HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180513
05/09/16 04:24 PM
05/09/16 04:24 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
You do realize that's not talking about a weekly rest.
And some would say, therefore it spiritualizes the weekly Sabbath away.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180523
05/10/16 01:26 AM
05/10/16 01:26 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Therefore a Sabbath Rest Remains for the people of God. (Hebs. 4:9)

The Sabbath continues. The verb "remains" is "(apoleipetai) which literally means "has been left."
The Greek word translated "rest" in every other passage throughout Hebrews 3 and 4 is "katapausis." The word for "rest" in Hebrews 4:9 is (sabbatismos). The term (sabbatismos) is seen in the writings of Plutarch, Justin, Epiphanius, and others, and each time the term denotes the observance of the Sabbath. Therefore the text is saying, that Sabbath obsevance remains for the people of God. Later the author tells us what has been abolished BUT FIRST he confirms the SABBATH REST remains behind for the people of God.
You do realize that's not talking about a weekly rest.
And some would say, therefore it spiritualizes the weekly Sabbath away.

I assumed you were addressing the text that I quoted.

Hebrews 3 and 4 does speak about the spiritual rest, that's true. However, why would the author speak of the spiritual rest using the term ""katapausis" G2663 each and every time when speaking of entering into this "spiritual rest"?

Quote:
katapausis=rest
Heb 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) G2663

Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, G2663 but to them that believed not?

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, G2663 any of you should seem to come short of it.

Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, G2663 as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: G2663 although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. G2663 ...as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, G2663 he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, G2663 lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

But then when speaking of WHAT REMAINS --
he uses a totally different word?

Sabbatismos = Sabbath keeping

Heb. 4:9
There remaineth (it is left, it wasn't done away with) Sabbatismos (keeping of the Sabbath) to the people of God

The word (sabbatismos) is only once in scripture (here in Hebrews 4:9) Yet the meaning of the word is understood by studying how other writings used the word -- the writings of Plutarch, Justin, Epiphanius, and others, and each time the term denotes the observance of the Sabbath -- keeping the Sabbath.

So, far from spiritualizing the Sabbath away, this passage bases the spiritual "rest" on our experience of literal rest in Christ on each weekly Sabbath.

Each week we stop all our work, stop "making a living" etc. and rest in Christ. As we read in Ezekial 20:12, the Sabbath is a sign that we may know that it is the LORD that sanctify us, and we are resting in Him.

Sabbatismoz helps us understand the "katapausis".

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180527
05/10/16 04:44 PM
05/10/16 04:44 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Attempt answers and thoughts to several questions and comments.

Kland asked -- are any other commandments not explicitly commanded by Jesus?

Answer: Yes, the third commandment, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord Thy God in vain."
However the principle of that command is often given --

APL asked -- Did Noah keep the Sabbath? Abraham? We have Genesis 2, but no word about the Sabbath until Exodus 16....

Answer: True there is no explicit command till Exodus 16, yet Geneses 26:5 says "Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." This verses sounds like Abraham knew a lot more about God's law and statutes than what is actually recorded in scripture.
The point of the question of course is -- just because God's commandment isn't repeated doesn't mean God changed his law!

The verse implies that God's "Commandments," "Statutes," and "laws" were known to Abraham hundreds of years before Moses. And why not? Abraham could have heard it from Shem, who heard it from Methusalah, who heard it from Adam, who heard it from God.

APL'S also asks us to back up a little in the history of Israel, Exodus chapter 16 took place before Israel arrived at Sinai, before God revealed to them the commandments from the mountain top, before He made the covenant with them.

Ex. 16 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather [manna], and they found none.
And the LORD said unto Moses, HOW LONG REFUSE YOU TO KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS AND MY LAWS?

Apparently the commandments and laws, as well as the Sabbath were already known before Sinai, for why else would God reprimand them for not keeping His commandments and laws?

Alchemy stated: "it's not much of a stretch at all to expect the Patriarchs to know about the Sabbath"

Answer: True!
It's much more of a "stretch" to think they didn't know.

The critics build a case against the Sabbath on periods of "silence".
However, no mention is found in the book of Joshua, nor in Judges, nor Ruth, nor in first Samuel, nor second Samuel, nor in first Kings that people observed the Sabbath. It is not until we reach the book of second Kings that the Sabbath is mentioned again. That covers a period of more than 500 years. Does this mean none of the judges or people kept the Sabbath after they entered the promised land, during all those years, even though it was after Sinai?

