HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184348
07/03/17 07:38 PM
07/03/17 07:38 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The consequences of violation of God's law is intrinsic. God does not kill, sin kills, and this is all over EGW writings. Perhaps you should read DA chapter 79 again sometime.

So long!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: ] #184352
07/04/17 03:32 PM
07/04/17 03:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Gary K
I just realized part of what I said above isn't entirely accurate. I once stated here that I would not discuss the God doesn't kill theology and apl and kland got pretty upset with me for saying I had rejected it after a studying it. So I can't say that I have never seen apl talk about it here. I had just forgotten about it until a few seconds ago.
You're going to have to refresh my memory.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184353
07/04/17 04:26 PM
07/04/17 04:26 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Sin is a legal process - Can someone please explain how sin causes the cancer?

If sin is a legal problem, then for us sinners, just keeping the law would set us right. Funny thing is that the law can't set us right. Is that because it can't change the paper work? Of is the sin problem much deeper than a legal problem?

The atonement of Christ is not a mere skilful way to have our sins pardoned [legal solution]; it is a divine remedy for the cure [healing] of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health [healing]. It is the heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us, but in our hearts and characters. {Lt406-1906}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: APL] #184356
07/05/17 01:39 AM
07/05/17 01:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Sin is a legal process - Can someone please explain how sin causes the cancer?

How does sin cause the cancer of sin? The question delves into mysteries beyond finite comprehension, perhaps, because, in fact, we are clearly told that there is no excuse for sin. No good reason can be given for it. How is sin transmitted, as a contagion, from one person to the next? How does the cancer spread? I think ignorance plays a big part, which is why Jesus, on the cross, asked the Father to forgive us, saying "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." If we knew the truth of how damaging sin would be, we would not choose to break God's law by sinning. As Jesus said, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." This is how the law saves us--knowing it lifts us out of the ignorance into the glorious saving light of Christ.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184357
07/05/17 03:23 AM
07/05/17 03:23 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
How does sin cause the cancer of sin? The question delves into mysteries beyond finite comprehension, perhaps, because, in fact, we are clearly told that there is no excuse for sin. No good reason can be given for it.

Having no reason for the existence of sin does not mean we do not know what sin is. Those are two very different things.

EGW: To many minds the origin of sin and the reason for its existence are a source of great perplexity. ... It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence. yet enough may be understood concerning both the origin and the final disposition of sin to make fully manifest the justice and benevolence of God in all His dealings with evil. ... But there was one that chose to pervert this freedom. Sin originated with him who, next to Christ, had been most honored of God and who stood highest in power and glory among the inhabitants of heaven. ... Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee." Ezekiel 28:12-15.

Sin is disguised, and many are deceived in regard to its nature.

What she is saying is that we cannot explain why Satan needed to author sin, but that he did. This is not saying we cannot know what sin is and how it affects us, in many ways.

EGW: It is the nature of sin to spread and increase. Since the first sin of Adam, from generation to generation it has spread like a contagious disease.

Originally Posted By: green
If we knew the truth of how damaging sin would be, we would not choose to break God's law by sinning. As Jesus said, "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." This is how the law saves us--knowing it lifts us out of the ignorance into the glorious saving light of Christ.
OK - you know how bad sin is, not stop. But you can't, not of yourself. No "legal" solution will work because sin is not a "legal" problem. Sin is bad, why? Because it destroys God's creation. How does it destroy God's creation and how does it affect all living things! Legal problem? I don't think so.

EGW Our Lord Jesus Christ came to this world as the unwearied servant of man's necessity. He "took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses," that He might minister to every need of humanity. Matthew 8:17. The burden of disease and wretchedness and sin He came to remove. It was His mission to bring to men complete restoration; He came to give them health and peace and perfection of character. {MH 17.1}

NOTE - He bore ouf SICKNESS. It does not say our legal status. He ministered to remove the burden of disease, wretchedness and sin, to REMOVE it, not legally dismiss it. He came to bring complete restoration, of health, peace and perfection of character.

EGW: The Scriptures teach us to seek for the sanctification to God of body, soul, and spirit. In this work we are to be laborers together with God. Much may be done to restore the moral image of God in man, to improve the physical, mental, and moral capabilities. Great changes can be made in the physical system by obeying the laws of God and bringing into the body nothing that defiles. And while we cannot claim perfection of the flesh, we may have Christian perfection of the soul. {2SM 32.3}

When human beings receive holy flesh, they will not remain on the earth, but will be taken to heaven. While sin is forgiven [caused to go into remission] in this life, its results [our deformed sinful flesh] are not now wholly removed. It is at His coming that Christ is to "change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body" (Philippians 3:21). . . . {2SM 33.3}

Jesus tells us what we need: John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:7 Marvel not that I said to you, You must be born again.

Salvation required power, or as EJ Waggoner says, CREATIVE POWER, not legistative legal power. Ephesians 1:19-20 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, (20) Which he worked in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Ephesians 3:20 Now to him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.

The power comes to us by FAITH: 1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith to salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effectual working of his power.

Redemption, re-creation, salvation is CREATIVE POWER and works on our inward parts, New Covenant, Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, said the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
It is in the "seed" the DNA, God rewrites our code. 1 John 3:9 Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 1 John 5:18 We know that whoever is born of God sins not; but he that is begotten of God keeps himself, and that wicked one touches him not. 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and stays for ever. 1 Peter 1:22-23 Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit to unfeigned love of the brothers, see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently: (23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and stays for ever.

FAITH is the receiver. Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Ephesians 3:17-19 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, (18) May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.

