HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Joyful Noise #33904
07/02/03 03:17 AM
07/02/03 03:17 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:

"Too many Christians assume the music they like is the music God likes. They then forbid the music they don't like. Unfortunately, this attitude often drives away young people. Joyful Noise argues that Christian music should be judged not by our own tastes, but by its spiritual fruits. If music leads people to God or keeps people close to God, then God approves, whether or not we ourselves like it."

The first and last sentences of the above quote seems contradictory to me.

I am not certain if I agree with the last sentence in this quote in that I could also say this about anything else.

For example:
If speaking in tongues, and/or being slain in the spirit, such as is done in the charasmatic churches today leads people to God or keeps people close to God, then God approves whether or not we ourselves like it.

Re: Joyful Noise #33905
07/01/03 04:56 PM
07/01/03 04:56 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline OP
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Daryl,

You might want to pay attention to that "If" word again. [Wink] Really though, the part you did not highlight explains the connection and significance. But set aside the aspect of your own personal taste, comfort zone, etc. and objectively consider the key elements of the statement - "leads people to God" and "keeps people close to God". Try to consider how either of these could possibly, even in your wildest dreams, be a bad thing. Aside from music, now consider the many ways in which God can accomplish this or ways that people have learned to accomplish these goals. How many of those ways work for you personally? How many of those ways do not work for you personally? Would you be willing to deny God or His people opportunities to penetrate the shell of a sin-hardened soul and touch that heart with the gospel in ways that don't do it for you, for the sole reason that such ways don't work for you and speak to your soul or even if you know that for you personally the exact opposite effect would be the result?

With regard to music, countless personal testimonies give evidence of the power of music to help accomplish the eternal goals of leading someone to God and helping keep a soul close to God. What if the same personal testimony came from two different people, one listening to a Fannie Crosby hymn and another listening to Handel's Messiah - would you consider a qualitative difference in the spiritual experience and result of the two individuals based on their musical preference? My own mother who is a musician would greatly prefer the former music and absolutely would not be as likely to be blessed by Handel's music as she simply doesn't like classical music. But I have sung many of the choral portions of the Messiah and am greatly blessed by that music as well as the great gospel hymns that my mother taught me to appreciate. I have also experienced the same blessing (I do recognize it as being the same because my spiritual reactions and thoughts are very much the same.) from some far more contemporary Christian music. And that is the experience of countless other Christians who have been brought closer to God and kept closer to God through contemporary Christian music. Each type of music has lead me toward God or helped me stay close to Him by focusing my mind and heart on Him. Is there a difference? Only in the musical vehicle that helped bring me into a closer relationship with God. The end result was the same. That is the point.

Tom

[ July 01, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Tom Wetmore ]

Re: Joyful Noise #33906
07/02/03 08:48 PM
07/02/03 08:48 PM
E
Ed Christian  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Hamburg, Pennsylvania USA
Greetings, Friends:
I want to sincerely thank Tom for calling your attention to my book "Joyful Noise." Tom, as you are well aware, your quotes are well within the boundaries of fair use. Quote away! You are representing me accurately.

I also want to thank Daryl for his kindly, conscientious reminders to people. May God bless you.

Pete P Pete, part of "Joyful Noise" is indeed based on the two articles on music I published a year ago in JATS. One very valuable thing about publishing them there first is that several thoughtful critics took the time to argue with specific aspects of what I had said. I discovered that the reason was that I had not clearly communicated my ideas. (It's not easy.) I was able to do a lot of rewriting and add many pages, with the result that most of those who didn't understand changed their minds and came to agree with me. Given that you label me a leftist (I'm a registered Republican), you probably still wouldn't agree with me, but I do hope the book is clearer than the articles.

As Tom pointed out, I love the great old hymns. I wish we spent a lot more time singing them. I've recorded a three tape album for American Cassette Ministries of me reading the lyrics of 150 hymns as poetry, so their wonderful messages can be better understood.

I believe, though, that one prominent example of FALSE WORSHIP and BLASPHEMY in our churches today (more specifically white North American and European churches) is singing HYMNS in praise to God AS IF WE DIDN'T MEAN IT. Lukewarm, Laodicean singing of hymns is not true worship and it doesn't lead people closer to God. However, that doesn't mean we need to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I urge you, if you love hymns, sing them with all your heart, as if you really believed. And teach others to love them, too.
God Bless
Ed

Re: Joyful Noise #33907
07/02/03 09:10 PM
07/02/03 09:10 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good to see you back on here, Ed! [Smile]

I agree that it isn't always easy conveying one's accurate thoughts on here. [Smile]

I would be interested in your thoughts, and anybody else's thoughts, on the following similar topics:

http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000032;p=1#000010

http://www.maritime-sda-online.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000026;p=1#000005

Please click on the above link and, if you have any thoughts, please reply to them in those respective topics, rather than in this one.

