HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41459
02/26/02 09:28 AM
02/26/02 09:28 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

So, you guys don't think there may be times when God sort of arranges things a bit for us, and kind of plops us in the garden for our own good at times?

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41460
02/26/02 03:22 PM
02/26/02 03:22 PM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
I think I see where you are coming from, David. Yes, I think it is entirely possible that when we have "given" ourselves to God, then He can do with us and for us the things that only He knows best to further our growth in Him. Also, as we have read much in "ministry of Healing," of God's care for us, and His desire to "fashion" us, as the potter does the vessel of clay MH471,72.

I believe He may take us into the Garden Experience to teach us this: "In the future life the mysteries that here have annoyed and disappointed us will be made plain. We shall see that our seemingly unanswered prayers and disappointed hopes have been among our greatest blessings." p474 And...p.479 says, "Christ in His life on earth made no plans for Himself. He accepted God's plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. so should we depend upon God, that our lives may be the simple outworking of His will. As we commit our ways to Him, He will direct our steps." Perhaps He takes us "in the Garden," so we can be willing and even eager to MAKE that commitment.

And, lastly, I love this quote: (you can see how much MH has meant to me.) "In the darkest days, when appearances seem most forbidding, have faith in God. He is working out His will, doing all things well in behalf of His people. the strength of those who love and serve Him will be renewed day by day." p.482 Yes, I believe He wants to share that "garden experience" in different ways with all of us, and He wants us ALONE with Him each morning, as we "lay all our plans at His feet." May this be our prayer.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41461
02/26/02 03:32 PM
02/26/02 03:32 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
We are to be purified as Gold and Silver are purified - through fire.

Job is an example of one whom God allowed to go "through a Garden" by God just saying, basically "here you are".

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41462
02/27/02 04:17 AM
02/27/02 04:17 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Good point Sarah, and Dora

Since we are to be "tried as gold," we need to ask another question.

According to Rev.3:18, we are to "buy gold tried in the fire."

How might this connect to the current questions and points being made in this topic? In what way does "buying gold tried in the fire" relate to our garden alone experiences?

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41463
02/27/02 05:46 AM
02/27/02 05:46 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
David, I have been thinking about the verses around your post all day. YOu may have to help me sort out the verses I have here, and the ideas around them. First, addressing "gold tried in the fire." In MH p471, we are told, "He gives them opportunity to correct these defects and to fit themselves for HIs service. Often He permits the fires of affliction to assail them that they might be purified." "It is valuable ore that He refines." MH 471

Then, you asked about Rev. 3:18. "I counsel thee to buy OF ME gold tried (refined) in the fire, that thou mayest be rich;..." And, I have wondered HOW can WE buy anything of God?
And, I go to Isaiah 55:1 and learn that we CAN buy! "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea come, buy wine and milk without money and without price."

Is the "gold" which comes by the refining process of Christ, the spiritual value? The reason we can buy, is that this spiritual value comes through salvation in Jesus Christ, which IS a FREE gift.
And the covering, the robe of Christ's righteousness, not of man's own devising or works is all that will ever make us acceptable to God.
COLp.311

Maybe I am not anywhere near your thinking, David, but, I hope you will share your thinking on this with all of us. Anyway, thank you for the question, for it caused me to do some thinking abd searching.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41464
03/06/02 08:07 PM
03/06/02 08:07 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
i have not read the entire thread so will just post what this means to me.

I think of Jesus telling His disciples to watch and pray that they not enter into temptation. then i read in Desire of ages where we are told 'that had peter watched and prayed, he would have not denied Christ'. First I see Jesus concerned for His friends, in the hour that he needed them most. Then i see the results of not following Jesus instructions. This is a great lesson for us.

Watch and pray.....Follow Jesus, who is more concerned for us than we are for ouselves and is will ing to go to the cross for those that cared not.

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41465
03/09/02 01:58 AM
03/09/02 01:58 AM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

Thankyou Charlene

Is it then possible, that we could look at where we have denied Christ, in our own, personal life, and see just where we have neglected to "watch & pray?"

What would happen, if we were to start using this as one way to improve our prayer life, and our spiritual life in general?

Reply Quote
Re: I Come To The Garden Alone #41466
03/09/02 05:13 PM
03/09/02 05:13 PM
A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered

In The Garden Of Woe

Mat. 26:31- 46, Mark 14: 27-42, Luke 22:39-46, Jo.18:1

Evidently, from the scripture passages I have included above, all four of the apostles had attached enough importance to the Garden Of Gesthemane experience of Jesus, that they all wrote an account of it. It is interesting to also note, that only the accounts of Mathew and Mark contain the word “Gethsemane.” I wonder why this would be?

Let us ask now: what is it about our Savior going into this garden, alone in His spiritual struggles with the powers of darkness that we should draw upon today?

Also, I see another point, at the end of the scene in the garden, which is well worth considering.

“Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus.” Jo.18:10

Notice here, the wicked mob, coming after Jesus. Peter gets all in a huff, and slices off the ear of a poor guy named Malchus.

Now, take note of WHO Malchus was. Malchus was a servant of the high priest.

What is the really major significant lesson in Jo.18:10, and what the Bible describes Peter as doing to Malchus?

