HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: kland] #184453
07/10/17 05:30 PM
07/10/17 05:30 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Gary K
I just realized part of what I said above isn't entirely accurate. I once stated here that I would not discuss the God doesn't kill theology and apl and kland got pretty upset with me for saying I had rejected it after a studying it. So I can't say that I have never seen apl talk about it here. I had just forgotten about it until a few seconds ago.
You're going to have to refresh my memory.

The post number of yours is #182862. It is in the rejection of the testimonies thread and it is dated 3/21/2017.

Here it is:
APL,

I have studied the "God doesn't kill" theology and soundly rejected it. I refuse to even discuss it.
Do you accept, "Be good or God will kill you", if not torturing you first?

So by asking, "Do you accept", in response to you rejecting that "God doesn't kill", mean I'm "pretty upset" with you?

Really?

That was how it came across to me. Maybe it's just my experience with those pushing that theology that causes me to see it that way, but that was my impression.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184455
07/10/17 05:42 PM
07/10/17 05:42 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication

Then APL brought up Korah and his companions, who were swallowed up by the earth. Implying this was "simply God removing His protection" not actively destroying these men.

Actually years ago when some other people first tried to tell us much the same theories APL presents, it was this Bible story that convinced me of their error.

Read the story carefully as described in PP.

Originally Posted By: PP
In the name of the God of Israel, Moses now declared, in the hearing of the congregation: "Hereby ye shall know that the Lord hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind. If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men, then the Lord hath not sent me. But if the Lord make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit, then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the Lord." {PP 400.4}

So Moses puts forth a challenge --
Much like Elijah put forth a challenge on Mount Carmel.

We know what happened in both those challenges.
Most will readily acknowledge that God sent down the fire on the altar in answer to Elijah's challenge on Mount Carmel.

But -- the advocates of the same theory that APL promotes told me that it was satan that opened the earth to swallow Nathan, Korah and Abiram.

I was astonished! How could that be?
Oh, they said, Satan inspired the jealousy and ambition of these men and was planning the whole thing in order to destroy Israel.

I don't know that it was satan who did it. Could have been. Could just as more likely have been what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah, the earth was ready to open up and God prevented it up to that time. Don't know.

But in your comparison to Elijah, the fire from God did not destroy any person, did it? A little different I would think. Not a valid comparison...

The quote you listed says nothing to make a dramatic judgment of such. God is often said to be doing things He doesn't. A new thing, it was. Not natural. Doesn't mean God hurts people. People get hurt from lack of protection.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184456
07/10/17 06:06 PM
07/10/17 06:06 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
dedication,

Do you "love" having a vengeful God, or do you just follow the Biblical evidence where it leads? Do you find your ideas as to who God is in opposition to the Bible, or in the plain reading of the Bible?

I guess if some people on this forum have kids and they have ever punished them for anything at all they love vengeance and are very vengeful. I guess, though, they bring in the neighborhood psychopath to "discipline" their kids so they can look the other way and then claim they have no moral responsibility for the "discipline" that sicko administers to their own children.

We act out how we view God in our lives so that must be how they relate to their kids.

I can just see it, Since you kids have been disobeying me, I'm calling in the psychopath, so I won't have to discipline you myself because that would be vengeful on my part.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184457
07/10/17 06:10 PM
07/10/17 06:10 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Myself, I'm with David. Let me fall into the hands of our merciful God for my punishment/discipline. I don't want the devil turned loose on me. He's far too cruel. I've seen far to much of his kind of "love".

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: kland] #184459
07/10/17 10:54 PM
07/10/17 10:54 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Most will readily acknowledge that God sent down the fire on the altar in answer to Elijah's challenge on Mount Carmel.

But in your comparison to Elijah, the fire from God did not destroy any person, did it? A little different I would think. Not a valid comparison...

