HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,241 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: dedication] #179604
03/02/16 03:53 PM
03/02/16 03:53 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
Originally Posted By: Elle
The context says everyone says "in the Lord I have righteousness and strenght" this is an allegiance, a wanting to follow Him, a dedication of ones life to Him, etc...

Are you sure?

In the passage God has proclaimed that every knee will bow and every tongue will swear...
To kneel and to swear does involve complete recognition of the sovereignty, justice and power of the One to whom they bow -- that's true enough. It does not follow, however that this is a picture of universal repentance or of salvation.

Be careful. There are two gestures (bow & swear) both having their own meanings. You are combining both of these gesture into one -- to swear. Non, non, non.

Meaning of the Two gestures

1.bowing the knee -- is a submission. All throughout the Bible this is the meaning of bowing before other Gods. This is why Daniel's friends did not bow down to the statue, because it means submission to the god the statue represents.

2. the tongue that swear -- is saying an oath. What type of oath or swearing are they saying?

These are the possibilities that comes to mind. If there's others, please let me know :

a) to swear whatever you are saying is the truth : it could be in a court of law, or to an individual, or to a group of people. This is not the case in this context.

b) to swear that you keep your end of the bargan-contract, your words, or keep this charge. This is also not the case in this context.

c) to swear an allegiance to an authority, to your leader, to a god, to a country, etc... This does fit this context because #1 they have bowed their knee before hand which means they had submitted to someone.

There is a sharp juxtaposition in the following verse.

"Only in the LORD, it is said of me, is righteousness and strength; even to him shall men come; and all those who were incensed against him shall be disappointed." HNV

"“They will say of Me, ‘Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength.’
Men will come to Him,
And all who were angry at Him will be put to shame. NASB

"They will say of me, ‘In the LORD alone are deliverance and strength.’ ” All who have raged against him will come to him and be put to shame.

I don't see any juxaposition.

The enemies of Jehovah are inflamed; enraged; angry, their attitude is not one of loving worship, they are active in indignation against the very ONE Whose glory and justice they can't help but honor and acknowledge.

AV Isa 45:24 "Surely, shall [one] say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: [even] to him shall [men] come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.

The text above doesn't say as you allude that anger is in their heart and is their attitude when they bowed in submission and swore . The text says clearly the following:

a) "Surely, shall one say, in the Lord have I righteousness and strength: " : Surely -- mean truly, I have righteousness in the Lord -- this say their righteousness & strength rest in the Lord now. This is definitely a statement a new convert says and not someone that is angry as you suggest. No longer their righteousness & strength rest on themselves as it were before.

b) "even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed" : This statement that comes AFTER part a) qualifies who where these men by saying -- men shall come to the LORD and all that are "angry" against him shall be ashamed -- after knowing the truth, someone can be ashamed that they were angry at the Lord before. Or this can be a simple statement that the Lord successfully brought his enemies into shame.

Then since we went this far, let's bring more of the context by bringing verse 22 and verse 25.

AV Isa 45:22 "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.
AV Isa 45:25 In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.
"

So verse 22 the Lord is saying to everyone to look unto Him and be saved. This is the context "look...be ye saved" before the next verse were the Lord swears and his word will not return empty that "every knee bow and every tongue swear". This oath the Lord said was in response to verse 22 to qualify it in what He will do.

Then in verse 25 the same context is brought in a conclusive matter -- "ALL Israel [u]shall be JUSTIFIED[/i] and [u]shall GLORY[/i]". These words are words of what happens after someone submits and swear allegiance, not words of forced swearing when still angry unrepentant mob saying "ok ok you win, you are righteous God and not you can annihilate us".

Sorry dedication, what you say is not found in the context.

Plus Paul quotes Isaiah 45:25 "all Israel shall be saved" with other Isaiah & Hosea texts to show that the blindness & dispersion(judgment) of Israel was for the fulfillment of the "fulness of the nations"(Gentiles=ethnos)in his Rom 11 study.

The context of Is 45:22-25 does not say what you are saying dedication. I can't buy that.

Blessings
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: dedication] #179605
03/02/16 06:42 PM
03/02/16 06:42 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: ProdigalOne

The "confusion" is the claim being made that the soul is some sort of separate entity that exists apart from the physical body.

