HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al #196865
10/21/23 07:48 PM
10/21/23 07:48 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I ask because I did a study 10 years ago or so but lost it when hackers bricked my laptop. It took me months to complete the study in both the Bible and the SOP. I had at lreast a 1000 hours into it by the time I finished.

Anyone interested in seeing a new study?

ga'al is the concept originally found in the law given by Moses that allowed the closest relative of someone who had become poor and had to sell themselves, their land, kids, and/or wife into slavery. The book or Ruth is a very good example of this law put into action. This law is symbolic of Jesus coming to earth to redeem us. It's the legal foundation for Christ's substitutionary sacrifice on Calvary.

Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196866
10/22/23 08:00 PM
10/22/23 08:00 PM
Kevin H  Online Content
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Wow! Sounds amazing!

Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Kevin H] #196870
10/23/23 09:54 AM
10/23/23 09:54 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by Kevin H
Wow! Sounds amazing!

Good. I'll start posting some basics on it.

Last edited by Garywk; 10/23/23 10:46 AM.
Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196871
10/23/23 10:09 AM
10/23/23 10:09 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is the first Hebrew word used in this study. In this instance it is translated as redeem. As you can see below it is used in several ways. It's translated 18 times as redeemer and every one is a prophetic use looking forward to Christ.

[*StrongsHebrew*]
1350 ga'al gaw-al' a primitive root, to redeem (according to the Oriental law of kinship), i.e. to be the next of kin (and as such to buy back a relative's property, marry his widow, etc.):--X in any wise, X at all, avenger, deliver, (do, perform the part of near, next) kinsfolk(-man), purchase, ransom, redeem(-er), revenger.

Leviticus 25: 23 ?The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.*n4
Leviticus 25: 24 And in all the land of your possession ye shall grant a redemption for the land.
Leviticus 25: 25 ?If thy brother be waxen poor, and hath sold away some of his possession, and if any of his kin come to redeem it, then shall he redeem that which his brother sold.
Leviticus 25: 26 And if the man have none to redeem it, and himself be able to redeem it;*n5
Leviticus 25: 27 Then let him count the years of the sale thereof, and restore the overplus unto the man to whom he sold it; that he may return unto his possession.
Leviticus 25: 28 But if he be not able to restore it to him, then that which is sold shall remain in the hand of him that hath bought it until the year of jubile: and in the jubile it shall go out, and he shall return unto his possession.

Last edited by Garywk; 10/23/23 10:13 AM.
Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196872
10/23/23 10:25 AM
10/23/23 10:25 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is a good illustration of this concept from the SOP. This concept is found throughout the SOP. When I did this study the first time I saved my data using an open source software Bible program and it had a feature for saving data the saved it in html. I ended up with 50 megs of files from scripture and the SOP.

This first quote is from DA p. 327.

Of Christ?s relation to His people, there is a beautiful illustration
in the laws given to Israel. When through poverty a Hebrew had
been forced to part with his patrimony, and to sell himself as a
bondservant, the duty of redeeming him and his inheritance fell to
the one who was nearest of kin. See Leviticus 25:25, 47-49; Ruth
2:20. So the work of redeeming us and our inheritance, lost through
sin, fell upon Him who is ?near of kin? unto us. It was to redeem
us that He became our kinsman. Closer than father, mother, brother,
friend, or lover is the Lord our Saviour. ?Fear not,? He says, ?for I
have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine.?
?Since thou wast precious in My sight, thou hast been honorable,
and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people
for thy life.? Isaiah 43:1, 4.

This second quote is from Patriarchs and Prophets p. 154. This quote is one of the other ways ga'al is translated into English, ransom.

Through type and promise God ?preached before the gospel
unto Abraham.? Galatians 3:8. And the patriarch?s faith was fixed
upon the Redeemer to come. Said Christ to the Jews. ?Your father
Abraham rejoiced that he should see My day; and he saw it, and was
glad.? John 8:56, R.V., margin. The ram offered in the place of Isaac
represented the Son of God, who was to be sacrificed in our stead.
When man was doomed to death by transgression of the law of God,
the Father, looking upon His Son, said to the sinner, ?Live: I have
found a ransom.?

Last edited by Garywk; 10/23/23 10:33 AM.
Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196873
10/23/23 10:38 AM
10/23/23 10:38 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is the way this concept is found in the NT.

Here is the Greek word translated as redeemed.

