HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,448 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Natural Remedies #31425
02/05/05 05:16 AM
02/05/05 05:16 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
I suppose most people like to pop a pill for their ailments but what do you think of natural remedies instead?

Do you believe no drugs should be used at all?

When you are sick, or your child is sick, do you take them to the doctor?

Does your family have a "family doctor?"

I have found out something by using hydrotherapy on my chilren when they were little. They LOVED the extra attention when they were not feeling well. The extra motherly touch, the good feeling from the treatment which left them relaxed and feeling secure.

I have books by Dr. Thomas with all hydrotherapy treatments listed in it. Also "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss. Dr. Agatha Thrash has many good books out on hydrotherapy and other treatments that are natural.

If any one is interested on how to obtain these books, I would be happy to give names of books and addresses of where you can get them.

Re: Natural Remedies #31426
02/05/05 08:58 AM
02/05/05 08:58 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Debbie,
This may sound abit silly, but do the hydrotherapy treatments require any specialized equipment? I know I am interested in natural remedies sinceI feel that taking antibiotics does harm to my body, and know that there is a way to make the immune system strong enough to resist todays bugs. Mind you I don't believe in taking flu shots either and prefer that my body defend itself with what God gave it vs what man has whipped together in a lab.
If you can send me some information on where I can get these books that would be great!
God Bless & Happy Sabbath,
-Will

Re: Natural Remedies #31427
02/05/05 10:32 AM
02/05/05 10:32 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Hi Will & Debbie,

Hydrotherapy is really benefical. One way to do hydrotherapy each and every day, is to do a hot shower and cool off with cold water. The shower should just be hot enough to stand and then cool off with cold water until it is cold enough to stand. Note: Going to cold or hot should be gradual.

I recall in boarding school two sisters believed in hydrotherapy and I don't recall that they were ever sick. They faithfully took their showers very hot then cooling off to cold water.

Will, if you need natures antibotics, pine needle tea is great. You take a nice hand full of pine needles, cut off those pieces that are not all needles. Then cut into about 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Bring your cup of water to a boil, add the pine needles and "gently" simmer for 20 minutes.

Now using lemon water daily is a good way to keep your blood cleansed. It really helps your system. Suggest 3 tablespoons lemon juice to your total daily water (8 glasses), especially if you don't like the lemon.

Great post Debbie! Thank you for bringing up this topic.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

Re: Natural Remedies #31428
02/05/05 06:02 PM
02/05/05 06:02 PM
W
Windsor  Offline
United States
An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Wash your hands and never touch your face with your hands unless they have just been washed. You will be amazed at the reduction in sickness.

Also, most antibiotics are natural, penicillin being the classic example.

Re: Natural Remedies #31429
02/05/05 06:30 PM
02/05/05 06:30 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Here is something I have been doing recently. I have been eating several cloves of garlic during the week.
However I have been roasting heads of garlic, and this is in order that the immune system be strong enough to resist colds,flus, increase strength, help with digestion etc.
The beauty of roasting it is that the garlic smell is not as strong and is actually pretty weak. [Smile]
God Bless,
Will

Re: Natural Remedies #31430
02/05/05 07:27 PM
02/05/05 07:27 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
I've said it before, and hopefully it bears repeating: since giving up all dairy products nearly three years ago, I just don't get sick any more. Ever. Giving up meat helped, yes, but it was getting away from the dairy that pushed things over the top.

I might have a bad day every now and then, when a 'bug' is evidently trying to elbow its way into the system; but a few hours of sleep and everything's all better. That's a whole different scenario than having a cold/cough/sneezy sniffles/sore throat for two weeks!

Cheri, I'm going to try that cooling off with cold water trick in the shower; have been doing the hot part for decades. [Smile] The lemon water sounds like a good idea too -- and quite a bit cheaper than the "Willard Water" I use from time to time.

Debbie, about the only pill I pop is an ibuprofen for the occasional headache, when I'm in a hurry. But a better remedy for that is to pour a footpan of hot water, and put your feet in it. The blood rushes to the feet to try and carry away the extra heat; so blood moves away from the brain, and relieves the headache.

