HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Alchemy] #179818
03/15/16 01:59 PM
03/15/16 01:59 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Alchemy
How readest thou? Luke 10:26.

How we interpret Scripture in critical. Do we allow the Bible to interpret itself? Or do we believe we can extrapolate the truth from a verse or passage?

I agree with you Elle, using the word "kill" was a bad choice.

Good choice of quote Alchemy. I'm glad that you are interested in this subject also and you're agreeing with my perception that "kill" is a bad word choice to kick this off.

I haven't been involved with Green and APL multiple discussions; but I did read a couple of posts and know they've been at it for quite awhile.

Green, APL -- How long have you been on this subject of Kill verses murder? Has it been years now? and how many? Do you think you guys can resolve this in a couple of pages?

It is fine that you discuss about the word kill. I'm glad that you can exchange something that you both are interested in and both passionate about.

However, if this is something that cannot be resolved simply -- maybe the title of this discussion should be changed "The Power of the Word Kill -- Why Definitions Matter". That would be more descriptive.

Blessings
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179820
03/15/16 04:14 PM
03/15/16 04:14 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

This thread is for definition studies. Not theological debate, per se. Thank you for respecting that.

Alchemy,

I believe that every word of the Bible is significant. That is the message we find in Matthew 4:4 and Luke 4:4.

Elle et al.,

This discussion is important, even though some terms may be controversial, because, actually, every single word in the list I posted in the OP is controversial. The fact is, people come to the Bible with a predetermined opinion, then arbitrarily suggest the meaning for its words that appears to fit their personal theology. Satan knows that if he can just warp people's understandings of the meanings of the words, he has succeeded in a great measure with altering their theologies and doctrines. Here's an attempt to portray the situation graphically:

START HERE
|
|> Authority --> Word meanings/definitions --> Concepts --> Understandings --> Beliefs --> Theology --> Doctrines --> Life practice --> Character --> Eternal destiny

The first step is choosing an authority. I choose, by faith, to accept the Bible as my final authority for truth. This is a faith choice.

Once I have that, then I must understand its words. Definitions matter tremendously. This is the realm of focus for this thread. This impacts every subsequent level in the chain, and the devil knows this well.

After I understand the meanings of the words, my mind can frame their basic concepts/messages.

Following this, I translate those messages into understandings/interpretations.

This leads next to beliefs.

Beliefs directly impact one's theology and doctrines.

Out of these proceed, hopefully (if the beliefs are acted upon), one's life practices and habits.

Then comes character--and we all know our eternal destiny is at stake with the formation of our character.

It's fairly simple. You will notice that I have left out the "concept of God." That would come under "beliefs" and must necessarily follow an understanding of the meaning and message of the Word. If someone places the "concept of God" as preceding the understanding of the words of God, then one is essentially basing his or her views upon private opinion, by filtering everything through those "concept of God" glasses.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179821
03/15/16 05:00 PM
03/15/16 05:00 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
The first step is choosing an authority. I choose, by faith, to accept the Bible as my final authority for truth.

Even here, problems arise.

Words have multiple meanings.
People can find texts using the same word, but with a different meaning. Then by exchanging twist the meaning of texts yet still claim they are "getting their meaning from scripture".

Words can have their obvious meaning dismissed, and given symbolic meanings with total disregard as to whether a text is speaking symbolically or not.

Playing with semantics has been the devil's playground -- he is an expert Bible student.
Since the Bible has become readily available for all people, he has launched multiple schools of theology based on confusing semantics to undermine fundamental beliefs and truths that were clear, but are now thrown off into realms of "gnostic" confusion .

Actually the "gnostics" in early Christianity already started that trend in Christianity. Even earlier the Kabbalists in Judaism already launched "words" and with them truth, into confusion, prior to Christianity.

Not only must one be careful to find the "meaning of words", one must also be careful what school of thought they turn to that claims to know the meaning of those words.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179822
03/15/16 05:28 PM
03/15/16 05:28 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Studying English words will not solve the problem --
Bible writers wrote in a different language.

If I read my German Luther translated Bible it sounds different from the English Bible.

John 3:16 Denn Gott hat die Welt so geliebt, daß er seinen eingeborenen Sohn gab, damit jeder, der an ihn glaubt, nicht verloren gehe, sondern ewiges Leben habe.
For God have the world so loved that He His indigenously son gave so that everyone, that on Him believes, not lost go, instead everlasting life has.

