HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, 2 invisible), 3,403 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33719
07/31/00 04:17 PM
07/31/00 04:17 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Music is used consistently in our Sabbath School Program, Divine Worship Service, Vespers, and often at our mid-week Prayer Meetings.

What then is the role or purpose of music in our churches?

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett :)

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33720
07/31/00 10:21 PM
07/31/00 10:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that music is used (for me anyway) to uplift the soul, to remind us why we and who we are worshiping, to take our minds away from the cares of the world, as a means of prayer. I also think that as God calls us (all throughout the Psalms) to praise and worship in song and with musical instruments and in dance that this is a very important part of our services. Many times the songs can tell a message of Christ's love that even a sermon cannot. Music has to it a special quality that catches the whole soul - the mind, the body and the heart - that other venues cannot emulate.

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33721
08/01/00 12:47 PM
08/01/00 12:47 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
For me, when I was still driving truck, it was a means of getting close to my best friend.

When you spend long periods of time alone, it can get to you.

On more than one accasion, when it was getting real lonely, a chorus or even the whole song would come into my mind, and as I 'sang' it, it drew my mind away from me and my lonliness, and put it on the one that was always so lonely here.
A kindred spirit if you will, it was like He was sitting with me in the cab, telling me He understood because He had been lonely as He walked here 2000 years ago.

Music can inspire, it can uplift and it can chase away the lonelys.

------------------
Is what you're living for worth Christ dying for?

Gerry B.

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33722
08/02/00 05:25 AM
08/02/00 05:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

What Is Appropriate Music?

Maintaining the purity of it’s music has been the concern of the Christian Church since it’s earliest days. Vigilance in this area is probably one of the most difficult and sensitive areas of church members who would be concerned about the kind of music that would be appropriate. Not everyone is concerned about it; but still, there are a few simple guidelines to play your tunes to.

The chapter entitled: “Poetry And Song,” in the book called “Education,” concludes with several paragraphs, under the subheading: “The Power Of Song.” The last few sentences concisely summarize the value of singing in both the home and the church:

“As part of the religious service; singing is as much an act of worship as is prayer. Indeed! Many a song is prayer! If a child is taught to realize this, [they] will think more of the meaning of the words[they] sing; and will be more susceptible to their power.”

Personally, I have a wide variety of taste for music as part of my worship. That taste changes from time to time as needs and situations arise. Last year, I frequently played a “racy tune,” by TD Jake called “Woman: Thou Art Loosed!” The song was basically a point of prayer by me, for my wife, at the time.

I’m sure I’d be railroaded out of some of our churches if I ever dared to play this tune there, but I don’t even play it myself anymore. It’s not really my preference of music style. But hey! The words have stayed with me; and so has my wife!

The following texts appeal to a quest for Biblical definition of the intended power of music:

“In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks.
2 Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth may enter in.
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:”

Isa.26:1-4

“12 Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.”

Jer.31:12

I probably have not answered all questions about what is proper music; but this will be a good starting point...More later when I have time!

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33723
08/03/00 11:18 PM
08/03/00 11:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes, I think we are too quick to criticize music that we don't particularly like. When I read Psalms, it mentions almost every kind of instrument, from cymbals (drum sets?), harp (apparently refers to the guitar!), trumpets, etc. The list could go on forever!! Many cultures have a variety of instruments that have been a part of their history for as far back as it goes. Who are we to tell them that they are wrong in how they worship God in music.

I have to ask a question here. Who created music? I believe it was God. Who likes to take everything God creates to try and counterfeit and corrupt it? Satan. Both use music to their benefit. God uses it both to our benefit and to our glory. We must be diligent in not allowing Satan to corrupt our music, but we also must not allow Satan to corrupt our worship through nitpicking and senseless issues about musical taste differences. God can reach people through any kind of music. When we limit the varieties of music in our churches, are we trying to limit God's ability to use those uses?

Food for thought anyway.

Prayer Changes Things!
Sarah Moss

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Moss (edited August 03, 2000).]

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33724
08/04/00 01:01 AM
08/04/00 01:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes I use church music to my benefit.

It gives me the time to put last-minute sermon thoughts together--unless I have to play the piano for the singers.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33725
08/07/00 01:11 PM
08/07/00 01:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Sing me another Hymn about Him!

------------------
"The joy of the Lord will be your strength." (Neh.8:10).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

[This message has been edited by DavidTBattler (edited August 07, 2000).]

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33726
08/08/00 03:14 AM
08/08/00 03:14 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I read and agree with the posts about the purpose of music in our church services.

In order for the purpose of music in our church services to be fulfilled or realized, the music appropriate to meeting the purpose becomes very important.

I don't have any problem with the various musical instruments, however, it's the way they are used that would concern me.

The piano and the organ, the most common musical instruments used in our churches, can also be and are also used in the wrong way.

It isn't the instrument that's the problem. It's the way it is used. It's the beat and rhythm and the loudness of the musical instruments that can be the problem.

I have heard so called Christian music in which you couldn't hear the words over the musical instruments. That wouldn't be appropriate outside our churches let alone inside out churches.

Doesn't the Bible and the SOP have something to say about this?

------------------
In His Love, Mercy & Grace

Daryl Fawcett

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited August 07, 2000).]

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33727
08/11/00 10:07 PM
08/11/00 10:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
It isn't the instrument that's the problem. It's the way it is used. It's the beat and rhythm and the loudness of the musical instruments that can be the problem.

I have a question here. . . Does the Psalmist tell us to worship quietly, or to praise quietly? I don't think that when Jesus comes again we will be quietly rejoicing over our salvation - we will be shouting it from the mountain tops, letting the Hosannas Ring from the clouds. It will not be a quiet occurrence. Not to say that quiet music does not have its place either, but when I feel like praising, I don't feel like doing it quietly - and it's more difficult (comfort-wise) to praise loudly if the music is soft and mellow.