Re: Natural Remedies #31431
02/05/05 07:56 PM
02/05/05 07:56 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:

Windsor originally posted:
Also, most antibiotics are natural, penicillin being the classic example.

Penicillin is a natural antibiotic?

Re: Natural Remedies #31432
02/05/05 09:31 PM
02/05/05 09:31 PM
W
Windsor  Offline
United States
Yes it is. Penicillin is produced by the fungus Penicillium chrysogenum.

Ampicillin and amoxicillin are in the same class of antibiotics but are considered semi-synthetic because a few molecules have been modified.

Re: Natural Remedies #31433
02/05/05 11:19 PM
02/05/05 11:19 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Will, you can see by what John posted about the foot treatment how easy it is to do. And no, you really don't need any special equipment to practice hydrotherapy. A wool blanket, a pan to put your feet in, water, towels and washclothes, usually just household items. That is why hydrotherapy is so NICE

And Cheri, your shower "treatment" is excellent advice!! I get in a hurry at times and forget to do that--but you are right. If you want to stay well--and certainly have a clear mind--just try that cold water (and do a nice hopping dance in the shower [Big Grin] while you are doing it)...just remember you don't need to stay under the cold water. I just rinse off as quickly as possible (brrr!!) and get OUT!!

I must second what John said about leaving off all dairy products. It is the best way to stay healthy and well!

Windsor said penicillin is a natural product. I would agree. I do know that Dr. Thrash has in her books natural remedies in the place of an antibiotic. What Cheri posted about the shower is one natural antibiotic...it keeps the blood circulating and the white blood cells in better health so they can do their job. I like to look at penicillin as something I can take should it get to the point that nothing else would work--as a last resort. Penicillin has saved many lives in the past and I'm thankful for it!!

Will, I will get the information for these books and post them just a bit later...

Re: Natural Remedies #31434
02/05/05 11:38 PM
02/05/05 11:38 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
1. "Home Remedies" by Drs Agatha and Calvin Thrash. (Hydrotherapy, Massage, Charcoal and other Simple Treatments). Web-site with addresses is: www.ucheepines.org/contact_info.htm

2. "Water Seminar" by Charles S. Thomas, Ph.D. I'm not sure how to get this book as it was put out at a seminar I went to by Dr. Thomas. You might ask at your local ABC. This book covers the basics of hydrotherapy!!

3. "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss (SDA) (written in the 1800's and probably at your local library).

4. "Natural Remedies, A Manual" by Phylis Austin with Drs Agatha and Calvin Thrash (MDs). This is a smaller book as a continuation of the first book they put out (I listed above). There is a third one also out called "More Natural Remedies" by the same Uchee Pines group.

5. "God's Healing Leaves" A User's Guide to Herbology by Robert McClintock, ND. P. O. Box 7, Rice, Washington 99167. Dr. McClintock has been on 3ABN and is SDA. This book is more about the use of herbal treatments.

6. "Mad Cows and Milk Gate" by Virgil Hulse, M. D. is a good book telling the truth about the dairy industry. Published by Marble Mountian Publishing, P. O. Box 668, Phoenix, Oregon 97535. I am not sure but I believe Dr. Hulse is also SDA.

There are many more books out there. Mine are on the older side but very valuable to me.

I might add as an edit here: Dr. Thrash's website could probably help anyone get any of these books listed here. I'm thinking specifically of Dr. Thomas and Dr. Kloss's books!

Re: Natural Remedies #31435
02/05/05 11:44 PM
02/05/05 11:44 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Cheri, if you have any other books, web addresses or any other information, please feel free to share it here! We welcome it!!

Re: Natural Remedies #31436
02/06/05 09:25 PM
02/06/05 09:25 PM
E
elf  Offline
Posting New Member
B.C.
In answer to your questions. Yes, I believe in natural remedies whenever possible. But we do have a family doctor and I believe allopathic medicine has it's place. If I get hit by a truck all the hydrotherapy in the world isn't going to set my broken bones although it would help with pain and speed healing.

