HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Christ's Character #41419
03/29/02 08:34 PM
03/29/02 08:34 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Avalee,

To contemplate the character of Christ is a very worthwhile endeavor, for "by beholding we are changed." The oft quoted sentence from page 69 of Christ's Object Lessons that prompted this topic is best understood by reading the entire chapter 3 which leads up to that sentence. The character of Christ is described as love in action and selfless unity with the purposes of the Father, a God of love.

I think that Ellen White stated the very same idea a bit more clearly on page 641 of Desire of Ages where she said, "Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, "Love one another, as I have loved you" (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts."

That is the key to heaven - Christ's love! And it was this character trait that Jesus highlighted in Matthew 25 in his parable of the sheep and the goats. What distingushed those who were fit for heaven in that illustration of the final judgment was their love for one another. Jesus said this same thing many different ways as it was the theme of his life. He said, "people will know you are my disciples because you love one another." And it was this unity of love for one another for which he earnestly prayed in the upper room as recorded in John 17.

Tom

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41420
03/30/02 05:50 AM
03/30/02 05:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen Tom.

Well spoken.

And it is interesting to note that inspiration uses the term "unfeigned loveof the brethren."

Quote by Ed in his last post above:

Perhaps there are keys to Christ’s mind-set.

1.Obtained - Agape - The whole sum of all His motives.

When we talk about the character of Christ being perfectly reproduced in his followers; it is impossible that we could "obtain" agape' love.

We become it. We do not obtain it.

5T.482.001
God says to you who have had great light: "Come up higher." Draw nearer to God and heaven. Go forward. You need faith, ,an unfeigned love for your brethren, and a deeper interest in them. God has entrusted you with sacred responsibilities. There is a mission field for every member of the church, where he may exert an influence for good.

Christ will be able to come as soon as the unfeigned love starts.

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: DavidTBattler ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41421
04/07/02 06:28 PM
04/07/02 06:28 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Upward Look
No Peace at Any Price
Page 220

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matt. 10:34

The peace that Christ calls His peace, and which He bequeathed to His disciples, is not a peace which prevents all divisions; but it is a peace which is given and enjoyed in the midst of divisions. The peace that the faithful defender of the cause of Christ has is the consciousness that he is doing the will of God and reflecting His glory in good works. It is an internal rather than an external peace. Without are wars and fightings through the opposition of avowed enemies, and the coldness and suspicion of those even who claim to be friends.

Christ enjoins upon His followers to "love your enemies, . . . do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you" (Matt. 5:44). He would have us love those who oppress us and do us harm. We must not express in words and acts the spirit they manifest, but improve every opportunity to do them good.

But while we are required to be Christlike toward those who are our enemies, we must not, in order to have peace, cover up the faults of those we see in error. Jesus, the world's Redeemer, never purchased peace by covering iniquity, or by anything like compromise. Though His heart was constantly overflowing with love for the whole human race, He was never indulgent to their sins. He was too much their friend to remain silent while they were pursuing a course which would ruin their souls--the souls He had purchased with His own blood. He was a stern reprover of all vice, and His peace was the consciousness of having done the will of His Father, rather than a condition of things that existed as the result of having done His duty.

He labored that man should be true to himself in being all that God would have him, and true to his higher and eternal interest. Living in a world marred and seared with the curse brought upon it by disobedience, he [man] could not be at peace with it unless he left it unwarned, uninstructed, and unrebuked. This would be to purchase peace at the neglect of duty.

Everyone who loves Jesus and the souls for whom He died will follow after the things that make for peace. But His followers are to take special care lest in their efforts to prevent discord, the truth is surrendered, lest in warding off divisions, they make a sacrifice of its principles. True brotherhood can never be maintained by compromising principle. As surely as Christians approach the Christlike model, . . . so surely will they experience the strength and venom of that old serpent the devil.-- Manuscript 23b, July 25, 1896, "How to Secure Peace."

This is an amazing quote about peace.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41422
04/07/02 06:37 PM
04/07/02 06:37 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Gal. 5:22, 23. This fruit can never perish, but will produce after its kind a harvest unto eternal life. {COL 68.1}

Just what does it mean to have LONGSUFFERNG as an attribute of Christ's Character?

One entry found for long-suffering.