??? You must be talking about someone else because I did not say this nor allude to this concept

But you did say:

Yes -- "the soul that sinneth it shall die" Ezk 18:4

Notice in the above text it specifies that it is the SOUL that must die, not the body.

No. you are mis-representing what I said and I had clarified that to you by addressing every false assumption you had made of what I had said or implied. So here it appears that you deliberately mis-represent what I said to you after I had clarified what you did not understand beforehand. I hope it is not a deliberate mis-representation. I will repeat myself one more time, so there's no more of these assumption and mis-representation. Be careful.

In brief, my point in quoting Ezk 18:4 -- it is in the mind(=soul) that sin take place, and it is also in the mind someone repents -- which is a SPIRITUAL Death -- the death of that old person that is symbolized at baptism and we are raised to a new person that now submit our mind(soul) to the direction and leading of the Lord Jesus-Christ. This is the death -- the Spiritual death that I believe Paul dies daily. Paul does not die daily a Physical death.

That was my point, and my only point and my long post assert this. What you and Alchemy went on about the physical soul cannot live without the physical body and so on and so forth -- I never said so nor implied it or even was talking about the physical plane -- I was talking about the SPIRITUAL plane.

My association to that text and point was simply there's a SPIRITUAL Death.

ProdigalOne answer was not contrary to any Adventist teaching.
The church (and scripture) has always taught that when a person dies, he ceases to exist. The body infused with God's breath of life is a living soul. When the breath of life departs, the whole person is DEAD.

???ProdigalOne said the body goes to scheol -- scripture or our Church doesn't say that. The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches.

As far as identifying "ruwach" spirit and "neshamah" spirit and soul, these words are at times used interchangeably,

Not true. These words are very different. They are not even spelled with the same Hebrew letters. Not even related words by the Hebrew lettering definition -- as each Hebrew letter is a word that the sum of them define the whole word. The simple fact these words don't have the same letters, these words are not the same.

Nice try. I know you were trying to save ProdigalOne mistakes.

... thus not making it logical to classify them in separate boxes. (That would be for another thread)
We do know that God gives the "breath of life" that quickens the body into a living soul.

When that "breath of life" is gone, the person is dead.
What returns to God? God's life giving breath, but I also believe an exact transcript of the person's "soul" their character, thought patterns and individuality also returns to God -- sort of like a computer disk with the full digitized details what that person was. (Though God would have far superior methods than computer disks) At the resurrection all that information is restored into the resurrected new body-- we will be who we were before the first death. The soul is not an identity of it's own -- it has no life apart from the body, but God will have an exact transcript of the "soul" of every individual.

Anyone can make some speculation and define things what they think it means. But what matters and what stand is how the Lord defines things in scripture and what He teaches us these to mean via personal revelation in our life.

Your speculation above is "what dedication thinks" and dedication deduced this by saying ruach and nshamah is the same word. Your foundation is not strong if you have the attitude to not pay attention to the words the Lord's uses to expressed things.

BUT I must clarify -- what I said about the "soul" earlier is NOT exactly what you were saying at all.

You define soul as "think, reason, choose, have emotions, etc. They have character." and the "essence" of the individual. And that is exactly my definition of the soul also. And this is exactly the defintion of the mind too. The only thing I have done that you haven't is I took another step and said Soul = Mind. You didn't do that or say that, but by definition you said that.

I was saying that if this destruction at the end of the wide road means, as you wrote, that the soul is destroyed (but the body stays alive) then the ability to think, reason, choose, have emotions, etc. would be destroyed.

I have already addressed that same objection of yours in the other exchanged we had.

Let me quote what we previously exchange. We see below that you can only see the mind-Soul Death in a Physical plane, while I'm saying there's also a Spiritual mind-soul death -- the repentance and submission of the mind. This you do not want to make this association or acknowledge that there such repentance that takes place in the mind.

Probably its because you absolutely don't want to make either association of mind-soul or this spiritual death is the second death. I can understand that is the main problem for that gives an opening to take Rev 20 and the lake of fire symbolically. I will add to my reply in green to give more clarity when necessary. But I know clarification is not what you want.

Quote:
dedication : When a soul dies, the individual is no more.

Elle : I disagree. When a soul(mind) repents and submits(=spiritual death = the 2nd death) to the Spirit, the persons still is around until his body decays into the natural death(=physical death = the 1st death).

dedication : Also a soul CANNOT live with out the body.
When the body dies, the soul is dead.

