HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,264 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180660
05/31/16 07:12 AM
05/31/16 07:12 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
I'm not sure I understand, dedication. How does Christ overcoming carnal nature equate with elevating human righteousness to the same level as His? Even if we overcome our carnal nature, we will still have lost to it at some point: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God".

Only Jesus has achieved a righteousness that has never been defeated.
Our so called overcoming is merely a faint shadow of the perfection of Christ.

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin."
Hebrews 4:15

Is it possible to be "in all points tempted like as [we are]" without a carnal nature?

Also, is it a sin to be tempted by one's carnal nature if by the grace of God every battle is won and the humanly inherited nature is overcome?

I believe that Christ suffered with a flesh that was after the flesh of Abraham. But, Christ never sinned and became carnal as we are. Christ never lost His moral purity.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180661
05/31/16 03:29 PM
05/31/16 03:29 PM
ProdigalOne  Online Content OP
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Perhaps I am not understanding the terms being used. What is the definition of a carnal nature?
Are human beings born with a carnal nature, or is it something we acquire by succumbing to temptations of what dedication calls our natural human nature?

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180687
06/06/16 05:22 AM
06/06/16 05:22 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Carnal nature--
The carnal nature is sin within, enmity against God's law.

Yes, when we are born our natural nature is equipped with the carnal nature -- complete with it's enmity against authority.

You don't have to teach a toddler how to have a temper tantrum, or how to be selfish with everything he thinks is his, or how to constantly push at restraints. They seem to do this all on their own even before they have reached an age of reasoning, it doesn't require any teaching for them to do these things. Children who are not shown and /or taught acceptable social behavior will not develop it.

People are born with a carnal nature -- though with different levels of the carnal nature. We see this from science as well as from EGW's writings. In Child Guidance page 44 EGW warns parents that their uncontrolled propensities are passed on to their unborn children,

"Children are born with the animal propensities largely developed, the parents' own stamp of character having been given to them" CG 44

Fortunate are the children who have godly parents:

"Oh, if mothers would only work with wisdom, with calmness and determination, to train and subdue the carnal tempers of their children, what an amount of sin would be nipped in the bud, and what a host of church trials would be saved! {CG 176.2}

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180688
06/06/16 05:27 AM
06/06/16 05:27 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Quote:
"As related to the first Adam, men receive from him nothing but guilt and the sentence of death. But Christ steps in and passes over the ground where Adam fell, enduring every test in man's behalf. He redeems Adam's disgraceful failure and fall by coming forth from the trial untarnished. This places man on vantage ground with God. It places him where, through accepting Christ as his Saviour, he becomes a partaker of the divine nature. Thus he becomes connected with God and Christ (Letter 68, 1899). {6BC 1074.7}

“We have reason for ceaseless gratitude to God that Christ, by His perfect obedience, has won back the heaven that Adam lost through disobedience. Adam sinned, and the children of Adam share his guilt and its consequences; but Jesus bore the guilt of Adam, and all the children of Adam that will flee to Christ, the second Adam, may escape the penalty of transgression. (FW 88)

If Christ had not redeemed the human race, no one, not even a new born baby that dies the day he is born would enter heaven.
But because Christ took that guilt, all who flee to Him may escape the penalty of transgression. And to those believing parents, the little ones who died in infancy will be brought by angels and placed into their arms.

1 Cor. 15:21-22
For since by man came death,
by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Romans 5:17-19
For if by one man's offence death reigned by one;
much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the
gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation;
even so by the righteousness of one [the free gift came] upon all men unto justification of life.
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners,
so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Last edited by dedication; 06/06/16 05:28 AM.
Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180693
06/07/16 12:14 PM
06/07/16 12:14 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne
Perhaps I am not understanding the terms being used. What is the definition of a carnal nature?
Are human beings born with a carnal nature, or is it something we acquire by succumbing to temptations of what dedication calls our natural human nature?

Good question. I wasn't as clear as I thought.

I was trying to distinguish between the flesh and the moral integrity of Christ. His flesh was in the fallen state, but the Moral integrity of Christ was pure. Christ never sinned or succumbed to any temptation.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: ProdigalOne] #180722
06/10/16 04:07 PM
06/10/16 04:07 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
You don't have to teach a toddler how to have a temper tantrum, or how to be selfish with everything he thinks is his, or how to constantly push at restraints.
One wonders, if Christ did not have a temper tantrum, how was He able to overcome that temptation before the age of reasoning?

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: kland] #180732
06/11/16 11:38 AM
06/11/16 11:38 AM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
Originally Posted By: kland
Quote:
You don't have to teach a toddler how to have a temper tantrum, or how to be selfish with everything he thinks is his, or how to constantly push at restraints.
One wonders, if Christ did not have a temper tantrum, how was He able to overcome that temptation before the age of reasoning?
(bold emphasis mine)

Excellent question I think. What do you think?

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: kland] #180808
06/20/16 10:11 PM
06/20/16 10:11 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Quote:

Those who doctrinally bring Christ down to their level wonder at such things and are at a lost to answer.

