HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19391
03/25/01 03:44 AM
03/25/01 03:44 AM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
quote:
John 20:22,
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the
Holy Ghost.

I believe in Jesus, so I guess I'm filled with the Holy Ghost -- But I don't "feel" Him or His presence.

In your opinion, what does it mean to be filled with the Holy Ghost?

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19392
03/25/01 10:23 AM
03/25/01 10:23 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Acts 5:
32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

(But what internally & externally does God want you to obey?)

Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isa. 57:15. {DA 179.5}

The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30. To Him it is declared, "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." Heb. 1:9. The Father "giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." {DA 180.1}

So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Col. 2:9, 10, R. V. {DA 181.1}
God does not ask us to do in our own strength the work before us. He has provided divine assistance for all the emergencies to which our human resources are unequal. He gives the Holy Spirit to help in every strait, to strengthen our hope and assurance, to illuminate our minds and purify our hearts.--Southern Watchman, Aug. 1, 1905. {ChS 253.4}

After the descent of the Holy Spirit, the disciples were so filled with love for Him [Christ] and for those for whom He died, that hearts were melted by the words they spoke and the prayers they offered. They spoke in the power of the Spirit; and under the influence of that power, thousands were converted.--The Acts of the Apostles, p. 22. {ChS 254.1}

There is no limit to the usefulness of the one who, putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God.--Southern Watchman, Aug. 1, 1905. {ChS 254.2}

He who loves Christ the most will do the greatest amount of good. There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, by putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart, and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. If men will endure the necessary discipline, without complaining or fainting by the way, God will teach them hour by hour, and day by day. He longs to reveal His grace. If His people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through the human channels. If men in humble life were encouraged to do all the good they could do, if restraining hands were not laid upon them to repress their zeal, there would be a hundred workers for Christ where now there is one. {DA 250.4}

God takes men as they are, and educates them for His service, if they will yield themselves to Him. The Spirit of God, received into the soul, will quicken all its faculties. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the mind that is devoted unreservedly to God develops harmoniously, and is strengthened to comprehend and fulfill the requirements of God. The weak, vacillating character becomes changed to one of strength and steadfastness. Continual devotion establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that the Christian becomes like Him in mind and character. Through a connection with Christ he will have clearer and broader views. His discernment will be more penetrative, his judgment better balanced. He who longs to be of service to Christ is so quickened by the life-giving power of the Sun of Righteousness that he is enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God. {DA 251.1}

God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth. 2 Thess. 2:13. {AG 208.1}

In this text the two agencies in the work of salvation are revealed--the divine influence, and the strong, living faith of those who follow Christ. It is through the sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth that we become laborers together with God. Christ waits for the cooperation of His church. . . . The blood of Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the divine Word, are ours. The object of all this provision of heaven is before us--the salvation of the souls for whom Christ died; and it depends upon us to lay hold on the promises God has given, and become laborers together with Him. Divine and human agencies must cooperate in the work. . . . {AG 208.2}

Christ crucified for our sins; Christ risen from the dead; Christ ascended on high as our intercessor--this is the science of salvation that we need to learn and to teach. {AG 208.3}

It is God's purpose that His people shall be a sanctified, purified, holy people, communicating light to all around them. It is His purpose that, by exemplifying the truth in their lives, they shall be a praise in the earth. The grace of Christ is sufficient to bring this about. {AG 208.4}

There is no limit to the usefulness of one who, putting self aside, makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon his heart and lives a life wholly consecrated to God. All who consecrate body, soul, and spirit to His service will be constantly receiving a new endowment of physical, mental, and spiritual power. The inexhaustible supplies of heaven are at their command. Christ gives them the breath of His own Spirit, the life of His own life. The Holy Spirit puts forth its highest energies to work in mind and heart. Through the grace given us we may achieve victories that because of our own erroneous and preconceived opinions, our defects of character, our smallness of faith, have seemed impossible. {AG 208.5}

To everyone who offers himself to the Lord for service, withholding nothing, is given power for the attainment of measureless results. {AG 208.6}

Chap. 201 - More Than Mortal Power

When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him. Isa. 59:19. {AG 209.1}

God has provided divine assistance for all the emergencies to which our human resources are unequal. He gives the Holy Spirit to help in every strait, to strengthen our hope and assurance, to illuminate our minds and purify our hearts. {AG 209.2}

Your part is to put your will on the side of Christ. When you yield your will to His, He immediately takes possession of you, and works in you to will and to do of His good pleasure. Your nature is brought under the control of His Spirit. Even your thoughts are subject to Him. If you cannot control your impulses, your emotions, as you may desire, you can control the will, and thus an entire change will be wrought in your life. When you yield up your will to Christ, your life is hid with Christ in God. It is allied to the power which is above all principalities and powers. You have a strength from God that holds you fast to His strength; and a new life, even the life of faith, is possible to you. {AG 209.3}

