HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #88282
04/25/07 11:58 PM
04/25/07 11:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, the following quote depicts Jesus explaining His life and death and resurrection to the holy angels. Please note that He explained it to the angels before Genesis 3:15 was declared to our first parents.

Again, nowhere in the Bible or the SOP does Jesus express doubt or uncertainty regarding the details and outcome of His earthly mission. He always confidently stated that He would succeed. Such confidence, however, does not take away from the “risk” He took while sojourning here on earth.

Quote:
At first the angels could not rejoice; for their Commander concealed nothing from them, but opened before them the plan of salvation. Jesus told them that He would stand between the wrath of His Father and guilty man, that He would bear iniquity and scorn, and but few would receive Him as the Son of God. Nearly all would hate and reject Him.

He would leave all His glory in heaven, appear upon earth as a man, humble Himself as a man, become acquainted by His own experience with the various temptations with which man would be beset, that He might know how to succor those who should be tempted; and that finally, after His mission as a teacher would be accomplished, He would be delivered into the hands of men, and endure almost every cruelty and suffering that Satan and his angels could inspire wicked men to inflict; that He would die the cruelest of deaths, hung up between the heavens and the earth as a guilty sinner; that He would suffer dreadful hours of agony, which even angels could not look upon, but would veil their faces from the sight.

Not merely agony of body would He suffer, but mental agony, that with which bodily suffering could in no wise be compared. The weight of the sins of the whole world would be upon Him. He told them He would die and rise again the third day, and would ascend to His Father to intercede for wayward, guilty man. {EW 149.3}

TE: I'm not sure what you're wanting to say here. Was it possible for Christ to fail? If it was, then Christ took a risk. If it wasn't, then He didn't.

If God knew with certainty that Christ wouldn't fail, then God knew there wasn't any risk, because risk is, by definition, the possibility of failure. So if God knew there wasn't any possibility that Christ could fail, then, which is just repeating the same thing in other words, God knew there wasn't any risk. If God knew there wasn't any risk, then there wasn't.

Similarly, to assert that there was risk, is to assume that God knew there was risk, because God knows everything. So if God knew there was risk, God knew there was a possibility Christ could fail, which means that God could not have been 100% certain that Christ would succeed.

MM: Be that as it may, you still haven't explained why Jesus described in precise detail exactly what would happen during His earthly sojourn and that He would succeed at saving us.

If, as you insist, God did not, could not, know with certainty that Jesus would succeed, why, then, did He say so over and over again throughout the OT and the NT? Why is it that He never once expressed doubt or uncertainty about it?

Could it be that the risk concept Sister White introduced 1,900 years after Jesus succeeded on the cross does not imply God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross? Could it be that you have drawn the wrong conclusions?

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #88283
04/26/07 12:35 AM
04/26/07 12:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Be that as it may, you still haven't explained why Jesus described in precise detail exactly what would happen during His earthly sojourn and that He would succeed at saving us.

This is not at all mysterious. God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.

If, as you insist, God did not, could not, know with certainty that Jesus would succeed, why, then, did He say so over and over again throughout the OT and the NT?

Why wouldn't He?

Why is it that He never once expressed doubt or uncertainty about it?

Why would He?

You seem to be asking me why God inspired the Bible writes to write certain things and not others. I cannot speak for God on this question. I can only speak of what God did reveal.

God did reveal to a modern day prophet that He sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. As to why He didn't do so earlier, with one of the Scripture writers, how could I possibly know that?

Could it be that the risk concept Sister White introduced 1,900 years after Jesus succeeded on the cross does not imply God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross?

I don't see how. It's like 2 + 2 = 4.

A.If God knows a certain thing will happen with 100% certainty, then that thing will happen.

B.God knew Christ would succeed with 100% certain.

C.It is certain Christ would succeed.

D.Therefore, there is no risk that Christ would fail.

This seems to follow, like 2 + 2 = 4. Do you see any error here?

Could it be that you have drawn the wrong conclusions?

