Since the cold and flu season is now upon us, I thought I’d share some of my home remedies for these common maladies.

I call this one Teri’s tea, because the recipe was given to me by our former pastor’s wife Teri, although she got it from someone else who did not give it any name. If used at the very first sign of a cold or flu, it may prevent the disease from developing any further.

Mix equal portions by weight of the following:

Hyssop leaf
Chamomile
Catnip leaf
Red raspberry leaf
Goldenseal leaf

Add 3 heaping tablespoons to 4 cups of boiling water. Cover and allow to steep for 20 – 30 minutes. Drink the entire batch in one day.

If the first cold symptom is a sore throat, a hot salt water gargle, used before any other symptoms develop, will usually stop the cold at that point for me. If other symptoms are already present, it will at least put an end to the sore throat. Add one tablespoon of salt to a cup of hot water, as hot as possible without burning. Gargle 3 to 4 times per day, for as long as you can stand to do it. 30 minutes is optimal, but the salt water is so strong, I can never stand to keep it up that long. But even 10 minutes can take care of the problem if used promptly.

Salt water nasal irrigation will have the same effect for a runny nose. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt to a cup of boiled water. Measure very carefully, as a strong solution can damage the nasal membranes. Several times per day, use a dropper or pour small amounts into one hand and sniff it up into the nose. Allow it to run down the throat, then spit it out. Keep this up until you have used up the entire cup of salt water.

In case you don’t manage to avoid developing a full-blown case of cold or flu, you might want to try what I call my headache tea. I came up with this blend myself to treat the main symptoms of my autoimmune disease: headache, nausea, fatigue, and insomnia. My son used it the last time he had a bad headache, and he said it worked much better than ibuprofen, which he had used earlier.

Measurements are by weight:

2 ounces catnip leaf
2 ounces chamomile
1 ounce hops

Add one tablespoon to a cup of boiling water. Allow to steep for 20 – 30 minutes.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited November 15, 2000).]