Elle: I agree on the physical level --the physical brain[=body] needs to be functioning for the soul[mind] to exist. However there's two deaths like there's two births: the first being a physical death(or birth) and the second, a spiritual death(or birth). Death on the Physical level = no functionality of body or soul. Death on the Spiritual level when the mind[=soul] repents & submits, the body is still just there and the mind is still there.

dedication : Now a body or object can live without a soul -- but it can't think, reason, choose, or have emotions -- it is a mere vegetable or plant. It has no character.

Elle : I think we are saying the same thing -- the soul is the mind. We believe the same thing here, but of course you don't make the soul=mind association

dedication: What does Paul mean when he says "I die daily"?
No, it does not mean the soul dies, or that the body dies daily. (That can't happen "daily" for once the body with the soul dies, it's dead)

Elle : I never said the soul can live outside the body. Re-read my post and above.

The soul is the "essence" of the individual, thus if his soul is destroyed, his very personhood would be destroyed.
What would be left, if the soul was destroyed but the body still alive? Just some mindless, emotionless robots bowing before the throne.

I agree, as I have confirmed above also. On the physical level when the soul is destroyed, then if the body is still ticking, I agreed with you that the person is mindless. But I DID NOT SAY the soul is being destroyed on a physical level at the Great White throne -- I said very clearly and repetively that the soul dies on a SPIRITUAL LEVEL= repentance of the MIND-soul being my main POINT. Stop mis-representing what I said.

Thus that text in Matthew cannot be explained as the transformation that takes place in a repentant person's heart and mind when he/she comes to Christ. The soul is NOT destroyed by sanctification. It is transformed, not destroyed.

A humbling is a destruction of the mind in the sense that your esteem of your reasoning, of your great decisions you've made, of how great your wisdom is, and etc... all that take place in the mind and this needs to be destroyed before we come to repentance and take the road to salvation. There's lots of text in prophecies where the Lord tells us how He will destroy us by humbling us. The Lord humbling us is part of the plan of salvation and is a necessary step before He can transform us. He has to knock down all those hyped-mountains-of-trust-in-our-abilities-in-our-mind so to prepare the way for the Lord sanctification.

The text in Matthew has a clear juxtaposition.

Strait gate and narrow path LEADS TO EVERLASTING LIFE.
Wide gate and broad road LEADS TO DESTRUCTION.

Everlasting life is one destination at the end of one road.
Destruction (not re-education), is the destination at the end of the other road.

Re-read my post about it. You are not even in context of what Jesus used the "narrow gate" teachings. You cannot just add your interpretation, without first studying in what context Jesus was using this for and what He has said about it.

If my rendering of what was said in scriptures is not correct then bring that specifically and let's address that.

I even left out the Greek and Hebrew definition of "DESTRUCTION" because my post was getting too long. Good thing for I was annoying Asygo. But the word used for "destruction" has to be looked at.

To give you a "tease" -- Jesus said the following :

"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost[apollumi, "to destroy fully"]" Mat 18:11

The word apollumi means "to destroy fully". So we could translate Mat 18:11 as "the Son of man is come to save that which was destroy" Destruction does not mean what you or Asygo has interpretated it to mean -- as the end road -- no salvation & complete annihilation.

Jesus said He came to save what was lost(destroyed). He cannot save those that still have faith in their superior MIND's ability to choose their own ways, to know their own truth, and etc... He has to destroy that trust of their Superior Mind[its ability to choose their own ways via knowledge] FIRST, before there's a chance for them to get into the path of life-salvation.

You bring on definition of words derived from English translation and defined by the world dictionary and phylosophy of the world. You need to go beyond the world's definition of words and its English translation of scriptures, and the Church interpretation of scriptures. You need to seek the Lord's definition, meanings, and interpretation.

Blessings
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #179607
03/03/16 01:13 AM
03/03/16 01:13 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Elle,

After looking at many of your posts, it seems to me that you are doing a lot of copying and pasting from another source, which tells me that these are not your original thoughts, but that you are in agreement in those thoughts.

I am not saying that it is wrong for you to do this, but am just wondering if that is what you are doing.

