HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts #186959
06/30/18 10:25 PM
06/30/18 10:25 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
THIRD QUARTER LESSON STUDY on "THE BOOK OF ACTS"

Condensed from the introduction.

"Many historians believe that the three most important decades in world history occurred when a small group of men, mostly Jews under the power of the Hoy Spirit, took the gospel to the world. The book of Acts is an account of those three crucial decades, which spanned from the resurrection of Jesus, in A.D. 31 to the about A.D. 62."

The authur is generally acknowledge as Luke the beloved Greek physician and traveling companion of Paul.

The main themes of the book:

1. The universality of salvation irrespective of their race, social status, or gender.

2. The sovereignty of God and His divine purpose.

3. The exaltation of Jesus as Lord and Savior.

4. The work of the Holy Spirit in empowering and guiding the church for its mission.

5. The formative period of the early church -- administration and theological growth.

"Acts is the story of those called of God to start the work; what can we who are called of God to finish it learn from their story?"

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186961
07/01/18 01:23 AM
07/01/18 01:23 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson One - webpage]

The first lesson deals mainly with time beginning with Christ's last words to His disciples before His ascension, and covers the 40 days to the day of Pentecost.

The disciples receive the commission to preach the gospel to every nation from Jesus. But first they needed
preparation.

They needed time to reflect on the message itself. There were still confused ideas about an immanent physical kingdom.

An important part of the gospel message they were to take to the world, included the truth that Christ was coming again, once the gospel was preached to the whole world.

They were to spend time in reflection and preparation waiting for the Holy Spirit to come and empower them for the work. Without the Holy Spirit the task before them was not possible.

They also chose a "disciple" to take the place of Judas, thus to again be "twelve disciples".

IN OUR DAY

We too, are to give a message to the world. A message we find in Revelation 14. A message of the soon coming of Christ.

We too, need that preparation and to receive the Holy Spirit in order to do the work Christ has commissioned His followers to give.

How can we learn from them on how to
prepare to receive the Holy Spirit and fit us to give the last warning message in the everlasting gospel and announce Christ's soon return.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186971
07/03/18 04:29 AM
07/03/18 04:29 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Question on the Restoration of Israel on Sunday.

Immediately after the resurrections, the disciples still seemed to think Jesus would be king of Israel and establish an earthly throne to restore Israel to greatness.
Jesus did not answer their question when they asked "will you now establish the kingdom of Israel" in Acts 1. He simply tells them not to worry about it for it was not for them to know.
Christ had already taught them much, and He knew the Holy Spirit would bring it to their remembrance and help them understand.

But we might ask, if the restoration was way in the future why did both John the Baptist, and Jesus go about preaching "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand?"

The expression “kingdom of God” can mean
1. the kingdom of grace and
2. the kingdom of glory.

There was a kingdom established during Christ's first coming.

" The kingdom of grace was instituted immediately after the fall of man. . . . Yet it was not actually established until the death of Christ. ...when the Saviour yielded up His life, and with His expiring breath cried out, "It is finished," then the fulfillment of the plan of redemption was assured. The promise of salvation made to the sinful pair in Eden was ratified. The kingdom of grace, which had before existed by the promise of God, was then established. " AG p.19

Christ's answer to the question, "when will the kingdom of God come" in Luke 17, was speaking about the kingdom of grace.

Luke 17:20"The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

In other words, the principles of God's kingdom are to grow in our hearts and minds as we abide with Christ, and become more and more like Him. Many of Christ's parables concerning the "Kingdom" were illustrating the growth of His kingdom on the hearts of people.

The kingdom of grace has as it's throne -- "the throne of mercy" which we find in the book of Hebrews.

The kingdom of glory, is the future glorious kingdom, when those who have already become citizens of the kingdom, by abiding in Christ during their earthly lives, will live with Christ forever in that glorious kingdom.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #186973
07/04/18 02:17 AM
07/04/18 02:17 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Are people still making the same mistake today in thinking Christ will set up a kingdom in which He will enforce obedience?

"Today in the religious world there are multitudes who, as they believe, are working for the establishment of the kingdom of Christ as an earthly and temporal dominion. They desire to make our Lord the ruler of the kingdoms of this world, the ruler in its courts and military camps, its legislative halls, its palaces and market places. They expect Him to rule through legal enactments, enforced by human authority. Since Christ is not now here in person, they themselves will undertake to act in His stead, to execute the laws of His kingdom. The establishment of such a kingdom is what the Jews desired in the days of Christ. They would have received Jesus, had He been willing to establish a temporal dominion, to enforce what they regarded as the laws of God, and to make them the expositors of His will and the agents of His authority. But He said, 'My kingdom is not of this world.' John 18:36. He would not accept the earthly throne." ~ E.G. White, The Desire of Ages, page 509

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187033
07/10/18 05:37 AM
07/10/18 05:37 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson Two:

This weeks lesson focuses on a very important event in history.

Pentecost

We read the words of scripture:

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth...