Are you sure?
What about the priests and prophets of Baal -- what happened to them?
Originally Posted By: EGW
At last the people see how greatly they have dishonored God. The character of Baal worship, in contrast with the reasonable service required by the true God, stands fully revealed. The people recognize God's justice and mercy in withholding the dew and the rain until they have been brought to confess His name.
The priests of Baal witness with consternation the wonderful revelation of Jehovah's power. Yet even in their
discomfiture and in the presence of divine glory, they refuse to repent of their evil-doing. They would still remain the prophets of Baal. Thus they showed themselves ripe for destruction. That repentant Israel may be protected from the allurements of those who have taught them to worship Baal, Elijah is directed by the Lord to destroy these false teachers. The anger of the people has already been aroused against the leaders in transgression; and when Elijah gives the command, "Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape," they are ready to obey. They seize the priests, and take them to the brook Kishon, and there, before the close of the day that marked the beginning of decided reform, the ministers of Baal are slain. Not one is permitted to live. {PK 153.2}

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: kland] #184461
07/11/17 01:28 AM
07/11/17 01:28 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

I don't know that it was satan who did it. Could have been. Could just as more likely have been what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah, the earth was ready to open up and God prevented it up to that time. Don't know.

The quote you listed says nothing to make a dramatic judgment of such. God is often said to be doing things He doesn't. A new thing, it was. Not natural. Doesn't mean God hurts people. People get hurt from lack of protection.

The quote appears to be quite plain --

Quote:

...Overwhelming evidence had been given that they were wrong, and that Moses was right. The signal manifestation of God's power had removed all uncertainty. {PP 401.2}

... in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom.

"They dared to attribute God's judgments to Satan,...
It was this act that sealed their doom."

It also seems to me that attributing satan's motives to God's acts of judgment is equally bad.

Your comment troubles me --
[
Originally Posted By: Kland
God is often said to be doing things he doesn't."

What does that mean? -- it sounds like we can't trust the Bible, it often tells us things that aren't really that way????

This whole theory troubles me -- why?

Because, when I read it, the theory seems to leave me with only two options, neither of them appealing.

1. Believe the theory and don't trust the Bible, it often tells us things that aren't really that way? (That places one on very shaky ground, if we can't trust what scripture says)
OR
2. If we do take the Bible as it reads, those pushing this theory picture God's justice and deliverance from powerful sinners as tyranny and murder, and greatly smear the character of God by attributing satan's motives to God's acts of justice. (That destroys God's character, His sovereignty and holiness, it does not vindicate it AT ALL)

God is NOT out to hurt anyone -- that is not his purpose.
God is LOVE -- yes, infinite love, in holiness, justice, and redeeming grace. Love so great it's "amazing grace"!!!
It's true that God's purpose isn't to hurt anyone -- He seeks to redeem, to save, to restore. But we can't deny that in order for many to be saved, those who are fully given to destroy truth must be checked, a loving God can't allow the destroyers of truth to completely block salvation from his children.

All heaven is interested and working for our salvation. But what must be understood is that this includes keeping incorrigible sinners from completely obscuring and obstructing truth to reach those who would be responsive to God's grace. It includes God working to actively deliver His trusting people, from those who would destroy them.

People talking about the "character of God" couldn't really love and understand God's character, when they stoop to making the comments that they do concerning God's justice in dealing with incorrigible sinners. In their efforts to twist away from what the Bible and spirit of prophecy actually says about judgment, too often they make it sound terribly mean and hideous, which simply ends up making the God of scripture sound terrible.

It troubles me greatly --
and I may close this thread if it develops into that sort of thing, I have no desire to witness again where these discussions end up.
God's name is sacred, holy, yes amazing grace and love, and righteousness, justice and goodness.
We've kind of wandered away from the original theme anyway--the
legal work and the healing work of Christ in bringing us salvation -- I was hoping we could see how they worked together to form the complete picture.
But I guess that won't happen.

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: APL] #184468
07/11/17 03:33 AM
07/11/17 03:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
. . . They are making a fundamental statement of intent to stand on their own and in defiance of God's righteousness as their only covering and protection, they boldly try to come before Him on their own merits. God honors their final choice in the matter, and we have then a dramatic example of the withdrawal of His word, the fire of the Holy Spirit, from them, and they are "consumed," not in a physical rapid oxidation from great heat, but they die immediately by the cessation of God's sustaining power within their being.

