HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
When was the Sabbath first observed? #19431
04/18/01 02:58 PM
04/18/01 02:58 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline OP
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I started this thread in the hopes that we could get a good discussion going here.
I have found some references and want to hear what you have to say about it.
Thanks.

Matthew Henry:
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he
rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God
blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested
from all his work which God created and made.

We have here, I. The settlement of the kingdom of nature, in God's resting from
the work of creation, v. 1, 2. Here observe, 1. The creatures made both in heaven and
earth are the hosts or armies of them, which denotes them to be numerous, but
marshalled, disciplined, and under command. How great is the sum of them! And yet
every one knows and keeps his place. God uses them as his hosts for the defence of
his people and the destruction of his enemies; for he is the Lord of hosts, of all these
hosts, Dan. iv. 35. 2. The heavens and the earth are finished pieces, and so are all the
creatures in them. So perfect is God's work that nothing can be added to it nor taken
from it, Eccl. iii. 14. God that began to build showed himself well able to finish. 3. After
the end of the first six days God ceased from all works of creation. He has so ended
his work as that though, in his providence, he worketh hitherto (John v. 17), preserving
and governing all the creatures, and particularly forming the spirit of man within him, yet
he does not make any new species of creatures. In miracles, he has controlled and
overruled nature, but never changed its settled course, nor repealed nor added to any
of its establishments. 4. The eternal God, though infinitely happy in the enjoyment of
himself, yet took a satisfaction in the work of his own hands. He did not rest, as one
weary, but as one well-pleased with the instances of his own goodness and the
manifestations of his own glory.

II. The commencement of the kingdom of grace, in the sanctification of the sabbath
day, v. 3. He rested on that day, and took a complacency in his creatures, and then
sanctified it, and appointed us, on that day, to rest and take a complacency in the
Creator; and his rest is, in the fourth commandment, made a reason for ours, after six
days' labour. Observe, 1. The solemn observance of one day in seven, as a day of holy
rest and holy work, to God's honour, is the indispensable duty of all those to whom
God has revealed his holy sabbaths. 2. The way of sabbath-sanctification is the good
old way, Jer. vi. 16. Sabbaths are as ancient as the world; and I see no reason to
doubt that the sabbath, being now instituted in innocency, was religiously observed by
the people of God throughout the patriarchal age. 3. The sabbath of the Lord is truly
honourable, and we have reason to honour it--honour it for the sake of its antiquity, its
great Author, the sanctification of the first sabbath by the holy God himself, and by our
first parents in innocency, in obedience to him. 4. The sabbath day is a blessed day,
for God blessed it, and that which he blesses is blessed indeed. God has put an
honour upon it, has appointed us, on that day, to bless him, and has promised, on that
day, to meet us and bless us. 5. The sabbath day is a holy day, for God has sanctified
it. He has separated and distinguished it from the rest of the days of the week, and he
has consecrated it and set it apart to himself and his own service and honour. Though it
is commonly taken for granted that the Christian sabbath we observe, reckoning from
the creation, is not the seventh but the first day of the week, yet being a seventh day,
and we in it, celebrating the rest of God the Son, and the finishing of the work of our
redemption, we may and ought to act faith upon this original institution of the sabbath
day, and to commemorate the work of creation, to the honour of the great Creator,
who is therefore worthy to receive, on that day, blessing, and honour, and praise, from
all religious assemblies.[M.Henry was not a sabbatarian]

Easton's Bible Dictionary:
Text: (Heb. verb shabbath, meaning "to rest from labour"), the day of rest. It is first mentioned as having been instituted in Paradise, when man was in innocence (Gen. 2:2). "The Sabbath was made for man," as a day of rest and refreshment for the body and of blessing to the soul. It is next referred to in connection with the gift of manna to the children of Israel in the wilderness (Ex. 16:23); and afterwards, when the law was given from Sinai (20:11), the people were solemnly charged to "remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." Thus it is spoken of as an institution already existing.

The Sabbath commandment identifies God as creator (Exodus 20:11) it also restates that He rested onn the seventh day and blessed it and hallowed it (made it Holy)
A direct quote from Gen.2:2-3.
Verse 10 says that all were to observe it, men and women and children, servants and visitors.

God asks us to calll the Sabbath a delight
Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited April 19, 2001).]

Re: When was the Sabbath first observed? #19432
04/18/01 08:07 PM
04/18/01 08:07 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
Is the question you want answered what's written on the topic bar?

One observation: During a deep study that's from my Seminary days, I remember a professor saying "doing thy pleasure" is best transated "getting ahead in business" (working for a profit?) That's something we rest from on Sabbath.

As far as the first Sabbath is concerned, EGW writes extensively about its origins (along with marriage) in Eden.

------------------
Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful. Rom. 12:12 NLT

Re: When was the Sabbath first observed? #19433
04/19/01 01:03 PM
04/19/01 01:03 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline OP
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Sorry, I forgot I had added other things to the post.
I originally put it together for anmother forum I'm involved with.
I edited the original post in this thread to take out the extra material.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2

Re: When was the Sabbath first observed? #19434
04/20/01 10:22 AM
04/20/01 10:22 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Do you want a technical theory or a practical answer about planet Earth?

Sabbath is the memorial of creation. So when God began creation, at the end of the sixth day the first creatures capable of worship, did worship and keep the Sabbath. Probably Lucifer and the other angels any of the worlds created before the preperation day for the Sabbath .

God requiring time to prepare for Sabbath would also give the time and opportunity to prepare for Sabbath.

Other creation could occur after that first Sabbath and repeat the process of educating how to prepare for the next Sabbath & so on till creation was complete.

There is my technical theory based upon the fact that God does not change, and so what He commanded at Sini was still true long before Sini.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!