Luke 24:29 And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”

Acts 1:12-14 Then they returned unto Jerusalem... went up into an upper room... and all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2: 5-13 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own 3language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and 4Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”

13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.”
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.

Acts 2:37 Now when the people heard his words, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children,

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187036
07/11/18 05:03 AM
07/11/18 05:03 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of Truth...

Keep reading!
John 14:17-18 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you. (18) I will not leave you comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU. [emphasis supplied] Who will come to us? Christ!

John 14:19-20 Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but you see me: because I live, you shall live also. (20) At that day you shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. [WHO?]

John 14:21-31 He that has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM. (22) Judas said to him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world? (23) Jesus answered and said to him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, AND WE WILL COME TO HIM, and make our stayed with him. (24) He that loves me not keeps not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (25) These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. (26) But THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (28) You have heard how I said to you, I GO AWAY, AND COME AGAIN TO YOU. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go to the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (29) And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, you might believe. (30) Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me. (31) But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

We want the Holy Spirit, which is Jesus Christ. {Lt66-1894}

The nights are long and painful, but Jesus is my Comforter and my Hope. {Ms34-1892}

The Saviour is our Comforter. This I have proved Him to be. {Ms20-1892}

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you.

The Holy Spirit is Christ's representative, but divested of the personality of humanity, and independent thereof. Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally. Therefore it was for their interest that He should go to the Father, and send the Spirit to be His successor on earth. No one could then have any advantage because of his location or his personal contact with Christ. By the Spirit the Saviour would be accessible to all. In this sense He would be nearer to them than if He had not ascended on high. {DA 669.2}

Christ's visible presence was about to be withdrawn from the disciples, but a new endowment of power was to be theirs. The Holy Spirit was to be given them in its fullness, sealing them for their work. "Behold," the Saviour said, "I send the promise of My Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high." Luke 24:49. "For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence." [PENTECOST] "Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:5; Acts 1:8. {AA 30.2}

The Saviour knew that no argument, however logical, would melt hard hearts or break through the crust of worldliness and selfishness. He knew that His disciples must receive the heavenly endowment; that the gospel would be effective only as it was proclaimed by hearts made warm and lips made eloquent by a living knowledge of Him who is the way, the truth, and the life. The work committed to the disciples would require great efficiency; for the tide of evil ran deep and strong against them. A vigilant, determined leader was in command of the forces of darkness, and the followers of Christ could battle for the right only through the help that God, by His Spirit, would give them. {AA 31.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: APL] #187040
07/11/18 01:55 PM
07/11/18 01:55 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL

Keep reading!

John 14:17-18 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells with you, and shall be in you. (18) I will not leave you comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU. [emphasis supplied] Who will come to us? Christ!

John 14:19-20 Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but you see me: because I live, you shall live also. (20) At that day you shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. [WHO?]

John 14:21-31 He that has my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves me: and he that loves me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM. (22) Judas said to him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world? (23) Jesus answered and said to him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, AND WE WILL COME TO HIM, and make our stayed with him. (24) He that loves me not keeps not my sayings: and the word which you hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (25) These things have I spoken to you, being yet present with you. (26) But THE COMFORTER, WHICH IS THE HOLY GHOST, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. (27) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, give I to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (28) You have heard how I said to you, I GO AWAY, AND COME AGAIN TO YOU. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go to the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (29) And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, you might believe. (30) Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me. (31) But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

• It is obvious that Jesus Christ IS the Comforter. But you have to be careful that you don't see Him as some kind of a gaseous being diffused throughout the universe. Didn't the angels comfort the disciples saying,"Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven"? So He is bodily there.

• Nevertheless, in John 14:8-9, when Philip had asked Him, "Lord, show us the Father," He replied, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father," meaning that He was the Divine plenipotentiary, representative of God on earth; but NOT the Father Himself.

In a similar manner, He is with us through the agency of His angelic host, as it is written: "But to which of the angels has He ever said, "Sit at My right hand till I make Your enemies Your footstool"? Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" (Heb. 1:13-14) And again "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants -- things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John ..." (Rev. 1:1)

• God's angels are holy and spirit and everywhere beside and in the midst of His people, aren't they? And to show you the power with which they are invested on behalf of God, consider Gabriel's word to Zacharias, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time." (Luke 1:19-20)

BUT more importantly, this: "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven." (Mat. 18:10)

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: James Peterson] #187043
07/11/18 07:24 PM
07/11/18 07:24 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

• It is obvious that Jesus Christ IS the Comforter. But you have to be careful that you don't see Him as some kind of a gaseous being diffused throughout the universe. Didn't the angels comfort the disciples saying,"Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven"? So He is bodily there.

Is it possible that rather than a gaseous being, the Comforter IS Jesus Christ speaking to your conscience?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: kland] #187045
07/11/18 08:18 PM
07/11/18 08:18 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Keep reading!

• Nevertheless, in John 14:8-9, when Philip had asked Him, "Lord, show us the Father," He replied, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father," meaning that He was the Divine plenipotentiary, representative of God on earth; but NOT the Father Himself.