Sometimes there is a fine line between Heavenly music and earthly music, because, yes, Satan can take a wonderful song and turn it into his tool with for some with the music. However, I also believe that God can use that same music to bring others to Him (for the record I am not suggesting that we bring this type of music into the sanctuary, I am just suggesting that we do not censor it outside the sanctuary).

For instance, my brother listened to Guns & Roses, etc. Now, I would much rather have had him listen to the worst of Petra (sorry, don't know any other group names) than Guns and Roses. Same time of music - different words, and I believe that words do make a difference.

When my husband and I listen to a song together, it is inevitable that he will come out knowing the exact tune with only a hint of the words, and I will come out knowing the words with only a hint of what the tune was. Differences.

I guess my point (if I seem to have one today) is that we cannot judge what another finds to be worship. God meets us where we are at, and if one finds heavy rock and roll uplifting (yikes!) then we cannot fault them. God will work on their heart, but sometimes it just takes a while for their heart to become changed.

(for the record, I do not listen to heavy rock music, but find all others enjoyable)

------------------
Sarah Moss
*Prayer Changes Things!*

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Moss (edited August 11, 2000).]

Re: What Is The Purpose Of Music In Our Church Services? #33728
08/12/00 12:26 AM
08/12/00 12:26 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
It is not safe for the Lord's workers to take part in worldly entertainments. Association with worldliness in musical lines is looked upon as harmless by some Sabbathkeepers. But such ones are on dangerous ground. Thus Satan seeks to lead men and women astray, and thus he has gained control of souls. So smooth, so plausible is the working of the enemy that his wiles are not suspected, and many church members become lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God.--Manuscript 82, 1900. {3SM 332.2}

Brother U has a good knowledge of music, but his education in music was of a character to suit the stage rather than the solemn worship of God. Singing is just as much the worship of God in a religious meeting as speaking, and any oddity or peculiarity cultivated attracts the attention of the people and destroys the serious, solemn impression which should be the result of sacred music. Anything strange and eccentric in singing detracts from the seriousness and sacredness of religious service. {3SM 333.1

Dignified, Solemn, Impressive Music.--Bodily exercise profiteth little. Everything that is connected in any way with religious worship should be dignified, solemn, and impressive. God is not pleased when ministers professing to be Christ's representatives so misrepresent Christ as to throw the body into acting attitudes, making undignified and coarse gestures, unrefined, coarse gesticulations. All this amuses, and will excite the curiosity of those who wish to see strange, odd, and exciting things, but these things will not elevate the minds and hearts of those who witness them. {3SM 333.2}
The very same may be said of singing. You assume undignified attitudes. You put in all the power and volume of the voice you can. You drown the finer strains and notes of voices more musical than your own. This bodily exercise and the harsh, loud voice makes no melody to those who hear on earth and those who listen in heaven. This singing is defective and not acceptable to God as perfect, softened, sweet strains of music. There are no such exhibitions among the angels as I have sometimes seen in our meetings. Such harsh notes and gesticulations are not exhibited among the angel choir. Their singing does not grate upon the ear. It is soft and melodious and comes without this great effort I have witnessed. It is not forced and strained, requiring physical exercise. {3SM 333.3}
The Feelings Not Touched, the Heart Not Subdued.--Brother U is not aware how many are amused and disgusted. Some cannot repress thoughts not very
sacred and feelings of levity to see the unrefined motions made in the singing. Brother U exhibits himself. His singing does not have an influence to subdue the heart and touch the feelings. Many have attended the meetings and listened to the words of truth spoken from the pulpit, which have convicted and solemnized their minds; but many times the way the singing has been conducted has not deepened the impression made. The demonstrations and bodily contortions, the unpleasant appearance of the strained, forced effort has appeared so out of place for the house of God, so comical, that the serious impressions made upon the minds have been removed. Those who believe the truth are not as highly thought of as before the singing. {3SM 333.4}
It Must Be "All in His Way."--Brother U's case has been a difficult one to manage. He has been like a child undisciplined and uneducated. When his course has been questioned, instead of taking reproof as a blessing, he has let his feelings get the better of his judgment and he has become discouraged and would do nothing. If he could not do in everything as he wanted to do, all in his way, he would not help at all. He has not taken hold of the work earnestly to reform his manners but has given up to mulish feelings that separate the angels from him and bring evil angels around him. The truth of God received in the heart commences its refining, sanctifying influence upon the life. {3SM 334.1}

The Power of Music.--Music is of heavenly origin. There is great power in music. It was music from the angelic throng that thrilled the hearts of the
shepherds on Bethlehem's plains and swept round the world. It is in music that our praises rise to Him who is the embodiment of purity and harmony. It is with music and songs of victory that the redeemed shall finally enter upon the immortal reward. {3SM 334.4}
There is something peculiarly sacred in the human voice. Its harmony and its subdued and heaven-inspired pathos exceeds every musical instrument. Vocal music is one of God's gifts to men, an instrument that cannot be surpassed or equaled when God's love abounds in the soul. Singing with the spirit and the understanding also is a great addition to devotional services in the house of God. {3SM 335.1}
How this gift has been debased! When sanctified and refined it would accomplish great good in breaking down the barriers of prejudice and hardhearted unbelief, and would be the means of converting souls. It is not enough to understand the rudiments of singing, but with the understanding, with the knowledge, must be such a connection with heaven that angels can sing through us. {3SM 335.2}

This is a sample of what I found in the EGW estate.
Funny, this is the first time I saw these quotes.
Oh, well, have to search a little better, I guess.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!