HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40855
06/01/02 11:49 PM
06/01/02 11:49 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Hello all....the testimony I am going to relate here is from our "Family Sabbath School Time" we have at our church from 9:00 to about 10:40. It was given by Liz. I was so blessed by today's program I just had to try and get Liz to write the story down for me so I could put it here. Well praise God she did better than that, she gave me her notes. I am not going to write it all out...just the main points to get the story down. Here it is:

quote:

A Careless Word - A Lost Soul

How often in our daily life do we say something impulsively...carelessly and it effects people's lives...possibly their eternal life?

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.[/b]

James 3:5
[i]Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

James 3:6
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

About a year ago Pastor Art offered a class on "How to give a Bible Study, which I took. Last September he called me and asked me to give a Bible study to someone. The man was in a convalescent home. When Pastor Art and I met Donald, my heart went out to him. He was a 86 year old man who obviously loved the Lord and was in a great deal of pain, because he was convinced that he had grieved the Holy Spirit and there was no hope for him.

Twenty-five years ago someone in the church told Donald that he didn't deserve to be a Christian. for 25 years he daily suffered the agony of separation from Christ and the fear that he would go to hell. He believed that because he had grieved the Holy Spirit, that he would never be forgiven for his sins and his life was hopeless.

For most of the nine months when I went for my weekly visit with Donald I would find him crying over the fact that he would never be with Jesus. He wanted to be baptized, but he felt that his sins were too great to be forgiven and he smoked cigarettes.

He was 86 years old and had smoked since he was 12 years old. He has been an alcoholic and had given that up two years ago, but he couldn't overcome the smoking. I asked the Doctor to prescribe some medication that would cut down on the desire for nicotine. It only made him nauseous; we tried the Nicolette gum, it stuck to his dentures. Over the next few weeks he would stop for a few days and then he would become upset at someone or a situation at the convalescent home and he would start all over again. He went through deep valleys of depression. He just could not stop the cigarettes.

One day someone told me about something that they had developed at Loma Linda to stop the nicotine addiction. When I told Donald that I would get it for him, He said, "No, I'm going to stop the way that you did, by giving it to the Lord and asking Him to take it."

He had to totally surrender his addiction to the Lord and rely completely on Him. I found a picture of Peter sinking into the water, because he took his eyes off the Lord. I put it up on his wall. I said, "Every time you want a cigarette just look at the picture and say, 'Lord, save me." And remember that you are only that far away from being baptized." The length of a cigarette stands between you and God.

It wasn't just getting rid of the cigarettes. Donald prepared for his baptism by not only reading the Word, but also searching his heart. He tried to think of every person that he needed to call or write to. Anyone that he had had a problem with or felt that he had done something that he needed to ask him or her for forgiveness.

His niece Theresa had been the one who had called Pastor Art requesting someone to give Donald Bible Studies. She called me and we worked out the baptism. Between the two of us we contacted his family and friends to come to his baptism. He had a cousin who was a Seventh-day Adventist pastor. They had gone to a Seventh-day Adventist academy together. For over 70 years he had prayed for Donald to be baptized and now he was going to be the one to baptize him.

There was people all over California and Nevada that had prayed for him and wanted to come to his baptism, but we were a bit limited in space. You see, Donald is in a wheel chair and can't stand up. We had to solve the problem of immersing him in the water. Determined to not allow a small thing like that deter us, we finally decided to baptism him in the hot tub at the convalescent home. It resulted in a blessing for many of the members of the staff in the convalescent home, because they joined in and became part of the celebration. One of the men that helped has requested I give him Bible Studies.

If an 86 year old man can give his heart to the Lord and be baptized, there is hope for everyone. The Lord hears every prayer and wants every one of his children to be in the Kingdom with Him. Continue with your prayers, it took 70 years for Donald. It shouldn't take that long for you. Keep the faith.

Liz D.

I hope you receive a blessing from this. We also got to see the baptism. Since the space was limited someone taped it and she showed it to us this am. It was such a blessing to see the joy in this mans face and the joy in Donald's cousin's face as he baptized him. Praise God. Prayer does work. I was not always a Christian...I gave my life to Christ in 1980...I found out later that my wonderful Grandmother and a study group of people had been praying for me for years. I believe this actually saved me from being murdered. God is so good. Amen

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ June 01, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Re: A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40856
06/02/02 11:37 AM
06/02/02 11:37 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Avalee,

Thank you for posting that here.

It actually brought a tear of joy to my eyes.

Re: A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40857
06/03/02 04:59 AM
06/03/02 04:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow. 70 years of praying. What joy must have filled that man's heart, as he watched the baptism.

Thankyou for sharing this testimony Avalee.

Since you have posted this publically, I am presuming we can print it, and use it in our Sabbath School Class, here in Calgary?

I am sure that any Sabbath School Class would be very blessed and inspired to hear this.

Re: A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40858
06/04/02 03:07 AM
06/04/02 03:07 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Thank you David....when this story was being told Sabbath morning I knew I had to get all the details written down in order to tell all of you. I knew you would receive a blessing. I do not see any problems with it being used. I did not use any last names in the story so that should be ok. And who knows maybe the story will end up in one of our monthly publications someday. I think it should as it is a story with hope for all those who have been praying for years for friends and loved ones.

Re: A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40859
06/08/02 12:42 AM
06/08/02 12:42 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
When there is still life, there is still hope.
Our Lord has told us to "pray without ceasing", this is a good testimony to the effect of 'fervent prayer', and they prayed for a long time.

Re: A Careless Word - A Lost Soul? #40860
07/22/02 02:24 AM
07/22/02 02:24 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
How many times has a tender spirit been destroyed by a careless or thoughtless word or look?
Sorry I have been away for so long.
Sometimes the day by day activities tie me up so much, I meet myself coming as I'm going. [Big Grin]
In less than 2 months Hope For the Homeland will begin, pray that tender spirits will not be damaged, and that they will grow strong in Bible study [Reading] and fellowship. [Smile]

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!