In a similar manner, He is with us through the agency of His angelic host, as it is written: "But to which of the angels has He ever said, "Sit at My right hand till I make Your enemies Your footstool"? Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?" (Heb. 1:13-14) And again "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants -- things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John ..." (Rev. 1:1)

• God's angels are holy and spirit and everywhere beside and in the midst of His people, aren't they? And to show you the power with which they are invested on behalf of God, consider Gabriel's word to Zacharias, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time." (Luke 1:19-20)

BUT more importantly, this: "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven." (Mat. 18:10)

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187046
07/11/18 10:53 PM
07/11/18 10:53 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead.
He is not Jesus, just like Jesus is not the Father.
Yet, if you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father.
Likewise, if you have the Holy Spirit with you, you have Jesus with you.

There are three living persons in the Godhead, the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Why anyone would want to deny the reality of the Holy Spirit in light of this week's lesson is hard to understand.

But the Sabbath School Lesson isn't about defining the Godhead, rather it is about the Gift of the Holy Spirit empowering God's people to take the gospel to the world.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187047
07/11/18 11:13 PM
07/11/18 11:13 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"John the Baptist foretold the baptism with the Spirit by the coming Messiah
Luke 3:16; John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

compare with Peter's experience while in the house of Cornelius Acts 11:13-17,
And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. 16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”

Jesus Himself referred to it several times
Luke 24:49, “Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”

Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be 3witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This outpouring would be His first intercessory act before God (John 14:16,And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—

John 14:26; But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

John 15:26)
But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.

At Pentecost, the promise was fulfilled

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187048
07/11/18 11:26 PM
07/11/18 11:26 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
That particular day of Pentecost saw the commencement of two very important things.

1. Christ's followers being empowered for the witnessing of the gospel in Jerusalem, then Samaria, and then to the whole world. Empowered for the building up of the Christian church, which was the true Israel (almost all of them were Jews who had accepted Christ, they were the true stem of the tree, and their first mission was to get as many Jews as would respond to accept the One to Whom all their symbolic worship symbols pointed.

2. It was the opening of Christ's heavenly ministry in the heavenly sanctuary as our Priest and Mediator.

Quote:
AA.038.003
Christ's ascension to heaven was the signal that His followers were to receive the
promised blessing. For this they were to wait before they entered upon their work.
When Christ passed within the heavenly gates, He was enthroned amidst the
adoration of the angels. As soon as this ceremony was completed,
the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples in rich currents,
and Christ was indeed glorified, even with the glory which He had
with the Father from all eternity. The Pentecostal outpouring was Heaven's
communication that the Redeemer's inauguration was accomplished.
According to His promise He had sent the Holy Spirit from heaven to His
followers as a token that He had, as priest and king, received all authority
in heaven and on earth, and was the Anointed One over His people.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187049
07/11/18 11:53 PM
07/11/18 11:53 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead.
He is not Jesus, just like Jesus is not the Father.

We want the Holy Spirit, which is Jesus Christ. If we commune with God, we shall have strength and grace and efficiency. {Lt66-1894}
The Saviour is our Comforter. This I have proved Him to be.
Yet, if you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father.
Likewise, if you have the Holy Spirit with you, you have Jesus with you.

Here the position of Jesus Christ in reference to his Father is brought to view. While they are one in purpose, and one in mind, yet in personality they are two. {RH, August 15, 1907 par. 4}
"And truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ." All through the Scriptures, the Father and the Son are spoken of as two distinct personages. You will hear men endeavoring to make the Son of God a nonentity. He and the Father are one, but they are two personages. Wrong sentiments regarding this are coming in, and we shall all have to meet them. {RH, July 13, 1905 par. 3}
In this scripture God and Christ are spoken of separately. They are two distinct persons, but one in mind, one in heart, one in holiness and justice, and purity, and one in the work of seeking to save the sinful race. To those who believe in Christ, God will give power to become His sons even to them that believe on His name. This is the science of the life that now is, and of the life which is to come. This is the true science .... {BCL 127.3}
They were two, yet little short of being identical; two in individuality, yet one in spirit, and heart, and character. {YI, December 16, 1897 par. 5}
There are three living persons in the Godhead, the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Three living personalities - yes!
Why anyone would want to deny the reality of the Holy Spirit in light of this week's lesson is hard to understand.

Who is denying the reality of the Holy Spirit? What we are seeing is a false idea of what the Holy Spirit really is.
It is not essential for us to be able to define just what the Holy Spirit is. Christ tells us that the Spirit is the Comforter, "the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father." It is plainly declared regarding the Holy Spirit that, in His work of guiding men into all truth, "He shall not speak of Himself." John 15:26; 16:13. {AA 51.3}

The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden. {AA 52.1}
But the Sabbath School Lesson isn't about defining the Godhead, rather it is about the Gift of the Holy Spirit empowering God's people to take the gospel to the world.

