HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184371
07/05/17 11:11 PM
07/05/17 11:11 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Perhaps one day you will learn to listen instead of argue. Perhaps one day you will open your mind to the concept that others may have insights you could learn and benefit from, and it is worth hearing what they have to say before opposing it.

In your post above, you again oppose something that was never stated. That is, as I understand, the epitome of a "straw man" argument, and parallels your opposition to my earlier post in which you said "Having no reason for the existence of sin does not mean we do not know what sin is. Those are two very different things." Of course, you imply that your response has something to do with what I said, but I said nothing at all about sin's definition in that post, nor that we cannot know what it is. The opposite is true--I posted earlier in this thread, as did others, that "sin is the transgression of the law" and that this was the Biblical definition. Again, in your post above, you have made a statement that perhaps no one here would oppose, but you state it as though it does in fact disagree with what others have posted. It does not.

Please be informed: A "legal religion" is not the same as a "legal salvation." Period.

"Pure religion, and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world" (see James chapter 1). This may be the only verse in the Bible directly mentioning religion--and it ties it with an attitude of selfless service to others. Nothing in that verse mentions the law, although in doing those kind acts of service, would a person not be keeping the law? Is not the law a law of love?

All sin transgresses the law. If the law is love, any form of selfishness, which is love's opposite, is sin. Love IS legal, because, simply put, "legal" means "according to the law," and the highest law in the universe is love.

Keeping God's commandments for any reason does not produce a rebel. Rebels are those who do NOT keep the commandments, (either in the letter or the spirit)!

But let's look at something precious...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The gift of God in his beloved Son was the expression of an incomprehensible love. It was the utmost that God could do to preserve the honor of his law, and still save the transgressor. Why should man not study the theme of redemption? It is the greatest subject that can engage the human mind. If men would contemplate the love of Christ, displayed in the cross, their faith would be strengthened to appropriate the merits of his shed blood, and they would be cleansed and saved from sin. There are many who will be lost, because they depend on legal religion, or mere repentance for sin. But repentance for sin alone cannot work the salvation of any soul. Man cannot be saved by his own works. Without Christ it is impossible for him to render perfect obedience to the law of God; and heaven can never be gained by an imperfect obedience; for this would place all heaven in jeopardy, and make possible a second rebellion. {ST, December 30, 1889 par. 4}

According to the above, "legal religion" means "repentance from sin." Again, Mrs. White uses the term "mere" to refer to this repentance. Just as Gary pointed out, it means "only." If you, by this statement, reject the need of repentance as necessary for your salvation, you will with it reject part of the Bible which tells you to repent. And repentance is the legal religion that we need to have. Mrs. White is pointing out that merely repenting according to the law is not enough--we need Christ's help, and cannot do it alone.

". . . and heaven can never be gained by an imperfect obedience . . ." --Ellen White.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184372
07/06/17 02:41 AM
07/06/17 02:41 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
green - you teach English, you should then understand the idiom "mere" can mean more than only. And taken in context, a "mere skillful way" is not speaking positively about the "skillful way" but actually denying it. Reading the rest of the quote gives you the truth, which you only consider a fraction, and that is salvation is a DIVINE REMEDY for the CURE of transgression. And yes, I think I read you correctly, for you treat "transgression of the law" as a LEGAL event, and can't conceive that is may be something actually real, and thus you discredit what I have written as ignorant, not listening, etc. Are you and Gary cut from the same cloth?

Sin causes death. Sin causes cancer and disease of all kinds. This is all caused by transgression of the law. Not transgression in a legal sense, but in a physical sense that causes all the degradation and death. And a death which is not an execution by God, but by sin.