I have used a heating compress that I rigged up using a damp t-shirt and a wool sweater on three of my children at different times. One of them had pneumonia according to the doctor, but the heating compress overnight for three or four nights had him cleared right up.

I have a hydrotherapy book that was my grandmothers when she did her nurses training at one of our sanitariums many years ago. It is full of great information.
ELF

Re: Natural Remedies #31437
02/08/05 03:14 PM
02/08/05 03:14 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline
Gloversville, NY, USA
Hello again,

You know many great things were being discussed regarding blue algae.

Then I began discussing this with someone who is a student of health reform for many many years. She suggested that if I have difficulty in understanding what is natural return to the scriptures and remember if this is listed under the category 'of these we may freely eat.'

You know the path to health with Christ is restrictive as it does not conform to the world's thoughts and perceptions. Penicillin is not natural, it comes because of dying materials.

But each of us are responsible to pray to God for the Holy Spirit to teach us all truth, and I have no fear that if we are willing, He will bring us to His understanding of what is right and good before Him.

What I may and may not know today, God may open my eyes tomorrow with further understanding as to what He desires from me.

To Elf...I have found that all things are to be done according to our knowledge and through prayer. As God increases the knowledge, we learn to have a faith that His ways and will is greatest and none is like it. It has taken time and faith (step by step) to trust in natural healing procedures. Part of natural healing procedures for a broken bone would be to reset it by someone who is trained in this.

In my own experience, I have had a huge lump on my left breast. I had much urging from my Adventist family to go the medicine/chemo route. But after studying the percentage of chemo patients recovering, I immediately sought prayer and counsel with the scriptures and writings of Mrs. White.

My choice was to trust in God's healing methods. And I followed the 8 laws of health along with Essiac Tea. Within one week the lump disappeared. I relaxed and left the 8 laws of health and the lump immediately returned. So I returned to the 8 laws of health with prayer and supplication and three days later the lump was gone again.

I consulted with women that knew the Spirit of Prophecy and had over 20 years of dealing with herbs and cancer.

Now this is my faith, and my experience, and I do not expect everyone to have the same faith. But only ask for us to pray to God what He wants for us in every little detail of our existance so that we may honor Him.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

Re: Natural Remedies #31438
02/08/05 09:09 PM
02/08/05 09:09 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
From a google search, it looks like penicillin can be either natural or synthetic. I'm going by some of the scientific reports on it.

However, it is still a drug and I believe should be used carefully and not at all if one doesn't need it.

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: debbie] #121277
11/04/09 11:46 PM
11/04/09 11:46 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Natural Remedies - Are They For Your Family?

Are there criteria to help you determine? Yes, indeed! Here are six check points to help you decide.

1) Natural remedies work best when all health laws are carefully practiced. Study the laws of body function; put them into the habits of daily living. "If all would seek to become intelligent in regard to their bodily necessities, sickness would be rare instead of common." 2SM:291.

2) Natural remedies give every opportunity to practice faith and trust in God as the preserver and restorer of health. Seeking God's will is central to God's healing. This vital point is not a consideration in regular medical practice. "Jesus is willing and able to bear all our infirmities and strengthen and heal all our diseases if it will be for our good and for His glory. Some died in the days of Christ and in the days of the apostles because the Lord knew what was best for them." MM:17.

3) Natural remedies work best separated from other healing modalities. "There are many ways of practicing the healing art, but there is only one way that Heaven approves. God's remedies are the simple agencies of nature that will not tax or debilitate the system through their powerful properties." Vol. 5:443.

4) Natural remedies require an investment in time, labor and skill. "Pure air and water, cleanliness, a proper diet, purity of life, and a firm trust in God are tremedies for the want of which thousands are dying; yet these remedies are going out of date because their skillful use requires work that the people do not appreciate." Vol. 5:443.

5) Natural remedies encourage taking responsibility for one's own health. This forms a positive, active attitude versus a passive dependency upon others to do what one may well do for oneself. "If the sick and suffering will do only as well as they know in regard to living out the principles of health reform perseveringly, then they will in nine cases out of 10 recover from their ailments." MM:224.

