HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Evangelical Dancers #33688
06/16/01 02:01 AM
06/16/01 02:01 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Let's not judge, since it's possible this person doesn't know any better. However, he/she certainly didn't do any positive witnessing in such a context. I remember when I was about 12 my dad and I stopped to help a lady change her tire on our way to church, which made us late with 'greasy hands' and I was to play the piano and they were waiting. One member chastised us for doing what we did and holding things up.
I believe that that was an instance in which we witnessed by breaking a commandment.
It seems the gospel message being passed around today is "do not offend anyone at any cost"
If only we stopped to consider if our actions offend God.

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33689
06/17/01 06:48 PM
06/17/01 06:48 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Wilson:

I believe that that was an instance in which we witnessed by breaking a commandment.

I'm just curious; what commandment did you break by helping that stranded lady?

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33690
06/17/01 08:25 PM
06/17/01 08:25 PM
D
Dennis Crabbe  Offline
Canada
Jesus said, "It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath days" and spoke of lifting a sheep out of a pit (Matt. 12:11-12). When you stop to help a stranded motorist, you are not breaking the commandments but keeping them.

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33691
06/20/01 01:08 AM
06/20/01 01:08 AM
D
Dennis Crabbe  Offline
Canada
In regard to the "evangelical dancers" Won, I faced a similar situation when I first began attending an Adventist church (HOW I began attending is another story altogether). I was in the military, and one of the families in the church had a daughter who was NOT interested in church, but she WAS interested in military men. So they told her about this soldier who was now visiting their church, and they persuaded her to attend just this once and invited me home for dinner.

Their daughter invited me to join her and some of her friends for the next Friday night, and because she was an Adventist I assumed it was a Bible study (or something similar). But instead, it was a Friday night dance party. She danced, and invited me to dance also, but I never did. I just sat there with an uncomfortable feeling, realizing she was doing this at all, let alone on the Sabbath. I soon told her I wanted to leave, and that was the end of it.

I was not even baptized yet, but my interest
in the Adventist Church was not dampened by the poor example she gave. I was searching for truth and this church had it, and I knew there would be wheat and tares.

I'm grateful that the Lord helped me look beyond these kinds of examples, and that He put a love for truth in my heart inspite of them. In this time in history we need to pray He will do this for alot more people, because conditions in the church are far worse today than they were back then.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Crabbe (edited June 19, 2001).]

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33692
06/20/01 02:03 AM
06/20/01 02:03 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
Why it's obvious isn't it Gerry? We were working on a car on Sabbath. That breaks the fourth commandment.

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33693
06/20/01 01:58 PM
06/20/01 01:58 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK

Why it's obvious isn't it Gerry? We were working on a car on Sabbath. That breaks the fourth commandment.

quote: Dan Wilson

Dan, I can't help but wonder whether you're being serious or facetious with these comments, but even if you are joking about it, I'll respond anyway for the benefit of others who may read this thread.

If you sinned by being a good Samaritan in helping a stranded lady on your way to church that one Sabbath, then Jesus also did sin when He and His disciples plucked grain so they could eat. Then Jesus also did sin when He healed on the Sabbath.

You were wrongfully chastised by a fellow church member. Jesus was wrongfully chastised by the church leaders. Both you and He were wrongfully accused of breaking the Sabbath, but neither of you did.

The church leaders in Jesus' day, and the church member who confronted you, did not know what they were talking about.

No, my friend, you did not break the commandment by giving needed assistance to someone in need. A member accusing you of such does not make it any more true than when the Pharisees accused Jesus of the same; it was still a false accusation.

In fact, Dan, you did exactly as Jesus would have in the same situation. In fact, I believe it would have been wrong of you if you had not helped and to have left her stranded; then you would have been like those who passed the man by who was lying on the side of the road until the Samaritan stopped and helped.

As Dennis Crabbe said:

Jesus said, "It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath days" and spoke of lifting a sheep out of a pit (Matt. 12:11-12). When you stop to help a stranded motorist, you are not breaking the commandments but keeping them.

quote: Dennis Crabbe

The following verse also comes to mind:

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

James 4:17

-Dennis Borg

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33694
06/21/01 02:17 AM
06/21/01 02:17 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
You got me. However, by the letter of the law we did sin. That's why God emphasizes the importance of having the law written on our hearts, because only then can we truly uphold the law, even if upholding it means breaking it.

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33695
06/21/01 01:18 PM
06/21/01 01:18 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Thank you, bro. Borg, exactly what I had in mind.

as to breaking the lettert, how so?
Was changing tires your daily employ?
If not, that excludes that part, especially if you weren't paid for doing it.
Was changing that tire a recreational activity for you?
If no, then you were not seeking your own selfish pleasure.
Did it some how draw you away from 'resting' in God?

I ask questions that seem to be facetious, but, I have been asked the same questions when I helped someone on Sabbath.
I am fortunate to have as head elder here in my home church, a very wise elderly man (98 years young) that put me at ease, he said that we aren't here to judge one another, it isn't our job.
Rather, we are here as 'fruit inspectors', the word of God says:Mt.7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

I submit you showed the fruit of the good tree when you did as you did, and the one that chastised you was the one that showed bad fruit, which the bible says comes from bad trees.
Just an observation, as I don't know the other.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33696
06/21/01 02:48 PM
06/21/01 02:48 PM
W
Wedntgp  Offline
?
Now you've gone and opened up the interesting and perhaps divisive topic of what is sin, and you may very well have to pay the price of listening or reading all kinds of responses!

There was an indication of a belief of the existence of "technical" sin, working on a car on Sabbath, which under Christ's definition of what is appropriate on Sabbath was not "sin" in this instance. Is that an accurate description? I would suggest that there is no "technical" sin in existence now or ever. An action or thought or nonaction is either contrary to the principle of the two great commandments given by Christ or not contrary to that principle. If contrary to the principle, it is sin, if not, it is not sin. Is the "action" done in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ? Is so, it is not sin, if it is not done in faith, it is sin. No cute little exceptions to sinful actions. Is it done in love and based on faith in the Lord Jesus Christ? Yes or no. Not an issue of does it fit within an exception to any command. What do you think?

Re: Evangelical Dancers #33697
06/22/01 02:27 AM
06/22/01 02:27 AM
D
Dan Wilson  Offline
Pastor
I think you're right: Sin is transgression of THE law. All we say and do must be measured upon the principle of love for God and others. Sin is not a grocery list, it is failing to love.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!