HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Daryl] #89725
06/09/07 11:30 PM
06/09/07 11:30 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Here is a clear quote in relation to the dress reform, which also speaks about the pants part of this reform dress:
 Quote:

The Reform Dress.--The reform dress, which was once advocated, [THE "REFORM DRESS" ADVOCATED AND ADOPTED IN THE 1860'S WAS DESIGNED BY A GROUP OF SDA WOMEN IN AN ATTEMPT TO PROVIDE A HEALTHFUL, MODEST, COMFORTABLE, AND NEAT ATTIRE IN HARMONY WITH THE LIGHT GIVEN ELLEN WHITE, WHICH WAS MUCH NEEDED AT THE TIME. SEE PP. 252-255. IT CALLED FOR LOOSE-FITTING GARMENTS HUNG FROM THE SHOULDERS WITH A HEMLINE ABOUT NINE INCHES FROM THE FLOOR. THE LOWER LIMBS WERE CLOTHED WITH A TROUSERLIKE GARMENT PROVIDING COMFORT AND WARMTH. SEE STORY OF OUR HEALTH MESSAGE, PP. 112-130.--COMPILERS.] proved a battle at every step. Members of the church, refusing to adopt this healthful style of dress, caused dissension and discord. With some there was no uniformity and taste in the preparation of the dress as it had been plainly set before them. This was food for talk. The result was that the objectionable features, the pants, were left off. The burden of advocating the reform dress was removed because that which was given as a blessing was turned into a curse. {3SM 253.2}

It seems like there was quite a stir over the wearing of the pants part of the reform dress back then. There definitely isn't such a stir about this today!

I think it would create the same stir today, Daryl, if women wore the same kind of pants, under dresses as they did then. Again, in that quote, the pants were worn for "comfort and warmth". Today, when it is cold, we have "leggins", which are very warm and comfortable, and they serve the same purpose as did the pants under the dresses then.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89730
06/10/07 05:27 AM
06/10/07 05:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
 Originally Posted By: asygo
Did women wear short sleeves back then?
You know, Arnold, I have never seen a picture of women back then with short sleeves...but...there is so much counsel about covering the limbs for protection from the cold and chilliness, that it makes me wonder, "Why would there have been the need for all this counsel if the women were wearing long sleeves?" And I did post that quote about a book that EGW read as a child that had a picture of a little girl with short sleeves...so if they made clothes for children with short sleeves, I would imagine they also made adult clothes with short sleeves. But, that is all speculation, as I really don't know. Do you know?

I don't know. I just realized that I have never seen pictures of adult women wearing short sleeves. So I wondered if anyone has any info.

But even if children wore short sleeves, that doesn't say anything about adults. There are suits for little boys that come with short pants, but I have never seen an adult wear one.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89733
06/10/07 06:48 AM
06/10/07 06:48 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
I think you are adding the part about "the dangerous UV rays in the summer". I only see where she says that the long sleeves protects from "chilling", which would imply winter and cold weather.
So it is the letter of her instruction that is important, no matter what the principal behind it might be? Interesting.

Of course not...but in ALL the quotes I could find, not ONE of them mention dressing the limbs because of HEAT...rather it is the opposite...it is because of the COLD...

We should adhere to the principle, not twist the principle...
And if Ellen had lived in a time when people where aware that such a thing as UV light existed, would she then have mentioned it?

I don't know...I doubt there was near the problem in her day as in our day, because there were not near as many people exposing so much of their body to the sun. Even the world was a whole lot more modest. Imagine what the beach looked like in her day, compared to our day?
But much more people where exposed to the sun through farm work. And in todays world, protection from the sun is most certainly a health issue as people are dying from skin cancers.

But you made more than clear that the health aspect of dress reform limmits itself to keeping warm in cold weather so I guess it is pointless to further discuss this. Meanwhile, the world is moving on...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: asygo] #89734
06/10/07 09:30 AM
06/10/07 09:30 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Did women wear short sleeves back then?
You know, Arnold, I have never seen a picture of women back then with short sleeves...but...there is so much counsel about covering the limbs for protection from the cold and chilliness, that it makes me wonder, "Why would there have been the need for all this counsel if the women were wearing long sleeves?" And I did post that quote about a book that EGW read as a child that had a picture of a little girl with short sleeves...so if they made clothes for children with short sleeves, I would imagine they also made adult clothes with short sleeves. But, that is all speculation, as I really don't know. Do you know?

I don't know. I just realized that I have never seen pictures of adult women wearing short sleeves. So I wondered if anyone has any info.

But even if children wore short sleeves, that doesn't say anything about adults. There are suits for little boys that come with short pants, but I have never seen an adult wear one.

That is true about suits with shorts for little boys... You may be right...I've never seen a picture of adult women with short sleeves either....but why then, would all the counsel be for covering the limbs?

