HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36665
04/27/01 03:33 AM
04/27/01 03:33 AM
Vincent E MacIsaac  Offline OP
Eastern Canada, currently resi...
Ok we are going to take on again what might seem like a basic question, but could end up deeper and more complex if you dive into it.

This week I was giving a Bible study to a Muslim, Catholic and a non believer who were all friends in one big group study.

The Muslim turned and asked me "WHAT IS GOD?

And that in a nutshell is this weeks topic. "What or Who is God."

Sounds simple huh? Well not so fast. How would you answer this question to a group of people who had never read the Bible and have very mixed up ideas about religion but are seekers?

In other words, tell me Who is God using none traditional clichés, and phrases that non believers don't understand.

Give me,

WHO IS GOD

THE FATHER
THE SON
THE SPIRIT

and what the GOD-HEAD is

in common everyday normal street smarts. Make it real, honest, bible based and sincere, without being preachy, confusing, fearful or "Churchy"

Don't just say GOD IS LOVE explain How He loves, Whom He loves, Why He loves. Remember there is a whole world of people out there who have NO idea Who God is at all!

It will be a challenge. But a needed Challenge in this world we live in.

I truly look forward to your replies on this topic!

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

This restless world is just illusion
All at once, there’s a message from above
This senseless world of mass confusion ....
In the name of love
There’s a message from above ... (Sammy Hagar 2000)

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36666
04/26/01 11:26 PM
04/26/01 11:26 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
WHO IS GOD?
Good question. I never thought about it much.
I have just taken for granted that He is.

Who is He to me?
My creator, my friend, my Lord, my saviour, my confidante, the only one that understands me, the real me.

He put everything together and keeps it running like it should.

He loves me so much He can't stand the thought of losing me so does all He can to keep me in His family.
He has saved me from a life of debauchery and straightened me out.

He changed me so much for the better, family members that couldn't stand to talk to me or be around me actually enjoy my company now.

The Godhead?
It's sort of like a family, with 3 members, all working together in complete harmony.
You have the Father, 'the head' of the family, He oversees everything with the Help of His Son, Jesus (our Saviour), and the Holy Spirit is the active agent in our lives, working with us and helping us change.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but, I have a limited background.

The way I figure it, they all work together like a well oiled machine, each doing their part in the creation and running of the universe.
There isn't any jealousy or rancor because one thinks the other has more than they do.
Each is different, but the same.

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36667
04/28/01 04:39 AM
04/28/01 04:39 AM
Well Said Gerry,

Thanks for your thoughts. I try to post my ideas about this later this weekend.

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36668
05/02/01 04:49 PM
05/02/01 04:49 PM
Perhaps this topic is a harder Topic then I thought?

We must know whom God is if we choose to worship him. Perhaps the Problem is we don't know how to explain it in a manner everyday people will understand. Well if that is the case then we do indeed need to discuss this, because that is what we have been called to do.

Matthew 28
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Now how can we teach somebody about God if we can't explain who He is in a simple direct manner people can understand. I have seen many strong Christians flub up this simple task. I've done it myself. I think we all have. That is why I felt it was important we discuss the matter here. Have a place to practice. I don't know what anybody else in this Church out there is thinking, but for me, I know the hour is late. And I only have to get up form this seat and walk no more then 5 feet and look out the door to see a dying world out there that is perishing for want of the truth! The Simple Truth You and I have.

Are we like doctors with medication for our patients fatal condition refusing to administer it? I don't think so, (at least I hope not!). I think we are more like Doctors with a miracle cure that has the power, to cure a fatal disease, but we are unsure how to give the medicine to our patient in a way that it will work. What do we do? Go consult our Medical Training book! In this case the Bible! Make the issue secure in you mind, not just with "proof texts" but actually take the time to study and understand what those texts are saying. Absorb them into your heart so they become apart of your understanding. That is the only way we can explain it.

If nothing else I hope we come away from this topic understanding our need to be able to be real with people, and have the GOSPEL (GOOD NEWS) firmly planted in us in away that we can really share it.

Many times I think we know OF the GOSPEL but we don't Know it. That is we have a theological understanding that were not experiencing daily. Perhaps we do from time to time, like getting a glimpses here and there. But that is not a Daily walk.
We are human. And to often we walk around wrapped up in our own struggles, worrying about serious problems we have, financially, personally, family, emotionally and we completely lose Focus of GOD and what our objective is. Folks a Solider, who has lost His marching orders in the field is a well equipped time bomb! He wonders the jungle with allot a fire power and will only misuse it, unless he gets re-hooked up with his General. Where are you today? Are you like me sometimes, like the rest of us sometimes, carried away by serious issues, and struggles and before long, lost and floating further from God?

