HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The 3 signs of Moses #31912
11/27/02 05:13 AM
11/27/02 05:13 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline OP
Placerville, CA
I am wondering if anyone has any information on the 3 signs of Moses in Exodus 4? Why these three signs and what is the purpose? Any EGW quotations? Thanks

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31913
12/06/02 04:13 AM
12/06/02 04:13 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The three signs of Moses?

That is a new one on me!

I will need to do some research on that one!

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31914
12/06/02 07:22 PM
12/06/02 07:22 PM
G
Placerville, CA
Daryl:
It is in Exodus 4. The three signs are the rod turning into a serpent and then back, Moses hand turned leprous and then back, and the water of the Nile turned into blood. My question is why these signs and why would they appeal to Israel? Do these three signs have anything to do for us today?

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31915
12/06/02 10:13 PM
12/06/02 10:13 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought I would post those verses here on the for everybody to see:

quote:

Exodus 4:1 And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.
2 And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.
3 And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.
4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand:
5 That they may believe that the LORD God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath appeared unto thee.
6 And the LORD said furthermore unto him, Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow.
7 And he said, Put thine hand into thy bosom again. And he put his hand into his bosom again; and plucked it out of his bosom, and, behold, it was turned again as his other flesh.
8 And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe thee, neither hearken to the voice of the first sign, that they will believe the voice of the latter sign.
And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe also these two signs, neither hearken unto thy voice, that thou shalt take of the water of the river, and pour it upon the dry land: and the water which thou takest out of the river shall become blood upon the dry land.

I never thought of them as three signs before. It goes to show that you can always learn new things from the Bible. [Smile]

And, your questions are good and interesting questions.

Now to see if we can find any answers to those questions.

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31916
12/09/02 02:18 AM
12/09/02 02:18 AM
G
Placerville, CA
I was hoping Ed would do a search in the spirit of prophecy and spiritual gifts and story of redemption.

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31917
02/25/03 09:32 PM
02/25/03 09:32 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
When I get a chance, I will do a search on this myself. [Smile]

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31918
03/01/03 04:10 AM
03/01/03 04:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I notice that in this passage, Moses appears to be stating some doubts about something. Looking at Ex.4:1, we see Moses make the statement of trepidation: “Behold; they will not believe me.”

Who was Moses speaking to when he made this statement?

Obviously, he was talking with God here, and having another one of his many debates with God. (or was this not a debate, but something else?).

A brief look at the Biblical context here will give us a broader picture here of what is going on. Moses had asked God a previous question, (Ex.3:13), "What shall I say unto them?" and this was followed by God’s promise to him, of His continuing guidance and protection; but what else did this question by Moses signify?

It appears to be telling us that Moses, by this question, is implying his willingness to go where God was directing; and to inquire for more information from God regarding his assignment

Ex.3: 13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Now, as the passage moves into Ex.4:1-9, we see another side of this story developing. In this first part of chapter four, he appears to be very much opposed to the idea of accepting God’s commission:” Behold, they will not believe me.” Some I have talked with about this passage have tried to defend |Moses by saying things like how Moses really meant to say: “What if the people won’t believe me?” But is this a correct approach to this passage, either in it’s translation, or in it’s explanation?

It is much more likely that since Jacob had gone to Egypt, more than two hundred years earlier, that no divine revelation had been imparted to Israel , by God, and that because doubt as to the validity to Moses’ claims to having received divine revelation/commission, we must go with the wording of the text as it reads: “Behold; they will not believe me.” Moses was simply giving an honest evaluation of the situation. Doubt about his claims to divine revelation/commission, would easily arise; and Moses was seeking more information and direction from God, by that statement.

This leads me to a question though: What is the difference between divine revelation, and divine inspiration; and how does this difference, (if any), relate to prophets of old, as well as to the prophetic office, and claims, of Ellen G White, and her adherents?

Apparently, Moses had received the highest civil and military training available back then, (P.P. pg. 244-45), and he was thus fitted to take preminence, over the great leaders of the land, (P.P., pg.246), but this does not seem like the same kind of person that God called, in the prophetic ministry of Ellen G White. Mrs. White was anything but “preminent,” and “important,” in the society of the 1800s. Why is this an important, distinguishing point to make?

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31919
03/05/03 08:51 PM
03/05/03 08:51 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The SDA Bible Commentary says:

quote:

God provided immediate signs by which He might validate His mission. These three signs were intended to convince the Israelites of the fact that God had appeared to Moses, but served at the same time to strengthen Moses' faith and dissipate his fear of failure. This was to be th evidence that God had called Moses to be the leader of Israel and endowed him with the power to discharge this responsibility.

Both the why and the purpose of the three signs were answered in the above quote.

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31920
03/06/03 01:13 AM
03/06/03 01:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point Daryl, with the above quote.

I believe the rod which Moses had, signified the method God would use to help bring back Israel to repentance; but it also symbolized something else, not as directly related to the general population; but more intended for Moses. This is where each of the 3 signs can apply to us personally; when we look at how they were intended to speak to Moses personally.

Obviously, in Ex.3 – 4, we see Moses being given the divine commission of leading the people out of Egypt. All Moses had in his hand to do this work, was a simple rod. I can just see the look of hesitancy on Moses’ face when God asked him: “What have you got there in your hand?” Moses was probably thinking to himself: “What is He up to now? How can I do even half of what God wants me to with only this rod?”

The other “signs” all stemmed in some way from the rod. Why might this be?

Re: The 3 signs of Moses #31921
03/18/03 08:50 PM
03/18/03 08:50 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I haven't heard from Greg, therefore, I assume his question/s has/have been answered?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!