Pantheism/panentheism.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The warnings of the word of God regarding the perils surrounding the Christian church belong to us today. As in the days of the apostles men tried by tradition and philosophy to destroy faith in the Scriptures, so today, by the pleasing sentiments of higher criticism, evolution, spiritualism, theosophy, and pantheism, the enemy of righteousness is seeking to lead souls into forbidden paths. To many the Bible is as a lamp without oil, because they have turned their minds into channels of speculative belief that bring misunderstanding and confusion. The work of higher criticism, in dissecting, conjecturing, reconstructing, is destroying faith in the Bible as a divine revelation. It is robbing God's word of power to control, uplift, and inspire human lives. By spiritualism, multitudes are taught to believe that desire is the highest law, that license is liberty, and that man is accountable only to himself. {AA 474.1}

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Pantheistic theories are not sustained by the word of God. . . . {8T 291.2}

Our condition through sin has become preternatural, and the power that restores us must be supernatural, else it has no value. There is but one power that can break the hold of evil from the hearts of men, and that is the power of God in Jesus Christ. Only through the blood of the Crucified One is there cleansing from sin. His grace alone can enable us to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature. This power the spiritualistic theories concerning God make of no effect. If God is an essence pervading all nature, then He dwells in all men; and in order to attain holiness, man has only to develop the power that is within him. {8T 291.3}

These theories, followed to their logical conclusion, sweep away the whole Christian economy. They do away with the necessity for the atonement and make man his own savior. These theories regarding God make His word of no effect, and those who accept them are in great danger of being led finally to look upon the whole Bible as a fiction. They may regard virtue as better than vice; but God being removed from His position of sovereignty, they place their dependence upon human power, which, without God, is worthless. The unaided human will has no real power to resist and overcome evil. The defenses of the soul are broken down. Man has no barrier against sin. When once the restraints of God's word and His Spirit are rejected, we know not to what depths one may sink. {8T 291.4}

Those who continue to hold these spiritualistic theories will surely spoil their Christian experience, sever their connection with God, and lose eternal life. {8T 292.1}

APL has not yet rejected all of the truths to which this spiritualistic theory will lead, but those points of error underscored in the above represent some that he appears already to have imbibed.

"preternatural"
Originally Posted By: Dictionary
preternatural |ˌprētərˈnaCH(ə)rəl|
adjective
beyond what is normal or natural: autumn had arrived with preternatural speed.

This is notable, because APL seems to think "sin" produces death as its "natural" result.

"do away with the necessity for the atonement"

This is notable, because APL doesn't believe in the substitutionary atonement.

"make His word of no effect"

This is notable, because wherever the Word says God kills, destroys, or punishes, APL doesn't accept the plain reading, but reinterprets it to be something else, usually rather opposite in meaning, such as that Satan did what the Bible says God did.

"God being removed from His position of sovereignty"

This is notable, because APL relegates to "sin" the ultimate power attributed to God in the Bible--that of putting an end to sin by destroying sin and sinners.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184469
07/11/17 03:43 AM
07/11/17 03:43 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
"They dared to attribute God's judgments to Satan,...
It was this act that sealed their doom."

It also seems to me that attributing satan's motives to God's acts of judgment is equally bad.

dedication - what does the ... say in your quote? WHY do you not include it? And while you are at it, read the WHOLE chapter. The accusation were that MOSES and AARON had cause the death of Korah by the power of satan. But you have not left that fact out 3 times. You can't leave that out. And when taking the chapter as a whole, the facts come out. The people were condemned for accusing Moses and Aaron. And in the end: God works by the manifestation of His Spirit to reprove and convict the sinner; and if the Spirit's work is finally rejected, there is no more that God can do for the soul. The last resource of divine mercy has been employed. The transgressor has cut himself off from God, and sin has no remedy to cure itself. There is no reserved power by which God can work to convict and convert the sinner. "Let him alone" (Hosea 4:17) is the divine command. {PP 405.1}