The Bible says this to us...
Matthew 6
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
OH that we as bible believing Christians would take the bible seriously as the word of God and DO IT! That we would allow it to impact our lives and TRANSFORM US! What a Glorious piece of advise and counsel, and even promise Matthew 6 gives us.

Who is God? Hmmm. This question has been with me all week. There are a Thousand token answers I could give you. But I don't want to do that. I have given deep thought before I wrote down any of my thoughts.

Who God is, is to big of a question to give an absolute to. It is something I plan to keep experiencing for life! Not just this Short life, but everlasting life!

But I can tell you this... I Can tell you who GOD has been to me.

1) Forgiveness.

Folks I am a sinner. Worse, I am the Chief of sinners. I don't say that to be dramatic. Nor do I say that to make a strong impacted theological statement here. It is the sad bitter truth about me. One I tried to hide for years (even after being in the church!) Before I came to Christ I was Guilty. I was Heavy hearted. Running but not knowing from what. Numbing myself with anything that worked from alcohol, to food, television, sex to whatever I found. Slowly destroying myself and people I can into contact with without even knowing it. It was a sad, had an empty life (no matter how I tried to fill it), which I struggled to make look good, and fulfilled hoping if nobody saw the Flaws in my life they must not be there. Still even Now as a Believer, if I should wander outside of Christ, for mere seconds, I and grabbed and sucked back into (although to a lesser degree, unless I stay there) that trap. If I Go outside of Christ I am a SINNER. It is only Christ who gives me the transforming power, and I only get it when I STAY IN HIM. SO I need HIS Daily forgiveness every second of my life.

2) God is My HEALING POWER

I was born broken, I was defected merchandise. I did not perform as my designer had planned. Defective, short circuited, and tampered with. Years of Sin in my genetic pool rendered me SIN SICK at birth. And it did not take me long as a reasoning being to understand I was not right, well, or prosperous. Nor to realize the same about the cruel, hatred filled world I lived in. Everything I came into contact with was darkened, polluted, and some form of Poison until I Met my HEALER, Jesus Christ. God seeks to HEAL ME. RESTORE ME, to my original BLUE PRINT he based me on. God want to re-MAKE into who it was he had in mind for VINCENT MACISAAC truly to be. I don't know that. Imagion that? I don't know whom i am to be... But God does, and He IS REMAKING me into who I am to be. (so much for all those pop psychology books about finding yourself!) I am so far from the mark, I can't see it. But I know God is redesigning me daily, minute by minute, second by second into who it is He originally wanted me to be, who the true me is to be. He is taking that empty, broken, defective shell, I arrived into this world as and making me feel WHOLE and complete in HIM!

3) GOD IS LOVE- HE is all the Love I have ever known.

When I had hurt Him, When I had rejected Him, when I had publicly and personal mocked Him. When I had despised for that He stood for. When I had set myself up to push him out of my life, and to make war with Him. When I was his Enemy.

He SIMPLY Loved me.

Romans 5
10For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

How can it be??? You know not how many times I have asked myself that question. It has perplexed my mind like no other has. How is it possible? It is not logical. Nor is it able (by and human understanding or effort) Yet it is so! Oh what great Love! Oh How the kind of Love can change the Sinner! Call back the lost, reach the hurt!

God is LOVE. Is not just another catchy catch phrase. No it is not. It is Statement of what He does. HE Loves. And God does not Change!

1 John 4
8He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Hebrews 13
8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

No mater who we are, what we do, how bad we sin, God does not change, He still Loves us!
That my Friends is AMAZING! Beyond all understanding.

My most beloved family and Friends to me can not say the same. Who is this God, who chases after Sinners such as us? And when He finds us, does not punish but rather LOVE and TRANSFORM. OH WHAT A GOD!

GOD IS LOVE.
All Love in the world exists because of His direct or indirect influence on this world. I Can only show the level of LOVE I have learned at the feet of My God. The more time I spend there, the more able I become to love the unlovable. And Folks let me tell you, that is what God doesm, is LOVE the UNLOVABLE. And that is just what I am (trust me, you never saw my sinful side! haha). We are all unlovable. Yet God LOVES US and Transforms us into HIS IMAGE! Can you imagine that? I could spend weeks thinking about such a concept! But for now lets us just say PRAISE THE LORD, Oh my soul, PRAISE THE LORD!