The use of natural remedies promotes the restoring of physical health as well as the upbuilding of character through obedience to God's laws, physical and moral. The use of God's simple remedies contributes to the healing of the whole man--body, mind and soul. "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases." Psalms 103:2,3.

The use of natural remedies goes hand in hand with the ultimate purpose for preserving and restoring health. "The physical life is to be carefully eduicated, cultivated, and developed, that through men and women the diine nature may be revealed in its fullness...ThusChrist is represented to the world." Reflecting Christ:165. --Mary Ann McNeilus, MD, Natuiral Lifestyle and Your Health.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #121279
11/05/09 12:33 AM
11/05/09 12:33 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
ASTHMA

A study conducted in England, suggests that asthma and other lung diseases may be responses to a diet that's poor in magnesium. The researchers tested the lung function of over 2,600 adults, and surveyed the subjects's eating habits to estimate their magnesium intake. Sure enough, people who got a lot of magnesium in their diets had better scores on the lung performance tests. People with low magnesium intakes were more likely to report wheezing or to have hyper-reactive airways. Magnesium is known to relax the constricted airway of people with asthma. The researchers point out that cooked or refined food tends to be low in magnesium, so it's not hard for a Western diet to be magnesium poor.

Natural sources of magnesium inculde nuts, soybeans, raw and cooked green leafy veggies, particularly kale, endive, chard, celery, beettops, alfalfa, figs, apples, lemons, peaches, almonds, whole grains, sunflower seeds, brown rice and sesame seeds. --Lancet; Science News.

Other natural remedies for asthma:

* Vitamin C as found in citrus and other raw fruits, etc. is a potent asthma fighter.

* Garlic and red clover tea for asthma relief.

* Passive smoking worsens asthma attacks.

* Salt rich diets worsen asthma.

* Antioxidants as found in fresh fruits and veggies relieve asthma.

* Junk food - snacks, cakes, cookies, chips, etc. - contribute to childhood allergies and asthma.

* Trans fats involved in asthma.

* Omega-3 fatty acids relieve asthma.

* Drink lots of water; reduce salt intake - improves breathing. Exercise and vitamin C helps.

* Wheezing gone with B-6 and vitamin C...natural antihistamines. --gleaned from Prevention, and other health magazines.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #121288
11/05/09 04:43 AM
11/05/09 04:43 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Suzanne
ASTHMA

A study conducted in England, suggests that asthma and other lung diseases may be responses to a diet that's poor in magnesium. The researchers tested the lung function of over 2,600 adults, and surveyed the subjects's eating habits to estimate their magnesium intake. Sure enough, people who got a lot of magnesium in their diets had better scores on the lung performance tests. People with low magnesium intakes were more likely to report wheezing or to have hyper-reactive airways. Magnesium is known to relax the constricted airway of people with asthma. The researchers point out that cooked or refined food tends to be low in magnesium, so it's not hard for a Western diet to be magnesium poor.

Natural sources of magnesium inculde nuts, soybeans, raw and cooked green leafy veggies, particularly kale, endive, chard, celery, beettops, alfalfa, figs, apples, lemons, peaches, almonds, whole grains, sunflower seeds, brown rice and sesame seeds. --Lancet; Science News.

Other natural remedies for asthma:

* Vitamin C as found in citrus and other raw fruits, etc. is a potent asthma fighter.

* Garlic and red clover tea for asthma relief.

* Passive smoking worsens asthma attacks.

* Salt rich diets worsen asthma.

* Antioxidants as found in fresh fruits and veggies relieve asthma.

* Junk food - snacks, cakes, cookies, chips, etc. - contribute to childhood allergies and asthma.

* Trans fats involved in asthma.

* Omega-3 fatty acids relieve asthma.

* Drink lots of water; reduce salt intake - improves breathing. Exercise and vitamin C helps.

* Wheezing gone with B-6 and vitamin C...natural antihistamines. --gleaned from Prevention, and other health magazines.