Re: Joyful Noise #33908
07/11/03 03:57 AM
07/11/03 03:57 AM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline OP
Silver Spring, MD, USA
The 4th chapter of "Joyful Noise" is entitled "Guidelines for OUR Music: Congregational Worship." In that chapter Ed Christian explains in detail 7 principles for group worship. Here are the basic principles for your edification and discussion:

"1. Music is not of itself sacred or secular, whatever its style. Classical and sacred are not synonymous. Quality of composition or performance does not make music without words suitable for the worship service. When instrumental music calls to mind sacred lyrics, it can lead to worship, though generally less efficiently than music with words. At best, from a spiritual viewpoint, music without words in the worship service provides a background for meditation. However, many listeners don’t make use of this opportunity."

"2. Any style of music can entertain. Entertainment is not in itself wrong, in its place, but the worship service is not the best place for entertainment, because the more we are being entertained, the less we are worshiping. Thus the worship service will be more spiritually profitable if we avoid music that entertains. 'Special music' in the worship service can sometimes provide an opportunity for meditation or allow God to speak to the listener, but primarily, I believe, it entertains the congregation, despite the performers’ desire to give glory to God."

"3. Everything in the worship service should encourage an intense unity of the believers, a unity of thought, feeling, and worship, preparing believers to receive God’s Word to them. Any element of the service that lowers congregational fervor or detracts from congregational unity should be changed or deleted. Silence should not be equated with true reverence or worship (though true worship is often silent, of course)."

"4. Congregational singing is the only music encouraged in the New Testament for group worship. Vigorous congregational singing has potent physiological, mental, and spiritual effects. When vigorous congregational singing continues for some time, it encourages a feeling of unity among the singers. Vigorous congregational singing is our fullest expression of corporate worship."

"5. Tepid congregational singing is false worship, a mockery of worship. It says, in effect, 'God hasn’t done much for me and doesn’t really deserve my worship.'"

"6. Vigorous congregational singing is always appropriate during the worship service, and many musical styles are acceptable for such worship, so long as those present are not offended. Music that offends some in the congregation is not acceptable, because it destroys the unity of the body of Christ."

"7. Some Christian songs are appropriate for outside the worship service, yet not for
congregational singing. Songs for congregational singing should praise God in some way or teach and admonish the congregation. They should have lyrics that are fitting for many people to sing at once, rather than focusing on individual experience. Their tunes should also be melodic, as this makes them easier to sing and remember."

Tom

Re: Joyful Noise #33909
07/11/03 05:00 PM
07/11/03 05:00 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
quote:
"Tepid congregational singing is false worship."
Any form of worship that doesn't come from the heart is obviously questionable worship on the part of the so-called worshipper. I am not so certain that I would actually label it as false worship though. If that were the case, then most of our church worship services would be classified as false worship services, at least on the part of the tepid singers singing a congregational hymn.

Does Ed Christian give any examples of vigorous and tepid congregational singing anywhere in his book?

Re: Joyful Noise #33910
07/22/03 04:42 PM
07/22/03 04:42 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline OP
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Daryl,

You asked, “Does Ed Christian give any examples of vigorous and tepid congregational singing anywhere in his book?”

Yes, he discusses these points quite a bit in his book. I think that essentially he is talking about enthusiasm and feeling in our singing – singing from our heart as if we truly mean it. His use of “tepid” conveys lukewarmness, apathy or a lack of genuine feeling. Music is an expression of the heart and the way some folk sing you would think their hearts have stopped beating. Here is his description of the effects of vigorous congregational singing:

“When we sing vigorously, we breathe deeper and we exercise our chest, back, and abdominal muscles. This floods our cells with extra oxygen, making us feel alert, strong, and energetic. It also releases naturally occurring substances in our brains that relax us, decrease sensitivity to pain, give us a feeling of well-being, encourage a feeling of compassion for others, and lower our inhibitions slightly (making it easier for us to respond to the work of the Holy Spirit on our hearts).”

And in a footnote he mentions a personal experience of what he is talking about:

“One of the most memorable evenings of my life was spent in a hymn-sing led by a man who knew how to lead singing (Charles L. Brooks, an editor of the hymnal I use) and a pianist who knew how to accompany hymn-singing (his daughter). The leader took us through dozens of songs, helping us learn how to sing, how to understand the songs, how to enjoy them. As he moved us from anthems of praise to quiet songs of contrition and surrender and back again, as he gauged and controlled our enthusiasm, we coalesced. I began with a migraine headache. I ended feeling wonderful. This was my introduction, 15 years ago, to the glory of hymns and the physiological effects they can have.”

