HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts #186959
06/30/18 10:25 PM
06/30/18 10:25 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
THIRD QUARTER LESSON STUDY on "THE BOOK OF ACTS"

Condensed from the introduction.

"Many historians believe that the three most important decades in world history occurred when a small group of men, mostly Jews under the power of the Hoy Spirit, took the gospel to the world. The book of Acts is an account of those three crucial decades, which spanned from the resurrection of Jesus, in A.D. 31 to the about A.D. 62."

The authur is generally acknowledge as Luke the beloved Greek physician and traveling companion of Paul.

The main themes of the book:

1. The universality of salvation irrespective of their race, social status, or gender.

2. The sovereignty of God and His divine purpose.

3. The exaltation of Jesus as Lord and Savior.

4. The work of the Holy Spirit in empowering and guiding the church for its mission.

5. The formative period of the early church -- administration and theological growth.

"Acts is the story of those called of God to start the work; what can we who are called of God to finish it learn from their story?"

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186961
07/01/18 01:23 AM
07/01/18 01:23 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson One - webpage]

The first lesson deals mainly with time beginning with Christ's last words to His disciples before His ascension, and covers the 40 days to the day of Pentecost.

The disciples receive the commission to preach the gospel to every nation from Jesus. But first they needed
preparation.

They needed time to reflect on the message itself. There were still confused ideas about an immanent physical kingdom.

An important part of the gospel message they were to take to the world, included the truth that Christ was coming again, once the gospel was preached to the whole world.

They were to spend time in reflection and preparation waiting for the Holy Spirit to come and empower them for the work. Without the Holy Spirit the task before them was not possible.

They also chose a "disciple" to take the place of Judas, thus to again be "twelve disciples".

IN OUR DAY

We too, are to give a message to the world. A message we find in Revelation 14. A message of the soon coming of Christ.

We too, need that preparation and to receive the Holy Spirit in order to do the work Christ has commissioned His followers to give.

How can we learn from them on how to
prepare to receive the Holy Spirit and fit us to give the last warning message in the everlasting gospel and announce Christ's soon return.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186971
07/03/18 04:29 AM
07/03/18 04:29 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Question on the Restoration of Israel on Sunday.

Immediately after the resurrections, the disciples still seemed to think Jesus would be king of Israel and establish an earthly throne to restore Israel to greatness.
Jesus did not answer their question when they asked "will you now establish the kingdom of Israel" in Acts 1. He simply tells them not to worry about it for it was not for them to know.
Christ had already taught them much, and He knew the Holy Spirit would bring it to their remembrance and help them understand.

But we might ask, if the restoration was way in the future why did both John the Baptist, and Jesus go about preaching "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand?"

The expression “kingdom of God” can mean
1. the kingdom of grace and
2. the kingdom of glory.

There was a kingdom established during Christ's first coming.

" The kingdom of grace was instituted immediately after the fall of man. . . . Yet it was not actually established until the death of Christ. ...when the Saviour yielded up His life, and with His expiring breath cried out, "It is finished," then the fulfillment of the plan of redemption was assured. The promise of salvation made to the sinful pair in Eden was ratified. The kingdom of grace, which had before existed by the promise of God, was then established. " AG p.19

Christ's answer to the question, "when will the kingdom of God come" in Luke 17, was speaking about the kingdom of grace.

Luke 17:20"The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

In other words, the principles of God's kingdom are to grow in our hearts and minds as we abide with Christ, and become more and more like Him. Many of Christ's parables concerning the "Kingdom" were illustrating the growth of His kingdom on the hearts of people.

The kingdom of grace has as it's throne -- "the throne of mercy" which we find in the book of Hebrews.

The kingdom of glory, is the future glorious kingdom, when those who have already become citizens of the kingdom, by abiding in Christ during their earthly lives, will live with Christ forever in that glorious kingdom.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186973
07/04/18 02:17 AM
07/04/18 02:17 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Are people still making the same mistake today in thinking Christ will set up a kingdom in which He will enforce obedience?

"Today in the religious world there are multitudes who, as they believe, are working for the establishment of the kingdom of Christ as an earthly and temporal dominion. They desire to make our Lord the ruler of the kingdoms of this world, the ruler in its courts and military camps, its legislative halls, its palaces and market places. They expect Him to rule through legal enactments, enforced by human authority. Since Christ is not now here in person, they themselves will undertake to act in His stead, to execute the laws of His kingdom. The establishment of such a kingdom is what the Jews desired in the days of Christ. They would have received Jesus, had He been willing to establish a temporal dominion, to enforce what they regarded as the laws of God, and to make them the expositors of His will and the agents of His authority. But He said, 'My kingdom is not of this world.' John 18:36. He would not accept the earthly throne." ~ E.G. White, The Desire of Ages, page 509

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187033
07/10/18 05:37 AM
07/10/18 05:37 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson Two:

This weeks lesson focuses on a very important event in history.

Pentecost

We read the words of scripture:

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth...

Luke 24:29 And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”

Acts 1:12-14 Then they returned unto Jerusalem... went up into an upper room... and all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2: 5-13 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own 3language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and 4Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”

13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.

Acts 2:37 Now when the people heard his words, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children,

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187036
07/11/18 05:03 AM
07/11/18 05:03 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth...

Keep reading!
John 14:17-18 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you. (18) I will not leave you comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU. [emphasis supplied] Who will come to us? Christ!