Could it be that you have drawn wrong conclusions?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88284
04/26/07 12:41 AM
04/26/07 12:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I didn’t realize I misunderstood your position. I just assumed “death is the result of sin” means sin is what causes them to suffer and die. So, which is it? Is it sin that punishes and destroys sinners according to their sinfulness in the lake of fire? Or, is it the unveiled glory of God that causes them to suffer and die?

We've spoken about this in great detail in the past. You don't remember? Sin is what causes the wicked not to be able to bear the glory of God.

Elsewhere you have stated that only the death of Jesus on the cross was able to eliminate the last link of sympathy that existed in the hearts of loyal angels toward Satan.

No, I didn't state that. See the comment on necessity and sufficiency below.

Now you seem to be implying God could have accomplished it some other way.

I said, given that man did not fall, I believe it's possible that God could have answered the questions involving unfallen worlds and the angels in some other way than by Christ's death.

But you emphatically reject the idea that Adam and Eve could have accomplished it by refusing to eat the forbidden fruit.

No, I didn't emphatically reject this idea. I didn't reject it at all. I asked you to explain what your position was. I wasn't understanding the reasoning behind your statements that Adam and Eve could have accomplished what the death of Christ did, especially in the context of DA 764, which is from "It Is Finished," which is where you looked to have been quoting from.

MM: Sure it does. Do you disagree with what I posted above? The loyal angels did not question the love and goodness of God.

I think they didn't question this until Satan began to raise questions about it.

What they were unsure about was whether or not obeying the law caused unrest, if it deprived people from realizing their full potential.

This was one of the issues Satan raised. The principle issue, I think, is whether God acted from a basis of self-interest or not. The answer to that question pretty much answers every other question. Sister White states that the cross forever answered this question (i.e., it answered the question of whether God acted in self-interest, the answer being "no," of course).

By faith they believed, but God promised to prove it, first through Adam and Eve, but then through Jesus and finally through the 144,000. Do you agree?

Not really. At least not quite how your stating it. However, I'm open to any quotes you may have on this. In particular, I'd be interested in quotes that have to do with how Adam and Eve would demonstrate the truth about God, disproving the issues that Satan had raised. Simiarly for the 144,000. I don't believe the angels have any doubts regarding God anymore, since Calvary. In the above referenced quote, Sister White said something like the question if God acted in self-interest was forever answered by the cross. The angels and unfallen worlds have already been eternally secured by what Jesus Christ did. They are not dependent upon the 144,000 in any way. I'm just saying this of myself; it's not clear to me that you are asserting anything contrary to what I'm saying here.

Again, we disagree as to what causes sinners to suffer and die in proportion to their sinfulness in the lake of fire. Your view seems to imply that sin, not God, causes sinners to suffer and die. But then you hasten to add it is the unveiled glory of God that causes it. Which is it?

The glory of God is His character. I think when the wicked come into contact with God, that His goodness causes them pain, along the lines of what is described in GC 543. I'll quote a bit of it:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them.

The pain they feel is proportional to the sin they've committed not for any arbitrary reason (i.e. arbitrary = imposed, or not related to cause and effect) but because the more sin there is, the more pain when light and truth (the glory of God) come into contact with it.

You also seem to be saying that only the death of Jesus could have effectively prevented the evil seed of rebellion from arising in the hearts of the loyal angels.

No, I didn't say that. I never said "only." I've noticed you are not careful in distinguishing between necessity and sufficiency. This has come up in a number of threads. I'll explain.

Let's say that kemotherapy can cure a certain cancer, and does so. A person is cured. The fact that the person was cured by kemotherapy does not prove that the person could not have been cured in some other way.

From DA 764, and other places, we know that the death of Jesus did prevent the evil seed of doubt ("doubt" is the word used in DA 764, as I recall, not "rebellion," although this doesn't matter) from arising. However, the fact that the death of Jesus accomplished this does not imply anything one way or the other regarding whether or not God could have accomplished this in some other way.

We have explicit statements that there was no other way to save man than by the death of Jesus, but no such statements regarding unfallen worlds or angels. We have statements of sufficiency, but not of necessity.

