HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The History of Halloween #18901
10/16/00 07:46 PM
10/16/00 07:46 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Ten years ago I had enrolled my children in a SDA church school but was appalled when they celebrated halloween. I started doing research then and I wasn't any too quiet about my dismay that they would encourage such pagan rituals. I have put this brief history here, as I know there are people who do not understand what it means and its origin. Some of this information was gleaned not from Christians, but from those who are practicing pagans. Often these people are amused and/or cynical that Christians celebrate a holiday that is in no way, shape, or form, Christian. Some of the information was gleaned from Catholic sources who admit that halloween is not a Christian holiday, but try to separate All Saints day from halloween and call it Christian.

The History of Halloween

This holiday comes from truly pagan origins. October 31, called Samhain (pronounced sow-ween) was the last day of the year for the celtic peoples of Europe. Samhain (Scots Gaelic: Samhuinn) literally means "summer's end." It was also the end of summer, the beginning of winter. It was believed that on this day the spirits of those who had died during the last year came back haunting the land in search of living bodies they could possess. To keep the spirits away, all fires in the home were put out, and great bonfires were lighted outdoors. These bonfires were considered holy fire and the home fires were relit from the bonfire. To try and trick the spirits and avoid possession, people dressed up in ghoulish costumes and paraded around. Also involved in these rituals was the practice of human sacrifice. It is believed that those who were thought to be possessed were burned along with animals.

November 1 was the day to honor the dead. Because the Celts (sometimes referred to as Druids– however the Druids were the priest class of the Celts.) Began their days at sundown, their celebrations started at dark on the last day of October. When the Romans invaded Brittan, the combined the holiday with one of their own. The human sacrifices stopped and effigies were burned instead. The name halloween comes from "All Hallow's even." This was the beginning of the season of death, the sun was seen less and rituals were performed to encourage the sun to not go out completely. In Ireland the festival was known as Samhein, or La Samon, the Feast of the Sun.

It was also believed that at this time the veil between the living world and the spirit world was the thinnest and this was a time of divination, of seeking communication with the dead. Besides sacrifices to the dead, prayers were also offered to them and oblations were made to them. In the 7th century, Pope Boniface IV introduced All Saints' Day to replace the pagan festival of the dead. It was observed on May 13. In 834, Gregory III changed the date to November 1 and made it a feast for all the church. It is still celebrated, no only by the Catholic and Orthodox churches, but by pagans as well. It is one of the high days of witchcraft, today called wicca.

During the potato famine in Ireland, many Irish fled to America and brought with them their customs surrounding Samhain and they were incorproated into our modern version of halloween. Such things as apple bobbing were involved in divination. Possibly to learn who your true love would be, or it may have been a pagan rite of "baptism" in which the novice's head was immersed in water while they were blindfolded and their hands tied behind their backs. To ward off evil spirits, turnips had been hollowed out and a candle placed inside. In America turnips were few, but pumpkins were plentiful, and they were substituted instead. The scary face carved in it-scar off the spirits, of course. In Ireland, it was common for youth to go from door to door asking people to contribute to their Halloween party. They were given fruits and nuts. This apparently is at least partly responsible for the tradition of Trick-or-treating.

------------------

Re: The History of Halloween #18902
10/20/00 04:50 PM
10/20/00 04:50 PM
G
gypsyklb  Offline
Posting New Member
?
Those who 'celebrate' halloween, celebrate death and it's creator, Satan.
Oh, but the kids are so-oo-oo cute, you hear so called christians say. "It's fun and innocent, not scary stuff."

Horse radish.

I was raised SDA, but my parents did not stop to think, they got caught up in the hype and raised me in that environment.
Satan has a whole bag of tricks and he aims many at the weakest point-children. Praise the Lord, mom/dad, that your eyes have been opened.