Am I correct in my assumption?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Elle] #179608
03/03/16 06:18 AM
03/03/16 06:18 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

The "confusion" is the claim being made that the soul is some sort of separate entity that exists apart from the physical body.

??? You must be talking about someone else because I did not say this nor allude to this concept

But you did say:

Notice in the above text it specifies that it is the SOUL that must die, not the body.

No. you are mis-representing what I said and I had clarified that to you by addressing every false assumption you had made of what I had said or implied.

I fully realize that you have made the "destruction" a symbolic destruction, and spiritualize the endtime destruction away to mean that everyone is humbled, repents and is re-educated.

You say the texts talking of end time "destruction" isn't "utter destruction" of the person, but a destruction of their minds causing them to repent, then being re-education. I disagree.

My point is that you are misinterpreting the text.
When the text says the "soul that sins will die"
I believe it will die, not be re-educated.

And even if you agree that "soul" means the mind, ability to think, reason, love, choose, the very essence of what makes a person, a person etc. if THAT IS DESTROYED, they will never understand spiritual things either.
The personhood will be destroyed, and if the body is still alive, it will be an empty shell --

That is the meaning of a "living soul". A dead "soul" has lost all those abilities.

You do not believe "destruction" in the end is actual destruction -- but only humbling, and re-educating of the mind.
While I believe "destruction" IS DESTRUCTION, not re-education.

I believe if the text says
the narrow road leads to life,
while the wide road leads to destruction, it means what it says.
LIFE and DESTRUCTION are opposites.
LIFE is LIFE, DESTRUCTION means destruction, not a life of being re-educated under some human priests, in what's supposedly the EARTHLY millennium.

I'm NOT MISINTERPRETING what you say --
I'm disagreeing with what I see as your interpretation, and showing why I disagree.

The text is saying something very different from what you are presenting.

In brief, my point in quoting Ezk 18:4 -- it is in the mind(=soul) that sin take place, and it is also in the mind someone repents -- which is a SPIRITUAL Death -- the death of that old person that is symbolized at baptism and we are raised to a new person that now submit our mind(soul) to the direction and leading of the Lord Jesus-Christ.

But that does not fit the text under discussion, or the text in Ezekiel that says the soul that sins will die.
It's side stepping a very prominent truth in scripture, and trying to replace it with another. Every time the Bible warns that unrepentant sinners will be destroyed, you try to turn it into sinners will be re-educated in a second life, so they will repent and be saved.

Ez. 18:18 The father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.
18:19 Yet say ye, Why? does not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son has done that which is lawful and right, has kept all my statutes, and has done them, he shall surely live.
18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

You fail to see the constant juxtaposition or contrasts between the saved from the unsaved.

Those texts are talking about life and death. Not two different paths to life.
The son who is abiding in God's righteousness and living accordingly will LIVE and not die.
What is this talking about? Everyone dies in this world whether they are good or bad. Thus it is talking about the eternal life beyond the grave.

The one who is not abiding in God's righteousness and living according to his wicked desires WILL DIE.
Now note the parallel argument.
The first (the son) will not die. (he will have eternal life)
The other will die. ( not have eternal life, but die the death from which there is no more resurrection)

One can't say the good son (who will not die) means he doesn't have to have the born again experience to have eternal life.
But the wicked father (who will die) is just having a born again experience thus he will live.

It doesn't fit.

This is the death -- the Spiritual death that I believe Paul dies daily. Paul does not die daily a Physical death.

But again -- it does not fit those texts.
To apply that concept to Ezekiel would be to imply that the good son (who will not die) means he doesn't have to "die daily" to have life.
But the wicked father (who will die) is just having to "die daily" in the second life and will also live.

Your speculation above is "what dedication thinks" and dedication deduced this

And what Elle writes, is what Elle speculates the Bible says, and deduces what Elle thinks the Bible is saying. Or she is quoting what someone else thinks the Bible is saying.

Everyone can only share what they see in scripture.

We see below that you can only see the mind-Soul Death in a Physical plane, while I'm saying there's also a Spiritual mind-soul death -- the repentance and submission of the mind. This you do not want to make this association or acknowledge that there such repentance that takes place in the mind.

Who is "we"?
And yes, I do believe the final destruction of the wicked is very physical.
The texts that speak of "repentance and submission" as part of conversion, are speaking of a spiritual "new birth" in THIS LIFE. This is NOT the second death.