But you also insist God could have accomplished it lots of other ways, that even if Jesus had not volunteered to save us or even if Jesus had failed in His attempt to save us, that God could have accomplished it some other way. Which is it?

You should read more carefully. I'm very careful in what I write. I never said, let alone "insisted", that God could have accomplished it in some other way, let alone lots of other ways. I said God MIGHT have been able to accomplish it in some other way. We don't know. God hasn't told us.

“God had sworn by Himself that Jesus would succeed.” And yet you insist God was not 100% certain if Jesus would fail or succeed. How could He swear by Himself that Jesus would succeed?

Because He had faith in His Son. His swearing was based on faith and character, not His ability to see the future. This sounds like something John B. would say. Haven't heard from him in quite a while.

TE: Sin is what causes the wicked not to be able to bear the glory of God.

MM: This implies that sin would not cause a sinner to suffer and die if they were able to avoid the unveiled glory of God. This poses a possible problem. Why didn't Satan die in the presence of Jesus when He granted him an audience after he was cast out of heaven?

Quote:
Satan trembled as he viewed his work. He was alone in meditation upon the past, the present, and his future plans. His mighty frame shook as with a tempest. An angel from heaven was passing. He called him and entreated an interview with Christ. This was granted him. He then related to the Son of God that he repented of his rebellion and wished again the favor of God. He was willing to take the place God had previously assigned him, and be under His wise command. Christ wept at Satan's woe but told him, as the mind of God, that he could never be received into heaven. Heaven must not be placed in jeopardy. All heaven would be marred should he be received back, for sin and rebellion originated with him. The seeds of rebellion were still within him. He had, in his rebellion, no occasion for his course, and he had hopelessly ruined not only himself but the host of angels also, who would then have been happy in heaven had he remained steadfast. The law of God could condemn but could not pardon. {SR 26.1}

TE: I'd be interested in quotes that have to do with how Adam and Eve would demonstrate the truth about God, disproving the issues that Satan had raised.

MM: At this point, I'm basing it on the fact Adam and Eve would have been in perpetual favor with God and the loyal angels if they had successfully resisted Satan's initial attack. This insight implies that loyal angels would also have been in perpetual favor with God, thus indicating that they would have been impervious to the seeds of doubt or rebellion. Do you see what I mean?

Quote:
When Adam and Eve were placed in the beautiful garden they had everything for their happiness which they could desire. But God chose, in His all-wise arrangements, to test their loyalty before they could be rendered eternally secure. They were to have His favor, and He was to converse with them and they with Him. Yet He did not place evil out of their reach. Satan was permitted to tempt them. If they endured the trial they were to be in perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels. {SR 24.2}

TE: I don't believe the angels have any doubts regarding God anymore, since Calvary. In the above referenced quote, Sister White said something like the question if God acted in self-interest was forever answered by the cross. The angels and unfallen worlds have already been eternally secured by what Jesus Christ did. They are not dependent upon the 144,000 in any way.

MM: What do you think the following quote means in light of these ideas?

Quote:
Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}

Another deception was now to be brought forward. Satan declared that mercy destroyed justice, that the death of Christ abrogated the Father's law. Had it been possible for the law to be changed or abrogated, then Christ need not have died. But to abrogate the law would be to immortalize transgression, and place the world under Satan's control. It was because the law was changeless, because man could be saved only through obedience to its precepts, that Jesus was lifted up on the cross. Yet the very means by which Christ established the law Satan represented as destroying it. Here will come the last conflict of the great controversy between Christ and Satan. {DA 762.5}

MM: “God had sworn by Himself that Jesus would succeed.” And yet you insist God was not 100% certain if Jesus would fail or succeed. How could He swear by Himself that Jesus would succeed?

TE: Because He had faith in His Son. His swearing was based on faith and character, not His ability to see the future. This sounds like something John B. would say. Haven't heard from him in quite a while.

MM: If Jesus had failed, how, then, would God have been able to maintain the loyalty of the holy angels? How could they trust Him if what He swore proved to be wrong?

