HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31947
04/17/03 12:45 AM
04/17/03 12:45 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery to go, and sin no more.

quote:

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Can we actually go and sin no more?

In other words, can we actually achieve sinlessness in this life?

Can we find our answer in the Bible on such an important question?

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31948
04/17/03 04:13 AM
04/17/03 04:13 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Daryl,
This is a very good question. Given the case of the adulterous woman could it have been not to go and commit the same sins no more i.e; adultery in her case? During our lifetime as God strengthens our walk in Christ we do not commit (Entrust, Pledge oneself)to our sins that we use to indulge ourselves in, but The Word of God tells us the following:

quote:

1 John 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

quote:

1 John 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

quote:

Phillipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

So it is possible not to commit your same sins that you may have done as in the case of the adulterous woman. This is achieved through Christ who gives us our strength, BUT if you do sin whether it be the same sin or something else we know that Christ who is our advocate will present these sins to the Father and since we believe in Jesus Christ we are forgiven our sins because of the righteouseness we have in Christ Jesus, and we are cleansed by His blood, so basically we cannot achieve a sinless state because in doing so we are deceiving ourselves, calling God a liar and lying to ourselves (another sin). I hope I said this correctly as it is my own understanding of the passages above from the bible.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31949
04/17/03 05:09 PM
04/17/03 05:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Only born again believer can go and sin no more. And we are born again morally perfect. We begin at rebirth where Jesus began at birth. Thus, the promise to go and sin no more includes any and all moral sins. The growth we experience after we are born again involves maturing in the fruits of the Spirit and accumulating spiritual knowledge. But there is no such thing as an unknown moral defective trait of character in the case of people who have been born again.

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31950
04/17/03 06:03 PM
04/17/03 06:03 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess I need to be more specific as by we I mean a born again Christian. Is there truly any other type of Christian?

In other words, can a born again Christian actually achieve sinlessness in this life?

I am hearing a "no" answer from one and a "yes" answer from another. One thing is certain, it can't be both "no" and "yes."

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31951
04/17/03 11:32 PM
04/17/03 11:32 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Daryl & Mike,
In a nutshell. I believe the answer is NO. We cannot achieve a state of sinlessness.. It says so in the bible. If we do not sin anymore is there any need of repentance? Has anyone here not commited a sin since they were born again? Go back 3 years, 3 months and think hard if you ever beeped out what you really thought of the person who cut you off on the road. I am a sinner and have Christ in my life and the sins that I use to commit (or commit to) I do not do anymore since we can do all things through Christ Jesus, but every now and then I find myself dealing with people or situations that I fall into sin i.e; A telemarketer called up asking if the man of the house was home and I said no.. The person you are speaking to is the house sitter.. I basically lied to her and actually felt bad for doing it, but I was not in the mood to deal with anyone, and I prayed and asked for forgiveness because I am weak. So in thinking that you cannot sin anymore period I think is impossible because I do not know of anyone who can make such a claim that is on this earth. If you do know someone then please let us all know.
quote:
1 John 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Anyways I do not now of any SDA that can make such a claim. I am one and will not lie when I say that I am a sinner, but saved by the grace of God and the blood of Jesus Christ the Son of God who is risen and is on the right hand side of the father.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31952
04/18/03 01:21 AM
04/18/03 01:21 AM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
We read in the Sabbath School Lesson this week about forgiveness. But, we first must humble ourselves and repent.

You have asked for references from the bible...

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

3528 nikao {nik-ah'-o}
from 3529; TDNT - 4:942,634; v
AV - overcome 24, conquer 2, prevail 1, get the victory 1; 28
1) to conquer 1a) to carry off the victory, come off victorious 1a1) of Christ, victorious over all His foes 1a2) of Christians, that hold fast their faith even unto death against the power of their foes, and temptations and persecutions 1a3) when one is arraigned or goes to law, to win the case, maintain one's cause

I will also offer a couple of quotes from the SOP.....

Maranatha, p. 224
"Everyone who through by faith in Christ obeys all of God's commandments, will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression."

The Paulson Collection of Ellen G. White Letters
-PG- 120

"To the forerunner of Christ was given the message, "Repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." The work of the herald of Christ was a continuous effort to destroy the popular delusion
concerning the coming Messiah, and to show that repentance and forsaking of sin are necessary preparations for the coming kingdom. This work constituted the preparation for the establishment of the true church."

Remember....."By Faith"....."I can do all things through Jesus Christ who Strengthens me"

If we can't over come, then Satan wins and we are saying Satan is stronger than our Saviour, and we know that is not true.

