HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89270
05/27/07 09:32 PM
05/27/07 09:32 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tammy,

Aren't there other nearby SDA churches that you can attend?

Also, did you approach the pastors wife regarding what happened to you and others in what you saw in relation to her low cut dress?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Daryl] #89278
05/28/07 09:35 AM
05/28/07 09:35 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
This is the most conservative church within probably a hundred miles every direction.

Yes, 6 months ago, I emailed a copy of "The Ribbon of Blue" to the Pastor, as I overheard him say he was going to speak on "Dress Reform" in an upcoming sermon. So, I emailed it to him and told him that it might give him some food for his sermon and asked him to share it with his wife. I said I would like to give a copy of it to all the women in the church. He became very angry with me for sharing it with him....

I've pretty much given up on conference churches...homechurch is looking better all the time.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89281
05/28/07 02:28 PM
05/28/07 02:28 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Did he ever give a sermon on dress reform? It would have been interesting what he would have said about it in his sermon.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Daryl] #89283
05/28/07 02:54 PM
05/28/07 02:54 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
No...no sermon...how could he? He preaches in very vague words, so that liberals can read into it what they want, and conservatives read into what they want, that way, they both come away from the sermon thinking he preached the truth...very deceptive....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89309
05/29/07 02:22 PM
05/29/07 02:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tammy, what would you do if an under-dressed lady was interested in learning about Jesus at your home church? Would you instruct her on how not to dress? Or, would you first demonstrate the love of God by accepting her as she is, and then lead her into all truth?

I'm not asking this question to condone under-dressed church members who should know better, especially the pastor's wife. However, times have changed. Most members have never heard of dress reform, including pastors and their wives. Short skirts and low cut blouses are commonplace in the world and in the church.

Most men I talked to about it don't even notice it. It's like going into an African village where women go around topless and no one thinks about it. It's not an issue. The people who worry about it, nowadays, seem to be the ones who cannot control impure thoughts, which sadly seems to be those who hold up the highest standards.

I wonder why it is like that? Why does it seem to bother the most godly in the church and yet it seems not to phase the most worldly in the church?

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Mountain Man] #89330
05/29/07 11:28 PM
05/29/07 11:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The people who worry about it, nowadays, seem to be the ones who cannot control impure thoughts, which sadly seems to be those who hold up the highest standards.

I wonder why it is like that? Why does it seem to bother the most godly in the church and yet it seems not to phase the most worldly in the church?

A possible answer is that the worldly may be desensitized to it. Just as smokers are not bothered by 2nd-hand smoke, those who are accustomed to indulging impure thoughts are not bothered by temptations to indulge impure thoughts.

If you look at it that way, you might see why the ones who are not bothered may be those who cannot, or will not, control impure thoughts. OTOH, those who are intent on controlling impure thoughts, and crucifying self, are very sensitive to that which wars against their souls.

Jesus, our Example, reacted this way: "... as the sinless one His nature recoiled from evil..." {SC 93.4} I think it bothers Him. So you shouldn't wonder why it bothers godly church members; they're in good company.

Plus, if something bothers the godly, but is accepted by the worldly, you should really stop and consider if that thing is good for your soul. "Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God." James 4:4

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: asygo] #89336
05/30/07 03:10 AM
05/30/07 03:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yeah, I know what you mean. Please don't misunderstand me. I knew I was taking a risk in my last post. Again, I am not "condoning under-dressed" women or men. Nor am I trying to say ungodly members who choose not to control impure impure thoughts are setting a standard we should adopt. Please hear me.

I am talking specifically about people who are not bothered by impure thoughts when they see under-dressed members in church. As you say, they are desensitized, and it takes a lot more nudity to tempt them. Of course there are those who get aroused no matter what. Between these two kinds of people lies the majority.

I'm not so sure being desensitized is "evil". The dress reform Sister White spoke about totally condemns what we think is modest nowadays. Women wearing pants was considered evil even by worldly standards. But today when we see women wearing modest pants it does not tempt us with impure thoughts.

Why the change?

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Mountain Man] #89339
05/30/07 10:19 AM
05/30/07 10:19 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Mountain Man, one of the biggest reasons the church is in the condition it is, is because it employs so many Pastors that are soft on sin, like you.

