HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,885 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179891
03/18/16 01:36 PM
03/18/16 01:36 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Cain did NOT obey God in killing Abel. David OBEYED God in killing Goliath.
That is a SWAN example.

Israel fought wars, Israel was God's people, God then wants war. SWAN

Israel had kings, David was a king, David was a person after God's own heart, God wanted Israel to have a king.
SWAN

David had a many wifes. God approves of pleural marriages.
SWAN

Israel divorced their spouses, God gave rules for divorce, God approves of divorce.
SWAN

God gave laws for eating meat, thus eating meat is just fine.
SWAN

dedication quotes the Bible when it says there is a time to kill. She should also quote this: Psa_137:9 Happy shall he be, that takes and dashes your little ones against the stones.

An inner city kid can read the Bible and if lead by the Spirit can know the doctrine and never ever hear the term ratsach. The inner city kid can learn that hate is also murder. That kid can learn what God is really like by the testimony of Jesus. The Jews of Jesus time knew their Bible. Many had memorized it! And they killed the Son of God. Why? Because they did not have the right definition of the words? Word which were in their native language so there was no translation issues? Green, you think the worst error in the KJV is in the translation of the 10C, you have stated such in the past. Perhaps the problem is not with the KJV but with your preconceived ideas of what God really wants. Those Sabbath keeping, tithe paying, health reforming, Bible quoting Adventists of Jesus day, killed Him.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179893
03/18/16 04:19 PM
03/18/16 04:19 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here's the BIG DEAL, and perhaps the most important reason that one must exercise special caution in understanding these definitions:

The end result of believing that all killing is "murder," and therefore "sin," is the erroneous belief that one cannot safely obey God.

APL must, of necessity in order to be consistent with his view, rationalize that God's commands need to be filtered through his private interpretation first before they can be safe to follow. If any killing is "murder," as forbidden in the Ten Commandments, then it follows that:
  1. God gave the wrong command to the people of Israel in telling them to stone the Sabbath-breaker;
  2. God gave the wrong command to the people to destroy the Canaanites;
  3. God did the wrong thing in destroying people like Nadab & Abihu, Korah, Dathan, & Abiram, the antediluvians, the Canaanites, Uzzah, the first-born sons of Egypt, Senacherib's army, and many more throughout the Bible; and
  4. God will do the wrong thing in destroying the wicked in hell.

Usually, because those who have already gotten off the track of truth from the definition stage onward cannot accept that God would do anything wrong, they make another error in claiming that the Bible does not mean what it says, and that every time the Bible says God did one of these "evil" things, Satan was actually the one doing it, not God. Essentially, this view claims that parts of the Bible are lying, and cannot be believed. According to this view, Abraham should never have thought God would ask him to kill; the people should not have obeyed God in killing the Sabbath-breaker or Achan; and they only did these things of the hardness of their hearts. Again, private opinion supercedes the Bible.

In the end, private opinions on the topic become inconsistent. According to Mrs. White, the parts of the Bible that people prefer not to hear or believe are frequently the very parts they need most. As this particular error in theology, stemming from mis-definitions, is one I have never fallen prey to, I do not claim to understand what portion of the sinful nature might be gratified by such a belief. But there very likely is one, if Ellen White is to be believed.

We are in a battle for our souls. Only the truth will set us free. Jesus came to help us know the truth. He has been teaching His people since the beginning of their creation. Our only hope is to lay aside our prejudices, our biases, and our sins, and accept His truth and salvation by faith. We may not understand everything now, but He will make everything plain to us in His time.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179894
03/18/16 04:21 PM
03/18/16 04:21 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dedication,

One reason I've returned to this topic from the "definitions" standpoint is that I have realized just how crucial these definitions are, and their proper understanding may very well be salvific. This is not a discussion for debate, nor for fun, nor to "win." It is simply for truth. Satan is playing the game of life for our souls and for keeps--for eternity. We cannot let down our guard, and we cannot trust ourselves in this battle. Every one of us must surrender our judgment to the will of God, and be seeking that openly, honestly, and humbly. If we have misunderstood something in the past, we must not maintain our errors pridefully, but rather be grateful for God's mercy in bringing them to light that we might yet have a chance at His salvation.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: APL] #179895
03/18/16 04:36 PM
03/18/16 04:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Green, you think the worst error in the KJV is in the translation of the 10C, you have stated such in the past.