It is in the church though. Many sweet souls use to ask my children, "What is Santa going to bring you for Christmas?" My grdaughter was told by her stepfather, "If you don't believe in Santa, you won't get ANY presents." A very brave 4 year old child replied, "I don't care, Grandma and Papa will give me a couple gifts. They are real and they love me."

God has many gifts waiting just for us. We must be faithful in ALL things until the end.

Re: The History of Halloween #18903
10/20/00 09:29 PM
10/20/00 09:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Horse radish? I like that one. I agree completely. I admit to always enjoying the dressing up in costumes part of halloween, but my husband and I have agreed that we will not participate this year or in any following year. I guess I'll just have to find another excuse to throw a costume party!

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: The History of Halloween #18904
10/20/00 10:50 PM
10/20/00 10:50 PM
G
gypsyklb  Offline
Posting New Member
?
I see nothing wrong with dressing up. Just not at the time that everyone else is.

As a child, a young lady invited her classmates to a 'Hardy Time Party.' I had fun. It was held in January when snow covered the ground 4 feet. It lifted the dreary gloom right off the map.

To dress up in Country & Western getup (unless you normally wear those duds) is fun.

To dress up as an historical figure is a real challenge and our homeschool support group turned it into a great social event.
I researched the woman who wrote "Mary had a Little Lamb" She was a very interesting person and contemporary, if I remember correctly of Abe Lincoln, so when it came time to give my presentation, guess who I followed. This happened several years back and while the memories of detail have crepted away, the warm feelings have lingered.

Then there are Disciple Parties. You dress and interact strictly as your Biblical Hero.
Others will have a blast trying to guess who you are.

Re: The History of Halloween #18905
10/21/00 03:25 AM
10/21/00 03:25 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
Just because a day was celebrated in a wrong way at one point in time, does this mean it still means that today? Note: I was raised NOT to believe in Saint Claus, easter bunnies, halloween, etc, and I still don't, but is it a principle?

Re: The History of Halloween #18906
10/21/00 12:53 PM
10/21/00 12:53 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Just because a day was celebrated in a wrong way at one point in time, does this mean it still means that today?

The following paragraphs come from The EIGHT SABBATS OF WITCHCRAFT by Mike Nichols, a modern pagan.

quote:
To Witches, Halloween is one of the four High Holidays, or Greater Sabbats, or cross-quarter days. Because it is the most important holiday of the year, it is sometimes called 'THE Great Sabbat.' It is an ironic fact that the newer, self-created Covens tend to use the older name of the holiday, Samhain, which they have discovered through modern research. While the older hereditary and traditional Covens often use the newer name, Halloween, which has been handed down through oral tradition within their Coven. (This is often holds true for the names of the other holidays, as well. One may often get an indication of a Coven's antiquity by noting what names it uses for the holidays.)

With such an important holiday, Witches often hold two distinct celebrations. First, a large Halloween party for non-Craft friends, often held on the previous weekend. And second, a Coven ritual held on Halloween night itself, late enough so as not to be interrupted by trick-or-treaters. If the rituals are performed properly, there is often the feeling of invisible friends taking part in the rites. Another date which may be utilized in planning celebrations is the actual cross-quarter day, or Old Halloween, or Halloween O.S. (Old Style). This occurs when the sun has reached 15 degrees Scorpio, an astrological 'power point' symbolized by the Eagle. This year (1988), the date is November 6th at 10:55 pm CST, with the celebration beginning at sunset. Interestingly, this date (Old Halloween) was also appropriated by the Church as the holiday of Martinmas.

Of all the Witchcraft holidays, Halloween is the only one that still boasts anything near to popular celebration. Even though it is typically relegated to children (and the young-at-heart) and observed as an evening affair only, many of its traditions are firmly rooted in Paganism. Interestingly, some schools have recently attempted to abolish Halloween parties on the grounds that it violates the separation of state and religion. Speaking as a Pagan, I would be saddened by the success of this move, but as a supporter of the concept of religion-free public education, I fear I must concede the point. Nonetheless, it seems only right that there SHOULD be one night of the year when our minds are turned toward thoughts of the supernatural. A night when both Pagans and non-Pagans may ponder the mysteries of the Otherworld and its inhabitants. And if you are one of them, may all your jack-o'lanterns burn bright on this All Hallow's Eve.