The first death is a PHYSICAL death (we see it every time we go to a funeral -- it is the lot of every human)
The second death is a PHYSICAL death (it is a death from which there is no resurrection.

The SPIRITUAL death -- of repentance and dying to the things of the world and being alive to Christ that Paul speaks of, must happen BEFORE the first death,
Those who experience this "death to sin" and finding life in Christ, will not be hurt by the second death.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Elle] #179609
03/03/16 06:37 AM
03/03/16 06:37 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Destruction (not re-education), is the destination at the end of the other road.

Re-read my post about it. You are not even in context of what Jesus used the "narrow gate" teachings. You cannot just add your interpretation, without first studying in what context Jesus was using this for and what He has said about it.

7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.

I'll reread the text, not your post.
The text clearly says
the narrow road leads to life
the broad way leads to destruction

Life and destruction are the two destinations open to mankind.
Which will we choose.

To spiritualize away the obvious meaning would be to say
Those who enter the narrow gate don't have to die "the spiritual death" their minds are left intact, and they will live.
Those who enter the wide gate, have to "die the spiritual death" and they too will have life.

That is NOT correct interpretation.

I even left out the Greek and Hebrew definition of "DESTRUCTION" because my post was getting too long.

"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost[apollumi, "to destroy fully"]" Mat 18:11

The word apollumi means "to destroy fully". So we could translate Mat 18:11 as "the Son of man is come to save that which was destroy" Destruction does not mean what you or Asygo has interpretated it to mean -- as the end road -- no salvation & complete annihilation.

apoleia G684

destroying, utter destruction
perishing, ruin, destruction

Yes, it does mean utter destruction at the end of the road.

Jesus said He came to save what was lost (perishing-- heading for utter destruction).

But thanks to Jesus coming to save us, we don't have to go down that broad road that is leading to utter destruction.
If we come to Christ NOW, in this life, in repentance and trust, He will save us, -- that is the narrow road that leads to life.
It's the ONLY road to LIFE.

Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Elle] #179610
03/03/16 10:29 AM
03/03/16 10:29 AM
ProdigalOne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024
Supporting Member 2023

Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada

But you did say:

No. you are mis-representing what I said and I had clarified that to you by addressing every false assumption you had made of what I had said or implied. So here it appears that you deliberately mis-represent what I said to you after I had clarified what you did not understand beforehand. I hope it is not a deliberate mis-representation. I will repeat myself one more time, so there's no more of these assumption and mis-representation. Be careful.

In brief, my point in quoting Ezk 18:4 -- it is in the mind(=soul) that sin take place, and it is also in the mind someone repents -- which is a SPIRITUAL Death -- the death of that old person that is symbolized at baptism and we are raised to a new person that now submit our mind(soul) to the direction and leading of the Lord Jesus-Christ. This is the death -- the Spiritual death that I believe Paul dies daily. Paul does not die daily a Physical death.

That was my point, and my only point and my long post assert this. What you and Alchemy went on about the physical soul cannot live without the physical body and so on and so forth -- I never said so nor implied it or even was talking about the physical plane -- I was talking about the SPIRITUAL plane.

My association to that text and point was simply there's a SPIRITUAL Death.

ProdigalOne answer was not contrary to any Adventist teaching.
The church (and scripture) has always taught that when a person dies, he ceases to exist. The body infused with God's breath of life is a living soul. When the breath of life departs, the whole person is DEAD.

???ProdigalOne said the body goes to scheol -- scripture or our Church doesn't say that. The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches.

As far as identifying "ruwach" spirit and "neshamah" spirit and soul, these words are at times used interchangeably,

Not true. These words are very different. They are not even spelled with the same Hebrew letters. Not even related words by the Hebrew lettering definition -- as each Hebrew letter is a word that the sum of them define the whole word. The simple fact these words don't have the same letters, these words are not the same.

Nice try. I know you were trying to save ProdigalOne mistakes.

... thus not making it logical to classify them in separate boxes. (That would be for another thread)
We do know that God gives the "breath of life" that quickens the body into a living soul.