This might be a good example of the power of words--the topic for this thread. I don't believe I ever stated that. Please find my quote to back up your statement. I try to be careful with my words, knowing their potential significance. What you have quoted does not exhibit my usual care in selecting words that express my beliefs; therefore, I believe it is a misquote.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: dedication] #179896
03/18/16 05:44 PM
03/18/16 05:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Yet that side whose main point is God would never take life away from anyone, is NOT logical, because all life is from God, He can prolong life as long as He wants to prolong it, reversing any ill effects. If it weren't for His life giving power, we won't even have life.
Would the contrast be that if it weren't for His death giving power, no one would die?

Quote:
Scripture, especially the OT has to be completely rewritten to defend that God never ended any human life.
But again, who killed Saul? The Bible states what happened and how. But yet it states, "And enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse."
Do we "rewrite" that? Or do we understand what the Bible is saying rather than taking some dogmatic odd and selfish position? And if we try to understand this verse, that God didn't "slay" Saul, but stopped protecting him, then what about other places where it talks of fire from God or what not?

Quote:
But He does it to deliver His people from sin and destruction. He KNOWS who has rejected life in Him and given themselves up to evil, we don't.
So you say He kills some people to save others?
?
!

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179897
03/18/16 05:51 PM
03/18/16 05:51 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Dedication,

One reason I've returned to this topic from the "definitions" standpoint is that I have realized just how crucial these definitions are, and their proper understanding may very well be salvific. This is not a discussion for debate, nor for fun, nor to "win." It is simply for truth. Satan is playing the game of life for our souls and for keeps--for eternity. We cannot let down our guard, and we cannot trust ourselves in this battle. Every one of us must surrender our judgment to the will of God, and be seeking that openly, honestly, and humbly. If we have misunderstood something in the past, we must not maintain our errors pridefully, but rather be grateful for God's mercy in bringing them to light that we might yet have a chance at His salvation.

So why not list the definitions for all? Why be vague and tell people they should look elsewhere for them because you need to spend your time in being vague and ambiguous? If these definitions are so crucial and "salvific", why not be forthright and list them? How many people are going to be lost because you choose to hide these definitions?

What are you afraid of, Green?

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: kland] #179898
03/18/16 06:01 PM
03/18/16 06:01 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
So why not list the definitions for all? Why be vague and tell people they should look elsewhere for them because you need to spend your time in being vague and ambiguous? If these definitions are so crucial and "salvific", why not be forthright and list them? How many people are going to be lost because you choose to hide these definitions?

What are you afraid of, Green?

I'm not afraid of anything, kland, except that people will reject the truth. Let me ask you a serious question:

What was Jesus afraid of that made Him cloak His most profound truths in parables? Why did He not simply "tell all"? ... lay out His definitions plainly for all to see?

He gave some definitions, yes. I don't claim to be so wise as He, by any means, but I do try to learn from His example. Sometimes I will present things plainly. Sometimes I will let people learn and study more for themselves. If one does not work a little to learn something, most probably he or she will little appreciate its value.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: kland] #179899
03/18/16 07:30 PM
03/18/16 07:30 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
I agree with kland. That's a major problem when people don't accept what scriptures says and rewrites it, twist it, or add to it to say what they want it to say.

People that does that will never be able to see God's true definition of words.

I was in the camp of "God does not kill" for a few years in another forum. I have pulled all the tricks in the bag possible to make scriptures say what it didn't say just so I would preserve my pre-conceived picture of who God should look like and act like.
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Yet that side whose main point is God would never take life away from anyone, is NOT logical, because all life is from God, He can prolong life as long as He wants to prolong it, reversing any ill effects. If it weren't for His life giving power, we won't even have life.
Would the contrast be that if it weren't for His death giving power, no one would die?

Quote:
Scripture, especially the OT has to be completely rewritten to defend that God never ended any human life.
But again, who killed Saul? The Bible states what happened and how. But yet it states, "And enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse."
Do we "rewrite" that? Or do we understand what the Bible is saying rather than taking some dogmatic odd and selfish position? And if we try to understand this verse, that God didn't "slay" Saul, but stopped protecting him, then what about other places where it talks of fire from God or what not?

Quote:
But He does it to deliver His people from sin and destruction. He KNOWS who has rejected life in Him and given themselves up to evil, we don't.
So you say He kills some people to save others?
?
!

Blessings
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179900
03/18/16 08:29 PM
03/18/16 08:29 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
As far as Cain hating Abel, if scriptures were not explicit enough (and I believe they are) in telling that story,

Show me where it says or implies that Cain hated his brother. I've looked before posting, and I found none.

Originally Posted By: Green
Mrs. White uses the wording that you are looking for.

Quoting Ellen when you can't find it in the Bible? No, no... Ellen said no, no. Well, you probably missed these counsels of Mrs. White. There's many more like that.