Suzanne

Thank you, Suzanne, for this information. It is interesting to note, though, that many of the foods on the list as being high in the nutrients which asthmatics need, are themselves high on the list of "no-no" foods for many of them. Soy, nuts, wheat, corn and corn syrup, and citrus fruits are fairly high on the allergen list, which is why food companies are often required to label these things specifically for those with allergies. And allergies lead to asthma.

So it seems a bit of a catch-22 for sufferers of asthma. Many of the foods that would be highest in the nutrients they need will do them more harm than good on account of their allergies.

Too bad pills are considered to be "drugs!" A good Vitamin C and Magnesium supplement would be helpful here.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Green Cochoa] #121298
11/05/09 06:58 PM
11/05/09 06:58 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Thanks, Green Cochoa, many times asthmatics and others can tolerate organic foods when they cannot tolerate fruits, veggies and grains that have been sprayed with pesticides and grown with artificial fertilizers. It's probably worth a try to investigate this possibility.

Regarding vitamins and minerals, natural supplements are available and from what I can understand, supplemental minerals--calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, etc. are from natural sources and cannot be artificially synthesized. (Will have to look up the references).

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #121484
11/11/09 10:53 PM
11/11/09 10:53 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Colds, Flu, etc.

My husband has had a cold for the past few days. It seems to be affecting his throat in that he's doing a lot of coughing with nothing coming up--a dry cough. I'm pretty sure it's not the flu because he is able to get up and around. He does have sort of a runny nose.

Anyway, the dry cough was getting quite annoying and we thought for a while that he should perhaps go to the doctor. But on second though I remembered that lemon juice and honey is a natural remedy for coughs and colds. Well, we tried it and it WORKED! Whereas he still has a slight cough, it's nothing like it was. He was able to get some much needed rest and feels 90% better.

I have been taking extra vitamin C and the bioflavonoids to see if I can steer clear of catching his cold. Have been sitting out in the sun too, to get extra vitamin D, which is supposed to help. So far so good. Am feeling great!

Thank the Lord for natural remedies that build up the system and aid in repair and reconstruction.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #121486
11/12/09 12:31 AM
11/12/09 12:31 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Nature's Cough Syrup

A teaspoon of honey is the best remedy for children, a study finds.

Chicago--A teaspoon of honey before bed seems to calm children's coughs and help them sleep better, according to a study that relied on parents' reports of their children's symptoms.

In a 3-way comparison, the folk remedy did better than cough medicine or no tratment. Honey seems to work by coating and soothing an irritated throat, the study's authors said.

"Many families are going to relate to these findings and say that Grandma was right," declares lead author Dr. Ian Paul of Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine.

Federal health advisors have recently warned that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be used in children younger than 6.

Three pediatricians who had read the study said they would tell parents seeking alternative remedies to try honey. They noted that honey should not be given to children under age 1 because of a low but real risk of botulism.

The study researchers recruited 105 children with upper respiratory infections. Parents were give a bag with a dosing device inside. Some were empty. Sone contained an age-appropriate dose of honey-flavored cough medicine containing dextromethorphan. And some contained a similar dose of honey.

The parents were asked about their childrehn's sleep and cough symptoms, once before the bed time treatment and once after. They rated the symptoms on a 7-point scale. All of the children got better, but honey consistently scored best in parents' ratings of their children's cough symptoms. --Source: Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Dec. 2007.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #123362
02/16/10 01:17 AM
02/16/10 01:17 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Scratchy Throat?

A burning, raw, or scratchy throat is common this time of year. Mostly caused by viral infections, sore throats respond well to natural medicine. A recent randomized, double-blind, controlled European study shows that a combination of echinacea and sage in a throat spray is as effective as pharmaceutical drugs, for example.

Approximately 20% of sore throats are caused by strep, a dangerous bacteria, so always get a throat culture if pain lingers. But continue using echinacea, an herb that fights both bacterial and viral infections. --Taste for Life, Jan. 2010.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #123543
02/23/10 12:08 AM
02/23/10 12:08 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Tummyache? Start Moving!