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88285
04/26/07 01:16 AM
04/26/07 01:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
They have everything to do with it. Since Jesus is God and cannot die what does “eternal loss” mean, what does it entail? I believe if Jesus had failed at least two things would have happened, the results of which would have been eternal: 1) Jesus would have been banned from heaven, and 2) God would have been forced to eliminate FMAs. What do you think “eternal loss” would have looked like if Jesus had failed?

I already addressed this.

MM: You have not improved upon your position by insisting “risk” doesn’t imply or include death. It undermines the importance of His death.

TE: It cannot mean physical death for quite a number of reasons. If you don’t see this, I’m very surprised.

MM: How can the risk of dying have nothing to do with it?

TE: Because physical death does not result in eternal loss. Neither is it failure. She wrote that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. Why are you confusing this with physical death? Surely you know there's a resurrection.

MM:Sure it does. If Jesus had died because He failed to save us, then His death would have resulted in Him experiencing eternal loss.

Sorry, I'm not following you.

Again, you are divorcing the death of Jesus from the risk of eternal loss He incurred when He came here to save us. I don’t understand how can you do this.

Sorry, I'm not following you.

MM: Here is what you posted about risk:

“Risk has to do with the possibility of loss. If there is not possibility of loss, there is no risk. If the outcome of the given event is known to be positive, there is no risk involved. If the outcome of the given event is known to be negative, then there is a risk involved.”

Since Jesus’ death was positive, not negative, according to your view of risk, there was no risk. Right?

Risk of what? "Positive" in the above context has to do with loss, not with a thing being good or bad, which looks to me to be how you're taking it. If you are speaking of Christ's death in terms of a loss of life, then there was risk. In fact, the risk was 100% that Christ would lose His life.

MM: With this in mind you should be able to agree that since the death of Jesus’ humanity was inevitable there was no risk or possibility of loss. Do you? I am talking about His death as a loss, not about the resulting eternal loss. His death and His eternal loss are two different, albeit related, aspects of risk.

TE: Since your premise is wrong, there's nothing I should agree to.

Sure there is. The premise of my question is based on your view of what constitutes risk and what does not. Do you agree?

Risk is the possibility of loss. This is not "my view." If you have any acquaintences which are accountants, or actuaries, of deal with investements, finance, or risk management, ask them what risk is. Or look at a dictionary.

Since the death of Jesus' humanity was inevitable the risk of His loss of life was 100%.

Thank you. I am surprised, though, that you do not also believe it involves the death of Jesus and the destruction of the human race, including those in heaven already.

Of course it involves the death of Jesus. If He would not be resurrected, He would remain dead. I'm surprised you would reason from my statement that Jesus would not be resurrected that this does not involve His death. I made no comment regarding the human race. I wrote that had Jesus failed, the results would have been indescribably bad. God has told us very little regarding this. I've not felt a need to speculate about this.

Thank you. But how can an omnipresent God be confined to a tomb, to a planet, to a universe?

That's a good question. How could an omnipresent God become a zygote?

Elsewhere you pointed out that only the successful death of Jesus on the cross could have effectively eliminated the seed of rebellion, that only His death could have severed the last link of sympathy in the hearts of loyal angels toward Satan.

I never said "only" in reference to angels.

Based on these insights, isn’t it logical to conclude that Jesus’ failure would have resulted in the seed of rebellion arising in the hearts of FMAs, thus forcing God to deal with them the same as evil angels?

It's possible that the loyal angels might have rebelled. Then again, they might not have.

I read it all, but it doesn’t address the issue. Instead, it explains how Jesus’ success on the cross empowers believers to use their gifts to the honor and glory of God. My question is: What would God have done with mankind if Jesus had refused to save them? Would He have allowed them to live on in hopelessness until they self-eliminated, until they destroyed themselves from off the face of the earth? If so, what would that have accomplished?

It is there in the quote. You quoted a part of it. The human race would have ceased to exist apart from Christ's entering our race. That's right there in the quote. My reading of the quote is that had the plan of salvation not been instituted, man would have immediately perished. That seems very clear to me from the quote.