We are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Matt.28:19. By this we express our belief in the existence of the one true God [The Father], the mediation of his Son [The Son of the Father], and the influence of the Holy Spirit [The Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ]. {1858 UrS, BSA 21.7}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187051
07/12/18 12:04 AM
07/12/18 12:04 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Please stick to the lesson -- this is not a thread on the Godhead -- there are other threads for that.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187053
07/12/18 12:59 AM
07/12/18 12:59 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Please stick to the lesson -- this is not a thread on the Godhead -- there are other threads for that.
We are talking about Pentecost - and the gift that the Son of God bestowed on His followers, are we not? So yes, this is very pertinent to the lesson. Too bad you can understand that fact!

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187056
07/12/18 02:17 AM
07/12/18 02:17 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Monday

The Gift of Tongues

What is the evidence that at Pentecost the apostles spoke in existing foreign languages and not in some unknown ecstatic language?

What is the purpose of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit?
Why are they given?
Quote:

The gifts of the Spirit are promised to every believer according to his need for the Lord's work. The promise is just as strong and trustworthy now as in the days of the apostles. "These signs shall follow them that believe." This is the privilege of God's children, and faith should lay hold on all that it is possible to have as an endorsement of faith. {DA 823.2}

The promise of the Spirit is not appreciated as it should be. Its fulfillment is not realized as it might be. It is the absence of the Spirit that makes the gospel ministry so powerless. Learning, talents, eloquence, every natural or acquired endowment, may be possessed; but without the presence of the Spirit of God, no heart will be touched, no sinner be won to Christ. On the other hand, if they are connected with Christ, if the gifts of the Spirit are theirs, the poorest and most ignorant of His disciples will have a power that will tell upon hearts. God makes them the channel for the outworking of the highest influence in the universe. {COL 328.1}

Is it possible while being distracted over differences and making them the forefront of discussion with ongoing debates thus leading minds away from the more important themes, that the church today will not be found in "one accord" and will not receive the latter rain of the Holy Spirit?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187057
07/12/18 02:34 AM
07/12/18 02:34 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The promise of the Spirit is not appreciated as it should be. Its fulfillment is not realized as it might be. It is the absence of the Spirit that makes the gospel ministry so powerless. {COL 328.1}
The reason why the churches are weak and sickly and ready to die, is that the enemy has brought influences of a discouraging nature to bear upon trembling souls. He has sought to shut Jesus from their view as the Comforter, as one who reproves, who warns, who admonishes them, saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." Christ has all power in heaven and in earth, and he can strengthen the wavering, and set right the erring. He can inspire with confidence, with hope in God; and confidence in God always results in creating confidence in one another. {RH, August 26, 1890 par. 10}
This great spiritual destitution is not caused by any failure on the part of Christ doing all that is possible for the Church. Our Heavenly Father bestowed all Heaven in one gift,--that of his dear Son. The work of the Holy Spirit is not to daub with untempered mortar, but it is to convince the world of sin, of righteousness, of judgment to come. Jesus says, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." The revelation of the Son of God upon the cross, dying for the sins of men, draws the hearts of men by the power of infinite love, and convinces the sinner of sin. Christ died because the law was transgressed, that guilty man might be saved from the penalty of his enormous guilt. But history has proved that it is easier to destroy the world than to reform it; for men crucified the Lord of glory, who came to unite earth with heaven, and man with God. {RH, August 26, 1890 par. 13}

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187058
07/12/18 12:52 PM
07/12/18 12:52 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

We want the Holy Spirit, which is Jesus Christ. If we commune with God, we shall have strength and grace and efficiency. {Lt66-1894}

Why would anyone deny Jesus?

I find your comment offensive. No one has denied the Holy Spirit. They have only denied it in the form of your making.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187061
07/12/18 10:22 PM
07/12/18 10:22 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

Is it possible while being distracted over differences and making them the forefront of discussion with ongoing debates thus leading minds away from the more important themes, that the church today will not be found in "one accord" and will not receive the latter rain of the Holy Spirit?

• I've heard it said many times during the Sabbath School that the disciples were "in one accord", as in: they had all pledged allegiance in true sincerity of heart to a creed of 28 Fundamental Beliefs and they had all come to a common understanding with no one having, or even thinking of proposing, a difference of opinion concerning any doctrine. I've heard it urged on the members to therefore quiet their misgivings and conscience, seal their lips and say nothing, to accept the denomination's interpretations of things that we all may receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

• That is NOT what Luke meant.

What he was doing was emphasizing the dramatic contrast about to develop from harmony to the ensuing "confusion", from unity to diversity, from a single language of praise to a cacophony of tongues in adoration.

So then, as one may imagine, they all began singing together in one accord in sweet harmony in one language, "Praise to the LORD, The Almighty, the King of Creation ...." when suddenly, as it is written, "there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them." Immediately, the entire congregation of about 120 people started praising God in a multiplicity of languages!

• From one accord of a common language to a diversity of tongues, each a language of those who come to witness what had happened.

