HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Worship & Clothing #33492
08/10/00 05:45 PM
08/10/00 05:45 PM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
I saved a copy of a post I made on the Adventists Online forum before it was closed. The topic of that thread was jewelry. Here it is, exactly as I posted it there:

When I first joined the Adventist church as an adult 24 years ago, I stopped wearing jewelry because I was told I would not be accepted for membership unless I did. At that time I was not convicted that the Bible passages generally used by the church to show that jewelry is forbidden really meant that, but only that we were to place a higher priority on the adornment of our character rather than our bodies. However, it was no great sacrifice to me to stop wearing jewelry, and I complied with more of a determination that I did not want to be a stumbling block to the children of the church whose parents were teaching them that it was wrong.

However, at that time I continued to camouflaged my feelings of insecurity and worthlessness with make-up (though I did not use a lot of make-up, I did stand out as being the only one there who wore lipstick) and immodest clothing. Not one of those dear brethren ever said a word to me about those things, for fear of driving me out of the church. How I wish all Adventists everywhere would be so careful of the feelings of the babes in Christ who enter our membership!

As time passed and God changed me on the inside, my clothing tastes changed and the make-up and immodest clothing changed as well, without my ever being aware of any conviction in that direction until much later. In the years since, my heavenly Father has proven to be my most faithful Friend. He has loved me without fail and blessed me abundantly in so many ways. Even the most difficult experiences of my life have become the greatest blessings as He has worked in them to teach me about myself and Himself.

I no longer wear jewelry of any kind, including pins, which in the early days of the church were used to fasten women’s collars, but are now nothing more than ornaments, the same as any other jewelry, but my reasons have changed. God has made it clear enough what He thinks of jewelry, through the Bible and the inspired writings of Ellen White, and it isn't really relevant to me whether it has anything to do with my salvation. My dearest Friend and constant Companion has told me that He would prefer I not use it, and that is all that really matters to me.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Worship & Clothing #33493
09/22/00 12:40 AM
09/22/00 12:40 AM
D
Dennis Crabbe  Offline
Canada
After adding comments to the SS lesson, I decided tonight to visit a few more topics and see what's being talked about. I read all the comments here and appreciate very much the witness you are being on this web site. Good topic. Excellent quotes. Balanced and loving comments. And how I wish I knew all of you personally! I appreciate so much the ministry you are doing.

Re: Worship & Clothing #33494
09/22/00 01:14 AM
09/22/00 01:14 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome Dennis to this other forum of Maritime SDA OnLine.

I received your email, and, as I emailed back to you, your post did take. In fact, you posted it three times. I deleted the last two of them.

As I said in my email, you, as a member of MSDAOL, are also a part of this ministry.

Feel free to participate on the various forums of MSDAOL.

-----------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl

Re: Worship & Clothing #33495
10/04/00 08:30 AM
10/04/00 08:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been having a bit of a guffaw over this thread. I think I'll quietly wear a robe to church this Sabbath, and see what happens.

I'll never forget the time shortly after I joined the church, one of the men in my church at the time, photo-copied a page from Selected messages about how to dress at church on Sabbath; and he took a 3" spike and nailed the page to the door of my apartment! You should have seen the mess this made of the door!

And all because he didn't like my bright red pants. But, at that time; this was my very best outfit; and I thought it was the most respectful way I could dress.

------------------
"God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Tim.1:7).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Worship & Clothing #33496
10/04/00 08:37 AM
10/04/00 08:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote by Linda

"Please note that it states "tender, loving instruction." Babies drink milk. They don't eat meat until they have grown some teeth. Most new converts are unlikely to be ready for all of the dress reform message at once."

In a nutshell; what exactly is the dress reform message? Can you sum it up in one sentence?

------------------
"God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Tim.1:7).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Worship & Clothing #33497
10/04/00 12:10 PM
10/04/00 12:10 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
No, I can't sum it up in one sentence, but, I can share this story I posted in the fellowship forum.

Maybe we need to step back and think about this for a while.

I saw him in the church building for the first time on Wednesday. He was in his mid-70s, with thinning hair and a neat brown suit.
Many times in the past I had invited him to come. Several other Christian friends had talked to him about the Lord and had tried to share the good news with him.
He was a well-respected, honest man with so many of the characteristics a Christian should have; but he had never put on Christ.