Sorry it offended you. I didn’t mean it that way. I’ll rephrase the point.

I appreciate and accept your apology.

If Jesus had not volunteered to save us, what would have become of the evil angels?

The same thing that will become of them given that Christ did come. They would have been given the opportunity to demonstrate the viability of their government, and they would have failed, because the principle of selfishness doesn't work.

What purpose would it serve to allow them to cohabitate the planet with fallen humans?

The fallen humans would have ceased to exist, so there would have been noone with whom to cohabitate.

How would it have disproven Satan’s accusations about the kingdom and character of God and His law?

It wouldn't have. God would have had to have done something else.

What would they have done that would have eventually helped the loyal angels to understand God allowing them to suffer the consequences of sinning without fearing God?

The loyal angels were never the ones who made clear the consequences of sinning. Christ did this.

Please keep in mind what you have posted elsewhere, that you believe only the successful death of Jesus on the cross could have effectively eliminated the seed of rebellion, that only His death could have severed the last link of sympathy in the hearts of loyal angels toward Satan.

You're adding the "only" again.

If Jesus had not died on the cross, how would God have accomplished what only the death of Jesus could accomplish?

In some other way. I can't say anything beyond this because God hasn't told us.

TE: In fact, the risk was 100% that Christ would lose His life. ... Since the death of Jesus' humanity was inevitable the risk of His loss of life was 100%.

MM: If His death was 100% certain, what was the risk? Until the moment He died, Jesus could have gone back to heaven, right? So, how can we say His death was 100% certain?

TE: The human race would have ceased to exist apart from Christ's entering our race. That's right there in the quote. My reading of the quote is that had the plan of salvation not been instituted, man would have immediately perished. That seems very clear to me from the quote.

MM: Does this logic also apply to the human race, including those already in heaven, if Jesus had failed at saving us?

TE: "If Jesus had not volunteered to save us, what would have become of the evil angels?" The same thing that will become of them given that Christ did come. They would have been given the opportunity to demonstrate the viability of their government, and they would have failed, because the principle of selfishness doesn't work. "What purpose would it serve to allow them to cohabitate the planet with fallen humans?" The fallen humans would have ceased to exist, so there would have been noone with whom to cohabitate.

MM: It doesn't seem fair for God to allow the humans to perish right away but to allow evil angels to live. What could the evil angels prove that the humans could not? How would Satan's failure on earth be any different than God's failure in heaven (so far as proving God's form of governing is better than Satan's)?

TE: "What would the [evil angels] have done that would have eventually helped the loyal angels to understand God's allowing [the evil angels] to suffer the consequences of sinning without [the loyal angels also] fearing God?" The loyal angels were never the ones who made clear the consequences of sinning. Christ did this.

MM: I reworded the question. Did it help? What I'm asking is if Jesus had not demonstrated the consequences of sinning, how would the loyal angels understand it when God finally allows them to suffer and die?

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88286
04/26/07 01:24 AM
04/26/07 01:24 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

This is not at all mysterious. God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.

If, as you insist, God did not, could not, know with certainty that Jesus would succeed, why, then, did He say so over and over again throughout the OT and the NT?

Why wouldn't He?

Why is it that He never once expressed doubt or uncertainty about it?

Why would He?

You seem to be asking me why God inspired the Bible writes to write certain things and not others. I cannot speak for God on this question. I can only speak of what God did reveal.

God did reveal to a modern day prophet that He sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. As to why He didn't do so earlier, with one of the Scripture writers, how could I possibly know that?

Could it be that the risk concept Sister White introduced 1,900 years after Jesus succeeded on the cross does not imply God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross?

I don't see how. It's like 2 + 2 = 4.

A.If God knows a certain thing will happen with 100% certainty, then that thing will happen.

B.God knew Christ would succeed with 100% certain.

C.It is certain Christ would succeed.

D.Therefore, there is no risk that Christ would fail.

This seems to follow, like 2 + 2 = 4. Do you see any error here?