Main Entry: long-suf·fer·ing
Pronunciation: -"s&-f(&-)ri[ng], -'s&-
Function: noun
Date: 1526
: long and patient endurance of offense
- long-suffering adjective

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41423
04/07/02 06:46 PM
04/07/02 06:46 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
LONGSUFFERING

Numbers 14:18
The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Psalms 86:15
But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Did you notice how we are to be longsuffering? With joyfulness. How wonderful.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:14
Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

2 Peter 3:15
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41424
04/07/02 06:57 PM
04/07/02 06:57 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
InHeavenly Places
"Longsuffering with Joyfulness"
Page 246

Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness. Col. 1:11

"Strengthened with all might." This is not might to speak hasty words, which hurt and bruise others and which injure us more than anyone else, making us ashamed when we think afterward of what we have said.

"Longsuffering with joyfulness." Wherever you are, you may be tantalized, and reproach may come upon you. If I were to undertake to hunt up a thousandth part of what has been said against me, I should have no time to do anything else. I have said, "God knows all about this, and I will let Him take care of it." I am not at all troubled by what other people say concerning me. . . . If I lose my self-control, and flash out in anger, I would in so doing give people some reason to say that the representation of my accusers is correct. . . .

Never should we lose control over ourselves. Let us ever keep before us the perfect Pattern. It is a sin to speak impatiently and fretfully or to feel angry--even though we do not speak. We are to walk worthy, giving a right representation of Christ. The speaking of an angry word is like flint striking flint: it at once kindles wrathful feelings. Never be like a chestnut bur. . . .

When others are impatient, fretful, and complaining, because self is not subdued, begin to sing some of the songs of Zion. While Christ was working at the carpenter's bench others would sometimes surround Him, trying to cause Him to be impatient; but He would begin singing some of the beautiful psalms, and before they realized what they were doing they had joined with Him in singing, influenced, as it were, by the power of the Holy Spirit, which was there.

God desires us to be patient in tribulation and affliction, content to rest in His great arms of infinite love, believing that He is working for us all the time. It is our privilege to be joyful in the Lord. Let us praise Him more. By our joyfulness we reveal that our life is hid with Christ in God, that in Him we find the most blessed companionship, and that through His grace we have a living connection with heaven.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41425
04/13/02 03:56 AM
04/13/02 03:56 AM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Gal. 5:22, 23. This fruit can never perish, but will produce after its kind a harvest unto eternal life. {COL 68.1}

The next Fruit of the Spirit is gentleness. Do we have gentleness as a part of our character?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41426
04/12/02 04:02 PM
04/12/02 04:02 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I could only find four times in the Bible where the word gentleness is used, and I have already used one.

2 Samuel 22:36
Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great.

Psalms 18:35
Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

2 Corinthians 10:1
Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41427
04/12/02 04:17 PM
04/12/02 04:17 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
In Heavenly Places
Graces to Cherish
Page 244

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Gal. 5:22, 23

Here is held out the very thing for which we are to labor: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love." If we have the love of Christ in our souls it will be a natural consequence for us to have all the other graces--joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance; and "against such there is no law." The law of God does not condemn and hold in bondage those who have these graces, because they are obeying the requirements of the law of God. They are law keepers, and . . . are not under the bondage of the law. . . .

We are to have love, and connected with this are joy, peace, long-suffering, patience. We see the restlessness of the world, their dissatisfied condition. They want something they have not. They want something to keep up an excitement or something for amusement. But for the Christian there is joy, there is peace, there is long-suffering, gentleness, meekness, forbearance, and patience; and to these things we want to open the door of our heart, cherishing the heavenly graces of the Spirit of God. . . . One cannot do it for another. You may set to work and obtain the graces of the Spirit, but that will not answer for me. . . . Each one individually must do the work, and determine through personal efforts to have the grace of God in the heart. I cannot form a character for you nor can you for me. It is a burden that rests upon every one individually, young or old.

Christ says: "I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir" (Isa. 13:12). How? By the cultivation of the graces of the Spirit--love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, faith. We want the living faith that will grasp the strong arm of Jehovah. . . . We all need the graces of the Spirit of God in the heart. {HP 244.4}

When the love of Christ is enshrined in the heart, like sweet fragrance it cannot be hidden. The holy influence it reflects through the character will be manifest to all. Christ will be formed within, "the hope of glory."

Reply Quote
Re: Christ's Character #41428
04/20/02 09:25 PM
04/20/02 09:25 PM
Avalee  Offline OP
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA

Our next fruit of the spirit is goodness.

Psalms 33:5
He loveth righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.

Psalms 107:8
Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

Psalms 107:9
For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

Ephesians 5:9
For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!