[*StrongsGreek*]
3085 lutrosis loo'-tro-sis from 3084; a ransoming (figuratively):--+ redeemed, redemption. see GREEK for 3084

Luke 24: 21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Revelation 14: 4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

Here is more usage from this concept using a different Greek word.

[*StrongsGreek*]
59 agorazo ag-or-ad'-zo from 58; properly, to go to market, i.e. (by implication) to purchase; specially, to redeem:--buy, redeem. see GREEK for 58

1Corinthians 7: 23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.

2Peter 2: 1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

There is another concept too. It's that we have been sold under sin found in both OT and NT.

20 And Ahab said to Elijah, Hast thou found me, O mine enemy? And he answered, I have found thee: because thou hast sold thyself to work evil in the sight of the Lord.

Galatians 7: 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196874
10/23/23 10:44 AM
10/23/23 10:44 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
This concept is related to other concepts in the plan of salvation such as dominion, inheritance, and the cities of refuge.

Now comes some on dominion.

[*StrongsHebrew*]
7287 radah raw-daw' a primitive root; to tread down, i.e. subjugate; specifically, to crumble off:--(come to, make to) have dominion, prevail against, reign, (bear, make to) rule,(-r, over), take.

How did we come to have rulership over the earth and who now has it?

Genesis 1: 26 ?And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

John 14: 30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

We lost the dominion of this world when Adam sinned. And we lost it to the devil. He claimed the dominion of this world after Adam fell to him. It's why Jesus said the following.

John 8: 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Last edited by Garywk; 10/23/23 10:45 AM.
Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196875
10/23/23 11:48 AM
10/23/23 11:48 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

Now let's move on to a word study of redemption.

In the OT it is translated from gullah.

[*StrongsHebrew*]
1353 gullah gheh-ool-law' feminine passive participle of 1350; redemption (including the right and the object); by implication, relationship:--kindred, redeem, redemption, right. see HEBREW for 01350
]box] 9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. [/box]
In the NT it is translated from apolutrosis.

[*StrongsGreek*]
629 apolutrosis ap-ol-oo'-tro-sis from a compound of 575 and 3083; (the act) ransom in full, i.e. (figuratively) riddance, or (specially) Christian salvation:--deliverance, redemption. see GREEK for 575 see GREEK for 3083

1Corinthians 1: 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Interestingly enough the word righteousness is translated from the following.

[*StrongsGreek*]
1343 dikaiosune dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay from 1342; equity (of character or act); specially (Christian) justification:--righteousness. see GREEK for 1342

The word sanctification comes from the following.

[*StrongsGreek*]
38 hagiasmos hag-ee-as-mos' from 37; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier:--holiness, sanctification. see GREEK for 37

So Jesus ransomed us so that we might have equity of character and so we might be pure.

Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196876
10/23/23 11:51 AM
10/23/23 11:51 AM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Now we will step into the concept of inheritance.

Deuteronomy 33: 4 Moses commanded us a law, even the inheritance of the congregation of Jacob.

God identifies with His people as He calls their land His inheritance.

18 And first I will recompense their iniquity and their sin double; because they have defiled my land, they have filled mine inheritance with the carcases of their detestable and abominable things.

This draws in the statement on Israel being His firstborn son.

Exodus 4: 22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

It is called primogeniture when the firstborn son inherits the largest share of the father's wealth.

Exodus 12: 29 ?And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.*n8

Notice that God's angel killed not only the firstborn of all the Egyptians but the firstborn of all their livestock too. This will become an important point later on in this study.

Re: How many here have studies theHebrew Concept of ga'al [Re: Garywk] #196877
10/23/23 12:30 PM
10/23/23 12:30 PM
G
Garywk  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
So now let's dig into the relationshio between ga'al and Jesus.

[*StrongsHebrew*]
1350 ga'al gaw-al' a primitive root, to redeem (according to the Oriental law of kinship), i.e. to be the next of kin (and as such to buy back a relative's property, marry his widow, etc.):--X in any wise, X at all, avenger, deliver, (do, perform the part of near, next) kinsfolk(-man), purchase, ransom, redeem(-er), revenger.

Job 19: 25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

Psalm 19: 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.*n8

Psalm 78: 35 And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.

Isaiah 43: 14 ?Thus saith the Lord, your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; For your sake I have sent to Babylon, and have brought down all their nobles, and the Chaldeans, whose cry is in the ships.*n4

Isaiah 49: 7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.*n5

Isaiah 54: 5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.*n1

There are a lot more prophetic verses but this is enough to demonstrate the truth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!