Could it be that you have drawn the wrong conclusions?

Could it be that you have drawn wrong conclusions?

MM: MM: Be that as it may, you still haven't explained why Jesus described in precise detail exactly what would happen during His earthly sojourn and that He would succeed at saving us.

TE: This is not at all mysterious. God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.

MM: Tom, there is no evidence in the Bible or the SOP that God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed. The only evidence we have clearly, plainly states that Jesus would succeed. Based on this evidence we are left with no other logical choice but to believe God knew with 100% certainty that Jesus would succeed. To suggest that God employed a modern day prophet to set the record straight is, in my opinion, an abuse of the SOP.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #88287
04/26/07 01:29 AM
04/26/07 01:29 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I am bumping this post for convenience:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
A.If God is 100% certain that a thing will happen, that thing is 100% certain to happen.

By starting this premise off with the word “if” you are implying there are times when God does not know ahead of time how the future will play out. I believe God knows ahead of time how everything will play out because He knows the future like He knows the past. Thus, God is 100% certain how everything will play out, and everything is 100% certain to play out accordingly.

B.Risk means there is a chance of loss; that is, a greater than 0% chance that a given event will occur which results in loss.

True. But when we factor in God’s ability to know the future like He knows the past “risk” means more than what it means to those of us who know nothing about the future outcome of a given event. But just because God knew with 100% certainty that Jesus would succeed in saving us, it didn’t diminish the “risk” Jesus experienced during His earthly sojourn. In this case, “risk” didn’t mean God was uncertain if Jesus would fail or succeed.

C.Because God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, there was a greater than 0% chance that Christ would suffer failure and eternal loss.

God did not send His Son to live and die for us not knowing if He would fail or succeed. The “risk” Jesus took was real. He could have sinned. He could have failed. But God knew He would succeed. Jesus knew He was going to continue succeeding until His death on the cross. He never once doubted it. But knowing so did not diminish His experience. He still sweated great drops of blood.

D.Therefore it could not be the case that God was 100% certain that Christ would not suffer failure or eternal loss.

False. The fact God repeatedly declared that Jesus would succeed in saving us is evidence He knew with 100% certainty that Jesus would succeed. He never once doubted it. Knowing so, however, did not lessen the agony of soul God felt as Jesus suffered and died.

TE: You agree with what you stated previously regarding B and D, which is that B is true and D is false. However, you didn't state what your opinion is regarding A and C. Are you wishing to change your opinion and deem either A or C as false? If not, then you need to deal with the reasoning, the logic, above that explains why your assertion that D is false leads to a contradiction if you assert that A, B and C are true.

MM: Perhaps it would help if I reworded your formula to reflect what I think is true and right:

A. God is 100% certain how everything will play out, and everything is 100% certain to play out accordingly.

B. The disciples did not know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross, therefore, they believed there was a greater than 0% risk that He would fail.

C. Both the Father and Jesus knew with 100% certainty that He would succeed on the cross. Not once, therefore, did either one of them doubt it.

D. Even though both the Father and Jesus were 100% certain He would succeed, it did not diminish the agony of soul that both of them suffered during His intense ordeal.

Now, based on this new and improved formula, do you still think I am contradicting myself? Just in case you accuse me of missing the point or being illogical or whatever, please bear in mind I do not believe that the risk of failure and eternal loss Jesus incurred while He was here in any way implies God did not know with certainty if Jesus would fail or succeed. Because God is God He can know Jesus will succeed and still suffer agony of soul as His only begotten Son suffered and died. No amount of logic and no cleverly crafted formulas can change these amazing facts.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #88291
04/26/07 03:07 AM
04/26/07 03:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Sin is what causes the wicked not to be able to bear the glory of God.

MM: This implies that sin would not cause a sinner to suffer and die if they were able to avoid the unveiled glory of God. This poses a possible problem. Why didn't Satan die in the presence of Jesus when He granted him an audience after he was cast out of heaven?

From the assumptions you've laid out, it's pretty obvious that it's because Jesus veiled His glory.

