HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38838
05/31/01 01:35 AM
05/31/01 01:35 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is a wide open topic which resulted from the belief statements made so far, and it is OK to continue the present discussion here.

Psalms 119:165 "Great peace
have they which love thy law:
and nothing shall offend them."

Daryl

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38839
05/31/01 05:05 PM
05/31/01 05:05 PM
J
JPS  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Dallas, TX
Daryl, what are you using for your source of official Presbyterian doctrine? What are you quoting from?

------------------
Col 3:16; Eph 4:29,32; 2 Cor 7:1

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38840
06/01/01 09:42 PM
06/01/01 09:42 PM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Justin, I've just re-read your last post, and I noticed something you said that I didn't entirely understand. Here is your quote:
"On the definition of sin, Romans 14:23 - "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" - which you've quoted also defines sin as something of "doubt". Isn't this within the area of human consciousness and will - hence our choice?"
Are you saying that the opposite of faith is doubt? I'm unsure if that is accurate, given that faith is a substance rather than a description. I would think that an absence of faith is just that. Your example is like saying - I think - that the opposite of food is hunger.
There is so much in these posts to discuss, and to think about, that it might be more helpful to reduce things to one aspect at a time. (I know that's not always possible!)
I look forward to hearing a response before I attempt to write more.
Zyph.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38841
06/02/01 01:36 AM
06/02/01 01:36 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
I said I wouldn't contribute until I received a response, but I've just finished reading most of Larry Kirkpatrick's posts. Larry, I have no disagreement with your basic statement about sin. But you have said it is MORE to do with what we do than anything else. Then I assume you also believe that obedience must be more to do with what we do than anything else.
If you believe faith - or the faith RELATIONSHIP with God - is essential for us to truly obey, then isn't it also true that the absence of a faith relationship with God is a causative factor in why apparrent obedience is sin (i.e. filthy rags)?
That's not Augustinian. He believed in a doctrine that condemned people for being born sinful. We know God doesn't. But not being held responsibile for being born sinful is not related to saying that we sin because we are born sinful. It's only after the new birth that we have the capacity to not sin. Or do you believe that unconverted people can obey?
Zyph.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38842
06/02/01 02:06 AM
06/02/01 02:06 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
These posts are full of various thoughts, therefore, feel free to do them as separate topics in another more appropriate forum, or continue the discussion here.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited June 01, 2001).]

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38843
06/02/01 02:22 AM
06/02/01 02:22 AM
J
Justin  Offline
New York
Dear Zyph,

Happy Sabbath to you!

I can see from reading your post that you and I don't have much difference in the understanding of sin. Perhaps this is also true with Pastor Kirkpatrick.

What I have meant by "doubt" with regard to "whatsoever not of faith" is this:

"The faith of Jesus." It is talked of, but not understood. What constitutes the faith of Jesus, that belongs to the third angel's message? Jesus becoming our sin-bearer that He might become our sin-pardoning Saviour. He was treated as we deserve to be treated. He came to our world and took our sins that we might take His righteousness. And faith in the ability of Christ to save us amply and fully and entirely is the faith of Jesus. {3SM page 172}

I believe all acts of unfaith stem from our distrust and/or doubt in "the ability of Christ to save us AMPLY and FULLY and ENTIRELY". This doubt is within the domain of our conscious decision-making and as such is within our will, choice and doing.

To quote Dennis Priebe, "Because we are born with fallen natures in a fallen world, we are naturally predisposed to commit acts of sin. The act of sin occurs, not when the deed is done, but when the decision is made by the mind to harbor thoughts or motivations which are contrary to God's will. The decision to sin, unless repented of, leads inevitably to a state of sin, which is seperation and estrangement from God."

Thus, you are correct in that the natural (uncoverted) man cannot escape the committing of sin.

