HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42301
11/23/02 07:40 PM
11/23/02 07:40 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The series of books by British author J. K. Rowling are the hottest books on the market for kids and adults. But as most people know, Harry Potter is a wizard, a practioner of witchcraft, which God condemned in the Bible. Among Christian groups there is much debate over whether children should be allowed to read these books. The Adventist Review has had two or three articles on the books.

What would you do if your child (whether you are a parent of school age children or not) wanted to read one of these books? Would you permit your child to see the movies either in the theater or in your's or another person's home?

=======

When I moved a copy of this topic into another forum I didn't realize it would not leave the POLL here. - Daryl. [Eek!]

[ January 30, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42302
11/23/02 08:03 PM
11/23/02 08:03 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Once you have taken the poll, you might be interesed in reading two articles which appeared in the Review: Socery In A Stone: A Closer Look and What Do We Do with Harry Potter?

You can also read the email responses to the second article.

The Harry Potter Books topic in the Family Concerns forum also contains information.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42303
11/27/02 03:35 AM
11/27/02 03:35 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Thus far, six people have voted. There is no closing date on this poll, so those that haven't voted can vote anytime.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42304
11/30/02 01:18 AM
11/30/02 01:18 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
I always was a sci-fi adventure nut..very into Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. Seems it used to be the expected goodguys against the badguys, and people using their wits to overcome danger, evil, etc. Now it has all made an insidious turn. The occult, and wizardry, has taken a stronger emphasis, especially the dark side of it. I read the first two Harry Potter and see why kids, of all ages, are enthralled. Such marvelous imagination! But I quit reading as I was subjected to so much of witchcraft and sorcery all through it. Even as an adult, I do not intend to become involved in this which God, and the SDA standpoint, has told us is dangerous.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42305
01/13/03 02:23 AM
01/13/03 02:23 AM
G
Gracie  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Fredericton NB
The bible is clear in the first chapter of Romans in the last verse Paul says that those who approve of evil are as guilty as those who do it... if I am entertained by a movie, music or a book... I am in some sense approving of it. If we hold up books and movies to the light of the word we will be safely guided.... Our spirituality can be blunted by the things we eat, read, watch, or participate in making it more difficult for the Holy Spirit to speak to us... in these days, whether they are the very last days or not, a terrible battle is raging between good and evil... knowingly blunting our spiritual discernment is dangerous...and our children are even more vulnerable than we are...

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42306
01/13/03 02:56 AM
01/13/03 02:56 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The results indicate that 10 people have voted. Two people have said they would let their child read the books but only one said they would let their child watch the movies. Why? What is the difference between reading the book and watching the book acted out? (This is a serious question and I am not being facious or sarcastic.)

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42307
01/14/03 03:26 AM
01/14/03 03:26 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Linda:

I take your question seriously. A movie appeals to more of the senses than does reading a book. The movie has the visual sense, as well as the auditory. Further, the sound effects of the movie are designed to communicate a messaage just as much as is the dialogue. This compounds the effect. From the standpoint of psychology, the multiple sensory stimulations of the movie are much more effective than is the mere reading of a book.

In our home, my wife and I have informed our son that he will neither read the books, nor see the HP movie. We have told him why.

However, when the Lord of the Rings Triology came out in print we discussed, and decided he could purchase and read the book if he wanted to do so. But, after I also read the Triology, we discussed and told him he could not see any of the movies that might come from the book. As I read the reviews of what has been filmed, I believe that we made the correct decision.

He is fifteen. We discuss and tell him why. Recently someone asked him if he would like to have a copy of THE CHILDREN OF SANCHEZ. I immediately told the person that I did not consider that to be an appropriate book for him. They argued with me. But, I am his Father.

Later my son asked me why. So, I told him it was a serious sociological study that was a classic to people who studied sociology. I then told him some of what was in the book. And, I told him that if he told me he wanted to read it, he could, but he, his mother, and I would discuss what he was reading with him. He immediately informed me that he did not want to read it. Ten years from now, he might. It might be appropriate at that time. But, he does not need it now at fifteen.