TE: I'd be interested in quotes that have to do with how Adam and Eve would demonstrate the truth about God, disproving the issues that Satan had raised.

MM: At this point, I'm basing it on the fact Adam and Eve would have been in perpetual favor with God and the loyal angels if they had successfully resisted Satan's initial attack. This insight implies that loyal angels would also have been in perpetual favor with God, thus indicating that they would have been impervious to the seeds of doubt or rebellion. Do you see what I mean?

No, not really. God created millions of worlds, all of which were in favor with God. The holy angels were already in favor with God. Why would the angels be dependent upon Adam and Eve in order to be in favor with God? The seeds of doubt, spoken of in DA 764, had to do with the angels misunderstanding the cause of Satan's death, misinterpreting it as being due to God rather than as the inevitable result of sin. How would Adam and Eve had helped make this clear to the unfallen angels?

TE: I don't believe the angels have any doubts regarding God anymore, since Calvary. In the above referenced quote, Sister White said something like the question if God acted in self-interest was forever answered by the cross. The angels and unfallen worlds have already been eternally secured by what Jesus Christ did. They are not dependent upon the 144,000 in any way.

MM: What do you think the following quote means in light of these ideas?

Just what it says. The angles could still learn more; they're not omniscient. There's nothing in the quote that in any way suggests that they had any doubts related to God or any uncertainty in regards to Satan's character.

MM: “God had sworn by Himself that Jesus would succeed.” And yet you insist God was not 100% certain if Jesus would fail or succeed. How could He swear by Himself that Jesus would succeed?

TE: Because He had faith in His Son. His swearing was based on faith and character, not His ability to see the future. This sounds like something John B. would say. Haven't heard from him in quite a while.

MM: If Jesus had failed, how, then, would God have been able to maintain the loyalty of the holy angels? How could they trust Him if what He swore proved to be wrong?

I don't know why you're wanting to pursue this. Who knows what would have happened? It would have been bad, that's for sure.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88292
04/26/07 03:17 AM
04/26/07 03:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: In fact, the risk was 100% that Christ would lose His life. ... Since the death of Jesus' humanity was inevitable the risk of His loss of life was 100%.

MM: If His death was 100% certain, what was the risk? Until the moment He died, Jesus could have gone back to heaven, right? So, how can we say His death was 100% certain?

[color;blue]The risk that Christ would lose His life is that Christ would lose His life. If you think there was a chance that Christ could have gone back to heaven, that's fine. What do you think the chance was? We'll adjust the risk factor by that.[/color]

TE: The human race would have ceased to exist apart from Christ's entering our race. That's right there in the quote. My reading of the quote is that had the plan of salvation not been instituted, man would have immediately perished. That seems very clear to me from the quote.

MM: Does this logic also apply to the human race, including those already in heaven, if Jesus had failed at saving us?

As I've stated several times now, I have no idea what would have happened if Jesus had failed, except that it would have been horrible. I'm not sure if anyone anywhere would have survived.

TE: "If Jesus had not volunteered to save us, what would have become of the evil angels?" The same thing that will become of them given that Christ did come. They would have been given the opportunity to demonstrate the viability of their government, and they would have failed, because the principle of selfishness doesn't work. "What purpose would it serve to allow them to cohabitate the planet with fallen humans?" The fallen humans would have ceased to exist, so there would have been noone with whom to cohabitate.

MM: It doesn't seem fair for God to allow the humans to perish right away but to allow evil angels to live. What could the evil angels prove that the humans could not? How would Satan's failure on earth be any different than God's failure in heaven (so far as proving God's form of governing is better than Satan's)?

TE: "What would the [evil angels] have done that would have eventually helped the loyal angels to understand God's allowing [the evil angels] to suffer the consequences of sinning without [the loyal angels also] fearing God?" The loyal angels were never the ones who made clear the consequences of sinning. Christ did this.

MM: I reworded the question. Did it help? What I'm asking is if Jesus had not demonstrated the consequences of sinning, how would the loyal angels understand it when God finally allows them to suffer and die?

