HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178270
11/19/15 01:09 PM
11/19/15 01:09 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is one that we all should look at in relation to the critics of EGW:

http://wwww.ellenwhite.org/content/faq/answers-critics

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178271
11/19/15 01:51 PM
11/19/15 01:51 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
But, what if the prophet doesn't understand what God told them? What if the prophecy is conditional?

1. Example of a prophet that did not understand (Dan. 7 & 8)
2. Example of a prophet whose prophecy was conditional (Jonah 3)

In both instances, Daniel and Jonah did NOT act presumptuously. They did NOT lie about receiving a word from God. Though Daniel did not understand, he wrote what he saw and heard. "Thus saith the Lord ...." Similarly, Jonah delivered a conditional prophecy to the people, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!" BUT that was not the only thing he said. We know this because of the response of the King himself, "Who can tell if God will turn and relent, and turn away from His fierce anger, so that we may not perish?"

False prophets, on the other hand, simply chatter like empty vessels: they lie; and when they are caught, they excuse themselves in a million different ways, one of which is to say that the word was conditional -- AFTER THE FACT. Looking at Ellen White through this lens, it behooves every SDA to be fully persuaded in his or her own mind about the canonization of her works.

///

I agree with what you said about Daniel and Jonah. Daniel did not understand some of the visions he received and Jonah's prophecy was conditional. I find it interesting that Nineveh knew to repent that the Lord might save them.

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Alchemy] #178273
11/19/15 02:31 PM
11/19/15 02:31 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle
I didn’t really address Alchemy first and second point properly.

In Genesis 17, God talks to Abraham and straightens everything out! The reason God explained and straightened everything out was because this prophecy truly came from God!

This is a HUGE assumption that I have always heard thru out my years in the Church. It’s not even biblical for the Lord says clearly in Num 12:8 that He speaks in “dark speeches” to prophets. Dark Speeches comes from the Hebrew word chiydah (H2420 that means “a puzzle, a riddle” that is difficult to solve). This word is used 17 times in the Bible where 9 times it is used in Judges relating to the difficult riddle Samson gave at his wedding party.

Thus in Num 12:8 it is clear that the word of the Lord given to prophets comes in an obscured language and does not come with the interpretation and is given as a puzzle to be solve. In the whole Bible, I think only Joseph and Daniel that we read got the interpretation of some dreams. But as Alchemy correctly noted that not all the interpretation were given to Daniel. I will extend also to most other prophets.

The reason God explained and straightened everything out was because this prophecy truly came from God! And God wanted Abraham to know that in about a year Sarah was going to bare him a son and his name was to be Isaac. Isaac, born through a miracle of God, was the child God intended to carry the promise He made to Abraham.

It is true that Abraham spent 12 years with the incorrect understanding that Ishmael was the promised son. Now the birth and life of Ishmael was part of a prophesy also. Abraham had 2 sons, like the Lord had 2 sons. Abraham’s 2 sons were a type & shadow of the Lord’s two sons that Paul explained in Gal 4.

The first son, was birthed by Mama Egypt, was a carnal son that refused to hear the Holy Spirit, received the law outside their body on stones, and tried to keep it with their own vow, will & ability of the flesh. Paul says Ishmael represents the earthly Jerusalem. Also Paul tells us that Ishmael persecuted Isaac. The bible doesn’t tell us in what way, but it was so bad that Ishmael and his mother had to be cast out. The Lord’s second son represents the Overcomers, that constitute the New Jerusalem, and rely on Jesus to keep His vow to write all His laws on their heart via the personal teachings of the Holy Spirit. Also, Paul tells us that the second son represents the New covenant, whereas the first son represents the Old covenant.

I don’t believe the above was reveal to Abraham. Only the part of his understanding was corrected. Only the part that Ishmael was not the promise son when he got the news that Sarah was going to be pregnant. I really doubt that more than that was reveal then. So to say that the Lord corrected everything to Abraham when he got the news Sarah was going to have a son, is a HUGE assumption that is not said in the Bible. For sure Abraham got some more revelation afterwards especially when he offered Isaac as a sacrifice. But I do not believe that Abraham understanding was nearly complete as you are assuming.

Second point to bring out; If God's prophet doesn't understand properly the message God gave him. It is God's responsibility to straighten it out! God must make known what the error is and fix whatever needs to be fixed. And God does that in Genesis 17.

I agree with the highlighted and underlined above, but disagree that everything was corrected and reveal to Abraham about Isaac & Ishmael.

The interpretation rarely comes to the prophet itself, but it is reserve much later on depending on the timing when He will fulfill that prophecy. The fulfillment of prophecies often comes sometimes in the futur generations.

I see this principe in this story of Abraham. Abraham only got the correction of his understanding of the promise son just 1 year prior to the birth of Isaac, but I doubt that much more than that was given to him then. This is what I see standing out in this story.

Hagar and Ishmael was NOT part of the prophecy to Abraham. Not ever. Yet, God did say, after the fact, that He would bless Ishmael. But, Hagar and Ishmael were big mistakes on the part of Abraham and Sarah.

I disagree with you. Ishmael and Hagar was part of the prophecy and a HUGE part of it too. They constitute the largest chunk of the Bible.

I will only address Ishmael, but I could say much more about Hagar and the parallele with her versus Sarah.

Ishmael was Abraham FIRST SON of the FLESH. I agree Ishmael was NOT the PROMISED SON, but it doesn't negate that Ishmael was Abraham FIRST-BORN SON. This is in parallele with the Lord having two sons : #1. Israel born from Mama Egypt, and #2. the coming manisfestation of the Sons of God who are born of the Spirit and are the Overcomers.