At his develomental stage, he must make decisions under guidance. Then at other times, we, as his parents, must make the decisions. My wife and I are agreed that we will allow him to read some books that we will not allow him to watch the filmed verson.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42308
01/15/03 02:09 AM
01/15/03 02:09 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Re: Lord of the Rings
quote:
In the education of children and youth, fairy tales, myths, and fictitious stories are now given a large place. Books of this character are used in the schools, and they are to be found in many homes. How can Christian parents permit their children to use books so filled with falsehood? When the children ask the meaning of stories so contrary to the teaching of their parents, the answer is that the stories are not true; but this does not do away with the evil results of their use. The ideas presented in these books mislead the children. They impart false views of life and beget and foster a desire for the unreal.

The widespread use of such books at this time is one of the cunning devices of Satan. He is seeking to divert the minds of old and young from the great work of character building. He means that our children and youth shall be swept away by the soul-destroying deceptions with which he is filling the world. Therefore he seeks to divert their minds from the word of God and thus prevent them from obtaining a knowledge of those truths that would be their safeguard.

Never should books containing a perversion of truth be placed in the hands of children or youth. Let not our children, in the very process of obtaining an education, receive ideas that will prove to be seeds of sin. If those with mature minds had nothing to do with such books, they would themselves be far safer, and their example and influence on the right side would make it far less difficult to guard the youth from temptation. (MH 446-7)

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42309
01/15/03 01:31 PM
01/15/03 01:31 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Linda:

I wondered if you would come back at me with an EGW quotation regarding our decision to allow my 15 year-old to purchase and read the LORD OF THE RINGS.

A child in their mid-teens needs to be making decisions for themself in some areas. They may make wroing decisions, but, they need to be given some freedom to make those choices. As they are not fully of legal age, they still need some boundries. My wife and I decided that the appropriate boundries for our son was to allow the book and not the movie.

I will point out to you that the author of THE LORD OF THE RINGS was a Christian, as was C. S. Lewis. He chose what we today might call a parable, story, myth, or something else to communicate some spritual truth. Granted, it is not all truth. But, what in the religious world is 100% truth--outside of some examples you might mention.

=======

As I have been made aware that the last part of this post focused on a person rather than on the subject matter, I have now removed this part of the post. - Daryl.

[ January 30, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42310
01/15/03 03:49 PM
01/15/03 03:49 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Speaking of Jesus, did he not use fictional stories to make a point for a higher truth? I think it fair to say that many of His parables were fictional stories and not factual news reports of actual events. Some of them were true to life, some were adaptations from common Jewish moral tales. Some of them contained elements of falsehood and examples of sinful and immoral behavior which are, of course, true to life. And let's not forget the apocalyptic literary imagery again used by Jesus in the book of Revelation to illustrate greater truths and the total history of redemption from begining to end.

Superficially, one has a hard time reconciling the above quote from EGW with the reality of what we find in Scripture. (And as has been hashed over before, remember her high praise for the classic work of fiction, Pilgrim's Progress.) But on closer examination she does hint at something that may help. First we need to be mindful of the purpose for which the story was written or told originally and second we need to closely examine our reason and purpose for reading them ourselves and what we get out of them of positive moral worth.

I have not read any of the HP books, but I have read a great deal about them from people who have done so. That is enough for me. I feel no need to see for myself. And fortunately my sons (12 and 15) both agree and understand the issues and why it is unacceptable in our judgment. But if one of my sons was insistent, I would probably consider, albeit reluctantly and after some considerable discussion, reading and critiquing one of the books with him.

On the other hand, we have read the Chronicles of Narnia several times together and the boys have read them on their own a number of times. My oldest son and I have read the Hobbit (the prequel to LOR) and the Lord of the Rings triology and my youngest has read the Hobbit and has started the triology. We have seen both the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. We have also discussed the meaning and the moral virutes to be found in this epic literature. Even though this is quite deep literature, even my youngest son has been quite insightful and shows considerable understanding of the meaning and values portrayed. I do not believe this has been a waste of time and quite to the contrary I believe it has given them an appreciation for higher and nobler things.

Having read the triology of the Lord of the Rings, I find it hard to lump it together with the HP series. They are not even close to being similar. HP has as much in common with Scripture as it does with LOTR. And no, I am not putting LOTR on a par with Scripture. [Roll Eyes] (Although, I would suggest that LOTR has a great deal in common with the themes and imagery of Scripture, the Great Controversy and the book of Revelation.) As books have been written about this literature, I will not even attempt to explain. But I am convinced there is a huge difference. At least consider the astronomical differences between the authors and their respective purposes for writing.

Just one man's view.

Tom

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!