God's law is written on every nerve, muscle and fiber of our being. It is written, and there is a writing media which contains the law, which can't be broken or else the system dies. Jesus shared our heredity to take on our sorrows and temptations, and solve the problem, providing a divine remedy. And it is Satan constant effort to misrepresent the nature of sin. Are you sure you have not fallen into the trap?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: APL] #184374
07/06/17 03:26 AM
07/06/17 03:26 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
green - you teach English, you should then understand the idiom "mere" can mean more than only. And taken in context, a "mere skillful way" is not speaking positively about the "skillful way" but actually denying it. Reading the rest of the quote gives you the truth, which you only consider a fraction, and that is salvation is a DIVINE REMEDY for the CURE of transgression. And yes, I think I read you correctly, for you treat "transgression of the law" as a LEGAL event, and can't conceive that is may be something actually real, and thus you discredit what I have written as ignorant, not listening, etc. Are you and Gary cut from the same cloth?

Sin causes death. Sin causes cancer and disease of all kinds. This is all caused by transgression of the law. Not transgression in a legal sense, but in a physical sense that causes all the degradation and death. And a death which is not an execution by God, but by sin.

God's law is written on every nerve, muscle and fiber of our being. It is written, and there is a writing media which contains the law, which can't be broken or else the system dies. Jesus shared our heredity to take on our sorrows and temptations, and solve the problem, providing a divine remedy. And it is Satan constant effort to misrepresent the nature of sin. Are you sure you have not fallen into the trap?

With you, APL, everything revolves around word definitions. You misunderstand the word usage and meaning, and consequently jump to unwarranted conclusions. Yes, I teach English. Perhaps I can do so here as well.

Let's take a look at the definition for "mere" that Ellen White would have in mind.

Originally Posted By: Webster's 1828 Dictionary
MERE, a. [L. merus.] This or that only; distinct from any thing else.
From mere success nothing can be concluded in favor of a nation.
What if the head, the eye or ear repin'd
To serve mere engines to the ruling mind?
1. Absolute; entire.

MERE, n. [L. mare. See Moor.] A pool or lake.

MERE, n. [Gr. to divide.] A boundary; used chiefly in the compound, mere-stone.

MERE, v.t. To divide, limit or bound.

Which of the above do you believe Ellen White meant? To help make it more clear, perhaps seeing some excerpts from her own pen using the word might help.

What right have these teachers, they said, some of them mere fishermen, to present ideas contrary to the doctrines that we have taught the people? . . . {AA 78.3}

Their eyes could not discern, under the humble exterior, the Lord of life and glory, even though Christ's power was revealed before them in works that no mere man could do. . . . {AA 150.1}

But in the setting apart of these two apostles, there is no record indicating that any virtue was imparted by the mere act of laying on of hands. . . . {AA 162.2}

Timothy was a mere youth when he was chosen by God to be a teacher, but his principles had been so established by his early education that he was fitted to take his place as Paul's helper. . . . {AA 203.3}

A mere profession of faith in Christ, a boastful knowledge of the truth, does not make a man a Christian. A religion that seeks only to gratify the eye, the ear, and the taste, or that sanctions self-indulgence, is not the religion of Christ. {AA 317.1}

That's the first five off the CD (sorry, I'm not interested in trying to randomly sample all 1,165 hits for the word "mere").

I have yet to see Mrs. White use the term as you have interpreted it to mean. If you want to be honest with yourself and others, it is important to start at the definitions level. If we are honest with ourselves, we realize that the devil has done much to change the very definitions of words over time to confuse and obscure longstanding truths. The sense of "mere" which you use seems not to have existed in Mrs. White's day, and we should consider her words to have a clear meaning, supported by the dictionary of her day, as borne out in a study of her own usage of the term.

It is true that "sin causes death." The difficulty with you is your definition of "cause." We are right back to square one with definitions, word usages, expressions, and senses. For example, one might truly say something like "The loud noise caused the driver to jerk the wheel, thus causing the accident." But did the noise push the driver's hands? Or did the noise "persuade" the driver to make a decision to move those hands?