John 14:19-20 Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but you see me: because I live, you shall live also. (20) At that day you shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. [WHO?]

John 14:21-31 He that has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM. (22) Judas said to him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world? (23) Jesus answered and said to him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, AND WE WILL COME TO HIM, and make our stayed with him. (24) He that loves me not keeps not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (25) These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. (26) But THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (28) You have heard how I said to you, I GO AWAY, AND COME AGAIN TO YOU. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go to the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (29) And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, you might believe. (30) Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me. (31) But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

We want the Holy Spirit, which is Jesus Christ. {Lt66-1894}

The nights are long and painful, but Jesus is my Comforter and my Hope. {Ms34-1892}

The Saviour is our Comforter. This I have proved Him to be. {Ms20-1892}

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you.

The Holy Spirit is Christ's representative, but divested of the personality of humanity, and independent thereof. Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally. Therefore it was for their interest that He should go to the Father, and send the Spirit to be His successor on earth. No one could then have any advantage because of his location or his personal contact with Christ. By the Spirit the Saviour would be accessible to all. In this sense He would be nearer to them than if He had not ascended on high. {DA 669.2}

Christ's visible presence was about to be withdrawn from the disciples, but a new endowment of power was to be theirs. The Holy Spirit was to be given them in its fullness, sealing them for their work. "Behold," the Saviour said, "I send the promise of My Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high." Luke 24:49. "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence." [PENTECOST] "Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:5; Acts 1:8. {AA 30.2}

The Saviour knew that no argument, however logical, would melt hard hearts or break through the crust of worldliness and selfishness. He knew that His disciples must receive the heavenly endowment; that the gospel would be effective only as it was proclaimed by hearts made warm and lips made eloquent by a living knowledge of Him who is the way, the truth, and the life. The work committed to the disciples would require great efficiency; for the tide of evil ran deep and strong against them. A vigilant, determined leader was in command of the forces of darkness, and the followers of Christ could battle for the right only through the help that God, by His Spirit, would give them. {AA 31.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: APL] #187040
07/11/18 01:55 PM
07/11/18 01:55 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: dedication

Keep reading!

John 14:17-18 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you. (18) I will not leave you comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU. [emphasis supplied] Who will come to us? Christ!

John 14:19-20 Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but you see me: because I live, you shall live also. (20) At that day you shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. [WHO?]

John 14:21-31 He that has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM. (22) Judas said to him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world? (23) Jesus answered and said to him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, AND WE WILL COME TO HIM, and make our stayed with him. (24) He that loves me not keeps not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (25) These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. (26) But THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (28) You have heard how I said to you, I GO AWAY, AND COME AGAIN TO YOU. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go to the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (29) And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, you might believe. (30) Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me. (31) But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

• It is obvious that Jesus Christ IS the Comforter. But you have to be careful that you don't see Him as some kind of a gaseous being diffused throughout the universe. Didn't the angels comfort the disciples saying,"Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven"? So He is bodily there.

• Nevertheless, in John 14:8-9, when Philip had asked Him, "Lord, show us the Father," He replied, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father," meaning that He was the Divine plenipotentiary, representative of God on earth; but NOT the Father Himself.

In a similar manner, He is with us through the agency of His angelic host, as it is written: "But to which of the angels has He ever said, "Sit at My right hand till I make Your enemies Your footstool"? Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" (Heb. 1:13-14) And again "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants -- things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John ..." (Rev. 1:1)

• God's angels are holy and spirit and everywhere beside and in the midst of His people, aren't they? And to show you the power with which they are invested on behalf of God, consider Gabriel's word to Zacharias, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time." (Luke 1:19-20)

BUT more importantly, this: "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven." (Mat. 18:10)

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: James Peterson] #187043
07/11/18 07:24 PM
07/11/18 07:24 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

• It is obvious that Jesus Christ IS the Comforter. But you have to be careful that you don't see Him as some kind of a gaseous being diffused throughout the universe. Didn't the angels comfort the disciples saying,"Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven"? So He is bodily there.

Is it possible that rather than a gaseous being, the Comforter IS Jesus Christ speaking to your conscience?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: kland] #187045
07/11/18 08:18 PM
07/11/18 08:18 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Keep reading!

• Nevertheless, in John 14:8-9, when Philip had asked Him, "Lord, show us the Father," He replied, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father," meaning that He was the Divine plenipotentiary, representative of God on earth; but NOT the Father Himself.

In a similar manner, He is with us through the agency of His angelic host, as it is written: "But to which of the angels has He ever said, "Sit at My right hand till I make Your enemies Your footstool"? Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" (Heb. 1:13-14) And again "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants -- things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John ..." (Rev. 1:1)

• God's angels are holy and spirit and everywhere beside and in the midst of His people, aren't they? And to show you the power with which they are invested on behalf of God, consider Gabriel's word to Zacharias, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time." (Luke 1:19-20)

BUT more importantly, this: "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven." (Mat. 18:10)

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187046
07/11/18 10:53 PM
07/11/18 10:53 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead.
He is not Jesus, just like Jesus is not the Father.
Yet, if you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father.
Likewise, if you have the Holy Spirit with you, you have Jesus with you.

There are three living persons in the Godhead, the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Why anyone would want to deny the reality of the Holy Spirit in light of this week's lesson is hard to understand.

But the Sabbath School Lesson isn't about defining the Godhead, rather it is about the Gift of the Holy Spirit empowering God's people to take the gospel to the world.

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!