Before you reach for the antacids, you may want to hit the gym. Though exercise may be the last thing on your mind, you'll probably feel much better afterwards, according to researachers at the University of Washington and other institutions. In their study of over 930 obese or overweight men and women, they found that those who exercised the most had the fewest GI problems, such as abdominal pain or diarrhea.

What gives? It may be that by exercising you feel better overall, so you noitice painful GI symptoms less. Or it might be that by exercising, you kick in something physiologically that reduces GI symptoms, says study author Rona Levy, a psychologist. This study examined only overweight people, but the researachers suspect that exercise could also help normal-weight or underweight people with GI problems. --Reader's Digest, Jan. 2006.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #124069
03/15/10 10:41 PM
03/15/10 10:41 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Avoid Gallstones

Regular strenuous exercise can dramatically cut the risk of developing gallstones, according to a study of over 24,500 men and women. Research at a British university found that people who were the most active had a 70% reduced rate of gallstone complaints.

Even those who did moderate amounts of exercise had a lower risk of painful gallstone symptoms than the inactive group. "If everyone was to achieve the impossible and do the same amount of exercise as those in the most active category, gallstones could be reduced by 70%," says Dr. Paul Banim, who headed the study.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #124599
04/06/10 10:42 PM
04/06/10 10:42 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Nervousness and Hand Tremor
Magnesium, the mineral, can improve hand tremor, according to a study of samples of handwriting. A patient signed his name. The signature was completely illegible. Magnesium therapy was started. Four hours later the man signed his name again and the letters were now distinguishable. For test purposes therapy was halted. Twenty-eight hours later the signature was again illegible. Magnesium therapy was resumed and 24 hours later the signature was well formed, the letters clear and legible. Nine days later the handwriting was still legible and normal. --Linda Clark, writing in Get Well Naturally.

Comment: Food sources of magnesium include vegetables, nuts, seeds, blackstrap molasses, bananas, whole grains and legumes (beans). Unfortunately, we have abandoned many of these protective foods in favor of magnesium-deficient junk and fast food.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #124765
04/15/10 10:10 PM
04/15/10 10:10 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Relief for Stuttering

This is from the Los Angeles Times, April 12, 2010:

A retired professor noted that he was a stutterer. He discovered a "cure" for it. He took B-complex vitamins each morning and sailed unimpeded through the day. At lecture time, he took a bit more and floated through his presentation fearlessly.

This is certainly worth a try for those who may have this problem!

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #124777
04/16/10 02:39 PM
04/16/10 02:39 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
How about a natural remedy for hay-fever allergy? I have yet to come across any. I tried eating ragweed pollen but that stuff is nasty tasting and neither helped nor made it worse. Only tried it once or twice, though. Seed formation is the best help, but not something I have control of.

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: kland] #124779
04/16/10 03:20 PM
04/16/10 03:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

The biggest help with hay fever is to avoid foods that you are allergic to during the pollen season. If you do not know what foods those might be, find a specialist who will do an IgG RAST blood test. When allergens (pollens, foods, bee stings, etc.) enter the body at the same time, the immune reaction is multiplied. So if you can eliminate foods that you are sensitive to during that pollen season, you can dramatically reduce (but not eliminate) the hay fever.

Vitamin C is also a natural antihistamine, and can help in some cases. Don't try to get your Vitamin C from oranges if you're allergic to them, though.

Common allergens include:
milk and milk products (whey, calcium/sodium caseinate, casein, cheese, yogurt, milk solids)
legumes, beans, peanuts and nuts
wheat, corn, rye
citrus fruits
black pepper, irritating spices (sometimes "natural flavors")

And, of course, any food can be an allergen, depending on the person. If you don't like visiting the doctor, keep a log of what you eat, and note the response you get within the following eight hours, and if you eat the same food again in less than three days, watch for a response. If you're desperate, eat only plain salted rice for a couple of days (few people ever develop an allergy to rice), then start adding foods back into your diet, one at time, and note the reaction. It is possible with allergies to have an immediate reaction, but often the effect comes about eight hours later.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Green Cochoa] #124858
04/19/10 01:35 PM
04/19/10 01:35 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Interesting thought I hadn't considered. Kind of relates to disease theory where one idea is that outside factors cause disease whereas the other theory (rejected by the moneymakers) says that poor body condition cause disease. I always thought my allergies were caused by a certain pollen. Cedar pollen is bad for me, ragweed is worse. But maybe, just maybe, something else is going on which makes me sensitive to those factors and it is not really the pollen itself?

