HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,648
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, daylily, 1 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41577
10/20/00 02:57 AM
10/20/00 02:57 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
A 13 year old boy and his 14 year old sister, who belong to the Church of God (Restoration) have been taught that it is wrong to watch TV. But they have TV in school. Whenever the TV was used for showing news programs or videos for class, the two would get up and leave the classroom. As a result, they were suspended from the junior high they attend near Toledo, Ohio.

At this time the suspension is on hold while the students' parents and school authorities attempt to work out a solution.

quote:
The children's mother, Selena Maurer, became a member of the Dayton Church of God when she separated from David Maurer in 1993. Since then, she said, she and the couple's five children have embraced the church's teaching on television, which includes prohibitions against video games and movies. Even before that, she said, she monitored her children's television viewing.

"For me, religion has nothing to do with this," Mr. Calvin said. "There's a court order that says the father is in charge of all their educational decisions and he wants them to be in class, all classes, participating in a regular public education setting." This includes the school's daily Channel One "news" broadcast televised at the start of each school day. The program, which contains advertising aimed at students in grades 6-12, has been criticized for its commercial exploitation of schoolchildren. . . .

Mr. Tinsman said he believes television discourages the development of social skills in people because they are used to listening to one side and giving no response. He said TV also robs time from families. "Most people who have children do not have a hard time understanding our stand on this. Most of them say they have trouble monitoring it anyhow."

Mr. Tinsman's church, which grew out of a split in 1910 with the Church of God-Anderson, Ind., allows radios, but only for such uses as listening to the news or weather bulletins. "Because you can't see it, there is less potential for evil, but we are extremely careful with the radio."

Likewise, he said, church members restrict the use of phones. "We practice carefulness in every area concerning our children. They don't just grow up. They're raised."

Mr. Tinsman said church members also dress modestly. Women wear skirts and both men and women wear long sleeves. "People would probably consider us old-fashioned, though we don't necessarily say that, but we live plain. We all have public jobs and drive cars. We're not Amish or anything, but we live plain, simple lives."

The school principal believes that the children should just look away rather than walk out of the classroom.

How I would to see millions more young people, youth, and children who are willing to take such a strong stand for what they believe. These young people have a lot of courage.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited October 19, 2000).]

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41578
11/14/00 10:16 PM
11/14/00 10:16 PM
Vincent E MacIsaac  Offline
Eastern Canada, currently resi...
Hmmmm...

Well there is two issues here. I agree they should not be suspended for a religious conviction. That to me is simple common sense.

Still the other side of it is, it is not like they were watching anything offensive on the TV. It was not Jerry Springer or even a suggestive sitcom. It was a simple Educational broadcast. I could see if it had was a educational show that was objectable like an evolution show or something.

There is a larger lesson here I think. That is when we can go along with something, that is not unreasonable we should. Taking our faith stance to the limit on non issues will cause people to remember us in a bad way when something of strong merit dose arise.

That just my take, feel free to disagree.
Vince

------------------
This restless world is just illusion
All at once, there’s a message from above
This senseless world of mass confusion ....

In the name of love
There’s a message from above ... (Sammy Hagar 2000)

[Vince, I removed the quoted material since it was redundant. All of your posting is will intact. Linda Sutton]

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited November 14, 2000).]

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41579
11/15/00 04:08 AM
11/15/00 04:08 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
If you start compromising here, where do you draw the line?

These children were raised that television ( of any kind) isn't good for you.
I agree, I have a terrible time with it.
I wish I had never seen one of those idiot boxes.

There is a song that Arrin Tippon wrote and sang, You've got to stand for somethin', or you'll fall for anything.....

Maybe if we all stood for what we believed, and not compromise on little things, maybe we'd be home by now.

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41580
11/15/00 06:51 PM
11/15/00 06:51 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There is nothing wrong with TV in itself. It is what you watch that may be wrong.

The same is true of the computer and the internet. It is where you surf that may be wrong.

After saying all that, I respect a person's convictions and willingness to follow those convictions. They should also have the freedom to follow their own convictions as long as those convictions don't break the Law of God, namely the Ten Commandments.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 15, 2000).]

