HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,636
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,466 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Smiling in Church #18876
10/03/00 10:36 PM
10/03/00 10:36 PM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
This gem from the late Erma Bombeck appeared in the latest issue of Connections, the Michigan Women’s Ministries newsletter.

In church the other day, I was intent on a small child who was turning around smiling at everyone. He wasn’t gurgling, spitting, humming, kicking, tearing the hymnals, or rummaging through his mother’s handbag. He was just smiling.

Finally, his mother jerked him about and in a stage whisper that could be heard in a little theater off Broadway said, “Stop that grinning! You’re in church!” With that, she gave him a belt on his hind-side and as the tears rolled down his cheeks said, “That’s better,” and returned to her prayers.

What must they think, these children of the 90’s? We sing, “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord,” while our faces reflect the sadness of one who has just buried a rich aunt who left everything to her pregnant hamster. We chant, “If I have not charity, I am become a sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.” Translated in the parking lot it comes out, “And the same to you, fella!”

Suddenly I was angry. It occurred to me that the entire world is in tears, and if you’re3 not, then you’d better get with it. I wanted to grad this child with the tear-stained face close to me and tell him about my God. The happy God. The smiling God. The God who had to have a sense of humor to have created the likes of us.

I wanted to tell him he is an understanding God who understands little children who kick the pews in church because they are bored. He understands the man in the parking lot who reads the comics while his wife is attending church. He even understands my shallow prayers that implore, “If you can’t make me thin, then make my friends look fat.”

I wanted to tell him I’ve taken a few lumps in my time for daring to smile at religion. By tradition, one wears faith with the solemnity of a mourner, the gravity of a mask of tragedy, and the dedication of a Rotary badge.

What a fool, I thought. Here was a woman sitting next to the only light left to our civilization… the only hope, our only miracle… our only promise of infinity. If he couldn’t smile in church, where was there left to go?

I was reminded of a story of a stranger who went into a church one day that was not his own. He mingled about with the parishioners patting them on the back, talking loudly, and laughing in a gesture of friendship. The parishioners were shocked at his familiarity and horrified at his “lack of respect” for a place of worship. He was asked to leave. On the doorstep, he was approached by God who said, “Cheer up fella, I’ve been trying to get into that church for years.”

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Smiling in Church #18877
10/04/00 11:48 AM
10/04/00 11:48 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Yup, been thereand done that.

I often thought a lot of the parishoners had eaten a very sour pickle before coming to church.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: Smiling in Church #18878
10/04/00 12:48 PM
10/04/00 12:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunatly a mean heart is far more sour than the best garlic dill.

The pickle is welcome when it's sour, not much else to say.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Smiling in Church #18879
10/14/00 03:18 AM
10/14/00 03:18 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
That is funny sad and true all rolled into one!

Re: Smiling in Church #18880
10/14/00 11:23 AM
10/14/00 11:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Garlic is a middle Eastern breath freshner(much loved by me-to my wife's constirnation.)

Sour pickles are good on sanwiches.

But smiles given from kindness and the like are good everywhere, and need no translation between language barriers. Often they sucessfully bridge many barriers indeed.

God the Father smiles, Jesus the Son smiles, The Holy Spirit smiles. They don't do it because the garlic is strong, or the pickles are sour. They smile for loving kind noble and sympathetic reasons.

Even a little child can imitate them by smiling for the same reasons. If we are so pious that we can't do the same for the same reasons, our religion that has no sympathies of noble loving kindness ought not be taught to children or anyone else.

God's rating system is G for general audiences, G for good and kind, G for generous with it's love and concern for all it tries to reach, G for gushing over in help and blessing in a fountain of the simplicity characterized by kindhearted innocent little children.

Satan's rating system is X-treem carried to what ever it can go to bring into disrepute God's simple G rating. Continual gloom & doom as doctrine is not so presented by Inspiration.

So indulge in the sympathies of kindness,nobility of purpose, kindness, sympathy and joy ---- and whether your teeth are your originals or from K-Mart - SMILE from a heart filled with the G rated sentiments of the Godhead and you will light the corner where you are and God will be glorified.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Smiling in Church #18881
10/15/00 12:17 AM
10/15/00 12:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've said this before:

"The laughter of a child makes a church even more reverent."