You can never be successful in elevating yourself, unless your will is on the side of Christ, cooperating with the Spirit of God. Do not feel that you cannot; but say, "I can, I will." And God has pledged His Holy Spirit to help you in every decided effort. {AG 209.4}

The lifework given us is that of preparation for the life eternal. If we accomplish this work as God designs we shall, every temptation may work for our advancement; for as we resist its allurements, we make progress in the divine life. In the heat of the conflict, unseen agencies will be by our side, commanded of heaven to aid us in our wrestlings; and in the crisis, strength and firmness and energy will be imparted to us, and we shall have more than mortal power. . . . {AG 209.5}

Those who would be conquerors must engage in conflict with unseen agencies. . . . The Holy Spirit is ever at work, seeking to purify, refine, and discipline the souls of men, in order that they may become fitted for the society of saints and angels. {AG 209.6}

Chap. 202 - Brings Harmony

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. John 17:20, 21. {AG 210.1}

After the descent of the Holy Spirit the disciples went forth to proclaim a risen Saviour, their one desire the salvation of souls. They rejoiced in the sweetness of the communion with saints. They were tender, thoughtful, self-denying, willing to make any sacrifice for the truth's sake. In their daily association with one another they revealed the love that Christ had commanded them to reveal. . . . {AG 210.2}

Harmony and union existing among men of varied dispositions is the strongest witness that can be borne that God has sent His Son into the world to save sinners. It is our privilege to bear this witness. But, in order to do this, we must place ourselves under Christ's command. Our characters must be molded in harmony with His character, our wills must be surrendered to His will. {AG 210.3}

We are of the same faith, members of one family, all children of the same heavenly Father, with the same blessed hope of immortality. How close and tender should be the tie that binds us together. The people of the world are watching us to see if our faith is exerting a sanctifying influence upon our hearts. They are quick to discern every defect in our lives, every inconsistency in our actions. Let us give them no occasion to reproach our faith. . . . {AG 210.4}

Little differences dwelt upon lead to actions that destroy Christian fellowship. Let us not allow the enemy thus to gain the advantage over us. Let us keep drawing nearer to God and to one another. . . . The heart of the Saviour is set upon His followers' fulfilling God's purpose in all its height and depth. They are to be one in Him, even though they are scattered the world over. . . . When Christ's prayer is fully believed, . . . unity of action will be seen in our ranks. Brother will be bound to brother by the golden bonds of the love of Christ. The Spirit of God alone can bring about this oneness. He who sanctified Himself can sanctify His disciples. United with Him, they will be united with one another in the most holy faith. {AG 210.5}

There is too much for these few quotes to tell, the Thhird Person of The GodHead can not be done justice in all that mankind could write. He must be experienced and represent Jesus within through Himself. That requires using the Bible's appointed preperations to receive Him daily.

Then when the times of refreshing are fully come all who have been trained by Him daily will be made ready to receive Him then. As He pours Himself in the maximum they can possibly in this life hold before receiving the new body at the Second Coming.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited March 25, 2001).]

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19393
03/25/01 12:26 PM
03/25/01 12:26 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Your question needs more than a pat answer.

An experienced elder once related to me how he could see the Holy Spirit working in a congregation while he preached. I told him that I preach the sermon--and that's it. How could he discern the working of the Spirit? "Oh," he said, "you'll know."

At the age of 37 I've finally recieved some idea of what it means to be filled with the Holy Ghost.

For one thing, He's a Person. You either have the Holy Spirit or you don't. I don't like attempts at de-personalizing Him, like praying for "more of the Spirit" or a "double portion" (as if He come off in sections).

The Spirit's activity tends to be like the wind--as Jesus said in John 3. You can tell that He's there by action that is done (like the rustling of leaves due to the wind). For instance, I pray that I receive a "hunger for God's word" and presto! Portions of the Scripture that seemed dry to me all of a sudden are juicy fruit. Now, as with God, you can't order the Spirit around, but He knows what you need--even before you ask.

Good ways to be "filled with the Spirit" are to pray for Him or read God's Word with an open heart.

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

[This message has been edited by Andrew Marttinen (edited March 25, 2001).]

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19394
03/26/01 04:08 AM
03/26/01 04:08 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
From my own experience, I have to say Jesus meant exactly what He said when He said that the Spirit is like the wind, which you cannot tell where it comes from or where it goes, but you can see what it does. That is exactly how it is with the Holy Spirit, and I never understood it until I was finally born again myself.

