HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H), 3,417 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Sabbath Controversy #20345
08/19/05 01:22 AM
08/19/05 01:22 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
Hi all,

I though I would share this.

The past 2 weeks there have been letters to the editor of our largest (most read) newspaper regarding articles a SDA friend of mine has been writing in the religious section of the paper about the Mart of The Beast and the day of Christian worship.

The first letter was sent be someone calling themselves “Christian Historian” who attacked Sister Blossom and the Sabbath. I responded to his criticism as so did another SDA brother. Since the articles are not online I'll post the test of the letter in cronological order for you to read.

Just to let you all know whats happening in these parts of the woods.

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20346
08/19/05 01:23 AM
08/19/05 01:23 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
Initial letter....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rest, and keep Sabbath holy, whether Saturday or Sunday.

Dear Sir:

Every week Blossom Valleray, self-appointed evangelist, places an advertisement in your Thursday Religion Supplement under the caption “Who Will receive It?” which is characterized by half-truths (a Hebrew saying is “A half-truth is a whole lie”), selective ‘history’, biblical quotations taken out of context, and a mismash of contradictions in order to prove that her weird religious views are the authentic view of Christianity.

First, she contends that Christians should observe the Sabbath on Saturday, not on Sunday, in contrast to 95 per cent of Christians worldwide (Anglicans, Baptists, Catholics, Congregationalists, Methodists, Presbyterians and other denominations). Consequently, she is denouncing the majority of Christians based on her limited knowledge of the Bible and Church history.

The word ‘Sabbath’ is derived from the Hebrew ‘Shabbath’ which means rest day (not Saturday). The Jewish days were numbered (not named) except the last day ‘Shabbath’ (rest day). Nowhere does the Bible specifically command that Saturday or Sunday be observed as the Sabbath. In fact, the Jews observed the Sabbath for nearly 2,000 years prior to the pagan name of the day Saturday after the planet Saturn.

Christianity regards the New Testament as the fulfillment of the Old Testament. In Matthew 16, Jesus says unequivocally, categorically and emphatically to Peter: “I will gave you the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven: whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”. In Mark 2, Jesus emphasizes: “The Sabbath was made for man; man was not made for the Sabbath.”

The Acts of the Apostles emphasize that the Apostles (those closest to Jesus) honored the first day of the week with special religious signicance, including the Lord’s Supper. Moreover, Christ rose from the grave on Sunday; He appeared twice to the Apostles on Sunday; and Sunday was the birth day of the Church (Pentecost).

During the early days of its existence, Christianity was embroiled in great internal controversy, relative to Mosaic Law in connection with circumcision, prohibited foods an other matters. St. Peter, St. Paul, St. James, St. John and the majority of the Christians resisted those laws in the light of the New Covenant; the Council of Jerusalem, presided over by St. Peter, emphatically reiterated those views which are now an integral part of Christianity.

People who accept Saturday as the Sabbath should logically accept the other tenants of Mosaic Law, including circumcision, refraining from eating pork and other prohibited foods under the old covenant, and observer all other tenets of Judaism… in fact, one cannot simultaneously claim to be a Jew and a Christian!

“Who Will Receive It?”, in short, is a mass contradiction which will take more space to expand upon. Part 5 of this Series (last week) concludes with: “Please look for Part 6 when we will discuss how the United States of America will form an image to the beast and cause all men to worship the beast and receive his mark. Call 356-6157 for the Free Book “The Great Controversy Ended.”

Other people, no doubt, will also respond to the advertisements which might impress people who do not know the Bible, Church history or world history.

Yours etc.

A Christian Historian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20347
08/19/05 01:26 AM
08/19/05 01:26 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
My response....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In response to a letter to the editor from “A Christian Historian”concerning theSabbath.

Historian, as believers our search for truth should never be in looking to the largest crowd to find truth. Truth is found in God’s Word (John 8:32). Christ tells us in (Matt 7:13) that simply following the crowd would lead on the wrong path.

Historian, you stated, “Nowhere does the Bible specifically command that Saturday or Sunday be observed as the Sabbath”. But the Bible says that on the seventh day of creation, God rested (Genesis 2:2-3) from his work, blessed and sanctified that day. The Creator of the universe set aside a day of physical and spiritual rest for all mankind that we can draw nearer to our Lord and He calls His people to remember that day of rest (Exodus 20:8 ) . He promises His blessing on all who obey in love (Isaiah 58:13-14, Acts 5:32 ) .

Historian, it is true that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, but nowhere is there any instruction in the Bible for anyone to keep that day holy. Many wonderful events occurred on certain days of the week, but we have no command to keep them holy. The basis for Sabbath keeping is the direct handwritten command of God (Genesis 2:2-3 ) and this was Christ’s example to all of us (Luke 4:16 ) .

