HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ed's story #40720
09/19/00 10:40 AM
09/19/00 10:40 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Now I know how Charlie Brown felt.

------------------
What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Gerry B.

Re: Ed's story #40721
09/19/00 02:17 PM
09/19/00 02:17 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Gerry ya gotta understand - it takes a whole night to one finger type a few pages. I have to wait till nights off, by then I am usually forgetting to type about it, after all to me it's just my story & I am already familiar with it. (at least what I can remember. ????? I think ???? What was that ????)

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Ed's story #40722
09/22/00 01:33 PM
09/22/00 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Part-4
Time for back to Brevard - Bozey, the kid & the cat.

As a kid I wore a brace built into a heavy brown shoe on my left leg from just below the knee down to the foot.

There was a really great dog my cousins had, we all called him Bozey.Real name Bozo, but the trend was in Western NC to put the (ie or y sound) behind a lot of names. This dog liked it {just so we loved on him a lot & we did-he was a sloppy kisser for sure.} He was a white pit-bull with a brown ear and circle around one eye like the dog on TV at that time.

This particular time there was still a small bank descending from our neighbour's yard onto our yard in front of the back porch/kitchen entrance. There was a juniper/red cedar style tree with a bottom limb just low enough for me to tiptoe or jump and reach. A kid worn path went right under that branch.

That day was like any other till a large German shepherd came into the neighborhood. He was menacing the kids from all the immediate surrounding families {even the bully who just had to live next to me.)

God had to teach these two, there was no dog to cat 101 language school that we knew of. Bozey and Atomic (Tom for short) cooked up quite a daring plan. If either one failed it could get them both killed.

Bozey got this dog to chase him by confronting him then running slow enough for the tip of his tail to stay just tantilizingly at jaw length ahead of that big screaming mouthful of smelly teeth. That big dog was being run till he was obsessed with Bozey burgers for a right-now snack.

Faster that Jehu's speedometer Bozey circled around and went under the tree coming down from the yard above ours and preparing to go down below our yard and out of the neighborhood. As Bozey went under the tree limb, Tom jumps out of hiding on the limb with an olympian dog slashing scream and this huge cat anchors onto the mid back of the surprised big dog and immediately goes into rototill (high gear-deep plow) with his back feet and securely anchored with his jaws & big front paws.

The dog is no-longer the attacker for Bozey has wheeled around and is nipping the dog where it hurts. These three were last seen leaving the neighborhood at high speed and a lota noise.

Soon Bozey & Tom came back, tired but happy, both so pleased with themselves. I don't know who else got to see it, except me. Big bad Bowser never did come back to our neighborhood again. Which is good, because as I said he was threatening all us kids. God used Bozey & Tom working together to champion us kids that day.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F. Sutton (edited September 22, 2000).]

Re: Ed's story #40723
10/07/00 06:57 AM
10/07/00 06:57 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Part-5

49 years ago today, I was born. I think all could say with me that I was(we were); born for a purpose. God has a special path built for us and within the width of that path is room for only one thing. Following the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. The tasks involved may vary but the purpose and intent and motivation for these tasks does not.

The warm regard within Jesus the Lamb/Lion, that animates Him will continue to animate me as long as I am walking with Him on the portion of His streight and narrow path that is assigned for me. He sees to that and encourages me to come closer to His fire within.

You can only get warm from a campfire by being near it. Even if it grew to a bonfire to a forestfire, you could still only get warm from it, by being near enough to it to do you any good.

Life took a lot of seeming detours, which I don't feel like writting about on Sabbath.

But an over-riding hand has cleared a way and set the path before me all my life, from even my earliest days.

Right now how I wish I could hear Ralph Henderson sing "Refiners Fire" again, as he would play on his 12 string Martin guitar. It created a yearning intense enough to be painful, yet very sweet.

I do not have the words or music to that song, I wish I could put them here but I can not.

Perhaps they would be intense but sweet for you too?

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F. Sutton (edited October 08, 2000).]

Re: Ed's story #40724
10/07/00 07:58 PM
10/07/00 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Wheeeee....Edward...I liked it, I liked it!

Great reading....(me proud that Linda acknowledged me as being even more distressing than her for Gerry's patience.. )

just loooved that kitty story

your Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan Rügemer (edited October 07, 2000).]

Re: Ed's story #40725
10/08/00 10:32 AM
10/08/00 10:32 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

It was difficult to one finger type part-4. When you are nearsighted even with glasses, laughing so hard that you cry & keep having to stop for wiping the eyes & blowing the nose slows down the typing.

Glad you liked my "kitty Tom joint biography segment". Tom lived to be at least 23 yrs old, he was the last surviving direct link from my Dad - given to me.

When he was old he was very saggy in the tummy, after years of cat fight damage. The female cats coming on the farm where we moved to after my Dad died; we real mad at Tom because being neutered as a kitten he could do nothing for them when they were in heat.

The neighbor below the farm boundary had at least a dozen cats - plus more strays & just as many big dogs.

If Tom had not been neutered he would have been tired and happy all the time. Probably renamed Casanova T. Cat by all the females but that was not to be. If he had never been neutered he might have become a mean tom cat and that is what my Dad was afraid of with his infant son and "nipped it in the bud" (ouch).

But that’s too far ahead in the story. It's time to go back to Brevard & Chef Eddie and the open refrigerator.

(I keep forgetting to build in word processer software & spell check first.)

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Ed's story #40726
10/08/00 11:54 AM
10/08/00 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Any guy with a heart for animals is a guy for me...

Joan

Re: Ed's story #40727
10/08/00 12:24 PM
10/08/00 12:24 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Part-5
Back to Brevard & Chef Eddie and the open refrigerator.