History reveals the perversion of the Seventh day Sabbath in very ancient years. After the flood, the descendants of Noah centered their civilization in the Mesopotamia region and there, in ancient writings, we see the perversion of God's Sabbath. Their ancient calendars call the seventh day "sa ba tu" --rest day. But they perverted it and it became a day when the "gods" rested, and people were required to work hard to appease the gods on that day. However, the true Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath (Mark 2:27) and God's people, no matter their position as ruler or servant, were to rest and delight themselves in the Lord upon that day. (Exodus 20:10 Isaiah 58:13). The very fact that the 7th day Sabbath was so perverted in the early Mesopotamian culture, shows that it was known.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: dedication] #180531
05/10/16 08:29 PM
05/10/16 08:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication
Hebrews 3 and 4 does speak about the spiritual rest, that's true. However, why would the author speak of the spiritual rest using the term ""katapausis" G2663 each and every time when speaking of entering into this "spiritual rest"?
Could it be because he means each and every time, "spiritual rest"?

Sorry, it's not talking about weekly rest. Otherwise, Sunday keepers might attempt to make a valid claim. He's talking about a different rest than the Sabbath weekly rest. He's comparing and contrasting the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest.

Try plugging in "weekly Sabbath" in each case of Hebrews 3 & 4 and see if it still makes sense to you. Do you think they did not keep the Sabbath in the wilderness? Do you think Joshua did not have them keep the Sabbath?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180532
05/10/16 10:22 PM
05/10/16 10:22 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Kland, I'm not sure, but it seems you miss the main point of what I've been sharing.

Eight times the author talks about "rest" using "katapausis" G2663

Hebrews 4:9 is a different WORD.

Why did the author of Hebrews use a different word in that verse?
when speaking of WHAT REMAINS --
He uses a totally different word

Sabbatismos = Sabbath keeping

Heb. 4:9
There remaineth (it is left, it wasn't done away with) Sabbatismos (keeping of the Sabbath) to the people of God.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180533
05/10/16 11:06 PM
05/10/16 11:06 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Sorry, it's not talking about weekly rest. Otherwise, Sunday keepers might attempt to make a valid claim. He's talking about a different rest than the Sabbath weekly rest. He's comparing and contrasting the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest.

Agreed -- the author is comparing the weekly Sabbath rest to the ultimate rest, but more -- he is comparing it to the rest in Christ. But there is also a reverse truth -- true keeping of the weekly Sabbath involves experiencing a special rest in Christ that few find .

Originally Posted By: Kland
Try plugging in "weekly Sabbath" in each case of Hebrews 3 & 4 and see if it still makes sense to you.

Of course not -- the author is comparing the weekly Sabbath rest to the rest of salvation in Christ. One can't compare if everything refers to the same thing. There are a number of examples of "rest" in the chapter. Due to rebellion the first generation of Hebrews couldn't enter the "rest" in the promised land. Yet, even the generation that did enter the promised land didn't find the "rest".

Do you think they did not keep the Sabbath in the wilderness?

Ezekiel says they didn't --
Ezekiel 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments,... and my sabbaths they greatly polluted:...so I lifted up my hand unto them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given...
20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.
20:17 Nevertheless mine eye spared them from destroying them, neither did I make an end of them in the wilderness.

Sure they kept the Sabbaths as far as the "rule" of not doing certain things that day -- but there seems to have been a real problem with where their hearts were.
They weren't really keeping the Sabbath -- the text says they were polluting the Sabbath.
Hebrews is quoting from Ezekiel chapter 20.

Do you think Joshua did not have them keep the Sabbath?

Again == there was Sabbath observance according to the rules, but is that real "keeping the Sabbath holy"?

As time went on, Isaiah 1, tells us their Sabbath keeping was worse than in the wilderness -- so much so that God says He hated it!

Isaiah 1:13your sabbaths, the calling of assemblies... it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
1:14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them....when you make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
1:16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;...
1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
1:19 If ye be willing and obedient,

I would say they weren't keeping the Sabbath day holy but were polluting it, even though they were following certain rules in regards to the day.