English version:
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

There are several minor differences in the meaning of words.

eingeborenen has a closer meaning to indigenously
giving the meaning of being the only one "indigenous" (belong to or having the characteristic, a native of the same) to God.

Whereas the English "begotten" has a closer meaning to "generated" offspring.

The difference can have a profound effect on theology.

The other difference in Luther's translation is

verloren gehe = lost going (ending up lost)
while English uses the word "perishing".

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179827
03/15/16 10:30 PM
03/15/16 10:30 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Since "This thread is for definition studies. Not theological debate, per se"

Let's explore the word Luther translated as verloren gehe = lost going (ending up lost)
while English uses the word "perishing" in John 3:16

apollymi

According to Word Definitions apollymi means

destroy, to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to, ruin, a judgment of death, to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed

Now let's look at how the apostle John uses the word in his epistle.

It seems to appear FOUR times in John 3:15-16!

Quote:
Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should G622 not perish, G622 but have eternal life

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should G622 not perish, G622 but have everlasting life

apollymi mee apollymi translated in English as
should not perish
Why the double use of the word?

It emphasis the completeness of the fate of all if it were not for God sending his Son they should utterly perish .

Other uses of the word by apostle John:

Jhn 6:12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. G622

Jhn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, G622 but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you

Jhn 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose G622 nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day

Jhn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: G622 I am come that they might have life,

Jhn 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall G622 never perish, G622

Jhn 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish G622 not

Jhn 12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose G622 it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal

So from this study -- of context and use of the word
I see that whenever John uses the word G622 apollymi in conjunction with the term eternal life , it clearly has the opposite meaning of eternal life -- that is to perish, to be lost, ruined, utterly destroyed.

God's purpose is for believers to have eternal life. But to clarify this, we are given both the positive purpose (eternal life) and the flip side, the negative result which occurs to those who reject the gift.

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already.

SYMBOLIC OR LITERAL

Should we take the word symbolic? That's the next question.
Is the context framed in symbolic language?
If not then we should probably not take its words symbolically.
For example--
Is "eternal life" symbolic?
If not then the "perishing" is not symbolic either.
The context shows that God's gift of His Son is to save believers FROM perishing.

In John there is no middle ground: believe in the Son (resulting in eternal life) or refusing to believe (resulting in destruction) are the only options. Since “perish” is contrasted with “eternal life,” it stands to reason that perishing is eternal as well.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179833
03/16/16 12:03 AM
03/16/16 12:03 AM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
The Bible is careful to distinguish between "kill" and "murder."
Could you support that? I mean, why haven't you if you are going to proffer the statement?

Please do so.

Read Numbers chapter 35. We've had this particular discussion before elsewhere on this forum, and I don't have time to waste on doing your research for you, but that chapter is where God makes His definitions clear.
Yes, I recall you wasting everyone's time in the past, but did not distinguish between the words then, either. Easy to say you already have, hard to prove it. Numbers 35 talk about refuge cities. That does not define the words. As stated to you in the past.

Since you start a thread about definitions, initiate that there is a difference between killing and murder, but flat out refuse to give the Biblical definitions, what are we to conclude? That you are unable to give a simple paragraph definition from the Bible showing such? That you cannot find any such distinction in the Bible? It's not my "research" but yours in starting the thread.

Should I request Daryl close the thread as you refuse to support your opening premise, refusing to give the definitions? I mean, the topic is "The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter", right?
Why not list the two?

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179834
03/16/16 01:20 AM
03/16/16 01:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Those who do not see the definitions because they would conflict with strongly held personal opinions (e.g. "God does not kill") are choosing to interpret scripture, including its definitions, in a manner inconsistent with the scriptures themselves. The Bible defines the distinctions between killing and murder. That some cannot see this does not mean the distinction has not been defined. The thread where this particular distinction has been discussed before can be found HERE. I think it is clear enough from the Bible, if one looks at the evidence objectively.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: dedication] #179835
03/16/16 01:46 AM
03/16/16 01:46 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: dedication
Since "This thread is for definition studies. Not theological debate, per se"

Let's explore the word Luther translated as verloren gehe = lost going (ending up lost)
while English uses the word "perishing" in John 3:16

apollymi

According to Word Definitions apollymi means

destroy, to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to, ruin, a judgment of death, to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed

Now let's look at how the apostle John uses the word in his epistle.