Quote:
However, times have changed.
Yes, times have changed, but God's standard hasn't changed at all. What was immodest before, is STILL immodest today, whether you are in the US or in Africa. The people in Africa who run around with no clothes are not the ones who have become Christians, they are the heathens...soon as they become Christians, they put modest clothes on...just like the two demon possessed men whom Jesus healed.

Quote:
I'm not asking this question to condone under-dressed church members who should know better, especially the pastor's wife.
I find that hard to believe...we are talking about women who are members, not worldly women. And your very next words
 Quote:
However, times have changed. Most members have never heard of dress reform, including pastors and their wives. Short skirts and low cut blouses are commonplace in the world and in the church.
show that you are making an excuse for female members of the church, including Pastor's wives.

Quote:
Most men I talked to about it don't even notice it. It's like going into an African village where women go around topless and no one thinks about it. It's not an issue. The people who worry about it, nowadays, seem to be the ones who cannot control impure thoughts, which sadly seems to be those who hold up the highest standards.
I have to say, you really anger me with statements like this. I don't know why you bother calling yourself an Adventist Pastor. You need to read the Spirit of Prophecy, cause if you did, you wouldn't be saying things like this.

Quote:
Do not, my sisters, trifle longer with your own souls and with God. I have been shown that the main cause of your backsliding is your love of dress. This leads to the neglect of grave responsibilities, and you find yourselves with scarcely a spark of the love of God in your hearts. Without delay, renounce the cause of your backsliding, because it is sin against your own soul and against God. Be not hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Fashion is deteriorating the intellect and eating out the spirituality of our people. Obedience to fashion is pervading our Seventh-day Adventist churches and is doing more than any other power to separate our people from God. I have been shown that our church rules are very deficient. All exhibitions of pride in dress, which is forbidden in the word of God, should be sufficient reason for church discipline. If there is a continuance, in face of warnings and appeals and entreaties, to still follow the perverse will, it may be regarded as proof that the heart is in no way assimilated to Christ. Self, and only self, is the object of adoration, and one such professed Christian will lead many away from God. {4T 647.2}
There is a terrible sin upon us as a people, that we have permitted our church members to dress in a manner inconsistent with their faith. We must arise at once and close the door against the allurements of fashion. Unless we do this, our churches will become demoralized. {4T 648.1}

Our churches have become demoralized, because we have too many Pastors like you, who see no need to raise the standard. Not only do you see no need to raise it, you accuse those who do raise it of being
 Quote:
the ones who cannot control impure thoughts

[Excellent point, Asyago: quote]Jesus, our Example, reacted this way: "... as the sinless one His nature recoiled from evil..." {SC 93.4} I think it bothers Him. So you shouldn't wonder why it bothers godly church members; they're in good company. [/quote]

Quote:
Why does it seem to bother the most godly in the church and yet it seems not to phase the most worldly in the church
By your own admission, you are admitting you are among
 Quote:
the most worldly in the church
. You have no business being a Pastor.

Quote:
Most men I talked to about it don't even notice it.
Another false statement to support your liberal, worldly stand. It doesn't matter if it is Africa or the US, all people, whether in the world or in the church, know that men are turned on by nudity.

If you weren't an Adventist Pastor, I wouldn't speak so plain, but you are, and by your influence, you are leading many men to hell. I had no respect for you before, so I can't say I lost any here...but you have definently confirmed me in what kind of Christian I thought you were before.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself...I can promise you, God is ashamed of you. You ought to quit "playing church".

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89346
05/30/07 01:30 PM
05/30/07 01:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tammy, your accusations are unjustified. Please read my last two posts more carefully. I am simply stating the obvious, but by doing so I am not lowering the standard. I am fully sold on dress reform, but not exactly the way it is described in the SOP. I feel it is okay for women to wear modest pants nowadays. Do you agree? Or, do you think it is immodest and unholy?

Re: A Christian Guide to Dress--Part One [Re: Tammy Roesch] #89351
05/30/07 04:17 PM
05/30/07 04:17 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Mountain Man, one of the biggest reasons the church is in the condition it is, is because it employs so many Pastors that are soft on sin, like you.

Hmm, lets see here, I read something like this before in my overview study of christian thought. I think this idea might first have been raised by a group known as Donatists. Nothing new under the sun is there?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!