One thing is for sure. Peter, in his self-righteousness, was trying to handle this problem with the mob, all on his own. He was likely thinking the same thing about Christ that Judas was: How Jesus would come to the rescue & set up His kingdom, if the mob threatened to overwhelm them by Peter'’ attack here.

Peter attacking this SERVANT, is a good example of how very mistaken, and ineffective we can be, when we try to do something in our own strength. The person who would be least likely, or able, to reverse the purposes of the mob that night, would be one of the servants. The High priest would have the most authority to tell the mob what to do, and, Peter should have gone after the one with most authority, in order to win this one.

When we, in our clouds of self sufficiency try to do something for God, we often do something similar. We work at the wrong goals, and are often at cross purposes with Gods designs in a given matter. Like Peter, we will not be able to see the true goals that Jesus has for us in the great controversy. And, when we work for Him, (or think we are), we will often be mostly inneffective. (could a $100,000.00 evangelisitc campaign also qualify as a move like Peter would have made?). Peter denied his Lord, when he cut off the servant’s ear.

RH.1902-12-16.007
“Many to-day stand where Peter stood when in self-confidence he declared that he would not deny his Lord. And because of their self-sufficiency, they fall an easy prey to Satan's devices. Those who realize their weakness trust in a power higher than self. And while they look to God, Satan has no power over them. But those who trust in self are easily defeated. Let us remember that if we do not heed the cautions that God gives us, a fall is before us. Christ does not save from wounds the one who places himself unbidden on the enemy's ground. He does not impart power to those who reject his guidance. The self-sufficient one, who acts as if he knew more than his Lord, is allowed to go on in his supposed strength. Then come suffering and a crippled life, or perhaps defeat and death.
RH.1902-12-16.008
In the warfare, the enemy takes advantage of the weakest points in the defense of those whom he is attacking. At these points he makes his fiercest assaults. The Christian should have no weak points in his defense. He should be barricaded by the assurance that the Scriptures give to those who are doing God's will. The tempted soul will bear away the victory if he follows the example of him who met the tempter with the words, "It is written." He can stand securely in the protection of a "Thus saith the Lord."
RH.1902-12-16.009
There are some lessons that are never learned only through failure. Peter was a better man after his fall. The Lord permits his children to fall; and then, if they repent of their wrongdoing, he helps them to stand on vantage ground. As fire purifies gold, so Christ purifies his people by temptation and trial. If the heart has not been hardened by a disregard of great light, the temptation and fall will bring repentance. Humble, fervent prayer will save the soul from death, and confession and restitution will hide a multitude of sins.”

By this story from Gethsemane; I can see where God is telling me certain areas of self sufficiency in my life, have worked against His ideals for the situation; and also, how any point of self-sufficiency constitutes one of those weak areas, that Satan so loves to use.

But, thanks be to God who giveth us the victory:

“Tis midnight; and on Olive’s brow
The star is dimmed that lately shone
Tis midnight in the garden now
The suffering Savior prays alone.

Tis midnight, and from all removed
The Savior wrestles lone with fears
Yet even that disciple Jesus loved
Heeds not his master’s grief and tears.

Tis midnight; and from ether plains
Is born the songs that angels know
Unheard by mortals are the strains
That sweetly soothe the Savior’s woe.”

- selected

This poem also reinforces the idea of how ineffective we are in the conflict with evil when we depend upon ourselves. The line “Yet even that disciple Jesus loved; heeds not His master’s grief and tears,” shows how we miss what is really happening with other people, when we are out of sinc with God’s plans, and preoccupied with our self-sufficient ways. How then can we meet people at the point of their felt need, if we are so bent on self that we miss what they are expressing as areas of want?

It can be seen by the records of scripture, that just as soon as Jesus had obtained the victory in the Garden; how an angel had appeared to Jesus here, and ministered to him. Peter went for the wrong man, the man who was least in power to be able to do anything re Jesus's current propects.

How did the angel “minister” to Jesus there in the Garden Of Gesthemane? What did the angel say or do with Jesus, and what was the result of the angel’s visit to Christ here in Gesthemane?

Perhaps this is a point where we can see how Jesus reaches us when we are all prayed out, and can pray no more, and are totally exhausted from the conflict? Then, He sends an angel? How would an angel similarly help us today? What has been your experience here? Can you describe your understanding on this point from the Bible or the SOP writings?

ST.1893-08-21.005
“Ushered into the Christian life we no longer complain of darkness; for we have the light of life and joy which Christ said would be in all who abide in him. "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name; ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."

In place of having less love as we advance in the Christian life, we are to have love that will increase more and more until our love is perfected; and where there is perfect love, there is full joy. We can be happy when we see God in everything. When we can see him in affliction, we have comfort and solace in our sorrow.

When the sunshine of prosperity smiles, we recognize that the blessing flows from the fountain of life, and when trial and affliction are ours, we realize that the hand of the Lord is in all our perplexities, and thus we come to understand that sunshine and shadow are needful to perfect the character of the believer, and give him the true joy of perfect trust in God; for through faith he looks beyond the things that are seen to the things that are unseen.

He says, "Now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."

When we emerge victorious from our personal Gethsemane; we will join the glad refrain of the angel of old in proclaiming of our own, personal experience:

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!