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89735
06/10/07 09:40 AM
06/10/07 09:40 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
I did search for "bare arms" and found this statement...
 Quote:
The Medical Reporter, under the caption of "Dress of Children," has the following lucid and pointed remarks:-- {HR, January 1, 1872 par. 1}
"THE CHIEF CAUSE OF INFANTILE MORTALITY IS NOT MORE THE WEATHER OR FOUL AIR THAN THE IGNORANCE AND FALSE PRIDE OF THE MOTHERS. CHILDREN ARE KILLED BY THE MANNER IN WHICH THEY ARE DRESSED, AND BY THE FOOD THAT IS GIVEN THEM, AS MUCH AS BY ANY OTHER CAUSES. INFANTS OF THE MOST TENDER AGE, IN OUR CHANGEABLE AND ROUGH CLIMATE, ARE LEFT WITH BARE ARMS AND LEGS AND WITH LOW-NECKED DRESSES.THE MOTHERS, IN THE SAME DRESS, WOULD SHIVER AND SUFFER WITH COLD, AND EXPECT A FIT OF SICKNESS AS THE RESULT OF THEIR CULPABLE CARELESSNESS. AND YET THE MOTHERS COULD ENDURE SUCH A TREATMENT WITH FAR LESS DANGER TO HEALTH AND LIFE THAN THEIR TENDER INFANTS. {HR, January 1, 1872 par. 2}
"A MOMENT'S REFLECTION WILL INDICATE THE EFFECTS OF THIS MODE OF DRESSING, OR WANT OF DRESSING, ON THE CHILD. THE MOMENT THE COLD AIR STRIKES THE BARE ARMS AND LEGS OF THE CHILD, THE BLOOD IS DRIVEN FROM THESE EXTREMITIES TO THE INTERNAL AND MORE VITAL ORGANS OF THE BODY. THE RESULT IS CONGESTION, TO A GREATER OR LESS EXTENT, OF THESE ORGANS. IN WARM WEATHER THE EFFECT WILL BE CONGESTION OF THE BOWELS, CAUSING DIARRHEA, DYSENTERY, OR CHOLERA INFANTUM. WE THINK THIS MODE OF DRESSING MUST BE RECKONED AS ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT CAUSES OF SUMMER COMPLAINTS, SO CALLED. IN COLDER WEATHER, CONGESTION AND INFLAMMATION OF THE LUNGS, CONGESTION AND INFLAMMATION OF THE BRAIN, CONVULSIONS, ETC., WILL RESULT. AT ALL SEASONS, CONGESTION, MORE OR LESS IS CAUSED, THE DEFINITE EFFECTS DEPENDING UPON THE CONSTITUTION OF THE CHILD, THE WEATHER, AND VARIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES. {HR, January 1, 1872 par. 3}
"IT IS PAINFUL, EXTREMELY SO, TO ANY ONE WHO REFLECTS UPON THE SUBJECT, TO SEE CHILDREN THUS DECKED LIKE VICTIMS FOR SACRIFICE, TO GRATIFY THE INSANE PRIDE OF FOOLISH MOTHERS. OUR MOST EARNEST ADVICE TO ALL MOTHERS IS TO DRESS THE LEGS AND ARMS OF THEIR CHILDREN WARMLY AT ALL EVENTS. IT WOULD BE INFINITELY LESS DANGEROUS TO LIFE AND HEALTH TO LEAVE THEIR BODIES UNCOVERED, THAN TO LEAVE THEIR ARMS AND LEGS AS BARE AS IS THE COMMON CUSTOM." {HR, January 1, 1872 par. 4}

It looks like, from this quote, that the mother's arms were not bare, but for fashion, they clothed their children like that. Again, though, it seems like from everything I read, the counsel to cover the arms & legs had everything to do with the cold climate. I've not seen one statement that says to cover them because of heat or the sun. That was the purpose for the pants in the dress reform, as well as modesty. Now women have leggins that serve the same purpose...especially if they wear long enough dresses...which, from what I understand is about 9" from the floor.

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #91651
09/01/07 02:18 AM
09/01/07 02:18 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
I might get in trouble now (not a fist for me LOL ) I wore a traditional Bermudian suit to my neice's wedding here in Cap-Pele New Brunswick (fairly Conservative region as far as the SDA population which is about 1 in 3,000) and I really was comfortablem and my wife really likes the look on me, and that is all that counts for me. The suit consists of a short sleeve button down shirt with a tie that matches my socks. Bermuda shorts (beige for this event) and with knee high socks and a pair of brown oxford shoes. I was in Bermuda recently and this outfit could have cost about $400 to put together but thankfully we have an amazing clothing store here (Frenchy's) and I put this outfit together for under $20 in total (all new clohes except for the lightly used shoes! )
-SO: I had bare arms and bare knees! The shame of it all!!??
-IMAGINE if I would wear my Welsh National roots KILT to Church, would this be considered inappropriate? fyi DM Richards created the Natioanl WELSH Tartan in 1967! (not me though, I was born in 1967!)

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: D R] #91656
09/01/07 05:24 AM
09/01/07 05:24 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
The look didn't sound to bad until I came to the knee high socks.
But as long as your wife approves, why not.

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: crater] #91862
09/15/07 12:39 AM
09/15/07 12:39 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Crater: \:\) Ya the socks i was not so crazy about, BUT the guys that dress this way in Bermuda did look sharp!

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: D R] #91926
09/19/07 06:32 PM
09/19/07 06:32 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
So were you the hit or main attraction at the wedding? \:\)

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Daryl] #91966
09/22/07 12:23 AM
09/22/07 12:23 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
daryl, Ashley and Josh were the Main attraction and as long as I am a hit with my wife then all is well!
-Just wait untill i wear a kilt to church! \:\)

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!