Quote:
Don't you quote Sister White. I don't want you ever to quote Sister White until you get your vantage ground where you know where you are. Quote the Bible. Talk the Bible. It is full of meat, full of fatness. Carry it right out in your life, and you will know more Bible than you know now. (Spaulding-Magan Collection, p. 174).

The testimonies of Sister White should not be carried to the front. God's Word is the unerring standard. The Testimonies are not to take the place of the Word.... Let all prove the positions from the Scriptures and substantiate every point they claim as truth from the revealed Word of God. (Evangelism, p. 256)

The Bible is our rule of faith and doctrine. (Gospel Workers, p. 249)

Green provide Biblical basis that Cain "hated" Abel. If we cannot find support in the Bible to define a word, then it just doesn't mean what you would like it to mean.

Originally Posted By: Green
Even if "hatred" were not involved in that killing, "ratsach" would still apply, because it also includes killing "without a cause."

"ratsach" is not define as killing "without a cause". Where did you get that definition?

What I see coming out of these two words and its usage employed in the Bible :

1- ratsach means slaying because of previous hatred for someone, whereas
2- harag is slaying without any previous hate towards that person, but for other reason.

These are the two words that are the closest to our "Pre-meditated murdering" English word definition.

My brief Biblical Summary of what I got from these words up 'till now :(I'm sure there's more to find, we just need to keep reading and pondering on it letting the Spirit guide our thinking)

"ratsach" is proper definition is "to dash into pieces" and the Bible has defined it 5 times(including Jesus in NT) as killing thy brother because you hated him previously.

Originally Posted By: Elle
Yes, I agree with APL ratsach definition is more than murdering or killing; it's about whether or not we hate our brother like Jesus brings forth the definition more deeply.

That "hate" factor in the definition was also given to Moses in the following as underlined:

AV Dt 4:42 "That the slayer might flee thither, which should kill his neighbour unawares, and hated him not in times past; and that fleeing unto one of these cities he might live:"

and also in

AV Dt 19:4 "And this [is] the case of the slayer, which shall flee thither, that he may live: Whoso killeth his neighbour ignorantly, whom he hated not in time past;"

AV Dt 19:6 "Lest the avenger of the blood pursue the slayer, while his heart is hot, and overtake him, because the way is long, and slay him; whereas he [was] not worthy of death, inasmuch as he hated him not in time past."

AV Dt 19:11 "But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities:"

The law of God is all about loving thy Lord and thy neighbor. Even if you technically didn't kill your brother and didn't have the need "to run to a refuge city" -- but still hated your brother and probably do take opportunity to "rise up against him"; Jesus is basically saying you are still guilty of the penalty of breaking the 6th commandment of "ratsach".

So that's going a little deeper into the surface literal definition of the word. There's a spiritual definition of that word also. And that's a principle that we find all over scriptures.

Whereas haragis "to smite with deadly intent" where the employement of #2 to #8 clearly show there's no "hatred" involve with the slaying of these people.

Originally Posted By: Elle
H2026 - harag "to smite with deadly intent"
slay 100x, kill 24x, murder 2x

1-Cain slay(harag) Abel
2- Simeon and Levi when they slayed that whole city
3- The Lord slay the firstborn of Egypt
4- The people was slayed after the Golden calf
5- The Israelites slayed the Midianites
6- When the Israelites entered Canaan they slay(harag) the nations
7-the death sentences in the laws of judgments
8-to slay animals to eat during the Tabernacle feasts

Blessings
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #179901
03/19/16 12:47 AM
03/19/16 12:47 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Elle,

I don't understand how someone could read the story of Cain killing his brother and not realize that hatred was involved. It was, in fact, the same kind of hatred that resulted in Jesus' death--the jealous kind.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
4:6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
4:8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Cain was jealous of his brother because his brother's offering was accepted and his wasn't. This is the reason he got so angry at his brother. It wasn't his brother's fault that Cain's offering had not been accepted. Cain was blaming Abel for his own error, and killed him over it. The story has "hate" written all over it, even though the actual word is not used here. However, in the New Testament, reference is made with a word nearer to this in meaning. Consider the following:

1 John
3:12 Not as Cain, [who] was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew[sphazō] he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
3:13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

The Greek "sphazō" means to slay, slaughter, butcher; to put to death by violence. It is only used in the New Testament in cases where it was unwarranted and unjust. But the chapter of 1 John itself connects this kind of murder with the concept of hate, in actual words. Two verses later we read:

3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

The word "murderer" there comes from the Greek "anthrōpoktonos" meaning manslayer/murderer. Jesus also taught that to hate is to murder, as APL correctly noted earlier.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!