It is the time of the year when people may get Heat Exhaustation, and Heat Stroke. With Heat Stroke, you are near death. If Heat Exhaustation is not dwelt with, it can progress to Heat Stroke, and death.

I am posting here a post that I made in another forum, for your interest, and/or comment.

Peace,
Gregory Matthews

posted July 22, 2002 09:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday afternoon (about 4:30) we went on an evening picnic with a church group. They have it every year about this time, in the mountains near Rocky Mountain National Park. We usually take our 80 lb. Airdale, and we all climb a small mountain at the picnic site--with our dog. So, we thought nothing about it as we did it this year.

This year things were much different. Near the top, the dog did not seem to have the energy that he needed, and his breathing was affected. So, I gave him time to rest, and started down with him when he seemed ready to go. We did not get very far before he colasped on the trail. He had Heat Exaustation.

For two hours we (the other members of the group had returned) worked on the animal. They traveled to a nearby stream, filled their water bottles with dirty water, and brought it back to pour over Byron (the dog). A familly not associated with our group went down the mountain and returned with a raincoat and offered it to us for a makeshift litter to carry the dog down the mountain.

After two hours, we felt Byron was well enough to be moved. Six men carred him down the mountain.

By that time the dog was conscious, but paralized in his hindquaters. So, I had to carry him everywhere we went. We stayed at the picnic, out in the cool air, where people could make over him, and then took him home.

We have been force feeding him electrolytes, and Ensure, as he has not wanted to either eat or drink. Slowly he is ragaining his ability to walk. But, it is not comming fast.

In any case, our dog is on the mend. He will recover. But, he will never again climb mountains. It was asltitude, age (twelve years old), and heat. And he was a mere mililmeter away from death. as for us, we are thankful to God, the people who worked over him for two hours, and the people who carried him down the mountain.

--------------------
Gregory