"Have you ever been to a church service in your life?" I asked him several years ago. We had just finished a pleasant day of visiting and talking.
He hesitated. Then, with a bitter smile, he told me of a childhood experience over sixty years ago.
He was one of many children in a large, impoverished family. His parents had struggled to provide food, with little left for housing and clothing.
When he was about ten, some neighbors had invited him to worship with them. The Bible class had been very exciting. He had never heard such songs and stories before. He had never even heard anyone read from the Bible. After class was over, the teacher took him aside and said, "Son, please don't come again dressed as you are now. We want to look our best when we come to worship the Lord."
He stood in his ragged, un-patched overalls, looked at his dirty, bare feet, and said, "No, Ma'am, I won't, ever."
"And I never did," he said, abruptly ending our conversation.
There must have been other factors to have hardened him so, but this experience formed a significant part of the bitterness in his heart.
I'm sure that Bible teacher meant well. But what if she had really understood the love of Christ?
What if she had studied and accepted the teachings found in the second chapter of James?
What if she had put her arms around that dirty, ragged little boy and said, "Son, I am so glad you are here, and I hope you will come every chance you get to hear more about Jesus?"
I reflected on the awesome responsibility a teacher has to welcome little ones in His name. How far-reaching her influence is!
I prayed that I might ever be open to the tenderness of a child's heart, and that I might never fail to see beyond the appearance and behavior of a child to the eternal possibilities within.
Yes, I saw him in the church house for the first time Wednesday.
And as I looked at that immaculately dressed old gentleman lying in his casket, I thought of the little boy of long ago.
I could almost hear him say, "No, Ma'am, I won't, ever." And I wept.
Thanks to Bill Dorman chaplain@bdadvertising.com

He said it a lot better than I can.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: Worship & Clothing #33498
10/04/00 01:57 PM
10/04/00 01:57 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
No, David, I can't sum up dress reform in one sentence. The Bible doesn't and the SOP doesn't. What I compiled and wrote about dress reform prints out on 125, size 8 1/2X11, pages. When the sections on speech and deportment are added in, the whole manuscript is over 500 pages. (So you see, I have lots of material yet that I haven't posted.)

Dress reform has two facets-- one deals with health reform, the other deals with spirituality. The first deals with dressing properly for the seasons and protecting the body from adverse conditions. The second deals with following fashion and bowing to the god of fashion. Both deal with modesty and God's commands. And they both are so interspersed that they cannot be completely separated.

One reason that I don't put more on the forum is because of the illustrations that are necessary for people to understand properly what is being referred to. How many people today would know what a pannier is? If you had lived in the 18th and 19th centuries you would have known, but today it takes an illustration to properly know what it is. (It was a kind of bustle.) Then the counsels must be fitted to today's fashions and customs. I am willing to send the manuscript by email attachment to anyone who asks for it. However it is in Word Perfect and would probably not print properly from another program, especially with the graphics.

One other point, this topic is about Sabbath dress and I was posting only what pertained to this particular topic.

And Gerry, I still like the story, sad as it is.

------------------

Re: Worship & Clothing #33499
12/18/00 02:34 AM
12/18/00 02:34 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:
"It is a dishonor to the Sabbath, and to God and his house, for those who profess that the Sabbath is the holy of the Lord, and honorable, to wear the same clothing upon the Sabbath that they have worn through the week while laboring upon their farms, when they can obtain other. " (2SM 474:2).

So what does the above quote mean to us today?

It seems to be telling me that we should wear our best in the sanctuary of the Lord our God.

To me, that means wearing at least a shirt and a tie instead of casual wear unless that is the best we have to wear.

I have seen people wear what seemed to be their best one week and then something that didn't compare to what they wore previously the following week.

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited December 17, 2000).]

Re: Worship & Clothing #33500
12/18/00 09:15 AM
12/18/00 09:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brother Daryl

I think I see the point you are trying to make; and it is a good one.

I have severe burns to large areas of my body; and especially the neck and upper trunk areas. The tie (rope around my neck), really bothers the contractures on my neck area.

I try to wear a tie; but it often comes off before the church service is over. I do make sure that what I wear is descent looking; and I keep my sabbath clothes separate from the stuff I wear the rest of the week.

You wouldn't believe the nightmares of guilt that I have had imposed on me because of this issue.

Atleast I don't wear the red pants anymore! (or the diamond ear ring!).

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Worship & Clothing #33501
12/18/00 09:03 PM
12/18/00 09:03 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I do have one interesting question.

Where did the wearing of the tie come from in the first place?

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!