HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,648
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, daylily, 1 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37975
10/27/00 03:49 AM
10/27/00 03:49 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
quote:
Monday 02 October 2000

Court Rules against USDA's Secrecy and Failure to Disclose Conflict of Interest in Setting Nutrition Policies

Washington, D.C.—The U.S. Department of Agriculture violated federal law by keeping secret certain documents used in setting federal nutrition policies and by hiding financial conflicts of interest among members of a diet advisory committee, U.S. District Judge James Robertson said in a ruling made public today.

The ruling is a major victory for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a Washington, D.C.-based research and advocacy group that had lodged the lawsuit in Federal District Court for the District of Columbia on December 15, 1999.

PCRM had argued that at least six of the 11 members of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which formulates the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, had financial ties to the meat, dairy, or egg industries that may have made it more likely that unhealthy foods would remain in the government's diet plan. PCRM's suit also charged that the government had undercut the public's ability to participate in and understand the Committee's activities. The Dietary Guidelines provide nutrition advice for all Americans and form the basis for all federal food programs, including the School Lunch Program.

While USDA had provided information showing financial conflicts of interest for six committee members, Judge Robertson faulted the Department for refusing to provide details on an additional conflict of interest involving a payment of more than $10,000 for one member. This additional conflict has not yet been revealed, but PCRM anticipates its disclosure within a matter of days.

"Having advisors tied to the meat or dairy industries is as inappropriate as letting tobacco companies decide our standards for air quality," said PCRM president Neal D. Barnard, M.D.

Mindy Kursban, PCRM's attorney, said, "We hope that this Court's strong ruling against the government will make the USDA think twice before appointing Committee members with inappropriate industry ties."

Prior to initiating the lawsuit, PCRM's efforts to change federal diet guidelines had won the support of the NAACP, former Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, Martin Luther King, III, Muhammad Ali, and many others who objected to the overpromotion of meat and dairy products given the prevalence of lactose intolerance and diet-related diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension, among racial minorities.

The doctors' group scored a partial victory in February, when the advisory committee accepted non-dairy foods, such as soymilk, as acceptable alternatives to dairy products.

Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine promotes preventive medicine and higher standards in medical research, education, and practice. PCRM is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C.

------------------

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37976
10/27/00 03:57 AM
10/27/00 03:57 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The history of the food pyramid and its predecessors, the four food groups, reveals that it was not designed by any agency truly interested in human health, but in selling products, chiefly meat, milk, and eggs. It was the food boards of the producers of these items who first drew, produced, and distributed the food groups posters and information. So they made the four food groups meat, dairy, fruits-vegetables, and cereals.

The bible gave us four food groups- fruits, grains, legumes and nuts, and vegetables. Now that is a food guide we can safely follow.

------------------

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37977
03/11/01 11:28 PM
03/11/01 11:28 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Considering that we have to work with what is available, I am going to place some of the vegan and vegetarian food pyramids here. They do give some guidelines that are helpful in planning a nutritutious diet.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37978
03/06/02 07:33 AM
03/06/02 07:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37979
03/06/02 07:56 AM
03/06/02 07:56 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
Wow! David! I am sure glad I am a vegetarian, I would have lost last night's supper for sure! Wherever did you dig up that animated beefsteak from?? I think I saw a tumor jumping out of it!!!

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37980
03/09/02 08:04 PM
03/09/02 08:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was a good one wasn't it Dora?

I am still chuckling over that graphic.

But, it does make a serious point.

Re: Can We Trust the Food Pyramid? #37981
03/10/02 10:11 PM
03/10/02 10:11 PM
Amelia  Offline
Portland,Oregon USA
Well.....now I know my gag reflex still works. Thanks alot David.

Amelia

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!