This illustrate a prophesy pattern that the Lord works thru – He starts with an “earthy or natural” son, then He begets Christ in him and birth a New Created Spiritual Man in His image. This pattern is repeated in the Bible. Here’s some example:

1. First Son – Adam who was Fleshy, Second Adam – Jesus who was Spiritual

2. First Son – Esau who was Fleshy, Second Jacob – who became Spiritual

3. God’s First Son -- Israel who was Fleshy, Second Son – the overcomers
------- God call Israel His son and His firstborn AV Ex 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel [is] my son, [even] my firstborn
------- Ishmael was called a “wild donkey”(Gen 16:12) == Israel was also called a donkey(Ex 13:13) and a wild one (Jer 2:24) Lots of other donkey and wild donkey verses in the Bible relating to our first nature.

4. First Son - Levi Priesthood who was fleshy ; Second Son Melchizedek Priesthood who is spiritual.

5. First Son – us who are Fleshy(=natural man 1Cor 2:14), Second Son – the new created Man(2 Cor 5:17) who is Spiritual(1Jn 3:9)

The term “Fleshy” has various synonyms in the Bible : Carnal, natural man, soulish, and earthy.

Even Paul recognizes that Ishmael & Hagar was part of the prophesy (read Gal 4).

Paul even explains this two-sons-prophesy-pattern by saying :
AV 1C 15:45 “And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit. 46 Howbeit that [was] not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47 The first man [is] of the earth, earthy: the second man [is] the Lord from heaven.

Blessings
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Daryl] #178278
11/19/15 04:11 PM
11/19/15 04:11 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl

The people who fight over Ellen White, criticizing her on the one hand and vehemently defending her on the other, are like those who play for third place at the FIFA World Cup. They lost the Cup already! The Great Controversy is NOT over Ellen White.

///

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178281
11/19/15 05:04 PM
11/19/15 05:04 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada

The people who fight over Ellen White, criticizing her on the one hand and vehemently defending her on the other, are like those who play for third place at the FIFA World Cup. They lost the Cup already! The Great Controversy is NOT over Ellen White.

///

This discussion in not to critic Ellen White nor am I interested to bring up any of the items the link is talking about.

It is about criticizing the Church for failling to Canonnize or do a cleanup in her writings.

I even said that Ellen and James was right to tell us not to quote her, that it was our Christian Duty to test all things and making the Bible our only standard. However the Church did not listen to those counsel and many others of the sort.

Blessings
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178283
11/19/15 05:27 PM
11/19/15 05:27 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

///

This discussion in not to critic Ellen White nor am I interested to bring up any of the items the link is talking about.

It is about criticizing the Church for failling to Canonnize or do a cleanup in her writings.

I even said that Ellen and James was right to tell us not to quote her, that it was our Christian Duty to test all things and making the Bible our only standard. However the Church did not listen to those counsel and many others of the sort.

1. SDA have already canonized her writing. The link Daryl provided and FB#18 are evidence enough.

2. Give TWO or THREE examples of things SDA should remove from her work for it to be cleansed, and reasons for your advice.

///

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178284
11/19/15 05:46 PM
11/19/15 05:46 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada

///

1. SDA have already canonized her writing. The link Daryl provided and FB#18 are evidence enough.

2. Give TWO or THREE examples of things SDA should remove from her work for it to be cleansed, and reasons for your advice.

///

1. FB#18 is no proof EGW writings has been canonized.

2. For instance, a)personal letters, b)all writings from the pen of others(her team), c)anything that was changed or added by the Church, d)anything that she was expressing her understanding at the time.

Blessings
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: James Peterson] #178285
11/19/15 06:45 PM
11/19/15 06:45 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada

///

The Great Controversy is definitely NOT over Ellen White, however, the book, The Great Controversy, that she wrote, under the inspiration of God, is all about the great controversy between Christ and Satan, between Good and Evil.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Elle] #178287
11/19/15 07:42 PM
11/19/15 07:42 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
1. FB#18 is no proof EGW writings has been canonized.

2. For instance, a)personal letters, b)all writings from the pen of others(her team), c)anything that was changed or added by the Church, d)anything that she was expressing her understanding at the time.

Well it is not proof in the technical sense, but evidence enough. FB#18 says, "Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church" cf "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness ..." (2 Tim. 3:16)

Do you care to oppose one who speaks with "prophetic authority" under "inspiration of God"? SDA have established Ellen White in their hearts much like Mormons have done Joseph Smith. It is a settled matter, and a fundamental doctrine of the denomination. And there is NOTHING you can do about it.

You ask quite a lot to be removed: personal letters, all writings from the pen of her team, anything that was changed or added by the Church, anything where she was expressing her understanding at the time. Won't you consider annotations instead, explicit identifications of what is what and which is which? I think they have done that already though.

///

Re: Should we quote EGW? --The Lord Canonized OT & NT -- shouldn't EGW's writings also? [Re: Daryl] #178289
11/19/15 08:10 PM
11/19/15 08:10 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
The Great Controversy is definitely NOT over Ellen White, however, the book, The Great Controversy, that she wrote, under the inspiration of God, is all about the great controversy between Christ and Satan, between Good and Evil.

And it is easy to misconstrue opposing ideas as "evil" and familiar ideas as "good" making the controversy as if it were then over doctrine. Shouldn't it be over character instead: the character of Christ versus the character of Satan? Jesus said as much, didn't he? "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will NEVER enter the kingdom of heaven." (Mat. 18:3)

It is not about what you know, but how you express what you do know. (1 Cor. 13)

///

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!