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187063
07/13/18 02:15 AM
07/13/18 02:15 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

But don't you see -- It's all three! All three are mentioned in the above. Jesus and the Father are with us through the Holy Spirit, and we commune with the Father, and with Christ, when the Holy Spirit fills our hearts and minds with divine truth.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who comes forth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

And no -- James, I have never heard anyone say "one accord" means they pledged to all 28 Adventist beliefs.
But one thing I'm sure -- they weren't arguing over whether Jesus had descended upon them or the Holy Spirit. They only knew the Divine presence from God had come and was empowering them and they went out to tell the world about Jesus and salvation.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187064
07/13/18 02:42 AM
07/13/18 02:42 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada

But don't you see -- It's all three! All three are mentioned in the above. Jesus and the Father are with us through the Holy Spirit, and we commune with the Father, and with Christ, when the Holy Spirit fills our hearts and minds with divine truth.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who comes forth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

And no -- James, I have never heard anyone say "one accord" means they pledged to all 28 Adventist beliefs.
But one thing I'm sure -- they weren't arguing over whether Jesus had descended upon them or the Holy Spirit. They only knew the Divine presence from God had come and was empowering them and they went out to tell the world about Jesus and salvation.

SDA like to say that that gathering was Seventh-day Adventist; and if SDA then subscribers to their creed: the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the denomination.

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187065
07/13/18 04:11 AM
07/13/18 04:11 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

"When you (we) will come under the divine guidance, the Comforter will lead you (us) into all truth. The office of the Holy Spirit is to take the things of Christ as they fall from His lips, and infuse them as living principles into the hearts opened to receive them. Then we will know both the Father and the Son.--Letter 40, 1890, pp. 10-11.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187066
07/13/18 04:28 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I think "of one accord" means they had given up their "who is the greatest" and their vying for position, and were united in seeking the Lord's will.

At that point they had not formulated any official "Fundamentals of Belief" or creeds. They were still in total awe as they realized what had just taken place, and the significance of those events. They still had spiritual growing to do, but their hearts were cleansed of self centered things, and they were ready to be filled with the things of God.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187067
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

Ah - The Holy Spirit which is Christ equals how many beings? Not 2, but one. Don't you see it? The Father and the Son. The Spirit is not a separate being. In fact the nature of the Spirit is a mystery which has not be revealed, but the trinitarian mindset defines just what the Spirit is based on church dogma.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187070
07/13/18 09:04 PM
07/13/18 09:04 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Rather than quoting me with the highlighting....

Odd indefensible position you're taking.

Shall we take other things Ellen White says, "which is", to mean more than one and the same?

Hmmm....
Quote:
When, in the midst of his blind error and prejudice, Saul was given a revelation of the Christ whom he was persecuting, he was placed in direct communication with the church, which is the light of the world. In this case Ananias represents Christ, and also represents Christ's ministers upon the earth, who are appointed to act in His stead. In Christ's stead Ananias touches the eyes of Saul, that they may receive sight. In Christ's stead he places his hands upon him, and, as he prays in Christ's name, Saul receives the Holy Ghost. All is done in the name and by the authority of Christ. Christ is the fountain; the church is the channel of communication. {AA 122.4}
So here you would be saying there's the church (which is NOT the light of the world) AND the light of the world. Two things?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187071
07/13/18 09:07 PM
07/13/18 09:07 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Acts 3:19 Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached to you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Dedication, what does the highlighted phrase mean to you in the context?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: APL] #187073
07/13/18 11:20 PM
07/13/18 11:20 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: APL
Ah - The Holy Spirit which is Christ equals how many beings? Not 2, but one. Don't you see it? The Father and the Son. The Spirit is not a separate being.

Really?

BT.1906-03-01.001
The Father is all the fullness of the Godhead bodily...,
The Son is all the fullness of the Godhead manifested....
the Spirit in all the fullness of the Godhead...
There are three living persons of the heavenly trio. In the name of these three powers,--the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, those who receive Christ by living faith are baptized.

Signs of the Times, December 1, 1898 par. 2
What gift could He bestow rich enough to signalize and grace His ascension to the mediatorial throne? It must be worthy of His greatness and His royalty. He determined to give His representative, the third person of the Godhead.

RH.1904-05-19.003
Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the third person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fulness of divine power.

RH.1908-11-19.006 Of the Spirit, Jesus said, "He shall glorify me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of his love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing his grace to the world.

SPTA10.025.002 (Letter 8, 1896, p. 1 (To "My Brethren in America," February 6, 1896.)
Evil had been accumulating for centuries, and could only be restrained and resisted by the mighty power of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fulness of divine power.

SPTA10.037.001
The prince of the power of evil can only be held in check by the power of God in the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit.

Councils on Health p. 222
The Godhead was stirred with pity for the race, and the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit gave themselves to the working out of the plan of redemption.

Signs of Times,June 19, 1901
Our sanctification is the work of the FATHER, THE SON, and THE HOLY SPIRIT. It is the fulfilment of the covenant that God has made with those who bind themselve up with Him, to stand with Him, with His Son, and with His Spirit in holy fellowship....

