Is Your Transformer Working?
by Daryl Fawcett

I was sitting down taking it easy.

I can't remember exactly what I was doing at the time.

Suddenly! I heard a big bang!

And then just like that the lights went out.

I went outside to see what it was?

And what do you suppose it was?

It was a transformer close by where we lived.
It had exploded!

The transformer was no longer working AND neither were the lights.

The lights couldn't function. In fact they couldn't work at all without the transformer.

And you know something? We can't function without a transformer either!

What are the ingredients of a working transformer?

How many ingredients are there?

I have a job for the children and anybody else for that matter who wishes to participate.

I'll tell you what. You keep a record and I will tell you how many there are at the end and see if you got it correct.

The first ingredient is obvious isn't it?

The first ingredient is love.

First from God (READ JOHN 3:16,17))

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

And then from US! (READ JOHN 13:34,35)

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

So the FIRST ingredient of a working transformer is the LOVE of God toward us AND our grateful response of LOVE back to Him.

And how is this love manifested by God? (RE-READ JOHN 3:16)

And how is it manifested by us?
(READ ACTS 5:29-32)

Acts 5:29 But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.
30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus whom you killed by hanging him on a tree.
31 God exalted Him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him."

If you haven't already guessed it; it is manifested by our grateful and loving obedience to Him.

What is the next ingredient of a working transformer? (2nd)
(READ MATTHEW 9:2)

Matthew 9:2 And behold, they brought to him a paralytic, lying on his bed; and when Jesus saw their faith he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven."

The next ingredient is "forgiveness" namely His forgiving us of our sins.

And how is His forgiveness manifested by us? READ MATTHEW 6:9-15)

Matthew 6:9 "Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread;
12 And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors;
13 And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil.
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you;
15 but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

By our forgiving others of their trespasses against us. no matter what the trespass was.

You might call this another act of loving obedience.

That takes us to the next ingredient found in MATTHEW 28:18-20 (READ) (3rd)

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The next ingredient of a working transformer is power - His Power.

As Christ has the power so we too have been given His power.

What kind of power is being spoken about here?

The power to do as He has done. The power to forgive, the power to love resulting in the enabling power to obey Him and to do His will lovingly and gratefully.

LISTEN TO THIS FOUND IN EPHESIANS 6:10-18 (READ)

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

And then from our Scripture Reading: (READ 2 TIMOTHY 1:7-10)

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
9 Who hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

That leads me to the next question:

Is your transformer working?

Do we have the ingredients? How many ingredients?

1 - Do we love Him and others as He loves us?
2 - Do we forgive others as He has forgiven us?

3 - Do we have and use the power He has given us?

(READ ROMANS 12:1,2)

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

But how do we get all these ingredients of a working transformer?

But how do we become transformed by the renewing of our mind?

I believe Penny answered that question in her song "Seekers of You Heart."

(READ MATTHEW 7:7,8)

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

It is about putting God first in our lives because our lives are lived in vain without God.

Are we seekers of God's heart?

Are we seekers of His transforming power?

How do we know when a transformer is working and doing its job?

When the lights are shining in our homes and in this church as it is doing this morning.

Each shining light testifies to the power of the transformer.

Do you know who is the transformer?

Jesus is the transformer.

Do you know who are the lights?

You are the lights.

Is the transformer working and doing its work of transformation in your life?

Again I ask, Are we seekers of God's heart?
Are we seekers of His transforming power?

Daryl