When that "breath of life" is gone, the person is dead.
What returns to God? God's life giving breath, but I also believe an exact transcript of the person's "soul" their character, thought patterns and individuality also returns to God -- sort of like a computer disk with the full digitized details what that person was. (Though God would have far superior methods than computer disks) At the resurrection all that information is restored into the resurrected new body-- we will be who we were before the first death. The soul is not an identity of it's own -- it has no life apart from the body, but God will have an exact transcript of the "soul" of every individual.

Anyone can make some speculation and define things what they think it means. But what matters and what stand is how the Lord defines things in scripture and what He teaches us these to mean via personal revelation in our life.

Your speculation above is "what dedication thinks" and dedication deduced this by saying ruach and nshamah is the same word. Your foundation is not strong if you have the attitude to not pay attention to the words the Lord's uses to expressed things.

BUT I must clarify -- what I said about the "soul" earlier is NOT exactly what you were saying at all.

You define soul as "think, reason, choose, have emotions, etc. They have character." and the "essence" of the individual. And that is exactly my definition of the soul also. And this is exactly the defintion of the mind too. The only thing I have done that you haven't is I took another step and said Soul = Mind. You didn't do that or say that, but by definition you said that.

I was saying that if this destruction at the end of the wide road means, as you wrote, that the soul is destroyed (but the body stays alive) then the ability to think, reason, choose, have emotions, etc. would be destroyed.

I have already addressed that same objection of yours in the other exchanged we had.

Let me quote what we previously exchange. We see below that you can only see the mind-Soul Death in a Physical plane, while I'm saying there's also a Spiritual mind-soul death -- the repentance and submission of the mind. This you do not want to make this association or acknowledge that there such repentance that takes place in the mind.

Probably its because you absolutely don't want to make either association of mind-soul or this spiritual death is the second death. I can understand that is the main problem for that gives an opening to take Rev 20 and the lake of fire symbolically. I will add to my reply in green to give more clarity when necessary. But I know clarification is not what you want.

Quote:
dedication : When a soul dies, the individual is no more.

Elle : I disagree. When a soul(mind) repents and submits(=spiritual death = the 2nd death) to the Spirit, the persons still is around until his body decays into the natural death(=physical death = the 1st death).

dedication : Also a soul CANNOT live with out the body.
When the body dies, the soul is dead.

Elle: I agree on the physical level --the physical brain[=body] needs to be functioning for the soul[mind] to exist. However there's two deaths like there's two births: the first being a physical death(or birth) and the second, a spiritual death(or birth). Death on the Physical level = no functionality of body or soul. Death on the Spiritual level when the mind[=soul] repents & submits, the body is still just there and the mind is still there.

dedication : Now a body or object can live without a soul -- but it can't think, reason, choose, or have emotions -- it is a mere vegetable or plant. It has no character.

Elle : I think we are saying the same thing -- the soul is the mind. We believe the same thing here, but of course you don't make the soul=mind association

dedication: What does Paul mean when he says "I die daily"?
No, it does not mean the soul dies, or that the body dies daily. (That can't happen "daily" for once the body with the soul dies, it's dead)

Elle : I never said the soul can live outside the body. Re-read my post and above.

The soul is the "essence" of the individual, thus if his soul is destroyed, his very personhood would be destroyed.
What would be left, if the soul was destroyed but the body still alive? Just some mindless, emotionless robots bowing before the throne.

I agree, as I have confirmed above also. On the physical level when the soul is destroyed, then if the body is still ticking, I agreed with you that the person is mindless. But I DID NOT SAY the soul is being destroyed on a physical level at the Great White throne -- I said very clearly and repetively that the soul dies on a SPIRITUAL LEVEL= repentance of the MIND-soul being my main POINT. Stop mis-representing what I said.

Thus that text in Matthew cannot be explained as the transformation that takes place in a repentant person's heart and mind when he/she comes to Christ. The soul is NOT destroyed by sanctification. It is transformed, not destroyed.

A humbling is a destruction of the mind in the sense that your esteem of your reasoning, of your great decisions you've made, of how great your wisdom is, and etc... all that take place in the mind and this needs to be destroyed before we come to repentance and take the road to salvation. There's lots of text in prophecies where the Lord tells us how He will destroy us by humbling us. The Lord humbling us is part of the plan of salvation and is a necessary step before He can transform us. He has to knock down all those hyped-mountains-of-trust-in-our-abilities-in-our-mind so to prepare the way for the Lord sanctification.