I cannot tell anyone how to be born again, or explain quite how it happened to me, but I know that it has happened, I know the (huge) difference it has made in my own life, and upon getting well acquainted with other Christians, it is often obvious to me if it has happened to them, which it never was before. And I know what I did that opened the way for God to begin His work in me.

God does speak directly to me at times, though I do not hear an audible voice. Rather, it seems like only my own thoughts, but is quite obviously not my own thoughts, because it is often quite contrary to anything I would voluntarily think on my own. I have learned through the years to recognize God's voice, and to tell the difference between His and Satan's, who also speaks in the same way - in my thought. But the thoughts Satan ispires are very different than God's.

For example, when Satan "convicts" of sin, he brings a feeling of guilt and fear, even after I have confessed the sin, while God, even in the very process of showing me what it is that I need to confess, at the same time gives a feeling of peace that forgiveness is already waiting for me to take hold of, and that it is now past and I can start all over with nothing held against me over that particular incident, ever again.

And when Satan "inspires" me to do some good thing, he always appeals to the wrong motives, and inspires me to do it in ways that appeal to my sinful nature. But when God inspires me to some good work for someone else in His behalf, He always points out to me the selfish motives that must be given up before He can work through me, and forces me to recognize and surrender my own ideas of how to accomplish it. Only then can I be ready to be used by Him to bless someone else.

I don't always feel God's presence. In fact, most of the time I don't "feel" anything. But that doesn't mean that He isn't with me. We must learn to ignore feelings, which are unreliable, and to just rest in His promises, and in the knowledge of all He has done for us and through us in the past, and believe that He is not going to leave us, but will stay with us and finish the work He has started in us. (See Philippians 1:6.)

I'm sure this doesn't totally answer your question. But what has been said here may bring to mind some further questions that will help to direct the discussion into a more specific direction to help you find the answer you are really looking for.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited March 25, 2001).]

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19395
03/25/01 06:09 PM
03/25/01 06:09 PM
M
me again  Offline OP
Posting New Member
USA
Cathy,

Your response is thought provoking! I too have had the Lord speak to me (on rare occasions). When He speaks, I am never expecting to hear His voice and it has always been a surprise to me. But for me, hearing His voice has been a rarity because it has only happened a few times.

On a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis, I generally do not hear His voice. I do not "feel" His presence (although I know that He is here/everywhere).

Some charismatics exhibit tongues or writhing on the floor or running up and down the aisles of the church. I have visited those kinds of churches (in the past). They say that it is a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Well, I have never done those things or exhibited that kind of behavior.

So, when Jesus breathed on His disciples and said, "Receive ye the Holy Ghost," did they feel it? I guess we'll never know because the Bible doesn't tell us.

The best description of the manifestation of the Holy Ghost was pointed out by by Gerry:

quote:
Posted by Gerry Cabalo:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control." Gal 5:22,23.

I had to re-read that one! How much self-control have I demonstrated? I think I'm guilty in this area.

Many blessings.

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19396
04/01/01 03:59 AM
04/01/01 03:59 AM
L
lisa  Offline
gwinn mich U.S.A.
I used to think about the same thing.I found out through many very hard trials in my life. When my husband of 12 years left I felt like the cartoon coyotee that ran off the edge of the cliff and suddenly looked down, and d
o
w
n I went. God caught me though. Because of my observation of others I knew to seek Him out. I came to the place where God is all I had, but I found out God is all I need. The bible tells us to study and read lest the smart be decieved. I know that I Really started understanding and was able to recognize the Holy spirit in my life after studying the Ministry of Healing. It isn't like lightning, It isn't a rush feeling. God does not work on Feelings He works on knowledge. God Bless you lisa

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19397
04/02/01 03:05 AM
04/02/01 03:05 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
My ideas maybe overly simplistic, but my understanding is that if we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we will give evidence of iy in our demeanor, our words and the fruit of our day to day lives.

The word tells us that 'by their fruit ye shall know them...'

Re: Are You Filled with the Holy Spirit? #19398
04/07/01 01:53 PM
04/07/01 01:53 PM
W
Wedntgp  Offline
?
Is the determining factor of being filled with the Holy Spirit feeling good, or "on a high"?

It would appear that the Holy Spirit fills you when you are emptied of self so there is room for Him, (Gospel Workers, p. 287)and that is accomplished not by the work of anyone else, but by heart searching and self examination. (R&H, June 10, 1902)

By the way, if you preach, and have ever preached an effective sermon, you were filled with the Spirit. (Gospel Workers, p. 284).

An interesting writing on the subject is found in The Ellen G. White 1888 Materials, p. 1250

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!