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187075
07/14/18 03:16 AM
07/14/18 03:16 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Father - IS ALL THE FULLNESS...
Son - IS ALL THE FULLNESS...
Spirit - IN ALL THE FULLNESS...

The Holy Spirit recognizes and guides us into all truth. God has given His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Christ is the sinner’s Saviour. Christ’s death has redeemed the sinner. This is our only hope. If we make a full surrender of self, and practice the virtues of Christ, we shall gain the prize of eternal life. {Ms21-1906}

Now read back 3 paragraphs from this quote. (you know how to find it, Daryl might struggle) The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ, which is Christ divested of the personality of humanity (taking on the personality of the Spirit) and independent there of. It is easy to understand if you are not blinded by preconceived ideas. The Pioneers were right! Ellen White was right! And our religion has been changed.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: kland] #187077
07/15/18 02:06 AM
07/15/18 02:06 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Acts 3:19 Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached to you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Dedication, what does the highlighted phrase mean to you in the context?

This was part of Peter's sermon on the day of Pentecost.
Repent! What does it mean? It means more than sorrow for sin, more than confession of sin, more than forgiveness of sin, though all that is part of repentance.
Repentance means a "turn around" a change of direction in one's life. That's why it's connected to baptism which symbolizes the death to the old way, and the rebirth to new life. A true refreshing!

Only when connected to Divine power can this work of transformation in heart and mind take place. The Holy Spirit brings the presence of God the Father and of Christ to us! The wonderful plan of salvation was also part of Peter's sermon as He presented to them the crucified and risen Savior.

And as Jesus Himself, also said:
"John 3:5 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." John 3:3

That your sins may be blotted out:
The final blotting out of sins is done during the investigative judgment.
Peter says Jesus is in heaven now-- "received into heaven until the times of restitution of all things."

Jesus is in His heavenly temple, and will now accept our sacrifices, our prayers, and our confessions of faults and sins, and will pardon all the transgressions of His people, that they may be blotted out before He leaves the sanctuary.

And yes, then "he shall send Jesus Christ" at the time of restitution of all things -- the second coming!
And yes, we want to cleansed and purified, refreshed with newness of life by the Spirit, so we can meet our Savior in the air and forever be with Him!

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187078
07/15/18 02:52 AM
07/15/18 02:52 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson THREE

THE EARLY CHURCH

In the first little while --

42 They continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided 7them among all, as anyone had need.

46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
(Acts 2:42-47, NKJV).

The believers experienced quite a detachment from material goods!
They seemed to believe that the time was short, they sold all they had and devoted themselves to learning and to fellowship while continuing to witness about Jesus in Jerusalem.

This was the still part of the last week of the prophesied 70 weeks (490 years) allotted to the Jewish nation. The covenant of salvation was first offered to them! The evidence that Christ was indeed Lord come down from heaven to save sinners, was to be fully shown as truth to the nation of Judea before the believers scattered to share the good news to other people and nations.

A question asked:

What was an important aspect of early Christian fellowship?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187081
07/15/18 06:07 PM
07/15/18 06:07 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
42 They continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

An overlooked (in Protestantism) aspect of this text is what it does NOT say. It includes: the apostles doctrine, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayers. Curiously, it says nothing of the written word. Sort of calls into question the validity of the protestant principle of Sola Scriptura.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: JAK] #187084
07/15/18 08:35 PM
07/15/18 08:35 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: JAK
42 They continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

An overlooked (in Protestantism) aspect of this text is what it does NOT say. It includes: the apostles doctrine, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayers. Curiously, it says nothing of the written word. Sort of calls into question the validity of the protestant principle of Sola Scriptura.

Except that it does say what the "apostle's doctrine" was. Read Peter's exposition just previously in verses 14-39. Notice how Peter doesn't quote any of the rabbis, but what was written by the prophets long ago (a practice we would definitely call sola scriptura).

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: James Peterson] #187089
07/16/18 02:01 AM
07/16/18 02:01 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
Except that it does say what the "apostle's doctrine" was. Read Peter's exposition just previously in verses 14-39. Notice how Peter doesn't quote any of the rabbis, but what was written by the prophets long ago (a practice we would definitely call sola scriptura).

Absolutely right. And for the record, Sola Scriptura is a critical anchor for me.

However I would like to point out (as an aside) that the NT has far more instances of the apostles saying "remember what I taught you" than "remember what is written."

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187096
07/22/18 12:59 AM
07/22/18 12:59 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
A question for Daryl - this week's lesson discussed Ananias and Sapphira. What killed them?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187098
07/24/18 04:12 PM
07/24/18 04:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Must have been god. Made them all very afraid.
Acts 5:11 And great fear came on all the church, and on as many as heard these things.

The lesson said they were "punished". While they sure didn't do that again, not sure what the lesson's definition of punishment was.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187099
07/24/18 04:22 PM
07/24/18 04:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Monday's lesson
Stephen’s explicit condemnation before the Sanhedrin for the idolatrous veneration of the temple (Acts 7:48) reveals that he understood the deeper implications of the death of Jesus and where it would lead, at least in regard to the temple and its ceremonial services.