And when God gives the sin what they want, the results are not pretty.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184470
07/11/17 02:31 PM
07/11/17 02:31 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Are you sure?
What about the priests and prophets of Baal -- what happened to them?
Originally Posted By: EGW
At last the people see how greatly they have dishonored God. The character of Baal worship, in contrast with the reasonable service required by the true God, stands fully revealed. The people recognize God's justice and mercy in withholding the dew and the rain until they have been brought to confess His name.
The priests of Baal witness with consternation the wonderful revelation of Jehovah's power. Yet even in their
discomfiture and in the presence of divine glory, they refuse to repent of their evil-doing. They would still remain the prophets of Baal. Thus they showed themselves ripe for destruction. That repentant Israel may be protected from the allurements of those who have taught them to worship Baal, Elijah is directed by the Lord to destroy these false teachers. The anger of the people has already been aroused against the leaders in transgression; and when Elijah gives the command, "Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape," they are ready to obey. They seize the priests, and take them to the brook Kishon, and there, before the close of the day that marked the beginning of decided reform, the ministers of Baal are slain. Not one is permitted to live. {PK 153.2}
Your underlined portion says that people destroyed them. Not God. The comparison is not the same.

Quote:
Your comment troubles me --
[
Originally Posted By: Kland
God is often said to be doing things he doesn't."

What does that mean? -- it sounds like we can't trust the Bible, it often tells us things that aren't really that way????
Back to.... Who killed Saul. The Bible says God did. The Bible says Saul did. Can we trust the Bible?

Quote:
God is NOT out to hurt anyone -- that is not his purpose.
God is LOVE -- yes, infinite love, in holiness, justice, and redeeming grace. Love so great it's "amazing grace"!!!
It's true that God's purpose isn't to hurt anyone -- He seeks to redeem, to save, to restore. But we can't deny that in order for many to be saved, those who are fully given to destroy truth must be checked, a loving God can't allow the destroyers of truth to completely block salvation from his children.

Setting people on fire seems to be out to hurt people.
Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?
Seems like there's a thread on socialism, forced coercion.....

Re: Legal AND/OR healing restoration, [Re: dedication] #184474
07/11/17 03:39 PM
07/11/17 03:39 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Let's look at some absurdly deceitful logic that has just been displayed in this thread.

Quote:
The priests of Baal witness with consternation the wonderful revelation of Jehovah's power. Yet even in their discomfiture and in the presence of divine glory, they refuse to repent of their evil-doing, They would still remain the prophets of Baal. Thus they showed themselves ripe for destruction. That repentant Israel may be protected from the allurements of those who have taught them to worship Baal, Elijah is directed by the Lord to destroy these false teachers. The anger of the people has already been aroused against the leaders in transgression; and when Elijah gives the command, “Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape,” they are ready to obey They seize the priests, and take them to the brook Kishon, and there, before the close of the day that marked the beginning of decided reform, the ministers of Baal are slain, Not one is permitted to live.
PP p. 155

Who in their right mind would argue that God has no moral responsibility for the death of the prophets of Baal? It was at His direct command that the killings took place.

This is like the wealthy person who has been harassed by his neighbor repeatedly. The neighbor has repeatedly turned the entire neighborhood against him through deceit and misrepresentation. The harassed man has finally had enough so he goes out and finds someone who will kill the nasty neighbor for him. He pays off the assassin after the neighbor is killed, and then thinks, I'm sure glad I found someone to kill that jerk. Now I don't have any blood on my hands.

According to apl and kland this man who hires his killing done bears no moral responsibility whatsoever. According to them the way to be free of moral responsibility for the killing of your enemy is to have someone else do the killing for you.

This is so patently absurd it is ridiculous. It denies all sense of morality for the ultimate cause of a killing is free of all moral responsibility if someone else does the killing.

I don't see how any honest person can even begin to make this argument. It goes against everything the Bible teaches on moral accountability.

Last edited by Gary K; 07/11/17 03:46 PM.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!