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31953
04/18/03 04:18 AM
04/18/03 04:18 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
During our walk with Christ He gives us the strength to overcome which is sanctification. It is a process that occurrs daily as the Holy Spirit convicts us of any wrong doings we may do to someone else either outwardly or in our thoughts which is why we should confess,repent, and ask for forgiveness. We know that our sins will be forgiven. I would like to know if anyone here can say that he or she has achieved a state of sinlessness? Isn't our perfection achieved and made complete when Christ comes? I would like some thoughts on this, and responses to anyone who has achieved a sinless state.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31954
04/18/03 04:28 AM
04/18/03 04:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will, how do you reconcile 1 John 1:8-10 and 1 John 3:9? And another question - If God is incapable of empowering us to live without sinning, then what is He waiting for, why not eliminate sin and sinners and end the great controversy right now? or better yet, 6,000 years ago?

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31955
04/18/03 04:46 AM
04/18/03 04:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Of the Spirit Jesus said, "He shall glorify Me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of His love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing His grace to the world. The very image of God is to be reproduced in humanity. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. {DA 671.3}

2. Conflict and Courage, page 110, paragraph 4
God has made ample provision for His people; and if they rely upon His strength, they will never become the sport of circumstances. The strongest temptation cannot excuse sin. However great the pressure brought to bear upon the soul, transgression is our own act. It is not in the power of earth or hell to compel anyone to do evil. Satan attacks us at our weak points, but we need not be overcome. However severe or unexpected the as-sault, God has provided help for us, and in His strength we may conquer.

3. The Desire of Ages, page 311, paragraph 3
The tempter's agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God.

4. Reflecting Christ, page 291, paragraph 4
As the sacrifice in our behalf was complete, so our restoration from the defilement of sin is to be complete. There is no act of wickedness that the law will excuse; there is no unrighteousness that will escape its condemnation. The life of Christ was a perfect ful-fillment of every precept of the law. He said, "I have kept my Father's commandments" (John 15:10). His life is our standard of obedience and service.

5. The Signs of the Times, June 5, 1884, paragraph 12
There is no excuse for continuing in sin. No man is obliged to do evil, and be lost. Every one who perishes destroys his own soul. The provisions of grace are ample. Jesus is pleading in our behalf, and there is mercy for even the most guilty and sinful. Let us take hold of the strength of Jesus. He loves us with a love that is inexpressible; let us respond to that love.

6. The Watchman, February 4, 1908, paragraph 6
But by faith and prayer all may meet the requirements of the gospel. No man can be forced to transgress God's holy law. Temptation, however strong, is no excuse for sin; for divine grace is sufficient for us, and "the Lord's eyes are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers."

7. Manuscript Releases Volume Nine, page 233, paragraph 3
There is no excuse for man to remain in transgression and sin, because strength has been provided for him in Jesus, that he may overcome. The God of heaven Himself is working by His Spirit.

8. Manuscript Releases Volume Eighteen, page 144, paragraph 2
Let no one excuse his sin by saying, "It will not matter; it is only a little thing." That sin, small though it may seem to you, may cause the loss of a soul.

9. The Kress Collection, page 32, paragraph 1
The perfection of Christian character is attainable. As we approach the close of this earth's history, we will find that the whole world is becoming a lazar house of disease. The transgression of the law of God is bringing the sure result.

10. Sermons and Talks Volume Two, page 294, paragraph 3
Without perfection of character no one can enter the pearly gates of the city of God, for if, with all our imperfections, we were permitted to enter that city, there would soon be in heaven a second rebellion. We must first be tried and chosen, and found faithful and true. Upon the purification of our character rests our only hope of eternal life.

11. Sermons and Talks Volume One, page 247, paragraph 2
The law cannot save you, but it is the standard of character, and to represent the character of Jesus Christ you must live the law, for He lived the law in our world. Paul says, "I have taught them from house, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (See Acts 20:20,21.) This is the way. We behold Him for the perfection of His character and then we see the defects in our own character. Do you stand before God and say, "Cleanse us and change us"? You should flee to Jesus Christ and lay hold of the divine merits of the Son of God, and then you are washed from the defilements and stains of sin. There is not a stain in the character because God is enthroned in the heart and Christ does not war against Christ. Christ does not war against the Father. "I and the Father are one." He was in the express image of the Father's person, and we want to express the character of Jesus Christ.

