HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Americans getting taller, much heavier #38431
10/28/04 12:27 AM
10/28/04 12:27 AM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
quote:
Americans are getting a little taller and a lot fatter. Adults are roughly an inch taller than they were in the early 1960s, on average, and nearly 25 pounds heavier, the government reported Wednesday. . . .

The report also documented an increase in weight when measured by body mass index, a scale that takes into account both height and weight. Average BMI for adults, ages 20 to 74, has increased from about 25 to 28 over the 40-year span.

Anyone with a BMI of 25 and up is considered overweight, and those with BMIs of 30 or more are considered obese.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=202831

To calculate your BMI, go here:

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

or here:

http://www.blonz.com/bmi.htm

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38432
10/28/04 02:58 AM
10/28/04 02:58 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
John, I believe the reason people are getting taller (maybe one reason) is that they are consumming milk products which have hormones in them. Do you think this could cause this trend? I believe more and more people are encouraged to use milk today as well as cheese. Just 30 years ago we didn't have the accessability to ready-made foods in the grocery stores and restaurants so much.

Today you can find cheese sticks, cheese crackers, cheese bread, cheese pizza (of course), cheesy chips, cheese in everything it seems. My personal opinion is this must have something to do with the increase of cancer today.

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38433
10/28/04 04:24 PM
10/28/04 04:24 PM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Oh, certainly it does. And a lot of other diseases!

There are plenty of articles about milk and cancer at

http://www.notmilk.com

Dairy products are full of growth hormones, which make people....grow. According to Robert Cohen, in 1969 the average American ate about 10 pounds of cheese. By 1999 that had increased to 30 pounds per year. In 1969, the average person ate 18 pounds of ice cream; by 1999, that had increased to 30 pounds.

Those figures indicate a lot right by themselves.

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38434
10/28/04 06:11 PM
10/28/04 06:11 PM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
You would think Americans would be more careful about what they eat!

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38435
10/30/04 09:07 PM
10/30/04 09:07 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
And Canadians too!!!

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38436
11/07/04 04:58 AM
11/07/04 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not getting any taller.

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38437
11/08/04 04:01 AM
11/08/04 04:01 AM
E
elf  Offline
Posting New Member
B.C.
Hi all,

I have to throw in my 2cents worth here. We have heard the idea for many years that bovine growth hormone in our milk is responsible for increased growth, early puberty, and a host of other ills. While I am not advocating the use of dairy products, I do find there to be a flaw with the hormone arguement.

My son has a rare disorder which causes his pituitary not to produce human growth hormone. Because of this he is treated with a synthetic hormone which has to be given by injection, because growth hormone, like insulin is completely broken down by digestion and not one bit is absorbed in a form that the body can use.

Some nutrition writers seem to think that our increased stature is due to the increased protein and fat content of our diets. Vegetarian and particularly vegan children tend to be shorter than others throughout childhood.

elf

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38438
11/07/04 08:01 PM
11/07/04 08:01 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Then how was it that Adam and Eve and the others were so much taller prior to the Great Worldwide Flood? We know they were not meat and dairy eaters.

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38439
11/10/04 06:59 PM
11/10/04 06:59 PM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
elf, I got curious about what you posted, about hormones being destroyed in the stomach. Sounds reasonable. So I sent Robert Cohen an e-mail last night to inquire about the question of hormones surviving digestion and getting into the human system. He replied by e-mail that it would be too time-consuming to answer by e-mail, and asked if he could call me on the phone (!). So I sent him my phone number, and he called this morning.

One thing he said was that in nature, mammal milk serves a special function, and that is to make babies grow. Human mother's milk makes human babies grow, right? So there's obviously a special mechanism in place to assure that growth hormones in milk survive digestion by the baby, whatever the species.