In my next post I will talk more about the God Head. In the mean time, I welcome and look forward to all your thoughts.

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36669
05/03/01 06:35 PM
05/03/01 06:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What is God?

Whatever a person makes it. It's a very personal matter. It can be a "He" or a "She" or a "Thing" or a "Thought" - God is what we believe it is. It's relative. That's not to say there is no absolute truth about God. But God is whatever you make it.

Another question is - What does your God do for you personally?

What we think affects the way we live our lives, which in turn affects our inner being. Perfect peace should be the ultimate byproduct of our belief system. If peace avoids us we ought to question the basis of our beliefs.

How is that for a beginning point?

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36670
05/03/01 07:39 PM
05/03/01 07:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
What is God?

Whatever a person makes it. It's a very personal matter. It can be a "He" or a "She" or a "Thing" or a "Thought" - God is what we believe it is. It's relative. That's not to say there is no absolute truth about God. But God is whatever you make it.

Well I don't really agree with your view Mike. God is WHAT He is. What we want Him to be, or who we make HIm in our mind does not change who He is at all.

HE calls him the "I AM" and says he does not change. To me He is making a definite statement of His Being.

------------------
~VINCE~ IN ~CHRIST~
SDA-TODAY moderator

In the name of love

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36671
05/03/01 07:47 PM
05/03/01 07:47 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Who is God?

Mankind may have his or her own individual thoughts on who God is, however, that doesn't make God the who that they may think He is. It's His Word that decides that.

What does God's own Word say about who He is?

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited May 03, 2001).]

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36672
05/05/01 05:59 AM
05/05/01 05:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
To start off this thread Vince wrote:

quote:
What or who is God? Sounds simple huh? Well not so fast. How would you answer this question to a group of people who had never read the Bible and have very mixed up ideas about religion but are seekers?

Great idea. But when I attempted to answer this question you trashed it? How far back in this discussion of "What is God" should a person start? Can we assume the person we're witnessing to believes the Bible account of God?

Seems to me anybody can sit down and write a book that claims to be the sole authority on God. But does that make it so? Look at all the books that are like that - the Bible is just one of many. Who are we to say our Bible is the only right one? Does our saying it make it true?

And can we lead people to Jesus by first trying to get them to believe our Bible is the only one that tells the truth about God? Or can we begin as I suggested in an earlier post:

quote:
Another question is - What does your God do for you personally?

What we think affects the way we live our lives, which in turn affects our inner being. Perfect peace should be the ultimate byproduct of our belief system. If peace avoids us we ought to question the basis of our beliefs.

What would be the result of such introspective spiritual searching?

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36673
05/12/01 12:50 AM
05/12/01 12:50 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
The question of who God is can only be answered subjectively by humans. We're told in scripture that we can't even imagine the things God has prepared for those who are saved. How then could we give any form of definition to the supplier of those things?

Who is God? He is the source of energy for a trillion suns. He creates intelligent, thinking life. And He becomes human, firstly to live a spotless life in our stead, but also because that's the only way created beings can comprehend and relate to His justice and mercy, and begin to fathom the surface depths of His unimaginable love for us. Who is God? Our Creator, who was present at our birth, and will preside at the moment of our death.
He is the source of all that is good in my life.
Alcoholics Anonymous sets a wonderful example regarding describing who God is, by referring to Him as a Higher Power. Once people can acknowledge a power outside of themselves, and permit that Power to change them, they begin to grow in the knowledge of how God works, and what He means to them.
Eternity won't be long enough to get to know who God is.

Re: SECOND TOPIC - WHO IS GOD??????? #36674
05/12/01 01:46 AM
05/12/01 01:46 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
It is difficult for finite minds to comprehend and explain infinity.

On one hand we have an infinite God, unexplainable, unapproachable.
On the other hand we have a God that was born just like us, lived in a human body and died a terible death that we might live a beautiful life, for eternity.

How do we explain this to someone that has no concept of who or what God is?
Very carefully.
We must be careful to not make Him so unapproachable they give up, nor should we make Him so like us they think of Him as just another man.

Hard? Yes.
Worth it?
Most definitely.
We need to pray and ask for guidance in presenting Him to others.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!