If my rendering of what was said in scriptures is not correct then bring that specifically and let's address that.

I even left out the Greek and Hebrew definition of "DESTRUCTION" because my post was getting too long. Good thing for I was annoying Asygo. But the word used for "destruction" has to be looked at.

Jesus said He came to save what was lost(destroyed). He cannot save those that still have faith in their superior MIND's ability to choose their own ways, to know their own truth, and etc... He has to destroy that trust of their Superior Mind[its ability to choose their own ways via knowledge] FIRST, before there's a chance for them to get into the path of life-salvation.

You bring on definition of words derived from English translation and defined by the world dictionary and phylosophy of the world. You need to go beyond the world's definition of words and its English translation of scriptures, and the Church interpretation of scriptures. You need to seek the Lord's definition, meanings, and interpretation.

Elle said:

"???ProdigalOne said the body goes to scheol -- scripture or our Church doesn't say that. The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches."

Perhaps we need to define the word "Sheol"?

Strong's #7585: "grave, hell, pit". "A noun meaning the world of the dead, Sheol, the grave, death, the depths. The word describes the underworld but usually in the sense of the grave and is most often translated grave."

"The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches."

I agree. Since the word Sheol means the grave, your euphemistic reference to it as "the body returns to the dust and to the ground" (the grave) seems to line up with my understanding.

I believe the physical body does in fact go to "Sheol" when it dies.
Do you have some alternate definition of "Sheol" that suggests that I am not in agreement with Scripture and the Church?

"...I will not forget you.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..."

Isaiah 49:15-16
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #179611
03/03/16 01:22 PM
03/03/16 01:22 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Elle,

After looking at many of your posts, it seems to me that you are doing a lot of copying and pasting from another source, which tells me that these are not your original thoughts, but that you are in agreement in those thoughts.

I am not saying that it is wrong for you to do this, but am just wondering if that is what you are doing.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Well if I'm doing some copy and paste, then my source is a poor writer smile

No this is my own writing and my own words and my own reflection on the matter. I'm well capable of studying scriptures while looking up Greek and Hebrew words and testing doctrinal theories as I have done so the past 7+ years.

At times I do refer to Myron Robertson's(an SDA on Adventist Online that is a true Bible student link of his posts on AO) or Stephen Jones studies to know their impression on a topic and how they went about to express it. If I want to present their same points; I will chew these down and put it in my own words. Like anyone who studies material will refer to many sources during their studying time.

But I do prefer to study things on my own and exercise letting the Holy Spirit guide my thoughts and impressions. I will refer to Myron or Stephen or commentaries or other sources if I'm stuck and don't know what that portion of scriptures means because of the wording, or not aware of some historical background.

If I copy and paste a study from anyone, I will quote them as I have done in the past providing a source.

Also, remember we have already done this type of study in 2011 - 2013. Does All Being Saved in the End and Nobody Being Lost Have Biblical Support? link. So I had done these studies then and also in other forums. Also it has been a long studying process that I had done myself for many years before I knew Myron or heard of Stephen. So this topic is very familiar to me and I am able to write much faster than topic that I haven't studied as much.

The problem with many SDAs brothers and sisters that exchange in the forum, they do not seriously study the matter on their own. They only look for "proof texts" to debate in a discussion and repeat like a parrot the interpretation that was being taught to them. Many have neglected their Christian Duty to test all things like Ellen and James has rebuked us to do.

My posting wouldn't be so long if most had done their own studying before hand and I wouldn't have to address so many mis-representation of scriptures that often is twisted, things added, not the context, and etc....

I wished most would do their studying prior to posting especially if I happen to be in the discussion as I will signal mis-representation. I don't always, but at time I will. And then when I do, I know it causes embarassement. I'm sorry for that.

There's no harm to check if what you are about to say is really what scripture is saying. Actually it is a good exercise that I do all the time before I present something as we don't always remember how the Bible says things, or even if it really said what we thought it said. Many times by doing this exercise I found out what I thought was in scripture was not there. There's many things we say in our church that is not found in scriptures.

Blessings
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: ProdigalOne] #179612
03/03/16 02:13 PM
03/03/16 02:13 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada

"???ProdigalOne said the body goes to scheol -- scripture or our Church doesn't say that. The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches."

