HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H), 3,310 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What About Social Drinking? #38389
06/08/04 04:07 AM
06/08/04 04:07 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
That is why I would like to see some scripture regarding this. You can't convict someone of Biblical truth by using Sister White's writings only and then tell them its in the Bible. That would be like me going to feed the homless and telling them "Ellen White says not to use tobacco"... They would look at me like some nutbar, but if you can show people from the Bible then that would be a different story.By the way I don't see Ellen White being taught or promoted as sola scrptura at a baptism class. Jesus came to call the sinners to repentance, not call sinners to get cleaned sit in a baptism class for a few weeks, then maybe clean themselves up and see Him.. Ridiculous really.

God Bless,
Will

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38390
06/08/04 04:29 AM
06/08/04 04:29 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
-Bravo Will!
-To take it a step further, I do not believe that Ellen White would want us making her writtings into such a "religious" rite of passage. YES her inspired writtings are fit for council and guidance BUT too many times we (SDA's) take all of her writtings (inspired and not) as gospel.
-Let us understand by SCRIPTURE, and with the use of EGW's, documented inspired, writings as council.

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38391
06/08/04 02:48 PM
06/08/04 02:48 PM
D
danielw  Offline
Japan
This problem with baptism/tobacco hit me very squarely between the eyes 3 years ago. Two homeless men i was leading had come near the point of decision for Christ. The only thing keeping them from being baptised was tobacco. They had quite a good knowledge of the Bible, and assented to its principles, and agreed that Jesus Christ was the Saviour (but a little weak on the last one).

I told them that nothing should stand between them and God. They had to give all to the Lord. To be baptised they had to:
1. Repent
2. Confess their faith
3. Follow Christ
Both of them said, without my prodding, that they could not give up tobacco. Some church members at the time who still had any love for the homeless said i was being too harsh by saying they were not ready for baptism because they were using tobacco, so i studied this topic thoroughly. Here are some quotes i found:
1. The Gospel of Health, March 1, 1898:
quote:
"Shall those who have had more opportunities and much precious light, who enjoy the advantages of education, make the plea that they cannot cut away from unhealthful practises? Why do not those who have excellent reasoning powers reason from cause to effect? Why do they not advocate reform by planting their feet firmly on principle, determined not to take alcoholic drink or use tobacco? They are poisons, and their use is a violation of God's law.
2. Second Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, January 25, 1881:
quote:
Men professing godliness offer their bodies upon Satan's altar, and burn the incense of tobacco to his Satanic majesty. Does this statement seem severe? The offering must be presented to some deity. As God is pure and holy, and will accept nothing defiling its character, he refuses this expensive, filthy, and unholy sacrifice; therefore we conclude that Satan is the one who claims the honor.

Jesus died to rescue man from the grasp of Satan. He came to set us free by the blood of his atoning sacrifice. The man who has become the property of Jesus Christ, and whose body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, will not be enslaved by the pernicious habit of tobacco-using. His powers belong to Christ, who has bought him with the price of blood. His property is the Lord's. How, then, can he be guiltless in expending every day the Lord's intrusted capital to gratify an appetite which has no foundation in nature?

...In the indulgence of hurtful lusts, professed Christians are daily enfeebling their powers, making it impossible to glorify God.

3. 1 Thessalonians 5:23:
quote:
"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit, and soul, and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
I tried to find ways to get them to quit. They didn't, and one of them got quite anti-Bible later that year, and the other is still living the lifestyle he wishes. One of the homeless men who has studied the Bible a lot with me quit tho, at the age of 69! Praise God. I know God is leading him, but the seed seems to get picked off in the air by Satan before it ever hits the ground in his case. Please breathe a prayer for him.

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38392
06/09/04 03:33 AM
06/09/04 03:33 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Christ said He would never reject anyone who came to Him:
quote:

John 6;37
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

At least there is an example of the thief on the cross who believed in Christ and was saved.

God Bless,
Will

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38393
06/09/04 03:42 AM
06/09/04 03:42 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Daniel Richards: please answer this question...which of Ellen Whites writings are inspirational and which are not?

And of those that are, do you feel they are less inspired than the prophets writings in the Bible?

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38394
06/08/04 06:25 PM
06/08/04 06:25 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What ever happened to the lesser light pointing to the greater light? It seems that is is the otherway around. Can anyone expand on the justification of placing Sister White's writings above scripture?
God Bless,
Will

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38395
06/08/04 07:46 PM
06/08/04 07:46 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Here are some words from Sister White regarding the volatile subject of mis-using her writings to supercede the Bible.

quote:

The Spirit was not given-- nor can it ever be bestowed--to supersede the Bible; for the Scriptures explicitly state that the Word of God is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. . . . Isaiah declares, "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isa. 8:20).--The Great Controversy, Introduction, p. vii. {3SM 30.5}

quote:

Testimonies Never Contradict the Bible.--The Bible must be your counselor. Study it and the testimonies God has given; for they never contradict His Word.--Letter 106, 1907. {3SM 32.3}

If the Testimonies speak not according to this word of God, reject them. Christ and Belial cannot be united.--Testimonies, vol. 5, p. 691. {3SM 32.4}

God Bless,
Will

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38396
06/08/04 07:57 PM
06/08/04 07:57 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There is a topic on the purpose of the writings of EGW in the SDA Church Concerns forum, therefore, let us discuss that aspect of this topic there, which should help us in thsi and other topics in which the writings of EGW are used.

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38397
06/08/04 08:29 PM
06/08/04 08:29 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Ack! Sorry about that Daryl. If you like you can delete my post, but I would like to copy it first into the forum you mentioned.

God Bless,
Will

Re: What About Social Drinking? #38398
06/08/04 08:32 PM
06/08/04 08:32 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
All done Daryl [Smile] I copied it over.

God Bless,
Will

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!