HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41449
02/20/02 05:07 PM
02/20/02 05:07 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Interesting ideas here. We are encouraged in the Bible to uplift and support each other, but there will also come a time when we will be unable to rely on any individual person here on earth. We must be tied in to God! There will be a time when our spouses, our children, our friends will be unreliable, in fact they will be the ones to betray us, as Judas betrayed Jesus.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41450
02/20/02 07:01 PM
02/20/02 07:01 PM
P
Piper  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Chehalis, WA, USA
I think lonely times are times when you can draw closer to God. I know that human fellowship is important too, though. Otherwise, why would we be told 'where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them" ?

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41451
02/21/02 01:19 AM
02/21/02 01:19 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Hello Claudia, Sarah, and Piper

These are all such excellent contributions to this subject...all things I had in mind but didn't know where to begin.

Thankyou so much for your replies.

With every usual form of earthly support cut off; it is for most, a much different ball game.

All too often, we reject this garden experience as one with too many weeds. Or, we get there, into the garden alone, and we try to start pulling the weeds out ourselves! (and often, one by one). The trouble starts though, when the very next day, after pulling out one weed, a couple more spring up to take it's place.

Ever get "tired of it all," and want to pack in the Bibles in favor of an easier route?

I have found, personally, that God's whole purpose in getting us to the place where we are in the garden alone, is so that we may learn COMPLETE DEPENDENCE UPON CHRIST.

There is no other way to learn this lesson, but by having everything fall out from under your feet...your money, your job, your health, you name it. But when we are in a narrow confine, how many of us turn our backs on Christ and deny Him by our thoughts or actions?

How many of us would actually choose to go to the Garden alone, if we had a choice? What might it mean if we were to choose, or not choose this experience? Do we even have a choice, or does God just pick our name out of His cosmic hat, and say: "OK David...time for a little fire under your feet." If this were the case, I wonder how many would come to watch me "burn?" Would others know about my trials in the garden, under this kind of circumstance?

I would be interested to hear ideas on this question.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41452
02/23/02 04:47 AM
02/23/02 04:47 AM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline
England
Hi David,

You asked:

"How many of us would actually choose to go to the Garden alone, if we had a choice? What might it mean if we were to choose, or not choose this experience? Do we even have a choice, or does God just pick our name out of His cosmic hat, and say: "OK David...time for a little fire under your feet." If this were the case, I wonder how many would come to watch me "burn?" Would others know about my trials in the garden, under this kind of circumstance?"

I dont think we have a choice of whether to go to the garden alone... sometimes. Of course you can always be alone if you want to ..but I think God watches our progress and sees if we need refining in some area of our characters... and its at those times that he might let us have to be alone.

I wouldnt have chosen to be alone in the past but lots of times now I would. Its just that it seems God has taught me so much more during those times. Remember that place in Minsitry of healing (I think) where it says that God will put us in a cage like a bird where its dark... the cage is covered,,, so we can "learn the song?" (I dont recall the exact quote but I hope you know what I mean). I think you cant really "hear God" and what He is trying to get across to you unless you are alone.

Sometimes people around you will make you think "well I seem to be just as good as they are, so Im doing ok". Sometimes their complacency makes it rub off on you. Sometimes their well-meaning "comfort" might injure you if what you really need is to be told whats wrong with you that needs correcting.

You know what? There are also a whole lot of things that I found out God gave me the ability to do... with His strength of course, ..that I would of never thought I could of done, unless I had to "walk through the valley of darkness" a few times.

I dont know about you but I grew up in a home that was basically loveless. So all the time I was growing up I longed for kindness and love.. etc... someone to lean on basically. This lasted a long time, way into my twenties... because I never had any. So I went around kind of always "looking" for someone to lean on... spiritually, especially. Because I felt like I couldnt do anything myself. (I was also made to feel like I was "stupid" and couldnt do anything when I was little).

Then when I got older God had to allow me to go through lots of bad stuff, and being alone made me have to draw upon gifts that God had given me but I didnt know I had... abilities to do things I never knew I could do... and things like that. If I always had someone to lean on, I'd never of learned those things.

I think that maybe God might deal with different people in different ways when it comes to this subject. Like maybe some people need more of the "alone" thing than others do..

Now Im sitting here wondering if Im even talking about the same stuff that you are or if Im on a whole different topic

As far as the last part of your question goes:

"If this were the case, I wonder how many would come to watch me "burn?" Would others know about my trials in the garden, under this kind of circumstance?"

I really dont understand what you are asking. Could you try to explain more?