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41581
11/16/00 01:22 AM
11/16/00 01:22 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
God gives us the freedom to choose not to obey his ten commandments too.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41582
11/16/00 03:27 AM
11/16/00 03:27 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That's true, Cathy, and thank you for challenging me on that as I didn't mean to say what I actually said, however, the results of that choice of choosing to break God's Ten Commandments is definitely and clearly disasterous, whereas, a difference between my convictions on something and your convictions on that same subject may not necessarily be disasterous.

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl Fawcett (edited November 15, 2000).]

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41583
11/18/00 03:49 PM
11/18/00 03:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Vince

I would have to respectfully disagree with your statements here.

It is pretty hard to say that watching the news casts is harmless. I have a specific example that I could give, but it is so gross that I won't print it here. The news, it seems, is more than news.

But then, we have to think of those "commercials." What do they do to children?

------------------
"We are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets; Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone!" (Eph.2:20).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41584
11/18/00 07:27 PM
11/18/00 07:27 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree with David on some news items I have unfortunately seen on TV that was very graphic in words as well as in pictures which adults shouldn't really hear and see let alone children.

Daryl

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41585
11/19/00 01:54 AM
11/19/00 01:54 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Yep! Anytime Monica Lewinsky was mentioned, it was (and still is) a good time to mute, or find another web site as I did tonight.

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41586
02/08/01 08:17 AM
02/08/01 08:17 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
One of the main reasons our family dispensed with a TV years ago was because of the terrible violence in the News.
I would hate to think what it is like today!

And I wonder what choice we will make when the pressure is on to keep Sunday?
Will we be as obedient to what we know is right as these 2 children are?

Be Still, My Soul.
Zita

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41587
02/09/01 02:23 PM
02/09/01 02:23 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I agree.
If we fail to take a stand on these 'little' issues, how will we be able to stand when the life and death issues come.
We will be so used to compromise, odds are, we will cave in.
Pray God we will learn to stand on principal now, so, when the real trouble comes, we will be ready to stand then.

------------------
Chose you this day whom you will serve,
as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

What is popular is not always right.
What is right is not always popular.

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41588
02/09/01 08:50 PM
02/09/01 08:50 PM
W
Wedntgp  Offline
?
This is an interesting discussion. It calls to mind the religious beliefs of many religions that are not considered in the main stream. What do you do with Native American who sincerely believes that he should use peyote to attain a level of spirituality necessary to participate in his worship? Should he stand by his beliefs too? What about the Amish person who believes that it is a sin to adorn one self or one's property with bight colors, and therefore cannot put a red slow moving vehicle triangle reflector on the horse drawn buggy the family travels in? Is that a belief that should be uncompromised? Should the family that believes that adultery should be punished by death be allowed to put their unmarried, pregnant daughter to death, or if she is a minor, should they be forced to provide for her? It is a violation of their religious beliefs.

It is interesting that the belief of this subject family would apparently prevent them from watching any of the "Net" meetings broadcast the last few years.

It seems that satellite classrooms are being used more and more. I made a presentation at a college class that was held on two campuses, and the active connection was television. If a school district determines that satellite or remote classrooms are the best and most efficient way to present a subject, can a students religious belief stand in the way, and can the student refuse to participate and expect to receive credit for that class?

All in all, the situation presents issues not easily resolved.

Re: Suspended for Refusing to Watch TV in School #41589
02/09/01 09:13 PM
02/09/01 09:13 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have participated in interactive satellite business TV meetings uplinked from Ottawa to various locations throughout Canada, however, there was never any advertising involved.

I don't see any problem in that type of broadcast as long as there are not any TV ads involved.

I admire the stand they took in standing up to their beliefs.

I pray we will be faithful in the truth that we know and understand especially in these endtimes as the endtime events continue to unfold and continues to unfold into the very days when the life and death test will suddenly come upon us. Will we bow down to the Golden Statue? I pray we will stand as only three of all of the children of Israel stood when their test suddenly came upon them.

Romans 8:28

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!