HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Your Church music #34220
01/27/05 06:00 AM
01/27/05 06:00 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Tom, I'd rather see this picture than the last one and will reserve my comments about it for present.

Daniel, you have an interesting church service. I like having young people involved. I don't mind a (non plugged in) guitar occasionally but much of your type of church service I would not be comfortable in.

Re: Your Church music #34221
01/27/05 02:44 PM
01/27/05 02:44 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Ah Debbie, I'm disappointed that you are being so reserved about my fine portraiture of myself! [Big Grin] Perhaps this one will inspire you to enthusiastic and flattering compliments... [Wink]

By the way, were you at all surprised that I attend a church with such a conservatively traditional music format? And you should know tht here in the Washington, DC region we have many choices of SDA churches to attend, a number of which have good rousing praise services with a full range of contemporary instruments accompanying them. I say this only so you know that I do have a choice. I do feel sorry for those people who are stuck in church where there are no other SDA churches nearby from which to choose if they are not comfortable with what is happening at their church. But that goes beyond just music too.

Tom

Re: Your Church music #34222
01/27/05 08:12 PM
01/27/05 08:12 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Tom, I think you would be better off to go back to the artist--Rembrandt? Picasso? It was the self portrait but can't remember which... This picture is far worse than any you've had so far!!
How about a picture that reflects the way you think! That might be a good idea...

I'm not totally surprised at the church you attend. I enjoy a good quality of music too. However, what I enjoy more is a present truth filled sermon. I'm sure you have the best of both worlds in your church.

Re: Your Church music #34223
01/28/05 11:09 AM
01/28/05 11:09 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Debbie: I would be interested to understand why you would be uncomfortable at the Moncton SDA Church service.

We used to have hymns for every song Sabbath School and Church.

I have stated before..."On seperate occassions with 2 different friends (both totally blind) they each asked the same question durring the "Praise service" (between Sabbath School and Church) "Daniel, has someone passed away in your church this past week?" They asked this because of the somber way that the songs were played on the church organ. I then asked the organist about the tempo, and style of which the songs were played in. I was told by this very well musically educated musician, that the songs were played as they were written in our hymnal...
So I ask: If we a re to worship God in "SPIRIT and in TRUTH" How is it not acceptable to the Lord and a joy for His people to worship in a "Campmeeting" format?

Re: Your Church music #34224
01/29/05 04:02 AM
01/29/05 04:02 AM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Ah Debbie, now I feel insulted, becuase that is actually a picture of me! [Frown] I think it does reflect the way I think... Eyes wide open... An appropriately serious expression on my face... A prodigious nose for sniffing out foolishness... And I think so hard it blew the hair right off the top of my head! But for you, I will change to my favorite picture of myself. So what do you think?

As for my church, you are right, we do have a great pastoral staff, so we get good sermons. We also have a variety of small group and activity options and a truly great K-12 day academy. It is an advantage of being in a larger church. However, with all the rest, if the music was good quality contemporary music, I would be just as content with my church. But since most of the members probably would prefer to keep the music traditional/classical, there is really no need to do anything different. People can go elsewhere to fill that need if they feel strongly about it. I like a very wide range of music styles, so I can be happy with most any format. The youth at our church are given considerable latitude to have music and a worship style that fits their tastes and needs. The youth leaders sponsor groups going to contemporary music festivals and concerts and the Friday evening youth program often has local contemporary Christian musicians, some from our church, to have the featured music.

Tom

Re: Your Church music #34225
01/28/05 08:40 PM
01/28/05 08:40 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Tom, I think you are enjoying some artistic fun with your computer, changing a picture to make it look BAD!! Now tell the truth and nothing but the truth here!!! Are you guilty as charged?

How about just a normal nice picture. I'm sure everyone would think that would be appropriate. However it just occurred to me you are not the norm [Animated Laughter] (notice I didn't say "not normal!") - I'm back to the picture of the self-portrait of the artist--what's his name?? Or even the pumpkin if necessary but these others must go!!

Daniel, I will answer your questions a little later tonight.

[ January 28, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: debbie ]

Re: Your Church music #34226
01/28/05 09:38 PM
01/28/05 09:38 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
The biggest difference for the church service when it comes to music is not which kind of music it is but wether it is played and sung with life. Is the song sung just because its what has always been sung or just because it is the newest song released but without any engagement, then it will kill and bury any service. If there is life in the mucisian/s and in the congregation when the song is sung, then again it does not matter so much how old or who wrote it. Ive seen the ironic situation where the old hymnal that was used before the present one was being insisted upon leaving much of the congregation bewildered as to the words and tunes, this only because it was "the old sda hymnal". A simple question of why generated contempt as to how such a question could be asked. Oh well, such things happend sometimes...

/Thomas

Re: Your Church music #34227
01/28/05 10:24 PM
01/28/05 10:24 PM
Chris Williams  Offline
Posting New Member
Dayton OH
I go to the New Carlisle SDA Church in New Carlisle OH. When I first came to New Carlisle we used to hire an organist (from another denomination) for our services it was nice to have the live organist however it's a bit hypocritical for us to refuse to work on the Sabbath then hire someone to play for us. So we found an alternative. The music from the hymnal can be purchased on 30+ CD's one channel is piano the other organ. we combine the two to get both. The only problems we encounter are when the individual running the sound system hits the wrong button or program's in the wrong song. Other than that it's very nice. Not as good as a live organist or pianist but since we have nobody that plays either this works out well and we are not causing someone else to work on the Sabbath. Now some may think we lost an opportunity to witness but she did this for many years and when not playing sat in the second row doing crossword puzzles or reading books and magazines.

As I said the CD's work well. In order to make things easier we have a CD player that holds 100 CD's and you can program the player as to which disc and which track you want and in what order.

Have a Blessed Sabbath.
Chris

Re: Your Church music #34228
01/28/05 10:43 PM
01/28/05 10:43 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
IMO there are other doubts one can have about a "christian" who does crossword puzzles during church service...

/Thomas

Re: Your Church music #34229
01/29/05 02:56 PM
01/29/05 02:56 PM
M
Murian  Offline
Posting New Member
Colorado, USA
Debbie,
We attend the Montrose Seventh-day Adventist Church, in Colorado. Our music for church service comes from the hymnal and is accompanied by the organ and/or piano. Sometimes it is a bit too somber, depends upon the musician. We use a song leader(s), but they don't always try to enthuse the congregation to sing from the heart. Overall, it is satisfactory.

Murian

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!