Claudia

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41453
02/22/02 05:36 PM
02/22/02 05:36 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I believe we have a choice as to whether or not we are in the Garden alone. I believe we are never alone. Was Jesus truly in the Garden alone (not counting the sleeping disciples)? No. We must also remember that God promises to never tempt us beyond that which we can stand - Jesus had all He could stand and because His human friends were not there to comfort Him, God sent Him an Angel, one just waiting on tip toes, with bated breath to reach down and comfort the Saviour! Was there ever truly one moment of Jesus' life that He was completely alone? NO *(not until the moment before His death) !! Were there moments that He FELT completely alone? YES. Never for a moment are we to believe that we are abandoned by God. Never for a moment are we to rely on our feelings and decide that God has left us. Jesus suffered separation from His Father, and it killed Him. Just as it will us if God were to truly abandon us.

Does everyone need to pass through a Garden experience? Does every single person need to learn the hard way? Is it possible that some could learn from others mistakes and avoid the Gardens?

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41454
02/24/02 11:07 PM
02/24/02 11:07 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Sarah

I really appreciated your closing question; not only do they ask questions; but they make important statements of facts.

Claudia;

Here is the paragraph you were referring to. I will comment afterwards:

Quote:

"How many of us would actually choose to go to the Garden alone, if we had a choice? What might it mean if we were to choose, or not choose this experience? Do we even have a choice, or does God just pick our name out of His cosmic hat, and say: "OK David...time for a little fire under your feet." If this were the case, I wonder how many would come to watch me "burn?" Would others know about my trials in the garden, under this kind of circumstance?"
- end of quote

When I said "I wonder how many would come to watch me burn;" it was a cryptic stab at the fact that, like the disciples who fell asleep on Jesus, during His garden experience; too often, our usual sources of human comfort either are not there, or they take a very passive role, if they are present, and they somehow let us down during the really tough ones.

Jesus found out what it was like to be neglected by fellow "church members;" yet, as Sarah has so aptly pointed out here, Jesus was not alone, when He went to the Garden alone.

To me; it is very helpful to not palliate the pain that is experienced in our Garden experiences. I have found it best to look at the aspect of divinely appointed experiences, when we are in the Garden alone.

In other words; these experiences make more sense to me from a great controversy point of view.

Do we, as individuals really need to look at all of our Garden experiences as "God's workmen, whereby we are fitted for heaven?" Is it "OK" to just not know all that stuff, and say of an experience: "Ouch! That really hurt!" "And this is what happened between me and God during all that pain?"

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41455
02/25/02 08:13 PM
02/25/02 08:13 PM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
David, we may have many earthly ties broken, or even considerably stretched, by distance,by circumstances,& by the busy lives we live. We may feel that those we love most on earth at times forget us, when they do not keep in touch. And, we feel alone. But, no we are not alone, for He has promised "I will never leave you nor forsake you." And, "LO, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." That is not always easy to remember, for we crave a human hand to hold, and to hear a human voice of encouragement, for God created us with that need. But, often, when we think no one is thinking of us or praying for us, it is not true. I was away from the church for a few years, and one thing that really influenced my coming back and into an even deeper dedication and walk with our Lord, was when a dear sister in church, speaking of her husband, told me, "he calls your name in prayer each morning." We do not know how many are praying for each of us, and how many times our names are lifted up in prayer. So, we are not alone, where our fellow brothers and sisters are concerned, when we are praying for each other. I am praying for you, David, and Daryl, and all the moderators, and all who have a part on this board.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41456
02/26/02 12:14 AM
02/26/02 12:14 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Thankyou Dora

Your post was very meaningful..."He calls you in prayer each morning..." That will keep me thinking for a while.

I have many questions in this topic area.

Here is one of them.

The Bible says in Rom.8:7, (I hope it's verse 7), that "the carnal mind is not subject to the law of God; neither indeed can be."

What role, might "going to the Garden alone," play in this line of Scripture?

This is a very important question, of which I intend to share more of later.

My internet time is up for the day! Bye!

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41457
02/26/02 12:32 AM
02/26/02 12:32 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
David, this may not be what you are thinking at all, but, "the carnal mind," if it stayed in that state, seems to me, would not CHOOSE to be alone in the garden with Christ. Being alone with someone loved indicates close and imtimate fellowship. Someone in the "carnal mind state" wouldn't feel comfortable there, nor could Jesus promote fellowship with them, for how could the Holy Spirit communicate, unless or until the mind is changed to a "Spirit Filled Mind?"

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41458
02/26/02 04:34 AM
02/26/02 04:34 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
To go to the garden in harmony with God's request requires the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ comes by the gift of His abiding presence and is analgous to the Shekinak in the sanctuary of our hearts. If you want to go the garden and Jesus is calling you, and then you go, you must therefore be in harmony with Him. If you are in harmony with Him then you can not be alone. Jesus, and His people are with you always, even though seperated by distance, yet still with you.

Reply Quote
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!