In other words, while perhaps many Jewish believers of Judean origin were still too attached to the temple and other ceremonial practices (Acts 3:1; 15:1, 5; 21:17-24) and were finding it difficult to abandon them (Gal. 5:2-4, Heb. 5:11-14), Stephen, and perhaps the other Hellenistic believers as well, quickly understood that Jesus’ death signified the end of the entire temple order.

Separated out is "temple" from its "ceremonial services". What is the temple's ceremonial services, or the "entire" temple order? What I'm getting to more specifically is some say the temple "sacrifices" are no longer, but everything else still holds. Like they did in Stephen's day. So where's concrete reference that services and order refer to more than sacrifices and what they would be? Similarly, or differently, what is the "law of Moses" that those of the time referred to?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: kland] #187101
07/24/18 05:48 PM
07/24/18 05:48 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Monday's lesson
Stephen’s explicit condemnation before the Sanhedrin for the idolatrous veneration of the temple (Acts 7:48) reveals that he understood the deeper implications of the death of Jesus and where it would lead, at least in regard to the temple and its ceremonial services.

In other words, while perhaps many Jewish believers of Judean origin were still too attached to the temple and other ceremonial practices (Acts 3:1; 15:1, 5; 21:17-24) and were finding it difficult to abandon them (Gal. 5:2-4, Heb. 5:11-14), Stephen, and perhaps the other Hellenistic believers as well, quickly understood that Jesus’ death signified the end of the entire temple order.

Separated out is "temple" from its "ceremonial services". What is the temple's ceremonial services, or the "entire" temple order? What I'm getting to more specifically is some say the temple "sacrifices" are no longer, but everything else still holds. Like they did in Stephen's day. So where's concrete reference that services and order refer to more than sacrifices and what they would be? Similarly, or differently, what is the "law of Moses" that those of the time referred to?

That's a very interesting observation and question. The Law of Moses is the Pentateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy). We know this because:
  1. Jesus differentiated it from the rest of scripture, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me." Luke 24:44; and

2. Luke spoke of it in this way when he wrote, at the end of Acts, about Paul's ministry in Rome, "So when they had appointed him a day, many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening." Acts 28:23
The Law of Moses defined the culture and identity of Israel as a nation under God. We do not share their experience. Our history is not one of slavery, freedom, a promised land on earth, and the hope of God living in a house with us --- rather, we came from out of Israel, a Church of many nations under God, rejected by the Jews, celebrating the sacrifice made for our redemption, the penalty paid for the curse imposed upon us from the very beginning in the days of Adam the father all, with the hope and joy of everlasting life at the Second Advent, and a place for us in heaven, back to Eden as it were.

For us, "the kingdom of God is not [defined by any one culture]1, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men." Rom. 14:17-18

-------------------

1 Rom. 14:14: "I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean." A rather radical interpretation of what was written in the Law of Moses for Israel!

///

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: kland] #187102
07/24/18 08:37 PM
07/24/18 08:37 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Must have been god. Made them all very afraid.
Acts 5:11 And great fear came on all the church, and on as many as heard these things.

The lesson said they were "punished". While they sure didn't do that again, not sure what the lesson's definition of punishment was.
Let the Testimonies speak...

Man is so corrupt that laws are made to throw the responsibility upon his own head. Some men do not fear to lie to their fellow man; but they have been taught, and the restraining Spirit of God has impressed them, that it is a fearful thing to lie to God. The case of Ananias and Sapphira his wife is given for an example. The matter is carried from man to God, so that if one bears false witness, it is not to man, but to the great God, who reads the heart, and knows the exact truth in every case. Our laws make it a high crime to take a false oath. God has often visited judgment upon the false swearer, and even while the oath was on his lips, the destroying angel has cut him down. This was to prove a terror to evildoers. {1T 202.2}

With these words of light and truth before them, how dare men neglect so plain a duty? How dare they disobey God when obedience to His requirements means His blessing in both temporal and spiritual things, and disobedience means the curse of God? Satan is the destroyer. God cannot bless those who refuse to be faithful stewards. All He can do is to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work. We see calamities of every kind and in every degree coming upon the earth, and why? The Lord's restraining power is not exercised. The world has disregarded the word of God. They live as though there were no God. Like the inhabitants of the Noachic world, they refuse to have any thought of God. Wickedness prevails to an alarming extent, and the earth is ripe for the harvest. {6T 388.3}

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187153
08/03/18 10:40 PM
08/03/18 10:40 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Thursday - Return to Jerusalem

Quote:
In Jerusalem, Paul tried to join the apostles. Though by that time he had already been a Christian for three years, the news of his conversion sounded so incredible that the apostles, like Ananias before them, were rather skeptical. They feared it was just part of a carefully elaborated plot. It was Barnabas, a Levite from Cyprus (Acts 4:36, 37), thus a Hellenist, who broke the apostles’ resistance and introduced Paul to them. They, too, must have marveled at what God had done to Paul; that is, once they realized that he was genuine.
Is it Goldstein always so wrong or am I misunderstanding something?