I once thought it was wheat and so avoided wheat for several days, but it was just as bad. Best help for me is seed formation, but I can't control that. As far as other allergens causing allergies to other things, do you think there could be a possibility that something is causing allergy to those? For instance, with other people, eating sugar and other refined foods may cause such reactions.

And I may just think I'm eating healthy. I thought I was eating vegetarian gelatin in making substitute cheese with Emes gelatin, but then found out it was probably the worst - most likely from pork. So how many other things are we doing which we think is healthy, but really is hurting us?

I'd like a natural remedy for it. A quick fix. But fixing the underlying problem would be better. One area which could be a problem is drinking water. The last several months I've been drinking filtered water (not sure if the charcoal filter filters many things), but wonder if tap water could cause problems with allergies?

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: kland] #124860
04/19/10 02:08 PM
04/19/10 02:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
What about the genetic component of allergies?

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Rosangela] #124864
04/19/10 03:41 PM
04/19/10 03:41 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
People can be predisposed to certain allergies through weaknesses in their genetics, but allergies are developed immune responses and can be acquired at any time during one's life. The most likely times are during illness, when the immune system is actively fighting a disease and is attempting to make its antigens and/or antibodies. It may see the proteins from the foods just eaten as "the enemy," and thus an allergy is formed.

I get hay fever. I have to lay off on certain foods during pollen season. If you're allergic to grass pollens, eating grains (wheat, corn, rye) probably would be contraindicated during grass pollen season. In fact, if you also have allergy to oranges, don't eat them either. I have to avoid milk, soy, citrus, banana and black pepper during pollen season if I want to be more comfortable. Others may not have it so hard as I do. Once, when I was a child, my eyes swelled shut so bad I couldn't see and had to stay home from school for a day or two.

When you deal with allergies, it is often best to rotate the foods so that you don't eat the same one three times a day, and best if you wait three days before eating it again. This gives your body time to flush it out before the next exposure. If you consume several allergens in the same meal or day, once they get into your intestinal tract, the reaction to the allergens is multiplied. I can eat black pepper without much reaction if I don't eat any other allergens with it. If I combine black pepper and banana I will likely break out in hives. Also, different foods may cause different reactions. Strawberries make my eyes sore. Black pepper is the only one that causes hives, it seems, for me. Other allergens generally lower my resistance, or may accentuate my hay fever (itchy eyes, runny nose, sore throat).

Trust me, when it comes to allergies, I'm a man of experience. Fortunately, I have less problems in Asia in this climate and diet than I would where I was raised. So, if all else fails--move! smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Green Cochoa] #124869
04/19/10 05:32 PM
04/19/10 05:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
If you're allergic to grass pollens, eating grains (wheat, corn, rye) probably would be contraindicated during grass pollen season.
When I was talking about eating ragweed pollen, I wasn't saying something totally wild and off the wall. There is a theory that things you eat, your body considers as food and therefore no longer reacts.

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: kland] #124875
04/19/10 11:50 PM
04/19/10 11:50 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Eating something does not remove the allergy. You can be allergic to something that you eat. What you are doing when you eat the pollen is something else called "desensitization." The theory is that if you are exposed to something on an ongoing basis, your immune system will tire of fighting it. When it's too tired to fight it anymore, you have very little reaction. Leave off eating it for a few weeks and try again and you may have a big reaction.

