HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,610
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19598
07/11/01 04:55 PM
07/11/01 04:55 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The Good Wife's Guide

Housekeeping Monthly 13 May 1955

• Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when the come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

• Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

• Be a little gay [[remember at the date!]] and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may be need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

• Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

• Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.

• Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

• Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

• Be happy to see him.

• Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

• Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

• Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax

• Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquillity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

• Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

• Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as a minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

• Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

• Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

• Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

• A good wife always knows her place.

No author listed but it sure wasn't Betty Friedan

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited July 11, 2001).]

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19599
07/12/01 01:42 AM
07/12/01 01:42 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
It was probably her husband/boyfriend.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19600
07/12/01 10:50 AM
07/12/01 10:50 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Linda, I thought it came from within your own heart!!!

Daryl

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19601
07/12/01 01:31 PM
07/12/01 01:31 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Nope, one of the medical directors for the sleep lab (Dr Roger Balogh) brought it in to my boss. She thought Linda would get a kick out of it, so she brought it in for me. I brought it home to Linda.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19602
07/14/01 01:14 AM
07/14/01 01:14 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Would it be un-christian of me to throw up at this point? Little wonder the backlash from this tripe was extremist women's lib. Where do I sign up?

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19603
07/15/01 03:22 AM
07/15/01 03:22 AM
Jason P  Offline
California, USA
The first part was good, but the last, well, a little bit extreme. I like the having supper ready part, and taking a freshening up break. But what's with the let him be out all night?? argg, they had to ruin it.

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19604
07/15/01 01:33 AM
07/15/01 01:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Jason..that one part had to ruin it.

Avalee

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19605
07/15/01 03:41 AM
07/15/01 03:41 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I am so glad that nobody expects this sort of behavior from wives any more. There is absolutely no way that I would even consider becoming a non-person and going along with anything and everything he wants, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Through the years I have had to oppose my husband very firmly on some matters that were a serious violation of my own conscience, or that would have harmed our family's well-being. My husband is not perfect, and neither is anyone else, myself included, and no man (or woman) has any right to expect to be treated as a god, as this article is really asking women to do!

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19606
07/15/01 05:45 PM
07/15/01 05:45 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
I refuse to give credit where credit is not due!

Linda

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited July 15, 2001).]

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19607
07/15/01 05:47 PM
07/15/01 05:47 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Lest anyone think slavery to a master is my idea of the role of a wife, I assure you that it most definately is not.

I can't imagine any wife who would never question her husband's all-night absence without being given a valid prior notice!

And that bit about "his topics of conversation are more important than yours"--since when?!? That's like saying that wives are stupid and can't possibly converse on their husbands' level.

Then this one: "Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him." Try telling that with conviction to a wife who is living with an abuser, whether it is physical, verbal and/or mental abuse. Then there are some men who don't have a shred of common sense in some areas of living. They need lots of help making decisions.

Some of this stuff isn't even biblical.

Like I said, I don't know who wrote it, but it certainly helps a person see why Betty Friedan wrote The Feminine Mystique in the early 1960's, a book that helped launch a resurrgence of the "women's movment" that same decade. No, I'm not a feminist, but God didn't make women and wives to be slaves to men. He made them equal, but gave them different roles. The feminist movement doesn't recognize the role differences so their idea of equality is to become like men.

I actually put it in here tongue-in-cheek. Things have changed a lot in the last 45 years, though I'm not so sure that a lot of women felt that way even in back then. It was probably written by someone who believed the addage "Keep 'em barefoot and pregnant."

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: The Good Wife's Guide----Really! #19608
07/16/01 01:44 AM
07/16/01 01:44 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Linda,

I doubt if anyone really thought, at least for very long, that you agree with those instructions to women. I for one knew right away that you posted it because you thought we would find it amusing. It is, in a way, but it is also sad to think that anyone ever actually believed that wives should behave this way. It seems to me that it may even have been written by an abusive male, or by the codependent wife of one.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!