I was about five years old & just getting into laser & Einstein’s theories, and had been reading proficiently for about a year. I was a mad scientist / techno geek in the making & an avid devote of my “idol” my Dad, as well as TV and comic books, books in general, (he bought me 100's of reference books & National Geographics & sets of Encyclopedias and so on.) Cookbooks were well ensconced in there somewhere too. Dad was from the old school (literally) and growing up - had been schooled in the best schools of Europe . He was among many things capable of equaling almost any chef in the kitchen.

Guess who picked up the genetic bent to concocting things ? He could whip up a grilled cheese sandwich or a crown rack of lamb or prime rib, but there was something about Mama’s cooking that was every day, nose flaring, tummy growling, forgot to use soap and washed my hands in the now muddy towel - GOOD !

I guess when you’re always hungry it helps. One thing boys are - is - hungry. Just a little too high for full viewing on the kitchen counter was Mama’s electric skillet, that she did all these fantastic things with-that smelled and tasted so gooood.

One day when the grownups were somewhere else & I saw a chance to try it out. I went in the kitchen and pulled up a chair so I would be tall enough to do & see & enjoy stuff. I had pulled most of the eggs & bacon out of the fridge and was busy imitating how I had seen it done before. I remembered the heat settings I had see Mom & others use & put that on there. Reasonably skillfully broken & checked the eggs for bad spots the oiled or buttered(don’t remember which) the pan a little & filled one side with eggs frying “sunny side up’ and had bacon sizzling covering the other side & had even salted & peppered the top side of the eggs already.

Little did I stop to think that the familiar mix of smells that helped whet my ever present two-hollow legged appetite would not stop at the kitchen door. Whoops I got caught. I hadn’t thought about anything but cooking stuff my self, not what to do with it after cooking it, or cleaning up or nothing, just cooking stuff. I am still somewhat like that, but now sometimes plan ahead better.

I think Dad was home, I am no longer sure. However, soon I was to be taught to cook so that I would not possibly ruin all the families food . I don’t remember getting in trouble, but do remember getting trained how to store food after cooking & how to serve it & clean up the kitchen . To me then the sink was so big that it was almost like a swimming pool full of warm bubble bath to play in. In fact when younger I got baths in that same big stainless steel kitchen sink. Garbage disposals & sprayers were considered new things in the little mountain town of Brevard , NC.

Sitting here typing I am trying to remember some of my favorite foods from then I would still eat now. Well for one, rutabagas (the big waxed ones you had to peel & cut in slivers or chunks and stew for a while.) And Parsnips and turnips, mashed potatoes piled high & steaming - flagrant and topped with margarine or homemade dark gravy, whole cooked onions caramelized and savory in dark broth, fried okra & biscuits , sliced store bought bread was good but homemade bread & corn bread & such was lots better. Dairy and meat was plentiful and my Dad’s moto was “eat the fat it makes it taste better” That was before we knew better. Still in the 1950's ,when it was safe to walk to and from school or even across town any hour of the day or night - by boy or girl, man or woman. Most people did not suspect disease in their foods or even know there was a better way to eat than how they had been raised for generations.

The kitchen for me is a place of creation, discovery, culinary passion, triumphs of success and the agony of defeat (not to mention the smell & humiliation incurred when neighborhood starving semi-wild dogs refuse to enter the same yard with much less eat, one my many disasters. Oh well the sewer system still accepts them gracefully . Some of them I should have sold to the military for biologic weapons or exotic alternate fuel sources - if only I could remember how I created those stinking almost radioactive messes in the first place.)

My Mom possibly saw it coming after I mixed some of my Dad’s potent stinky vitamins in a big coffee can and boiled them on the stove. This created a thick dark green, blue, gray foam that promptly flowed down the burner onto the oven jacket where it could not be reached and stayed for the next six to nine months till it was fully destroyed by the heat from the oven. Mama had the flu and was off work, in bed sick as a dog. I ran in squealing the can was on the burner & the burner was red hot & I couldn’t get it off . She reached for her glasses, got up, and wearily got in the kitchen, remedied the situation on the stove-top and I think I got a whipping for that one. The thanksgiving and Christmas dinners smelled really different that year - even though it was summer when I did this escapade. The aroma was reminiscent of B-vitamins, fish oil, burnt popcorn , and a hint of sewer redolently served up on what ever was cooked on that stove for a long time.

Cooking had become one of the loves of my life, but was intertwined with a passion to create the different, the new, the strange and exotic, hopefully the eatable & good tasting ; as well as imitate others. Life was never the same. Even more fun was the back porch, chemistry sets, kitchen ingredients, old or new sheets, scissors, markers, staplers, but that’s another story.

I still wonder what God’s favorite food is ? If I will get to cook in Heaven ?

I am tickled to know that they had chilli in Jesus’s day. They tithed cumin {He said so} - That’s all I needed to know - To Me - they had some form of chilli.

Well enough for now, more later, as I learn how to “sew” with a stapler and set the back porch on fire with sparklers. My parents earned their gray hair.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Re: Ed's story #40728
10/08/00 08:11 PM
10/08/00 08:11 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Well, if he was taught to clean up the kitchen and store the food, it has become a hazy memory that only occasionally pops into the conscience and makes an appearance in our home!!! He still concocts but he usually forgets the rest.

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited October 08, 2000).]

Re: Ed's story #40729
10/08/00 10:49 PM
10/08/00 10:49 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

May I remind you in my own defense, that after a week batching on my own; you & Suzanne came home to a very clean kitchen and a tidy house. When on my own the housework doesn't occur by evolution, only mold in the bottom of the fridge does that.

Oh yes that was cloroxed away too.

I can clean, I never said I always enjoyed it.

------------------
Edward F. Sutton

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!