FAITH works on our brain circuitry, for there is where God communicates with us. God has given us faith which we exercise by the use of the WILL. Everything depends on the right exercise of the WILL. God gives us faith and will give us more if we ask. Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God has dealt to every man the measure of faith. Hebrews 12:2 Looking to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Luke 17:5 And the apostles said to the Lord, Increase our faith.

No faith…..no salvation! It is not legal, but real.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: kland] #184365
07/05/17 07:10 PM
07/05/17 07:10 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Gary K
I just realized part of what I said above isn't entirely accurate. I once stated here that I would not discuss the God doesn't kill theology and apl and kland got pretty upset with me for saying I had rejected it after a studying it. So I can't say that I have never seen apl talk about it here. I had just forgotten about it until a few seconds ago.
You're going to have to refresh my memory.

The post number of yours is #182862. It is in the rejection of the testimonies thread and it is dated 3/21/2017.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184366
07/05/17 07:42 PM
07/05/17 07:42 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I wonder if apl even understands his own quote?

Quote:
The atonement of Christ is not a mere skilful way to have our sins pardoned [legal solution]; it is a divine remedy for the cure [healing] of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health [healing]. It is the heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us, but in our hearts and characters. {Lt406-1906}

This quote points out the fact that, as the rest of us have said all along, that there is a legal part to sin. The atonement is not merely legal, but also healing in nature. The quote does not deny the legal aspect of sin.

What follows is interesting. It points out how the devil has attempted to make sin appear legal.

Quote:
Satan deceives and corrupts the world and makes men believe that they are sinless and holy while sinning against God, but in so doing he is only carrying on his original work. He has introduced no new arguments, he has created no new empire of darkness from which to draw supplies for the furtherance of his deceptions. And sin that was sin in the beginning is sin today; and sin, the apostle declares, is the transgression of God’s law. In these days it is Satan’s determined purpose to intensify sin by making it legal in the children of disobedience. He is to reveal to the world and to heaven what is the order and result of a government carried on according to his ideas of administration and law. He is working with secret yet with intense zeal in both Church and State, to cause men to throw off all the restraints of God’s law, and take a decided stand with him in the ranks of rebellion; [quote]ut when his work is accomplished, the Lord will interpose, and vindicate his honor as the supreme Ruler of the universe. {ST April 28, 1890,

Quote:
Jesus continued: “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.” By nature the heart is evil, and “who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.” Job 14:4. No human invention can find a remedy for the sinning soul. “The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” “Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” Romans 8:7; Matthew 15:19. The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. He who is trying to reach heaven by his own works in keeping the law is attempting an impossibility. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian’s life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit. {DA 172.1}

Note again the use of the word merely. What does merely mean?

Quote:

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide)
Merely Mere"ly, adv.
1. Purely; unmixedly; absolutely.
[1913 Webster]

Ulysses was to force forth his access,
Though merely naked. --Chapman.
[1913 Webster]

2. Not otherwise than; simply; barely; only.
[1913 Webster]

Prize not your life for other ends
Than merely to oblige your friends. --Swift.
[1913 Webster]

Syn: Solely; simply; purely; barely; scarcely.
[1913 Webster]

WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) (wn)
merely
adv 1: and nothing more; "I was merely asking"; "it is simply a
matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child";
"hopes that last but a moment" [syn: merely, simply,
just, only, but]

There is not a person here who has said sin is "merely" legal. In other words, nothing more than a legal problem. To say that is all anyone here has said is that sin is only a legal issue is nothing more than a complete fabrication. It is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184368
07/05/17 08:03 PM
07/05/17 08:03 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is more from Ellen White showing that obedience to God is both legal and relational.

Quote:
Christ’s dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say “No” to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us. {DA 523.1}

What was that? Obedience must not be merely/only legal. It must be accompanied by a change of heart and character. Once again, the legal aspect of sin and obedience is highlighted by Ellen White by saying obedience cannot be only legal.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184369
07/05/17 08:12 PM
07/05/17 08:12 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is more from Ellen White on the legal aspect of salvation.

Quote:
There is a day just about to burst upon us when God’s mysteries will be seen, and all His ways vindicated; when justice, mercy, and love will be the attributes of His throne. When the earthly warfare is accomplished, and the saints are all gathered home, our first theme will be the song of Moses, the servant of God. The second theme will be the song of the Lamb, the song of grace and redemption. This song will be louder, loftier, and in sublimer strains, echoing and re-echoing through the heavenly courts. Thus the song of God’s providence is sung, connecting the varying dispensations; for all is now seen without a veil between the legal, the prophetical, and the gospel. {Hvn 177.1}

Notice there will come a time where there will be no veil between the legal, prophetic, and gospel aspects of salvation for all will be seen as a complete whole.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184370
07/05/17 09:44 PM
07/05/17 09:44 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

What she is saying here is that the atonement of Christ is NOT a skilful way to pardon sin, it is not a legal solution, but a divine REMEDY for the CURE of transgression.

A legal religion has been thought quite the correct religion for this time. But it is a mistake. The rebuke of Christ to the Pharisees is applicable to those who have lost from the heart their first love. A cold, legal religion can never lead souls to Christ; for it is a loveless, Christless religion. {1SM 388.1}

Though some want a cold legal religion. Why?

The man who attempts to keep the commandments of God from a sense of obligation merely--because he is required to do so [legally required to do so]--will NEVER enter into the joy of obedience. HE DOES NOT OBEY. When the requirements of God are accounted a burden because they cut across human inclination, we may know that the life is not a Christian life. True obedience is the outworking of a principle within. It springs from the love of righteousness, the love of the law of God. The essence of all righteousness is loyalty to our Redeemer. This will lead us to do right because it is right--because right doing is pleasing to God. {COL 97.3}

Keeping the commandment of God because you are legally required to do so produces a rebel. Love is not legal and Love cannot be commanded, it can never be forced.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!