Perhaps we need to define the word "Sheol"?

Strong's #7585: "grave, hell, pit". "A noun meaning the world of the dead, Sheol, the grave, death, the depths. The word describes the underworld but usually in the sense of the grave and is most often translated grave."

"The body returns back to dust and to the ground. That's what scripture teaches."

I agree. Since the word Sheol means the grave, your euphemistic reference to it as "the body returns to the dust and to the ground" (the grave) seems to line up with my understanding.

I believe the physical body does in fact go to "Sheol" when it dies.
Do you have some alternate definition of "Sheol" that suggests that I am not in agreement with Scripture and the Church?

Going to Sheol-Hades and back to the ground is not the same place or thing. The body decomposes back into dust meaning the matter does not disappear -- this is not the same thing as the unseen or underground "world" where the souls of the dead goes in sheol-hades.

I know people defines sheol or hades as our modern graves and imagine the physical dust being there. But hades(G86) or sheol(H7585) are defined as the unseen and the underworld(a subterranean place) where the soul(not the body) goes.

Sheol "from H7592; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates."

Hades "háidēs, hah'-dace; from G1 (as negative particle) and G1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls"

I do know that in our Church some members do equate the returning to the grounds and hades-sheol together as you do. I'm not sure if our Church holds that same position. I always recalled being taught that the body goes back to dust and I agree with that. But maybe they do equate hades-sheol as the going back to dust; but if they do -- well I think this is not what scriptures says and confusing the issue by bunching two different concept together.

Blessings
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #179614
03/03/16 06:42 PM
03/03/16 06:42 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I assume that you are also aware that the sea creatures are also referred to as souls.
Quote:
Rev 16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does the Bible Teach that Everybody Is Saved, or that Some Are Saved? [Re: Daryl] #179615
03/03/16 06:43 PM
03/03/16 06:43 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Indeed -- the church has always taught that the human being is a whole unit.

Death is NOT a dividing in which one part goes to dust and the other part to some subterranean retreat. That's where the whole concept of a burning hell was manufactured. Since most Christians believe in a burning hell, and the continuation of life in some subterranean retreat, you will find that definition in many concordances and word study books.

At death the soul is dead, the body is dead. Just because some verses render different words for where the dead person now is -- "back to dust" "underground" "no longer seen" "the grave" "a sepulcher" etc. etc. "sleeping with the fathers" has nothing to do with this discussion
IF WE ALL AGREE that the whole person is DEAD, when they die, and nothing of that person is living in some other sphere.

God does have an accurate record of the "soul" or the complete character (thoughts, character, personhood) of the deceased, (how or where He has that record is not the issue) the important part is that the resurrected new body will be the SAME person that died.

IF WE ALL AGREE that the whole person, at death, is DEAD, and nothing of that person is living in some other sphere, let's get back on topic --

Since the topic is will everyone eventually be saved? So, that person who goes into the grave, returns to dust, or however he is disposed of at death, what happens when they are resurrected?

If they rejected God in this life and failed to "die to sin" and be "born again in Christ" IN THIS LIFE, will they all be brought to repentance, be re-educated by a human priesthood, in a second life, and given eternal life?

7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.

The text clearly says
the narrow road leads to life
the broad way leads to destruction

Life and destruction are the two destinations open to mankind.
Which will we choose.

To spiritualize away the obvious meaning would be to say
Those who enter the narrow gate don't have to die "the spiritual death" their minds are left intact, and they will live.
Those who enter the wide gate, have to "die the spiritual death" and they too will have life.

That is NOT correct interpretation.

Without Christ the world was doomed for utter and complete destruction.

The word apollumi means "to destroy fully". So we could translate Mat 18:11 as "the Son of man is come to save that which was destroy" Destruction does not mean what you or Asygo has interpretated it to mean -- as the end road -- no salvation & complete annihilation

apoleia G684

destroying, utter destruction
perishing, ruin, destruction

Yes, it does mean utter destruction at the end of the road.

Jesus said He came to save what was lost (perishing-- heading for utter destruction).

But thanks to Jesus coming to save us, we don't have to go down that broad road that is leading to utter destruction.
If we come to Christ NOW, in this life, in repentance and trust, He will save us, -- that is the narrow road that leads to life.
It's the ONLY road to LIFE.

Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!