The author of Hebrews points out that "Sabbatismos" remains --
the keeping of the Sabbath remains, and when we find the true meaning of keeping that weekly Sabbath in the Lord, striving to enter into the true rest the weekly Sabbath was meant to provide, we will also find the meaning of the rest found in salvation in Christ.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180545
05/11/16 08:34 PM
05/11/16 08:34 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
What you say about the Hebrews may be true. But that doesn't mean that's what Hebrews is talking about.

Are you saying Joshua only gave them rules and not heart?

Or is it that what Joshua gave, whether rules or heart, is not the same rest we look forward to? That is, even if they kept in the heart of the matter, there still remains a rest.

Because otherwise, you would be agreeing that there's another day, "sunday", where the true heart following is. And I don't think you want to go there...

Have you read the SDA commentary on Hebrews 3 and 4? Is there something you disagree with them?

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: kland] #180558
05/12/16 02:06 PM
05/12/16 02:06 PM
A
Alchemy  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2018

Most Dedicated Member
Asia
What you say about the Hebrews may be true. But that doesn't mean that's what Hebrews is talking about.

Are you saying Joshua only gave them rules and not heart?

Or is it that what Joshua gave, whether rules or heart, is not the same rest we look forward to? That is, even if they kept in the heart of the matter, there still remains a rest.

Because otherwise, you would be agreeing that there's another day, "sunday", where the true heart following is. And I don't think you want to go there...

Have you read the SDA commentary on Hebrews 3 and 4? Is there something you disagree with them?

I'm confused on this discussion.

I have always understood Hebrews 4:1-10 or 11, to be talking about the ultimate rest in Christ! This would include the rest on God's seventh day Sabbath.

Am I missing something?

As far as the reference to Joshua, I believe it addresses the rest for God's people in entering the Promised Land. Yet, the Israelites never fully entered into that rest and consequently, ended up polluting God's seventh day Sabbath.

In Joshua chapter 23, Joshua encourages God's people to completely occupy the Promised Land that God would give them the victory! But, they never did. God is telling us to not make the same mistake that the Israelites made in the time of Joshua.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180559
05/12/16 05:38 PM
05/12/16 05:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
" never fully entered into that rest and consequently, ended up polluting God's seventh day Sabbath."

Yes and no. Not what Hebrews 4 is talking about regarding "rest". But it's true that since they never entered true rest, that they'd violate all other laws. Including the Sabbath, but not exclusive.

"In Joshua chapter 23, Joshua encourages God's people to completely occupy the Promised Land that God would give them the victory! But, they never did. God is telling us to not make the same mistake that the Israelites made in the time of Joshua."

But nothing talking exclusive of the Sabbath commandment.

Re: Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment? [Re: Rick H] #180560
05/13/16 05:21 AM
05/13/16 05:21 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Even though there are good points in the SDA commentary, I would have to say, no, I don't agree with their general interpretation of Hebrews 9:4.

Originally Posted By: Alchemy
I'm confused on this discussion.
I have always understood Hebrews 4:1-10 or 11, to be talking about the ultimate rest in Christ! This would include the rest on God's seventh day Sabbath.

I think you have the right foundational idea. The "rest" the "katapausis" G2663, is the "rest" that is found in Christ.

Jesus says == Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

This "rest" stands at the central core of the gospel -- it demands faith in Christ, believing in Christ, and leads to finding rest for our souls in Him.

"Rest for your souls" This was the rest into which God wanted to lead the Israelites.
They eventually entered the "promised land", but they didn't find the "rest" for their souls.

This argument the author of Hebrews applies to his own generation. The Jews considered themselves as God's chosen people. They had entered the promised land and established themselves there. Yes, they were in the land, but they certainly had not had rest from their enemies, nor were they resting in God. These things do not bring "rest for the soul".

The rest of the soul, which Christ wants to bestow upon His followers is closely associated with the Sabbath.

What kept the Israelites out of this rest? And how does the author of Hebrews say his generation can enter the rest?

Hebrews 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest,

It is based on "believing" -- on faith.

The author of this chapter is talking about God's rest -- His rest. "They shall enter into my rest." The time is not some future date, but TODAY, we which have believed do enter into rest. Those who don't enter, didn't enter because of unbelief.

Last edited by dedication; 05/14/16 02:23 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!