How would I know the answer to this? All I can say is perhaps God could have done something else. All we know is that Jesus' death did show the effects of sin. Nowhere are we told either that there is no other way that God could have accomplished this, nor what other means God could have used, assuming that God could have accomplished this in some other way. There's certainly no way I could know what other means God could have used. But the fact that you or I don't know how God could have done something doesn't mean that God couldn't have done something we don't know about.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88293
04/26/07 03:37 AM
04/26/07 03:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

TE: This is not at all mysterious. God can see every possibility, including what would happen if Jesus succeeded. This is the only possibility we need to know about.

MM: Tom, there is no evidence in the Bible or the SOP that God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed.

Sure this is! At least in the Spirit of Prophecy. I've already pointed this out to you many times now. I don't know why you keep asserting the same thing over and over again without reference to what I've already posted quite a number of times. But, just for you, here we go again:

1."Christ could have failed. He could have sinned."
2."God send His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss."
3."Remember Christ risked all."
4."Heaven itself was imperiled for our redemption."
5."He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss."
6.When Waggoner made the argument that Christ could not have failed because He had perfect faith, Ellen White corrected him, emphacizing that Christ could have failed.
7."The fate of humanity hung in the balance."

There are seven items of evidence that God could not have known ahead of time with 100% certainty that Christ would succeed. Not a one of these could logically have been true had that been the case. (I've given cites for these quotes many times, but will provide them for any of the above if you're interested).

The only evidence we have clearly, plainly states that Jesus would succeed. Based on this evidence we are left with no other logical choice but to believe God knew with 100% certainty that Jesus would succeed. To suggest that God employed a modern day prophet to set the record straight is, in my opinion, an abuse of the SOP.

If God were 100% certain that Christ would succeed, none of the 7 things I listed above could have been true. There are probably other proofs I'm not aware of as well that Christ could have failed. A case can be made from Scripturee was well. Ellen White was by no means the first to assert that Christ could have failed. If you research this subject on the internet, you can see that this subject has been discussed for centuries.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88295
04/26/07 03:43 AM
04/26/07 03:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: You agree with what you stated previously regarding B and D, which is that B is true and D is false. However, you didn't state what your opinion is regarding A and C. Are you wishing to change your opinion and deem either A or C as false? If not, then you need to deal with the reasoning, the logic, above that explains why your assertion that D is false leads to a contradiction if you assert that A, B and C are true.

MM: Perhaps it would help if I reworded your formula to reflect what I think is true and right:

A. God is 100% certain how everything will play out, and everything is 100% certain to play out accordingly.

B. The disciples did not know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross, therefore, they believed there was a greater than 0% risk that He would fail.

C. Both the Father and Jesus knew with 100% certainty that He would succeed on the cross. Not once, therefore, did either one of them doubt it.

D. Even though both the Father and Jesus were 100% certain He would succeed, it did not diminish the agony of soul that both of them suffered during His intense ordeal.

Now, based on this new and improved formula, do you still think I am contradicting myself? Just in case you accuse me of missing the point or being illogical or whatever, please bear in mind I do not believe that the risk of failure and eternal loss Jesus incurred while He was here in any way implies God did not know with certainty if Jesus would fail or succeed. Because God is God He can know Jesus will succeed and still suffer agony of soul as His only begotten Son suffered and died. No amount of logic and no cleverly crafted formulas can change these amazing facts.

No, I'm not interested in your reworking the formula, as you put it. I'm interested in your addressing the argument I actually put forth. If you assert that D (in my argument) is true, then either A or C (as I worded it) must be false (since you re-asserted that B is true), or there must be something invalid in my reasoning.

I'm surprised you would even attempt to reword the premises I put forth. It makes it appear that you're not familiar with how a logical argument works. You can't go monkeying around with the premises without messing up the argument.

After your mucking around with the premises I made, there isn't even an argument left.

The contradiction comes from your asserting, from my argument, that C is true but D is false.

That contradiction still stands.

Reply Quote
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!