Yes, Mosaic law was apart of Jewish history, however, the Sabbath is called "the Sabbath of the Lord," but never "the Sabbath of the Jews. Mosaic law was the “ordinances” that were against us (Col 2:14-16 ) , fulfilled (Matt 27:51 ) and where done away with. Two beautiful, original institutions were set up by God Himself before sin ever came into the world - marriage and the Sabbath. Both were made for man, both received the special blessing of the Creator and both continue to be just as holy now as when they were sanctified in the Garden of Eden. The same Jesus that created the universe (Col 1:13-16, John 1:1-3, 14 ) is Lord of the Sabbath (Ex 20:10, Matt 12:8 ) and His Law can never be done away with (Matt 5:18 ) .

Before Christ returns for His children, He makes special note that many will in love and obedience will faithfully uphold His Law:
(Rev 14:12 ) Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

I'll close this with a quote from John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments." They are not grievous, but were given by the same loving God who died for our sins.

Maranatha!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20348
08/19/05 01:28 AM
08/19/05 01:28 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
2nd letter....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHRISTIAN HISTORIAN RESPONDS TO CRITIC

Dear Sir:
The above group, supporting Blossom Valleray's 6 weekly advertisements in your newspaper in your Thursday Religion Supplement under the caption "Who Will Receive It?", is absolutely convinced that it has the monopoly on truth, and appears to hold that all other Christians who do not accept Saturday as the Sabbath are misguided and misled and worship the Beast! What spiritual arrogance!
May I reiterate that those closest to Jesus, the Apostles, honoured the first day of the week as the Sabbath. In Mark 2, Jesus said: "The Sabbath was made for man, man was not made for the Sabbath."
The great African Christian, Tertullian wrote in the Second Century: "The Church is from the Apostles, the Apostles from Christ, Christ from God." St. Matthew's Gospel ends with the words of Jesus to his faithful followers: "Lo, I am with you even up to the end of the world."
As for the attacks by Blossom Valleray on 95 per cent of Christians - Anglicans, A. M. E., Assemblies of God, Baptists, Brethren, Catholics, Church of God, Congregationalists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Salvation Army and others who observe Sunday as the Sabbath - she contends that they bear the Image of the Beast (her weird interpretation of the Book of Revelation) and USA "will form an image to the Beast, cause all men to worship the Beast and receive his mark." ("Who Will Receive It?" Part 5).
Selective quotations from the Bible taken out of context can prove anything. An atheist can claim that he bases his views on the Bible where it is written, "There is no God", conveniently overlooking the fact that the complete statement is: "The fool hath said in his heart: 'There is no God.'"
Moreover, in a court of law a person swears to state the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth. Why? Because a half truth can be a whole lie!
Yours, etc.
A CHRISTIAN HISTORIAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20349
08/19/05 01:31 AM
08/19/05 01:31 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
my 2nd response....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws…(Daniel 7:25) .

Historian, in my response to you last Thursday I showed where God’s Law is for all mankind, which includes the Christian believer. His seventh day Sabbath rest is apart of His Holy Law and the hands or decrees of man can never change what God has written.
However, let us examine history and see what both Catholic and Protestant leaders have to say about the Law, the Sabbath and Sunday worship:

• "The Pope is of so great authority and power that he can modify, explain, or interpret even divine law". The pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts a vicegerent of God upon earth" Lucius Ferraris, Prompta Bibliotheca, art. Papa, II, Vol. VI, p. 29. (Catholic)
• The Pope is considered the man on earth who "takes the place" of the Second Person of the omnipotent God of the Trinity." John Paul II, Crossing the Threshold of Hope, p. 3, 1994 (Catholic)
• "Sunday is a Catholic institution, and... can be defended only on Catholic principles.... From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." Catholic Press, Aug. 25, 1900 (Catholic)
• "Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope." Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950. (Catholic)
• "Nowhere in the Bible is it laid down that worship should be done on Sunday. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. ...! That is Saturday." P. Carrington, Archbishop of Quebec, Oct. 27, 1949. (Anglican)
• The observance of the Lord's Day (Sunday) is founded not on any command of God, but on the authority of the Church." Augsburg Confession of Faith. (Lutheran)
• But the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away.... The moral law stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law. ...Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind and in all ages."-JOHN WESLEY, "Sermons on Several Occasions," 2-Vol. Edition, Vol. I, pages 221, 222. (Methodist)
• "This Fourth is not a commandment for one place, or one time, but for all places and times." D.L. Moody, at San Francisco, Jan. 1st, 1881. (Moody Bible Inst.)
• "The observance of the seventh-day Sabbath did not cease till it was abolished after the [Roman] empire became Christian," ¬American Presbyterian Board of Publication, Tract No. 118 (Presbyterian)
• "To command...men...to observe...the Lord's day...is contrary to the gospel." - "Memoirs of Alexander Campbell," Vol. 1, page 528. (Church of Christ)
• Not once did the disciples apply the Sabbath law to the first day of the week, -- that folly was left for a later age, nor did they pretend that the first day supplanted the seventh.” Joseph Hudson Taylor, ‘The Sabbatic Question’, p. 14-17, 41. (Southern Baptist)