It seems to appear FOUR times in John 3:15-16!

Quote:
Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should G622 not perish, G622 but have eternal life

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should G622 not perish, G622 but have everlasting life

apollymi mee apollymi translated in English as
should not perish
Why the double use of the word?

It emphasis the completeness of the fate of all if it were not for God sending his Son they should utterly perish .

Other uses of the word by apostle John:

Jhn 6:12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. G622

Jhn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, G622 but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you

Jhn 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose G622 nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day

Jhn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: G622 I am come that they might have life,

Jhn 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall G622 never perish, G622

Jhn 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish G622 not

Jhn 12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose G622 it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal

So from this study -- of context and use of the word
I see that whenever John uses the word G622 apollymi in conjunction with the term eternal life , it clearly has the opposite meaning of eternal life -- that is to perish, to be lost, ruined, utterly destroyed.

God's purpose is for believers to have eternal life. But to clarify this, we are given both the positive purpose (eternal life) and the flip side, the negative result which occurs to those who reject the gift.

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already.

SYMBOLIC OR LITERAL

Should we take the word symbolic? That's the next question.
Is the context framed in symbolic language?
If not then we should probably not take its words symbolically.
For example--
Is "eternal life" symbolic?
If not then the "perishing" is not symbolic either.
The context shows that God's gift of His Son is to save believers FROM perishing.

In John there is no middle ground: believe in the Son (resulting in eternal life) or refusing to believe (resulting in destruction) are the only options. Since “perish” is contrasted with “eternal life,” it stands to reason that perishing is eternal as well.

Yes, that is a consistent manner of understanding the meaning of a word from its context. This brings me to the question of why multiple words like "everlasting," "eternal," "perpetual," and "for ever" have been relegated by most Adventists to a rather unintuitive meaning of "until it is done/finished." If words are supposed to have meaning at all, why would we ignore their obvious purpose, including their contextual use in the Bible, in order to mis-define them? Misdefinitions of Bible words are all too common these days, and they come up because of people's preconceived opinions and in trying to make the Bible fit their view.

Instead of looking to see how something supports our view, we should look to see what the Bible is saying. Mrs. White tells us we should accept a "plain reading" of the Bible. If one must go to contortions to explain what something evidently means, chances are higher that the explanation is incongruent with the Bible's meaning or intent.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179840
03/16/16 03:14 PM
03/16/16 03:14 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - you are laying out ground rules which conform to your idea of how we should proceed. You want to divorce a definition from the theological meaning, but is that valid? I don't think so. Is that because of my preconceived ideas or yours? Kill - this means to cause death. But what does the Bible tell us about death? That it came from Satan, not God. We have to take the Bible as a whole.

One text teaches how man was first formed. Another text makes known the process of his dissolution. What God did in creating, death undoes by dissolving. How did death get the power to step in and undo the Creator's work? Man forfeited his right to live by sinning against God. Death entered by sin. Romans 5:12. Death, then, has an evil parentage. In fact, it has a bad character in the book of God; it is not a friend, but an enemy; and so serious and formidable a foe is it that its destruction is made the subject of special promise to the people of God. 1 Corinthians 15:26. The power of death Satan himself has controlled. Hebrews 2:14. Death came from the devil, just as life came from God.

God gave to man life, and instructed him that if he would obey him, he should continue to live. The devil told Eve that she should, by sinning, be introduced to a higher life, brought death upon our race. Death is the child of sin and Satan. What does Jesus call him because of this work? A murderer. John 8:44

The Lord God formed the man out of the dust of the ground. Death causes that dust to return to the earth as it was before it formed the man. If God does the first work, it is not God that destroys it. No; indeed. An enemy is the doer of all this.

To divorce your definition of kill from the Bible defintion will not work. God is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179841
03/16/16 04:36 PM
03/16/16 04:36 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I guess the only way to solve this and keep it from turning into massive EGW quoting in which the only result is to convince the casual visitors to this forum to think EGW contradicts herself -- is to collect examples of just how the different words are used in scripture.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!