HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Abba? #31928
04/01/03 04:16 AM
04/01/03 04:16 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
How many times is "Abba" used in the Bible?

What does the word "Abba" mean?

How should it be approached in usage?

Do any of the writings of EGW give us any insight on the use of the word "Abba"?

Re: Abba? #31929
03/31/03 06:54 PM
03/31/03 06:54 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Daryl:

Abba is an Aramaic word that I believe is best translated by "Daddy". I.E. It conotates the close relationship that a small child would have with a kind, protective, and caring Father.

Re: Abba? #31930
03/31/03 11:41 PM
03/31/03 11:41 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I asked the questions while at work.

Now that I am on my home computer, I did a word search of "Abba" and discovered the following in a Bible software program that I have:

quote:

Aramaic/Hebrew for 'father'. [Romans 8:15]
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, ABBA, Father.

There wasn't any mention of the word "Daddy" in the one I found and quoted above.

========

Gregory,

Do you have a reference where it actually refers to Abba as Daddy?

========

Everybody,

What connotation does "Daddy" give to you when using Daddy in relation to God the Father?

My immediate response is that I can't see me referring to Jehovah God as Daddy simply for the fact that it doesn't seem to be respectful of who it is we are addressing.

Re: Abba? #31931
03/31/03 11:56 PM
03/31/03 11:56 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The following Bible texts that uses the word "Abba" may help answer the question on the meaning of the word:

quote:

Mark 14:35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

These are the only times that the word "Abba" is used in the whole Bible.

Re: Abba? #31932
04/04/03 05:53 AM
04/04/03 05:53 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Mark 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Jesus prayer of submition to His Father.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Identifying what relation the Father of Jesus is through Him toward us.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

The replication of the same spirit of submission and dependance within Jesus, now implanted and imparted (nurtured through colaboration with Jesus), in belivers of every century who look to the Father's accepting them in the Beloved.

5 Abba Abba ab-bah’

of Aramaic origin 02 aba; TDNT-1:5,1; n

AV-Abba 3; 3

Abba =" father"

1) father, customary title used of God in prayer. Whenever it occurs in the New Testament it has the Greek interpretation joined to it, that is apparently to be explained by the fact that the Chaldee "ABBA" through frequent use in prayer, gradually acquired the nature of a most sacred proper name, to which the Greek speaking Jews added the name from their own tongue.

5. Abba Abba ab-bah’; of Aramaic origin [02]; father (as a vocative case):—Abba.

(What is the vocative case ? How is it used & what happens to the gist of the communication because of it? )

Abba = 23 SOP hits

Re: Abba? #31933
04/04/03 12:40 PM
04/04/03 12:40 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
I am clearly not an expert in other languages. My coment was based on what I have been told, right or wrong.

I doubt that a search of the Bible will reveal such a meaning. I will suggest that it will be much better to go to a lexicon. While I can check, I don't think I have an Aramaic lexicon what would resolve this question.

As to calling God Daddy: In the time of Christ, most Hebrew people looked on God as much less than friendly. Part of Christ's mission was to present to them a picture of God as a God of love. I suggest that part of this may have been to tell them that God was as loving, kind, and protective as was the ideal human Father.

On a personal basis, I have found comfort, when in trouble, with looking to God as my Daddy.

Re: Abba? #31934
04/05/03 07:01 AM
04/05/03 07:01 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
I have been folowing this discussion, without posting, but,Gregory, I just had to post tonight!

You said that on a personal basis, you found comfort in looking to God as your Daddy. I understand you perfectly!

Don't you believe that when a child is growing up, their image of Father God is their "Daddy." That is the authority figure they know, and they either love, respect,depend on, fear, or in some instances, when abused, even hate him.

Or, perhaps, as in my case, it could be a mixture.
I loved my Dad,and depended on him, (and I never remember him letting me down, or not keeping his word.) But, I sure had a healthy respect for him!

He never hit me, not once, he did not have to. If I was misbehaving, all he had to do was to give me one of those "looks" and maybe call my name.

I wanted to please him, not disappoint him, (although I know just like I have my Heavenly Father, I did disappoint him, especially as I got older.)

When I was 14, I represented my school in a county spelling "bee." My Dad walked several miles,in almost freezing weather to be able to be there. I felt that I just must win that, not because he would be disappointed in me if I did not, but, because he was sitting right up front, cheering me on, with his eyes, and the look on his face. I won the spelling bee.

This reminds me of some of Paul's writings, where he speaks of running the races on earth to receive an earthly prize. Yes, that was an earthly prize, but, the pleasure in my Dad was so obvious, that was all the prize I needed.

I think that is how it is and will be with God. He will be so glad to have us with Him, if we make it. For, Jesus told His Father, I want to have them with me where I am. Our Heavenly Father wants us there, also. The whole Bible makes that clear! If we are not there, it will be only because we did not heed those "looks" and when He has called our names, (and even had to chastise a bit, to get my attention, at times!) And, if we have not, at the same time, realized His love for us.

No, I do not call Him "Daddy," even in prayer, and only a few times when in agony of spirit, have I called Him Abba, Father, in prayer. But, yes, in my mind, He is the "Daddy" I could depend on, the Daddy who wanted the best for me, who cheered me on, and who made me believe I could make it!! But, I made it with my Daddy's help, just as we are told we can with our Heavenly Father..."I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me," And, Jesus did say, "if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father." Or, the character of the Father...

In His Love,
Dora

Re: Abba? #31935
04/05/03 01:30 PM
04/05/03 01:30 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
"Since this Aramaic form is found in rabbinic literature even in Hebrew contexts, it indicates that it was a commonly used colloquialism of a close relationship between children and their father, which in the passages of Biblical prayers is transferred to the relationship between the Christian and his God."

See SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST BIBLE DICTIONARY, REVISED EDITION, COMMENTARY REFERENCE SEERIES, Vol. 8, page 2, "abba"

Note: This defination is specific to the exact wording "abba ho pater" that is found in all of the three NT verses. [Mark 14:36, Romans 8:15 & Gal. 4:6]

This close relatioonship between children and their father seems to support the oen who told me it best meant "daddy".

So, what does it mean to you to know you can call God "daddy"? Dora has already answered taht question.

God is a God of love, and closeness to His children.

Re: Abba? #31936
04/06/03 12:00 AM
04/06/03 12:00 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Personally I will stick with Father...when I think of the word "daddy" it does not seem to have respect for God. To me the word "daddy" is our word for our human father, who for some, fall far short of being anything good to think about. Using the word "daddy" in concection with our Heavenly Father seems to bring God down to our level when we should be brought up to His level. Kinda sends chills down my spine just to type this thinking about calling my Father in Heaven a common name like "daddy".

Re: Abba? #31937
04/06/03 03:38 AM
04/06/03 03:38 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
I understand.

However, in our human life, the word "Father" has more negative conotations among children who experienced a Fatehr in some very negative ways than does the term Daddy.

As to the useage of "Abba", taht is the term that Christ, our example used. As such, that provides Biblical support for us to use it. The critical issue is what did "Abba" mean in the common language of Christ's time. The answer to that is: Daddy.

But, address God witht he term fAther if you desire. That also has Biblical support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!