This is but a few historical quotes and sadly we see that it was that hand of man that has attempted to change what God has created. The Sabbath is not the whole Law, but rather a part of the Law (Ex 20) that all Christians should lovingly obey through faith in Christ (John 15:9-11). This is not an attack on Sunday keepers, but rather it show’s that the institutional leaders have not protected the flock and have indeed allowed error to creep in (Acts 20:28-30, Matt 5:19). I urge all readers to question your church leaders and see where they stand. Are they standing solidly on the authority of God’s Word or do they stand elsewhere (Matt 5:1.
In closing here is a quote from a great Christian Martin Luther, when threatened to be burned at the stake unless he denied his beliefs said the following: “…unless they thus render my conscience bound by the word of God, I cannot and I will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; may God help me. Amen."

Maranatha!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20350
08/19/05 01:33 AM
08/19/05 01:33 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
Another letter to the editor....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sabbath observance was specific to Jews

Dear Sir,
It may seem like there is no more to say about the Sabbath day issue than has already been said. I believe however that the following points may bring a balanced, objective outlook in this regard.
When originally mentioned in the Bible the Sabbath information had no command attached to it. (Genesis 2:2-3) The first mention of a commanded observance was to the Hebrew nation, led by Moses from bondage and slavery in Egypt to freedom and rest in the promised Land. (Exodus 16:22-30 and Exodus 20:8-11).
Later in Exodus 31:12-17, God again links the Sabbath specifically as a perpetual covenant sign between himself and "the children of Israel".
At this time the death penalty was commanded for violators of the Sabbath.
The Sabbath commandment was repeated to the Hebrews in Deuteronomy 5:12-15. Verse 15 specifies that their deliverance from slavery in Egypt by God was the decisive reference point for them being commanded by God to observe the Sabbath.
Additional observations and conclusions:
God has the right to determine the terms and conditions to be enforced when He convenes a covenant. Not every covenant has the exact same terms and conditions.
The Ten Commandments are not the only Commandments God has given. A
person alive today is exposed to the entire Bible and has the responsibility to
determine which commandments are applicable to him/her. The permanent
commandments are usually clarified by being repeated in the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, the Epistles and the book of Revelation.
There is no clear-cut indisputable, explicit command given to Non-Jewish
Christians to keep the Sabbath.
If Non-Jewish Christians commit to observe the Sabbath, as commanded to the Jews, they should use the same day as the Jews. God is not the author of
confusion. No church organization has the right to change the Sabbath Day from the seventh day. If they do, it may be a rest day for them but not the legitimate Sabbath observance.
The Sabbath day debate should not center around which day one should worship on. God should be worshipped continually in our minds, words and lifestyles.
Salvation is not tied to which day we observe, but sincere faith in Jesus, The Lamb of God we can boast only in Him.
Jesus pointed to love as being the distinguishing mark of Christian believers. Of course the moral commandments are clearly repeated in the New Testament by Jesus and his apostles.
Yours, etc.
GREGORY ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20351
08/19/05 01:34 AM
08/19/05 01:34 AM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
This last letter above was written to the editor and published. However, the writer then contacted my friend (who also wrote a letter upholding God's Law) and asked for a copy of the Great Cont. He said that he would read it to see if what it says is true. The same day the commissioner of the police send someone to collect two copies of Ther Great Cont.

I did not respond to the last letter. Our countries population is 350,000+ people and I would say that close to 100,000 read this newspaper. So issue of the Sabbath has been lifted up before many in our country. I pray that hearts were touched and come to the fullness of truth.

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20352
08/19/05 01:26 PM
08/19/05 01:26 PM
razorren  Offline OP
Bahamas
There are currently two very big religious issues in our country.

(1) A local self proclaimed prophet has been holding meetings and selling holy water. Multitudes are attending the meetings and claiming mericles.

(2) Rod Parsley, Eddie Long and Myles Munroe (Bahamain), have held a large crusade. Rod Parsley is pushing his agenda for Christians to for the government to pass religious laws.

Both of these issues are on my heart to address as many are being decieved.

Here is a link to some local news paper articles about the above...

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/religion/314874775391693.php

https://www.centerformoralclarity.net/passing.aspx?id=61

http://www.bfmmm.com/conference.asp

--Ren

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20353
08/19/05 02:21 PM
08/19/05 02:21 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Most interesting things happening there.

Keep us posted. [Smile]

Re: The Sabbath Controversy #20354
08/20/05 12:27 AM
08/20/05 12:27 AM
Angie Street  Offline
Michigan
WOW! That definitely needs our prayers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!