
04/01/06 06:44 AM
D
Dr.Glenn  Offline
Nevada
Dear Colin:
You stated "Jesus didn't worship his Father". What is worship? Jesus prayed to his Father. Jesus said that he had kept his Father's commandments (this included the fifth commandment - he honored his Father). He said that he had fellowship and unity with his Father. In Proverbs 8 it says that I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him.
So, what do you call worship?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17524
04/01/06 11:30 PM
04/01/06 11:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
More on the Bible, thanks for asking, but the SDA pioneers' interpretation is better than our theologians' efforts today, so the pioneers get mentioned with the Bible. First the Bible, then our pioneers, then our current theologians.

You don't think our pioneers made more sense on the Bible truths than our theologians, today?

I think, who cares what the pioneers thought until we know what the bible teaches.
The main use of external sources as far as I am conserned is background information (like the different meanings a word in hebrew can have or the importance of fig trees in first century israel) which there is no obvious reason they would have a better understanding of than modern theologians do.

The secould use of external sources is the sermons of great preachers who had the gift of teaching, showing how things may be put together.

The least use of external sources is the one that appears to be alarmingly popular, which in caricature goes something like this "SoAndSo said verse 12 of chapter 1 of book ____ means this and person 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 agree with person SoAndSo, therefore person XY must understand it in that way aswell for person XY to qualify in my checklist of what a Christian/SDA/FillInTheBlank is.

How could I make this clearer, I could say that I find reading the bible with the extrabiblical SoAndSo's thughts as glases to be lousy exegesis.

/Thomas

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17525
04/02/06 04:01 AM
04/02/06 04:01 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thomas,
We are always told to use the Bible. The pioneers did the same thing, and even though some had differeing views such as Uriah Smith in stating that one of the trumpets was about Islam, or the Ottoman empire or something along those lines was incorrect.
I enjoy reading what the pioneers wrote, and thought, but always use the Bible or the backup.
The great things and not so great things of the Bible are backed up archeologically, and historocally. I am not sure if every single instance is, but we know about Babylon being in Iraq, and this same babylon is mentioned in the Bible, Cyrus was prohpesied about over 150years prior to him conquering Babylon, and the fall of babylon as well as Cyrus e written about on an object called a "Cone" its a clay cone, and is held at a museum, so sometimes external sources are not all that bad. Depending on the source I suppose, but its our job to search for Bible truths regardless of who our favorite author was and is. I hope this will give yo uinspriation to search as well, you know digging for gold isn't easy and requires alot of work, and sometimes disappointements as well, but the end result is wonderful [Smile]
God Bless,
Will

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17526
04/02/06 10:04 AM
04/02/06 10:04 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Will

Maybe you could reread what I wrote about the main and secound usefull uses of external sources.

/Thomas

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17527
04/02/06 12:30 PM
04/02/06 12:30 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Thomas originally replied to me with
quote:
I think, who cares what the pioneers thought until we know what the bible teaches.
Bearing in mind the 3 uses of external sources you mention - where the first 2 combine as worthy insights, the understanding one has of the Bible teaching can be challenged by one's church's publications of the day. Does one agree with our current theologians when one's first understanding of the Bible is an opposite view? One doesn't resort to the pioneers' writings to find truth so much as to find an Adventist literally agreement with one's view.

But then the SOP has its own Biblical authority - yes, not its own authority, but Biblical authority, while our other writers of that time agree with her from their own & joint Bible studies. So "truth" is one's individual conviction of Bible teachings backed up by a collective conviction among one's brethern in the church. Do our founders have less weight on doctrine than those among us who have studied various churches' and linguistic viewpoints to hold their academic qualifications and posts? It is indeed a serious question: whose view of God and salvation is the right one. I hope my position is clear.

Yes, the pioneer writings both help to inform our convictions of truth but more often merely confirm our understanding. Because our published theologians differ with our pioneers on several points, there is the perceived 3rd use of external sources (as listed by you): Are our pioneers' positions actually more importance than our theologians teachings today? A collective voice in harmony with the SOP is a strong voice, but that isn't how everyone thinks.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17528
04/02/06 02:05 PM
04/02/06 02:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
To me the problem is not pioneers x modern theologians, but pioneers x Bible (and, in the second place, the SOP).

Acts 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Light is progressive. Some of the pioneers' views had to be given up (like, for instance, the shut door).

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17529
04/02/06 02:34 PM
04/02/06 02:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I led out in the Sabbath School class discussion in the Fredericton SDA Church on this lesson study.

One person was wrestling with the word person in connection with the Holy Spirit.

How do we define what a person is?

Must a person consist of flesh and blood and bones as we do in order to be called a person?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17530
04/02/06 02:35 PM
04/02/06 02:35 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Rosangela:
To me the problem is not pioneers x modern theologians, but pioneers x Bible (and, in the second place, the SOP).

Acts 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Light is progressive. Some of the pioneers' views had to be given up (like, for instance, the shut door).

For all the infamous history of the shut door teaching, it's the simple question of 'how' probation closes - at the beginning of the antitypical day of atonement (as per the 'typical' day's service) or at its end.

Is today's teaching on the sanctuary truth better than the pioneers' view, while we've adopted a range of possible options on other issues - all of which options are said to be allowed. There appears to be a actual philosophical difference, and the earlier reading has a deeper, more thorough spiritual lesson than the newer reading.

Is this actually going off topic...? Only halfway, I think, to be fair. See how it goes.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #1 - The Personality & Divinity of the HOLY SPIRIT #17531
04/02/06 02:45 PM
04/02/06 02:45 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As far as the Holy Spirit being God in the same sense that the Father is God and Jesus Christ, the Son, is God, this reformatted quote from Monday's study makes sense to me:

quote:

Attributes of the Holy Spirit include truth (John 16:13), life (Rom. 8:2), and omnipotence (1 Cor 2:10, 11)—attributes associated with divinity.

Jesus, in Matthew 12:31, 32, says blasphemy spoken against Him can be forgiven but not blasphemy spoken against the Holy Spirit, a concept that doesn't make much sense if the Holy Spirit is anything less than God.[/b]

Matthew 1:20, where Jesus is conceived in the womb of Mary through the Holy Spirit, is also a difficult text to understand if the Holy Spirit were not truly God. (See also Gen. 1:2.)

We really need to keep the role functions of them in mind when we look at each of them. Doing that answers questions that would otherwise not be answered.

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!