But Christ did not have a HUMAN FATHER. He was from above as we are from below. His character was pure and holy from birth, unlike our own. It was His to lose heaven to the same extent the other way around: that is, just as it is for us to gain salvation. Christ was superhuman: the literal Son of God. It is something to which we can only aspire in faith. He said so Himself: "without Me, you can do nothing!" (John 15:5)

///

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: Alchemy] #180812
06/22/16 12:53 AM
06/22/16 12:53 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
Quote:
(bold emphasis mine)

Excellent question I think. What do you think?

Christ was sinless. He had a perfectly sinless character right from birth. To say otherwise is to deny the spotless Lamb of God.

Just because He took on "the likeness of sinful flesh" -- that is He took on a real physical human body,-- does not mean He was sinful -- there was no sin in Him.

People have a hard time accepting Christ's dual nature.
He took on "the likeness of sinful flesh" (He could have sinned) but he had a sinless nature (not even in thought or desire did Christ ever sin).

There were no temper tantrums --
What is the cause of temper tantrums?
Isn't it an emotional demonstration to get one's own will?

Satan's temptations for Christ were all geared to getting Christ off track from doing the will of the Father. They were all geared to get Christ to give up the Divine plan for saving humanity, or to devise a simpler plan, or to rise above His humanity and use His Divinity.

== use your Divine power to feed yourself
No -- the Divine plan stipulated that Christ would NOT use His Divine power, but would rely on God the Father. Humans can't turn stones into bread.

== jump of the temple pinnacle and astonish the temple worshippers with this great feat of "flying" unscathed in front of them.
No -- that's not according to the plan on how to win the favor of the multitudes.

== bow down to satan and you won't have to go to the cross, you can be king over everything a much easier way.
No -- that is definitely not according to the plan!!!!

== Gethsemane, forget the whole thing, these people don't want what you are offering them, they hate you, they are going to mistreat you terribly, even your so called disciples will run and desert you, even betray you. It's not worth it -- forget it. Go back to heaven where you came from, and forget this whole thing.
No -- that's not the divine plan, even though it's going to be terrible to suffer the guilt of the world and the separation from my Father, as well as the tortures of the body -- I must go through with it, it is the only way salvation will come to humanity.

== Come down from the cross, you save others but can't even save yourself?
No -- if I save myself I go against the Divine plan, and thus would not save any others.

Do you see -- every temptation was an appeal to Christ to use His Divinity to go against the Divine plan and agreement which Christ had made with God the Father.

Here are a few quotes to show this:
Quote:
The Jews were continually seeking for and expecting a Divinity among them that would be revealed in outward show, and by one flash of overmastering will would change the current of all minds, force from them an acknowledgment of his superiority, elevate himself, and gratify the ambition of his people. This being the case, when Christ was treated with contempt, there was a powerful temptation before him to reveal his heavenly character, and to compel his persecutors to admit that he was Lord above kings and potentates, priests and temple. But it was his difficult task to maintain the level of humanity. {3SP 260.1}

It was a difficult task for the Prince of Life to carry out the plan which he had undertaken for the salvation of man, in clothing his divinity with humanity. He had received honor in the heavenly courts, and was familiar with absolute power. It was as difficult for him to keep the level of humanity as it is for men to rise above the low level of their depraved natures, and be partakers of the divine nature.
Christ was put to the closest test, requiring the strength of all his faculties to resist the inclination when in danger, to use his power to deliver himself from peril, and triumph over the power of the prince of darkness.{RH, April 1, 1875 par. 2}

Not my will, but thine be done.

That's where the battle against sin is centered --
Following Christ in obedience, or doing our own thing.

Re: Pope Claims Christ Sinned! [Re: dedication] #180821
06/22/16 02:05 PM
06/22/16 02:05 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
Satan's temptations for Christ were all geared ... to [make Him] rise above His humanity and use His Divinity.

That is not true.

Jesus did not say, "My Father is the resurrection and the life." Rather, it is well documented that he said instead that He was and is, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in ME will live, even though he dies." (John 11:25) He was fully Divine in word and deed on earth.

No one takes as Saviour someone who is weak as himself, but someone who is superior in strength that is more than enough to overcome the enemy. This is important to understand lest it enter into your head that you can be Christ, the image and likeness of perfection. Isaiah says, "For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; and all of us wither like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away." (Isaiah 64:6) Even Paul cries out in hope, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Rom. 7:24-25)

For these and other reasons, it is said, "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9) In Christ alone, who conquered through His own strength, upon Him we lean, to Him we run like chickens to their mother hen. (Mat. 23:37)

What do you think? Does the hen cry out and say to her chicks, "I am weak like you!" Does she drop her wings and faint, she whose muscles and sinews are the definition of determination and power? Christ was certainly not like Samson upon whom the Spirit descended and left. He was THE Spirit of the Living God, fully Divine and acting so: always! For which reason the Devil could not stand before Him. (Mat. 8:28-29)

///

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!