HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What Is True Worship Of God? #33450
07/13/00 06:31 PM
07/13/00 06:31 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Mark, chapt.5, vs.1-5 tells us about a possessed maniac who was running at Jesus after cutting and abusing himself in a nearby grave yard.

While coming at Jesus in full fashion; he yelled: "What have I to do with Thee, Jesus; thou Son of the Most High God." (vs.7).

The catch is in vs. 6, when Mark says: "...he...worshipped Him."

In this act of running like a madman, and yelling this question to Jesus, the man "worshipped Him."

How can this be called "worship?"

What does it mean for us today?

Isn't "worship" when you are all quiet and holy, saying your prayers and singing hymns at church?

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33451
07/13/00 09:02 PM
07/13/00 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

The Greek word for worship is proskineo, Pros=toward; kineo=kiss. Its literal meaning is "to kiss towards." Perhaps the demoniac was "giving honor to" Christ. Mark recorded that act as worship.

A good example of worship is what takes place in Revelation 4 and 5. All of creation is present; everyone has their role and everyone proskineos (if that is a word) God and the Lamb (who also have the 7 spirits of God with them).

Worship is the final issue in the Last Days (Rev. 14). In the great scene in heaven it would be unconscionable for one of the 4 living creature to be absent and give an excuse of "I was there on another day--every day is alike!"

God created us to worship Him and worship Him in the proper day and proper place.
How we do this is the question. I don't need to pontificate any longer. What are other people's ideas of how we can worship God? Is there any critera that can be used for something that God would bless? Is serving others a form of worship? Can we worship today like perscribed in Psalms 149 and 150?

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

[This message has been edited by A. Marttinen (edited July 13, 2000).]

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33452
07/14/00 06:18 PM
07/14/00 06:18 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

A number of times I have sat in the car with Alfie and asked him on our way home from Sabbath morning 'Worship Servce' if what we just exprienced was worshipping God in Spirit and in Truth. I have never received a positive answer from him.
I most certainly want to bring the best to our God worship. The sacrifice of praise to God from my lips, the sacrifice of loving help for the brethern, the sacrifice of submiting my mind in a willingness to absorb new truth and put it into practice or the sacrifice of my will to submerge into his Will.
<<<<<<<<Joan>>>>>>>>

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33453
07/21/00 02:54 AM
07/21/00 02:54 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
You could ask 10 people what true worship is and get 20 different answers.

We should look at The Book for the answer we are seeking.

It is late, I am happy we are back online, but I need sleep, so will post another time more.
God bless, and welcome 'home', a little of the home we have waiting for us.

------------------
Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?

Gerry B.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited July 20, 2000).]

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33454
07/21/00 10:15 AM
07/21/00 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hello A. Marttinen

Two quick questions:

1) What do you mean by "pontificate?"

2) Can you offer some reason, from the Bible, why or how this text in Mark is called "worship?"

I'm not so much trying to explore a definition of the word worship, as I am the meaning of this particular text in Mark that I have referred to above.

It's 4 am Calgary time, and I just got home from work! I'll visit again soon!

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33455
07/21/00 12:15 PM
07/21/00 12:15 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
In Mark it says 'he ran and worshipped Him',
verse 6--- verse 7 asaks the question, the inference being he had already come to Him and was asking Him what they ( those that possessed him) had to do with Him.

Matthew has the same confrontation in chapter 8 verses 28-34.

In his versionmof the meeting, there were 2 demoniacs and no mention of worship was made.

Strongs says the word translated 'worship' is proskuneo(pros-koo-neh'-o)(mean: to kiss, like a dog licking his masters hand.)to fawn or crouch to, i.e.(lit.or fig.)prostrate oneself in homage (do reverence,to adore):-worship

Sounds more to me like the demoniac was trying to act like a dog attempting to obtain something from it's master ( better).

------------------
Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?

Gerry B.

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33456
07/22/00 03:41 AM
07/22/00 03:41 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

This text in Mark 5 does seem to indicate that the demoniacs had been, in their own demented way, trying to show honour or respect to Jesus.

With the plethora of crazy spiritual warfare & deliverance ministry we see around us today; it does behoove us to closely examine this kind of passage to see what Jesus is trying to say to His people through this Bible passage.

Let us start with a short passage from Desire Of Ages: (pg.337-338)

“With authority, He bade the unclean spirits come out of them. His Words penetrated the darkened minds of the unfortunate men. They realized dimly that the One was near Who could save them from the tormenting demons.

They fell at the Savior’s feet to worship Him; but when their lips were opened, to entreat His mercy; the demons spoke through them, crying vehemently: ‘What have I to do with Thee, Jesus, Thou Son Of God Most High?

I beseech Thee, torment me not.’

“What have I to do with Thee?” This saying also appears in other texts like 2 Sam.16:10, and 19:22. It could be translated as: “What do we have in common?”

“Torment me not” This could be translated as “mind your own business.”

These demons sensed that they were about to be punished, and they used the strongest basis for an oath that they could muster; even though an appeal to God by them was quite ironic.

The really important thing to realize here is that Jesus read the unspoken cry of the heart. Sometimes in our squalor of sin and degradation; we are not capable of uttering what we really mean inside; and to all outward appearances, we are rude crude and generally up to no good. But Jesus, in His great wisdom knows where we are really at, or where that irritating person who you stay away from is at; and he reads the inner longings that rest in the minds of all those whom we see no potential in at all...

The end result being that the power of Jesus is greater than all the hosts of hell, (Rom.5:20), and sometimes we need to get off of our spiritual stilts as EG White puts it, and recognize Christ’s potential in a soul for whom we see no hope. (Luke 18:27).

------------------

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33457
07/24/00 01:13 AM
07/24/00 01:13 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I love Desire of Ages. It is certainly my favorite SOP book. We have to realize, as EGW points out, that we are dealing with a dual personality here, in a sense. The man, and the demons inside him. The man worshipped, the demons spoke. The worship here referred to was the act of casting himself in surrender at Jesus feet. The man desired healing. He knew Jesus was the source of healing and so he came, tortured and broken and threw himself on the Mercy seat. An act of worship; true worship. If we all came to Christ in that same spirit of surrender, of realizing we are poisoned and in need of healing, we wouldn't have to discuss worship styles.

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33458
07/24/00 02:18 PM
07/24/00 02:18 PM
M
Michael  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Amen, Brother Wilson, Amen.

Bible in, Christ out, true worship will follow.

God Bless

Re: What Is True Worship Of God? #33459
07/26/00 02:19 PM
07/26/00 02:19 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

The demoniacts acted on their faith as best they could . They unlike the unrepentant religious leaders came, fell down on their faces, tried their best under their very discouraging circumstances and Jesus supplied them with more than they hoped for.

What if I acted on my faith, fell on my face before Him, tried my best under all circumstances, and cried unto Him from my heart, do you think He might do more than I hope for ? Type "true worship" into any good SOP data base, the results are suprising. Our prayers and forms are considered secondary add on's.

If I am still a demoniac then all I can do is what they did . If I have more to bring, my worship grows beyond such simplicity or does it ? Do multiplied forms really constitute "true worship" ? I will leave it to you to word search that in Bible & SOP. I often spoon feed too much, instead of sparking intrests and suggesting good directions to go in.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!