According to Galatians, after the 3 years, Paul only saw Peter and James. After the 14 year, Barnabas took Paul to the others.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187160
08/04/18 02:04 AM
08/04/18 02:04 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
EGW in "Acts of the Apostles"
"After his escape from Damascus, Paul went to Jerusalem, about three years having passed since his conversion. His chief object in making this visit, as he himself declared afterward, was "to see Peter." Galatians 1:18. Upon arriving in the city where he had once been well known as "Saul the persecutor," "he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple." It was difficult for them to believe that so bigoted a Pharisee, and one who had done so much to destroy the church, could become a sincere follower of Jesus. "But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus."

Upon hearing this, the disciples received him as one of their number. Soon they had abundant evidence as to the genuineness of his Christian experience.

The future apostle to the Gentiles was now in the city where many of his former associates lived, and to these Jewish leaders he longed to make plain the prophecies concerning the Messiah, which had been fulfilled by the advent of the Saviour. Paul felt sure that these teachers in Israel, with whom he had once been so well acquainted, were as sincere and honest as he had been. But he had miscalculated the spirit of his Jewish brethren, and in the hope of their speedy conversion he was doomed to bitter disappointment. Although "he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians," those who stood at the head of the Jewish church refused to believe, but "went about to slay him." Sorrow filled his heart. He would willingly have yielded up his life if by that means he might bring some to a knowledge of the truth. With shame he thought of the active part he had taken in the martyrdom of Stephen, and now in his anxiety to wipe out the stain resting upon one so falsely accused, he sought to vindicate the truth for which Stephen had given his life.

Burdened in behalf of those who refused to believe, Paul was praying in the temple, as he himself afterward testified, when he fell into a trance; whereupon a heavenly messenger appeared before him and said, "Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning Me." Acts 22:18. {AA 128-130}

The Biblical account in Acts chapter nine also fits with the above account. It may well be we don't fully understand what Paul meant in Gal. 2 if we see a contradiction.

It's quite possible that when Barnabas vouched for the genuine conversion of Paul, he did this to have him accepted by Peter and James. In using the term "apostles" in Acts 9:27, Luke was likely to have used the word in a general sense with Barnabas only bringing Paul to a couple of the leading apostles, not to the whole group. Peter and James probably told the rest that Paul's conversion was genuine and they accepted their word, without Paul actually dialoguing with the whole group.
Apparently, however, the followers of Christ were no longer afraid of Saul during that first visit, for Luke, in Acts 9 describes the visit such as Paul going in and out among the disciples (Acts 9:28).

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187247
08/13/18 04:33 PM
08/13/18 04:33 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The SDA commentary says, of course it matches with Acts 9. Doesn't seem like it to me, but guess others are ok with it.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187248
08/13/18 04:38 PM
08/13/18 04:38 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Acts 12:23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

Acts 13:19 And when he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Chanaan, he divided their land to them by lot.

21 And afterward they desired a king: and God gave to them Saul the son of Cis, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, by the space of forty years. 22 And when he had removed him,

We know God didn't kill Saul because the Bible specifically tells us how Saul was killed. So could there be a possibility the same thing holds true in other cases where it says God is doing a direct thing? Not saying the Bible contradicts itself, but that our ideas we give meaning to it contradicts the Bible.

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187275
08/15/18 09:37 PM
08/15/18 09:37 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Sunday's: A period of intercessory prayer and fasting preceded the departure of the missionaries; in this context, the laying on of hands was basically an act of consecration, or a commendation to God’s grace (Acts 14:26) for the task at hand.

Acts 14:
21 - preached gospel, taught many
22 - confirmed souls, exhorting to continue in faith
Ac 14:23 So when they had appointed elders in every church, and prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

What does "them" modify? Is it "they", Paul and Barnabus, or is it elders and disciples in every church?
I say the elders and disciples.

So
Ac 14:26 From there they sailed to Antioch, where they had been commended to the grace of God for the work which they had completed.

is "they" still the elders, disciples, and members of the church in Antioch?

Or is it both the elders, disciples, and members were "commended" before, and also Paul and Barnabus which was spoken of now in v. 26?

Reply Quote
Re: 3rd Quarter 2018 The Book of Acts [Re: dedication] #187345
08/23/18 04:13 PM
08/23/18 04:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Sabbath's: After more than two years, Paul and Barnabas returned to Syrian Antioch. Because the whole church there had been involved in sending them out as missionaries, it was natural that they would give a report to the church. The report’s emphasis, however, was not what they had accomplished but on what God Himself had done through them.

Can someone show me how the two years were counted?

And does anyone have a time-frame of when the Holy Spirit descended upon Cornelius and company? Most specifically, is there indication that it wasn't during the Jewish Pentecost time?

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!