There is another theory out there that if you can keep from being exposed _at all_ (zero contact) to the allergen for a period of some months or years, your immune system will forget. I suppose this is the same concept as that of getting renewed, or "booster" vaccines to refresh the immune system's memory and get up the defenses again, only this time, we want the opposite effect.

When I was a child, I could be stung by a bee without any problem. Later on, I was stung one too many times, and by an especially vicious bee, and my immune system targeted it as "enemy number one." I acquired an allergy to the stings which gave me an anaphylactic reaction. This is the most severe form of an allergy, and can cause death. I had to carry an "AnaKit" with me for several years afterward (a shot of epinephrine) in case I were stung again. However, I zealously avoided bees, and was simply never stung for the next ten years. Then one day I put my hand into a decorative shrub and got stung. I never did see the bee (only its pulsating venom sac and stinger). I wondered if I would react...but my immune system had forgotten. It had been too long since the sting that caused the major allergy.

So, either expose yourself constantly, or not at all. Two opposing theories. It may depend on the type of allergy you are working with and how easy it is to avoid the allergens which determines which strategy you try. Personally, I think exposures to allergens, whether constant or not, lead to later problems like arthritis.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Green Cochoa] #126006
06/23/10 12:34 AM
06/23/10 12:34 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Good-bye Hemorrhoids

This is a first-person account, from Prevention, magazine.

My hemorrhoids were a by-product of a sedentary occupation. "Even though I ingested 3 grams of vitamin C daily, the hemorrhoids persisted. Patent medicines produced only temporary relief, for that is what they are designed to do and no more. Finally, a friend suggest rutin. 500 milligrams of rutin after every meal and 400 I.U. of vitamin E, applied externally, did the trick. The hemorrhoids recessed within 3 weeks and never again resurfaced." --Prevention, May 1979.

Comment: While this may not work for everyone, it is certainly worth a try.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #126150
06/29/10 10:40 PM
06/29/10 10:40 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Kidney Stone Relief

First person account from the Los Angeles Times, June 28, 2010.

Had kidney stones for 6 years. A physician's assistant suggested a small glass of lemon juice right before bedtime. It worked, no more kidney stones. --end of article.

Comment: Always rinse your mouth out after taking lemon juice.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #126152
06/29/10 11:44 PM
06/29/10 11:44 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Re: Goodbye Hemorrhoids

Rutin, is a bioflavonoid, found only in plant food. The best sources are citrus fruits, apricots, cherries, grapes, green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, papayas, cantalopes, buckwheat, etc. Rutin accompanies vitamin C in these products and enhances the benefits of vitamin C...the two work better together.

Rutin can be purchased in supplemental form from the health food store. Well-Being Journal, May/June 2010, points out that caffeine drains the body of the bioflavonoids and vitamin C. It notes that rutin is the strongest of the bioflavonoids for preventing varicose veins and strengthening tissues. It heals hemorrhoids, stops nose bleeds and tightens up varicose veins. Should be used with vitamin C.

A Prevention, article notes that the edible part of an orange has 16 times more bioflavonoids than vitamin C: 1,000 mg bioflavonoids; 60 mg vitamin C in one half orange.

Suzanne

Re: Natural Remedies [Re: Suzanne] #126157
06/30/10 09:58 AM
06/30/10 09:58 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Would that lemon juice in the kidney stone post suffice for the hemorrhoids aswell?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Natural Remedies [Re: vastergotland] #128623
11/04/10 05:22 PM
11/04/10 05:22 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
An Alternative to Antacids

This is from the Los Angeles Times, Nov. 1, 2010:

"I am 68 and have take antacids since I was 16. After reading about people having success with almonds, I tried it. On my first try, I went for 8 days without Nexium just by eating 2 or 3 almonds before meals. Now I need Nexium only after a spicy meal"

Joe Graedon, a pharmacologist and Teresa Graedon an expert in medical anthropology and nutrition gave this answer:

"We don't know why this seems to work, but we have heard from many readers that eating a few almonds right aftr a mal can ward off heartburn. Thanks for letting us know that the almonds may be eaten before the meal as well." --L.A. Times, Nov. 1, 2010.

Suzanne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!