I leave it to you--does it still mean the same? Don't forget what the Bible says:
quote:
Deuteronomy 18:9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.
14 For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.

2 Corinthians 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? . . .
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

------------------

Re: The History of Halloween #18907
10/21/00 08:12 PM
10/21/00 08:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you think Halloween is bad, you should really read up on Mother's Day.

A secular newspaper in Sudbury revealed the truth--It was originally meant to honor the Earth Mother/Isis/Ishtar/Mary in order to worship the goddess.

There is an innocent story about a woman from the US choosing a Sunday (?!) to celebrate it on.

As far as Halloween is concerned, what can we do about it? When I went to school in England I found out that hardly anyone participated.

Our Halloween traditions actually were brought to the New World by Irish immigrants and seem to have "taken off" only here in North America.

At least we don't have the anti-Catholic Guy Fawkes Night where our church school actually burned an effigy of this historical figure near the gymnasium.

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Re: The History of Halloween #18908
10/22/00 03:45 AM
10/22/00 03:45 AM
G
gypsyklb  Offline
Posting New Member
?
Avoid all appearances of evil.

In a twisted way, I must be fortunate that I did not have the ideal mother. Thoughout my childhood, I felt as if I could draw her the most perfect picture or wash the dishes faster and cleaner than any other 9 year old, perhaps then, she would love me. I did have a great dad(and still do) which took the edge off the misery.

One thing that just sort of came about happened when our children were young. On Mother's day,mom (thanks in part to Dad) would get up and make breakfast of favorite foods, then we would go out fishing in the bay. On Father's day, dad (thanks in part to mom) got up and prepared breakfast and then we would go to the lake and enjoy a great picnic and swim. We were even able to fit a day at the flea market into the morning most years. The practice has continued for nearly 30 years in part because of the grand-daughter we're are raising. Some years, the children have made cards for both of us and other years they came up with some other interesting alternative gifts. But our children know they are loved without excuses and we are grateful Our gracious Father gave them to us. We have merely utilized the day as a day of family get-to-gether because the whole week is just normally so packed that we have to keep calenders so there are no conflicts.

How sweet it is to trust in Jesus.
klb

[This message has been edited by gypsyklb (edited October 22, 2000).]

Re: The History of Halloween #18909
10/23/00 01:09 AM
10/23/00 01:09 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think there is an educational aspect and process that we need to present to our church members as we have a tendency to be ignorant of many things to the delight of Satan.

I just returned from a Social Committee meeting this morning. One item of discussion was what should we do about Halloween Night?

After much discussion and warnings about Halloween Night itself on my part particularly as a result of what I have read in this thread, it was still decided by this committee to have a can collection night and gather canned food for our food bank from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. No costumes would be worn. If offered, it was OK to accept candy.
Refreshments would be provided at the church after the can collecting was done.

What I am saying here is that we need to educate our people about the history of Halloween so a more educated decision can be made regarding next year's Halloween Night activity. I am, therefore, very interested that we do exhaustive research on the history of Halloween Night from as far back as we can go to the present day.

We need to do this prayerfully.

Daryl

Re: The History of Halloween #18910
10/23/00 01:10 AM
10/23/00 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point. Is it worse to celebrate a day of "good" that has pagan origins (Mithratic Christmas and Ishtar/Ferility-cult inspired Easter) or days that have from the beginning had evil connotations (Halloween?)

So far the only totally safe holiday with a selfless Christian origin that I've found is Valentines Day. St. Valentine certainly lived up to his name.

Unfortunately, like a cowbird's egg in a good nest, someone came and put cupid into that day's traditions.

------------------
As the Happy Moments Roll,

Pastor Andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!