Having also experienced singing hymns with C. L. Brooks and his wonderfully rich voice and genuine enthusiasm, I understand exactly what he is saying. That spirit is contagious like the infectious laughter of a child. Even the most dour saint will at least smile a little.

Tom

Re: Joyful Noise #33911
07/22/03 08:59 PM
07/22/03 08:59 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom,

I agree with both you and Ed Christian that we need to sing from our hearts and not only from our lips (lip-service).

Re: Joyful Noise #33912
07/24/03 02:04 PM
07/24/03 02:04 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline OP
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Daryl,

Of the seven principles of worship music that Ed proposes, three directly address unity. To say that unity in worship is a theme of his book is almost an understatement. It is a concern that Ed stresses over and over throughout the book. In the introductory paragraph to his concluding chapter, “The Church I Long to See” he sums up what is on his heart in writing this book:

“Music has divided for far too long. This book has been an attempt to show that such division is unnecessary, harmful, and in opposition to Jesus’ prayer that His followers would live together in unity. What follows is not specifically about music, but about the unity of the body of Christ, the people of God. It lays out my dreams of what the church could be if we were willing, what God longs for it to be. Compared to unity, the music wars are of little importance.”

An essential element of our group worship is to help unify the body of Christ and of all things, music should be a catalyst to help build that unity of God’s people rather than divide us. What follows is a sampling of other quotes from throughout the rest of Ed’s book regarding the importance of unity in the context of this potentially divisive issue:

“Jesus was particularly concerned for the unity of His people. The divisions within Christendom make worldwide unity difficult, but even in the local congregation there are often divisions. When we allow them to continue, we keep Christ’s prayer from being answered as He wished.”

“Whatever music we ourselves prefer, we must keep in mind the unity of God’s people. Maintaining that unity may call for compromise, for accepting what we ourselves don’t much like, for not insisting on our own musical preferences if some are offended by them.” Chapter 2 [Ed later further defines what he means by compromise – “not a compromise of principles, but a willingness to put the needs of others before our own needs.”]

“Today researchers know that vigorous singing or similar physical participation in music can release naturally occurring chemicals in the brain that ease pain or lead to a feeling of well-being. Such feelings are not in themselves spiritual, but when they accompany the spiritual they intensify it and encourage unity, joy, and care for others.” Chapter 3

“Our primary concern as we consider what music to use in the worship service should be its effect on the worshipers. Does it bring them to a unity of spirit? Does it make them more receptive to the work of the Holy Spirit? Does it help convince them of their need of a Savior, remind them there’s power in the blood, encourage them to be like Jesus, inspire them to praise God with their whole heart?” Chapter 4

“Everything in the worship service should encourage an intense unity of the believers, a unity of thought, feeling, and worship, preparing believers to receive God’s Word to them. Any element of the service that lowers congregational fervor or detracts from congregational unity should be changed or deleted. Silence should not be equated with true reverence or worship (though true worship is often silent, of course).”

“I admit that this is an unusual position. However, what most concerned Jesus as He prayed in John 17 was the unity of the believers. Three times Jesus commanded, ‘Love one another’ (John 13:34; 15:12, 17). I assume he meant it.

“It seems to me that we praise and worship God best when we do it from a position of loving unity. When we are filled with love for each other, when we come to feel open to each other, concerned about each other, connected to each other, then I think we can feel the Holy Spirit descend upon us, whether we be silent or singing, and true worship begins.” Chapter 4

“I believe that everything in the worship service needs to be subordinate to the goal of worshiping God in unity. If the organ prelude and the special music lower the spiritual temperature by drawing people away from each other and focusing on a private experience of God, replace them with congregational hymns.” Chapter 4

“True worship should come from brothers and sisters coming together in unity (Psalm 133:1).” Chapter 4

“Because congregational worship isn’t true worship unless the congregation worships as one, and because congregational singing not only helps us achieve that unity but is the primary way the church worships at one time, we need to devote more time to learning how to sing together, and we need to devote more time to singing together.”

“We need to surrender ourselves to the good of the whole body and sing with our hearts. I believe this is the worship God desires, rather than a worship that is decorous and reverent, but dead.” Chapter 4

“Unity is built when God’s people develop a relationship with each other, when they truly care for each other and carry each other’s burdens, and this is Christ’s desire for them.” Chapter 8

Tom

Re: Joyful Noise #33913
07/24/03 08:19 PM
07/24/03 08:19 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am all for unity but not if it means compromising our Bible-based beliefs for the sake of unity.

That is why it important to know what the Bible and the SOP have to say about this most important subject.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!