The gist of what he told me about cow's milk was that the most powerful growth hormone in milk, called IGF-I, does indeed survive human digestion. This is because fat and casein molecules in cow's milk attach themselves to the milk's IGF-I molecules and protect them from our stomach acid. Some of the IGF-I is destroyed during digestion, but there's a LOT of that stuff in milk, so a good amount survives. It's often seen in nature that more of a certain thing is produced than is needed, for similar reasons. Male human sperm cells is one example, alligator and sea turtle babies are others. Cow's milk also has a buffering agent which neutralizes stomach acid. Drinking milk can change our empty-stomach pH from its normal 1.8 to a nearly-neutral 6.0 in short order.

Below are some quotes gathered from some of Mr. Cohen's NotMilk newsletters:

quote:

There are hundreds of millions of different proteins in nature and only one hormone that is identical between any two species. That powerful growth hormone is IGF-I. IGF-I survives digestion and has been identified as a key factor in the growth of every human cancer.

There are four thousand animals in the animal kingdom and millions of different proteins. Each protein is different, save one. There is a miracle of nature at work here...a cosmic coincidence that is so improbable as to approach the unthinkable. IGF-I in humans and cows is identical. A protein hormone containing seventy amino acids...a perfect match, picking the same amino acid seventy times in a row. Our most powerful growth hormone is identical to a cow's most powerful growth hormone. IGF-I, both in humans and bovines, contains 70 amino acids in the same exact order and gene sequence. A coincidence, the odds of which are astronomical.

A study published in the May 9, 1998 issue of the British medical journal, Lancet, revealed the absolute correlation of high levels of this powerful hormone in the bodies of women with breast cancer. IGF-I has made front page news in every newspaper in America as a result of that paper. Many months earlier, a similar study found IGF-I levels elevated in males with prostate cancer. The prostate cancer study was published in the journal Science in January of 1998. Many scientists call our most powerful growth hormone the key factor in the growth and proliferation of cancer. What these scientists do not realize is that IGF-I is identical in humans and cows. One 12-ounce glass of milk doubles the amount of free IGF-I in the human body.

:::

Does drinking milk increase levels of IGF-I in the human bloodstream? Two studies have confirmed that worst fear for milk drinkers.

The first, performed by Robert Heaney and published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association in October of 1999 (vol. 99, no. 10), determined:

"Serum IGF-I levels increased significantly in milk drinkers, an increase of about 10% above baseline but was unchanged in the control group."

A more recent European study published in the September, 2004 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (Volume 58,9:1211-6) found that blood levels of IGF-I increased by a factor of 19% in a group of milk-drinking children and was unchanged in the control group.

Summary: IGF-I has been identified as a key factor in the growth of cancer. IGF-I is identical in human and cow. Drinking milk increases IGF-I levels.

Re: Americans getting taller, much heavier #38440
11/12/04 04:44 AM
11/12/04 04:44 AM
E
elf  Offline
Posting New Member
B.C.
Hi,
Our bodies convert the GH produced in our pituitary to IGF1 which is what the body uses at the cellular level to produce growth. And yes, high blood levels of IGF1 are correlated with many human cancers. But this is something our bodies produce naturally. It doesnt just come from cows milk.

I have read that human milk contains growth factors that contribute to the growth of babies. When my son was a nursing baby that was not growing, I questioned his endocrinologist about whether the growth factors in human milk should be helping him to grow and he told me that they are destroyed by digestion. Perhaps the situation with hormones in cows milk is different than in human milk. Or perhaps he didn't know what he is talking about.

If the blood levels of IGF are so significantly elevated by drinking milk, perhaps I could be saving my family $300 a month by having my son drink lots of milk instead of using medication.

I'm not advocating the use of cows milk when I question this, but I do see lots of instances when people take a pet idea and run wacky with it, going into some unsupported territory with their ideas. Particularly when there is the conspiracy aspect of it (as in government sources deny that there is any problem from hormones in cows milk). Which is a theme seen on the nomilk website.

Sorry to be causing controversy here, but I'm still skeptical. This is great food for thought and discussion!
elf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!