Justin

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38844
06/03/01 07:23 AM
06/03/01 07:23 AM
zyph  Offline
Dedicated Member
Australia
Justin,
I'm relieved we have agreed on something! I do agree with you on the choice thing, too, but only as we respond to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. I think there are texts which indicate that God is the One who initiates everything, and our part is to respond. (I apologise for my lack of scholarship with the bible. I have no concordance at present, and I'm getting a bit blind in my old age, so the computer screen is easier to read.) I know God writes the law on our hearts, and empowers us to obey at the time of our conversion, so then choice becomes ours to truly exercise. But aren't there sins we commit by mistake - inexperience - rather than wilfully?
Zyph.

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38845
06/05/01 04:59 AM
06/05/01 04:59 AM
Larry Kirkpatrick  Offline
Pastor
Veteran Member
Highland, CA, USA
Zyph:
It looks like we're together. Any true obedience can only come when faith is involved. Also, God initiates, for our broken humanity has nothing in itself that of itself will seek after God. It has a twisted, even reversed nature that still seeks what it will as an object of wroship, but resists God Himself even while being attracted to righteousness. As we have both surmised, the end result of such is spiritual disaster in any of several forms.

I'm glad we are past the "relationship" issue. What I meant there to suggest was simply that when we boil things down to concrete expressions, real, raw-naked obedience is really the best determinant of what is going on. I never meant to imply that this obedience means anything apart from faith. Without faith it is impossibel to please God, as without faith it is impossible truly to obey.
LK

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38846
06/10/01 09:40 PM
06/10/01 09:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I believe I can now continue on to the next few questions and answers on the 1st Commandment:

quote:

5. Which is the first commandment?

A. The first commandment is, Thou shalt have no other gods before me. [a]

[a]. Ex. 20:3; Deut. 5:7

6. What is required in the first commandment?

A. The first commandment requireth us to know and acknowledge God to be the only true God, and our God; and to worship and glorify him accordingly [a].

[a]. I Chron. 28:9; Isa. 45:20-25; Matt. 4:10

7. What is forbidden in the first commandment?

A. The first commandment forbiddeth the denying [a], or not worshipping and glorifying the true God as God [b.], and our God [c]; and the giving of that worship and glory to any other, which is due to him alone [d].

[a]. Ps. 14:1
[b.] Rom. 1:20-21
[c]. Ps. 81:10-11
[d]. Ezek. 8:16-18; Rom. 1:25

8. What are we specially taught by these words, "before me," in the first commandment?

A. These words, before me, in the first commandment teach us, that God, who seeth all things, taketh notice of, and is much displeased with, the sin of having any other God [a].

[a]. Deut. 30:17-18; Ps. 44:20-21; Ezek. 8:12

Any thoughts on what they stated regarding the 1st Commandment?

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited June 10, 2001).]

Re: Some Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church #38847
06/19/01 01:00 AM
06/19/01 01:00 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Since nobody has commented on the posts on the 1st Commandment, I will now move on to what they believe about the 2nd Commandment.

quote:

9. Which is the second commandment?

A. The second commandment is, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thy self to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. (a)

(a). Ex. 20:4-6; Deut. 5:8-10

10. What is required in the second commandment?

A. The second commandment requireth the receiving, observing, and keeping pure and entire, all such religious worship and ordinances as God hath appointed in his Word (a).

(a). Deut. 12:32; Matt. 28:20

11. What is forbidden in the second commandment?

A. The second commandment forbiddeth the worshipping of God by images (a), or any other way not appointed in his Word (b).

(a). Deut. 4:15-19; Rom. 1:22-23
(b). Lev. 10:1-2; Jer. 19:4-5; Col. 2:18-23

12. What are the reasons annexed to the second commandment?

A. The reasons annexed to the second commandment are, God's sovereignty over us (a), his propriety in us (b), and the zeal he hath to his own worship (c).

(a). Ps. 95:2-3, 6-7; 96:9-10
(b). Ex. 19:5; Ps. 45:11; Isa. 54:5
(c). Ex. 34:14; ICor. 10:22

Any more comments on what they believe about the 2nd Commandment, or on what I have been posting so far?

Daryl

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!