Again, we could look at Mrs. White's usage of the word "cause." But it would appear it is a "lost cause," so I will not take more valuable time or space here for it.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184375
07/06/17 03:48 AM
07/06/17 03:48 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Actually green, we have been around this before. Taking the statement as a whole, her use of the term "mere skillful way" not holding in the though in high esteem, and the second half of the statement tells us the truth.

I can see your "cause" again points to God as the "cause". Would you say, "sin caused God to kill the sinner?" SMH.

Consider the following very carefully:

The whole spiritual life is molded by our conceptions of God; and if we cherish erroneous views of His character, our souls will sustain injury. {RH Jan 14, 1890}

Multitudes have a wrong conception of God and His attributes, and are as truly serving a false god as were the worshipers of Baal. {PK 177}

The truth that we are to proclaim is that„ God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. This truth is to be developed in the closing scenes of this earth's history. {Ms53-1905}

Perish does not imply execution. Sin causes death because it literally destroys the sinner. Don't be lost by a wrong perception of our LOVING Heavenly Father.

Let ministers and people remember that gospel truth ruins if it does not save. The soul that refuses to listen to the invitations of mercy from day to day can soon listen to the most urgent appeals without an emotion stirring his soul. {5T 134.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184376
07/06/17 04:41 AM
07/06/17 04:41 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Perhaps there is a confusion between the understanding of two sides? --

Why is it that when a person presents the "legal side" in conjunction with the very real aspects of sin, the response will often come rather forcibly to imply that anyone who sees the legal side must therefore have reject the very real conditions that result when one transgresses God's law.

And yes, I think I read you correctly, for you treat "transgression of the law" as a LEGAL event, and can't conceive that is may be something actually real, and thus you discredit what I have written

Of course transgressing God's law brings very real results. Sin has very serious negative effects on our physical as well as spiritual health. It can ruin our emotional health, it makes our society often an unsafe place to live, it results in strife, wars, sickness, and death, etc. etc.

But this understanding is different from your premise which seems to say that the very real "results" of sin, are what constitutes the sin.
Thus if we, through Christ, can just fix the results of sin, obtain physical (DNA) healing and get rid of the negative effects, have the damaged DNA or whatever within our cell structures repaired or healed; we have gained salvation.

But scripture presents a different view.

God did not simply set aside his law and forgive the human race at creation.

Christ became SURETY for the human race at Creation.

What does that mean?
The Bible gives an example in Genesis 43:9 when Joseph demanded his brothers bring Benjamin to Egypt. Father Jacob was fearful. Judah told his father that he would be "surety" for Benjamin.

Gen 43:9 I will be surety for him; of my hand shalt thou require him: if I bring him not unto thee, and set him before thee, then let me bear the blame for ever:

In the same manner, Christ became "surety" for the human race at creation. If humans would sin, Jesus would bear the blame.
(See Heb. 7:22)
The immutability of the law is upheld..

"Ye are not your own, for ye are bought with a price." [1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.] And what a price! Not "with corruptible things, as silver and gold, . . . but with the precious blood of Christ." [1 Peter 1:18, 19.] When man was lost, the Son of God said, I will redeem him, I will become his surety and substitute." CE 119

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184377
07/06/17 05:22 AM
07/06/17 05:22 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I can see your "cause" again points to God as the "cause". Would you say, "sin caused God to kill the sinner?" SMH.

APL, you are the one who acknowledges a law that is not of God in this universe. Of whom you think it is, I know not. In my understanding, God is the Author of the Law, the only law of the universe, and it is His law that requires the death of every sinner. As King of the universe, He it is who sees to it that His law is enforced--the devil is not an enforcer of God's law, nor is any "transgression of the law" able to enforce the law (sin = transgression of the law).