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Re: Smiling in Church #18882
10/16/00 12:29 PM
10/16/00 12:29 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
As a member of a church with a mediann age of 55, a small child is the center of attention when they come in here.
If a parent slapped them fopr smiling at every one, the 'Geritol' brigade would have something to say to them.

Jesus said 'suffer the little children to come unto Me', but, Idon't think He had this in mind when He said it.
Gerry B.

Re: Smiling in Church #18883
10/17/00 03:41 AM
10/17/00 03:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's strange how chruches who say they believe the same things can have such different characters. It doesn't seem to depend on age, either.

We have 3 children. Often older people will start gushing about their own grandchildren--sometimes bringing them to church to socialize with our kids.

Then there are others...

Every Sabbath I have to preach and it's up to my wife to look after our children--sometimes even to look after other "playmates."

I have fielded a complaint or two from people who are upset at my children not being completely "settled down" during the divine service.

Well, if I was there with my wife, helping out, rather than preaching...

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Re: Smiling in Church #18884
10/16/00 11:43 PM
10/16/00 11:43 PM
C
Catherine  Offline OP
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I grew up in a church that had a very formal atmosphere - not Adventist. There was no children's story, or anything during the church service aimed at children. We had to sit still and be quiet. If I dropped my bulletin on the floor, I couldn't even pick it up. And we did not take along crayons, busy books, or anything else. Needless to say, my siblings and I hated church with a passion.

As soon as we were old enough that our mother let us choose for ourselves whether we would go or not, all of us immediately quit going. To this day, my brother and one sister hate church and anything having to do with it, and will never set foot inside a church, except for a wedding or funeral. I was pleased upon joining the SDA church to find that parents brought along things to keep their children amused.

I have been "guilty" more than once of winking and making faces at little children who were peeking over the back of a pew at me, sometimes causing behavior that their parents didn't quite appreciate.
------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited October 16, 2000).]

Re: Smiling in Church #18885
10/17/00 12:39 PM
10/17/00 12:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's an idea.

Pastor A. pick a child in your mind (one that trusts you & is old enough to talk & likes crowds - a "ham'.)

Preach on how God loves His children and wants to get closer to them.

Wear a lapel mike & have a hand held one, while preaching start strolling and go pick up a kid & carry them in your arms up to the pulpit. Looking out at all the people pointing to them tell the child how much God loves these people. They are His children & He is their Heavenly Daddy. They have all been little once & God loves them even more now than then.

Build a guestion & answer session with the child & have the mamma come up & hold this one and bring the brothers and sisters. Talk with each on like you think Jesus did.

Go get more till the pulpit area is too full & go down near the front pews. Develop the service into a blessing/child/parent/grandparent dedication -teaching service.

Read to them from Desire of Ages how children fell asleep with Jesus holding them while he taught the older kids & their parents/grandparents after blessing them.

Hold an agape feast after the service, with a testimony meeting - of thankfulness - for children, youth, adults, members-candidates & visitors alike.

Don't forwarn anyone & the few needed to set this up & pull it off are sworn to no see, no tell, no hear. Not even the kids & parents taken to the pulpit - no letting anyone in on the impromptu suprise.

Bring cut flowers & hide inside pulpit. Give to kids to enjoy & flowerseed packets for their taking home. The lillies & flowers of the field tell of His parables then and children picking them in Heaven and the Earth made new. But children won't go by accident. Dedicated family members must lead and carry them with them. You can only lead & carry something where YOU are going - even when the bundle is more precious than gold. Have a toddler behind the pulpit loosely wrapped in a metallic gold colored cloth that fully hides the child. Then as you say - "only carry something where YOU are going" - lift the bundle with nothing showing but the gold cloth. When you say "bundle is more precious than gold" unwrap the head & sholders of the child and whisper "smile & wave to the people."

Dispercial of the kids is easy tell the mammas they can take the kids down with you to have the mammas & kids & you shake hands with every one as they exit the sanctuary.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F. Sutton (edited October 17, 2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!