12. The Signs of the Times, September 3, 1902, paragraph 1
The ethics inculcated by the Gospel acknowledge no standard but the perfection of God's mind, God's will. God requires from His creatures conformity to His will. Imperfection of character is sin, and sin is the transgression of the law. All righteous attributes of charac-ter dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole. Every one who receives Christ as his personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. This it the science of holiness.

13. Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, January 2, 1913, paragraph 8
The converting power of God must be upon our hearts. We must study the life of Christ, and imitate the divine Pattern. We must dwell upon the perfection of his character, and be changed into his image. No one will enter the kingdom of God unless his passions are subdued, unless his will is brought into captivity to the will of Christ.

14. Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, September 19, 1912, paragraph 8
None need fail of attaining, in his sphere, to perfection of Christian character. By the sacrifice of Christ, provision has been made for the believer to receive all things that pertain to life and godliness. God calls upon us to reach the standard of perfection, and places before us the example of Christ's character. In his humanity, perfected by a life of constant resistance of evil, the Saviour showed that through cooperation with divinity human beings may in this life attain to perfection of a character. This is God's assurance to us that we too may obtain complete victory.

15. Sons and Daughters of God, page 154, paragraph 3
Our work is to strive to attain in our sphere of action the perfection that Christ in His life on the earth attained in every phase of character.

Re: Can We Actually Go And Sin No More? #31956
04/18/03 06:38 AM
04/18/03 06:38 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Mike,
I will explain as best I could
1 John 8-10 states it quite clearly that we are in need of Christ to cleanse us and fogive our sins. We cannot ever say that we are without sin since in doing so we deceive ourselves and make God out to be a liar. Throughout the bible God shows His love for us and He acknowledges our sins if we confess them and ask for repentance.
1 John 3:9 points to those who are Christians and do not habitually sin and such behavior is not in their character i.e; If you had a problem with theft, and accepted Christ and you confessed your sins and asked for forgiveness and repented of those sins you are forgiven of those sins, and throughout your walk with Christ He will give you the strength to overcome those temptations. It is not that we are perfect in the sense that we comprehend perfection. Gods work in us is perfect because He builds us up and this is an ongoing process until the day we die. These passages point to the fact that the love of God will enable us to not be habitual sinners, but if you go and lie to someone (as in my case) technically I am guilty of breaking all the commandments, so I need to ask for forgiveness and repent. The Lord is patient and long suffering, and if I mess up again and ask Him to forgive me He will.. He loves us! I am not perfect and do not claim to be. As time progresses you begin to basically hate the things you use to do, and actually begin to get a sense of your weaknesses and ask God to give you that strength, and He will strengthen you, but if you mess up then guess what...Get on your knees and ask for forgiveness. Claiming to be without sin means that you are as holy as God, and I think we are quite far from that because if that is the case then who here needs to be saved? I know I do.
If God was incapable of even taking away our sins then what are we doing accepting Christ as our Lord and Savior? I am a witness to the power of Christ in my life as all of us are because God leads us to repentance, and gives us the opportunity to accept Christ and gives us a chance and knows our weak frame.
quote:

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Why doesnt God end the great contreversy right now.. Excellent question and I definitely can only think that the Word of God is fulfilled completely, so the Word of God needs to be preached to every nation,tribe and tongue, and there will be a series of events occurring prior to His coming. There are 2 situations running in parallel
1. The world is basically going downhill really fast.
2. The word of God is being preached around the world by either missionaries, shortwave radio, satellite, books, you name it Gods work is being completed.
quote:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Now what happens if one who is sinless actually sins? That in itself is a paradox because if you are sinless then you are incapable of sinning, and in doing so you are claiming to be like God, and if you claim to be like God then I would suggest re-assessing the situation and ask The Lord for guidance because He loves us and does not want any one of us to be deceived or perish even though some will because they have not accepted Christ in their lives, and by loving God you will obey His law, but if you break 1 of the commandments then by the very definition and purpose of Christ coming to die for our sins and cleansing us we know we have an Advocate in heaven who intercedes on our behalf! [Smile]
Wasn't the first lie that satan told Eve
quote:

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

This is the very same nature of claiming to live a life of sinlessness (without sin) No one can do that. Its in the bible its not my own opinion, and the bible interprets itself, and it clearly states that this state is not something we can do. We can go on and sin no more in the sense of not habitually commiting the same sin over and over and over and forgetting about it and live in sin, but through Christ He will help us overcome those sins, but we will not be sinless...That my friend will be achieved when we are with God at the second coming of Jesus Christ. I really like discussing these topics by the way because I find that I am learning things as well and we build eachother up:)

God Bless,
Will

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!