The Sabbath was made for the benefit of man; and to knowingly transgress the holy commandment forbidding labor upon the seventh day is a crime in the sight of heaven which was of such magnitude under the Mosaic law as to require the death of the offender. But this was not all that the offender was to suffer, for God would not take a transgressor of His law to heaven. He must suffer the second death, which is the full and final penalty for the transgressor of the law of God. {1T 533.1}

Christ saw the helpless condition of the race, and he came to redeem them by living the life of obedience the law requires, and by paying in his death the penalty of disobedience. He came to bring us the message and means of deliverance, an assurance of salvation, not through the abrogation of the law, but through obedience made possible by his merits. {RH, April 29, 1902 par. 10}

Did "sin" require the death of the offender? Or was it the "law"? Is the law equal to sin? Is it sinful? No, no! Anyone who seeks to lessen the claims of God's law is in error and in sin, deceived and a deceiver.

Salvation through Christ depends on His having fulfilled God's Holy Law, in love, by yielding His own life, undeservedly dying the death required by sin so that He could equally undeservedly offer life in place of death to sinners. Salvation cannot take place apart from this law--which, significantly, means no person can save himself or herself apart from Christ. This is a legal requirement as well as a healing process.

Remember the children of Israel being told to look at the bronze serpent to be saved of their deadly snake bites? They had to LOOK to be saved. Looking was the legal part. It fulfilled the command they had been given, demonstrating their faith. Healing came secondary to the look. Salvation involves faith and action, law and healing.

And by the way, what makes you think that legal things aren't real?

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: APL] #184378
07/06/17 03:03 PM
07/06/17 03:03 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The truth that we are to proclaim is that... God so loved .... Don't be lost by a wrong perception of our LOVING Heavenly Father.....

True -- God is love!

But how is love defined?
Do we define God by our earthly definition of love?
Or is the magnitude of God's love understood only if we also understand his awesome, glorious holiness?

The word "love" is a very subjective word.
How is it that the Christianized New Age movement declares that "the work of pouring out the principle of love and of lifting the consciousness of the masses to the point where they can understand and welcome that love principle is the main work of the new age" according to Alice Bailey who received her message from demonic "masters"? The new age movement is also deep into "healing" aspects.

So we have to be very careful that we actually understand what we are talking about when we speak of God's love, for the world is being programed in a wrong concept of "love".

God's love is combined with His absolute holiness. Unless we grasp God’s holiness, we will no longer be “amazed” at his amazing grace. Do we take God’s grace for granted? It is by reflecting on God’s holiness that we are amazed and overwhelmed in gratitude by His love and grace. But the trend now is to lower his love and grace to our sentimental subjective level, and not link it to His absolute holiness which absolutely abhors sin.

It forgets that God could easily reverse any "health" problems that sin causes, and enable sinners to live forever in good health, if it was only earthly defined "love" that was at issue. But God's holiness totally abhors sin. Yet, in tender, longing love, He seeks to lift us out of sin before erasing it from His universe.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184379
07/06/17 09:53 PM
07/06/17 09:53 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
APL, you are the one who acknowledges a law that is not of God in this universe. Of whom you think it is, I know not. In my understanding, God is the Author of the Law, the only law of the universe, and it is His law that requires the death of every sinner. As King of the universe, He it is who sees to it that His law is enforced--the devil is not an enforcer of God's law, nor is any "transgression of the law" able to enforce the law (sin = transgression of the law).
Hm - as an Adventist, you should understand the Great Controversy. Satan sought to change the law of God, to amend the law. And the universe is witnessing the effects of that change. Paul can write that he delights in the law of God, but sees ANOTHER law in him members working against the law of God, the law of sin and death, Romans 7:22-23. Paul recognizes that this law of sin brings death, Romans 7:5. Satan's rebellion is a lesson book to ALL a testimony to the nature and results of sin. Sin brings death, not God. Satan is the author of sin and all its results. The inevitable results of sin is death. Part of the Controversy is how God is involved in that death.

Did "sin" require the death of the offender? Or was it the "law"? Is the law equal to sin? Is it sinful? No, no! Anyone who seeks to lessen the claims of God's law is in error and in sin, deceived and a deceiver.
Transgression of the law causes death, sin pays is wage, sin when it is finishes brings death, Romans 6:23, James 1:15, Romans 7:5. Satan is not an enforcer, nor is God an enforcer. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government. Transgression of the law inherently has its consequences, death. God hates sin because it destroys. As EGW says in DA Chapter 79, if Satan had been left to reap the consequences of his sin, he would have perished, but the on looking universe would not have understood that this was the inevitable consequences of sin. No so at the end. When God lets people go, they will die, and ALL will understand why and how they died.
Salvation through Christ depends on His having fulfilled God's Holy Law, in love, by yielding His own life, undeservedly dying the death required by sin so that He could equally undeservedly offer life in place of death to sinners. Salvation cannot take place apart from this law--which, significantly, means no person can save himself or herself apart from Christ. This is a legal requirement as well as a healing process.
Did Christ die to pay the penalty of sin? For sure, Christ paid an infinite price for our salvation, but not to appease an angry God, not as a penal substitution, which is against all logic.

Remember the children of Israel being told to look at the bronze serpent to be saved of their deadly snake bites? They had to LOOK to be saved. Looking was the legal part. It fulfilled the command they had been given, demonstrating their faith. Healing came secondary to the look. Salvation involves faith and action, law and healing.
Looking at Nehustan was a "legal" requirement? That like saying it is a legal requirement to have faith? But without Christ, we would not any faith. It was WHO the brazen serpent represented that was of value. But thanks for bring up the brazen serpent because that shows again that salvation is healing, not legal finagaling. The people knew there was no virtual in the brazen serpent itself.

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was "the Son of man lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life" John 3:14, 15. If you are conscious of your sins, do not devote all your powers to mourning over them, but look and live. Jesus is our only Saviour; and although millions who need to be healed will reject His offered mercy, not one who trusts in His merits will be left to perish. [huh - it is not legal, it is healing, and it is not execution, but being left to the consequences] While we realize our helpless condition without Christ, we must not be discouraged; we must rely upon a crucified and risen Saviour. Poor, sin-sick, discouraged soul, look and live. Jesus has pledged His word; He will save all who come unto Him. {CCh 48.3}

The lifting up of the brazen serpent was to teach Israel an important lesson. [so it was a teaching lesson, a lesson in legality? no.] They could not save themselves from the fatal effect of the poison in their wounds. God alone was able to heal them. [oh, there it is again - healing. should it not say legally get them off the hook? No] Yet they were required [legal requirement? no, trust is what is required] to show their faith in the provision which He had made. They must look in order to live. It was their faith that was acceptable with God, and by looking upon the serpent their faith was shown. They knew that there was no virtue in the serpent itself, but it was a symbol of Christ; and the necessity of faith in His merits was thus presented to their minds. Heretofore many had brought their offerings to God, and had felt that in so doing they made ample atonement for their sins. They did not rely upon the Redeemer to come, of whom these offerings were only a type. The Lord would now teach them that their sacrifices, in themselves, had no more power or virtue than the serpent of brass, but were, like that, to lead their minds to Christ, the great sin offering. {PP 430.3}

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," e
ven so was the Son of man "lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. [sin will cause you to perish - not to cause God to enforce upon you execution] All who have ever lived upon the earth have felt the deadly sting of "that old serpent, called the devil, and Satan." Revelation 12:9. The fatal effects of sin can be removed only by the provision that God has made. [sin is fatal. the consequences of sin is not execution] The Israelites saved their lives by looking upon the uplifted serpent. That look implied faith. They lived because they believed God's word, and trusted in the means provided for their recovery. So the sinner may look to Christ, and live. He receives pardon through faith in the atoning sacrifice. Unlike the inert and lifeless symbol, Christ has power and virtue in Himself to heal the repenting sinner. {PP 431.1}

Originally Posted By: dedication
... love ...
God's love is totally others center, self-sacrificial love. Yet He will not force you to love Him in return, and He will not kill you if you don't love Him. Transgression of the law, the design template brings all sickness, disease, aging and death. THAT is why sin is so offensive to our LOVING Heavenly FATHER. No, God can't cure "health effect" as you say and yet let the sinner because that would come right back on the sinner. Sin, when it is full brings death. The law requires righteousness, and perfect character. This man has not to give, but comes to us as a gift should we accept it. Christ can save us from our sin, not in our sin, and can restore, heal us, in to perfect harmony of the law, the design template of all life.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184380
07/06/17 11:01 PM
07/06/17 11:01 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I have been doing word studies on the word intrinsic and its synonyms by searching the EGW Estate database.

I have not yet found an instance where Ellen White refers to God's moral law by any of these terms. She does use the synonym "natural" in describing the laws of the natural world, but she always disassociates that from God's moral law. She makes it clear that natural laws created by God that govern physical life and God's moral law that governs spiritual life are distinct entities.

Quote:
Through disobedience to God, Adam and Eve had lost Eden, and because of sin the whole earth was cursed. But if God’s people followed His instruction, their land would be restored to fertility and beauty. God Himself gave them directions in regard to the culture of the soil, and they were to co-operate with Him in its restoration. Thus the whole land, under God’s control, would become an object lesson of spiritual truth. As in obedience to His natural laws the earth should produce its treasures, so in obedience to His moral law the hearts of the people were to reflect the attributes of His character. Even the heathen would recognize the superiority of those who served and worshiped the living God. {COL 289.2}

Quote:
Through disobedience to God Adam and Eve had lost Eden, and because of sin the whole earth was cursed. But if God’s people followed His instruction, their land would be restored to fertility and beauty. God Himself gave them directions in regard to the culture of the soil, and they were to co-operate with Him in its restoration. Thus the whole land, under God’s control, would become an object lesson of spiritual truth. As in obedience to His natural laws the earth should produce its treasures, so in obedience to His moral law the hearts of the people were to reflect the attributes of His character.9 {AH 143.2}

Quote:
Thus we often find it, even in the religious world. God’s express commands are transgressed; and “because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do the evil.” [Ecclesiastes 8:11.] In the face of the most positive commands of God, men and women will follow their own inclinations, and then dare to pray over the matter, to prevail upon God to allow them to go contrary to his expressed will. Satan comes to the side of such persons, as he did to Eve in Eden, and impresses them. They have an exercise of mind, and this they relate as a most wonderful experience which the Lord has given them. But true experience will be in harmony with natural and divine law; false experience arrays itself against the laws of life and the precepts of Jehovah. {CTBH 42.3}

Quote:
It is labor lost to teach people to look to God as a healer of their infirmities, unless they are taught also to lay aside unhealthful practices. In order to receive His blessing in answer to prayer, they must cease to do evil and learn to do well. Their surroundings must be sanitary, their habits of life correct. They must live in harmony with the law of God, both natural and spiritual. {CCh 304.2}
To those who desire prayer for their restoration to health, it should be made plain that the violation of God’s law, either natural or spiritual, is sin, and that in order for them to receive His blessing, sin must be confessed and forsaken. {CCh 304.3}

Notice that in every instance Ellen White distinguishes, natural, or in other words, intrinsic, law from spiritual law. Violation of natural law affects our ability to keep God's spiritual law, but they are not the same thing. Ellen White keeps them distinctly separate.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184382
07/07/17 02:36 AM
07/07/17 02:36 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: gk
Notice that in every instance Ellen White distinguishes, natural, or in other words, intrinsic, law from spiritual law. Violation of natural law affects our ability to keep God's spiritual law, but they are not the same thing. Ellen White keeps them distinctly separate.
A continual transgression of nature’s laws is a continual transgression of the law of God.

...every transgression of the laws of physical life is a transgression of the laws of God. {SpM 40.2}

But you misunderstand the application of intrinsic. The punishment that comes from transgression of God's laws is intrinsic. That is the very essence of transgression brings pain, suffering, disease, and death. The consequences are intrinsic verses imposed.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!