HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42301
11/23/02 07:40 PM
11/23/02 07:40 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The series of books by British author J. K. Rowling are the hottest books on the market for kids and adults. But as most people know, Harry Potter is a wizard, a practioner of witchcraft, which God condemned in the Bible. Among Christian groups there is much debate over whether children should be allowed to read these books. The Adventist Review has had two or three articles on the books.

What would you do if your child (whether you are a parent of school age children or not) wanted to read one of these books? Would you permit your child to see the movies either in the theater or in your's or another person's home?

=======

When I moved a copy of this topic into another forum I didn't realize it would not leave the POLL here. - Daryl. [Eek!]

[ January 30, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42302
11/23/02 08:03 PM
11/23/02 08:03 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Once you have taken the poll, you might be interesed in reading two articles which appeared in the Review: Socery In A Stone: A Closer Look and What Do We Do with Harry Potter?

You can also read the email responses to the second article.

The Harry Potter Books topic in the Family Concerns forum also contains information.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42303
11/27/02 03:35 AM
11/27/02 03:35 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Thus far, six people have voted. There is no closing date on this poll, so those that haven't voted can vote anytime.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42304
11/30/02 01:18 AM
11/30/02 01:18 AM
Restin  Offline
Apopka, Florida, USA
I always was a sci-fi adventure nut..very into Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. Seems it used to be the expected goodguys against the badguys, and people using their wits to overcome danger, evil, etc. Now it has all made an insidious turn. The occult, and wizardry, has taken a stronger emphasis, especially the dark side of it. I read the first two Harry Potter and see why kids, of all ages, are enthralled. Such marvelous imagination! But I quit reading as I was subjected to so much of witchcraft and sorcery all through it. Even as an adult, I do not intend to become involved in this which God, and the SDA standpoint, has told us is dangerous.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42305
01/13/03 02:23 AM
01/13/03 02:23 AM
G
Gracie  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Fredericton NB
The bible is clear in the first chapter of Romans in the last verse Paul says that those who approve of evil are as guilty as those who do it... if I am entertained by a movie, music or a book... I am in some sense approving of it. If we hold up books and movies to the light of the word we will be safely guided.... Our spirituality can be blunted by the things we eat, read, watch, or participate in making it more difficult for the Holy Spirit to speak to us... in these days, whether they are the very last days or not, a terrible battle is raging between good and evil... knowingly blunting our spiritual discernment is dangerous...and our children are even more vulnerable than we are...

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42306
01/13/03 02:56 AM
01/13/03 02:56 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
The results indicate that 10 people have voted. Two people have said they would let their child read the books but only one said they would let their child watch the movies. Why? What is the difference between reading the book and watching the book acted out? (This is a serious question and I am not being facious or sarcastic.)

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42307
01/14/03 03:26 AM
01/14/03 03:26 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Linda:

I take your question seriously. A movie appeals to more of the senses than does reading a book. The movie has the visual sense, as well as the auditory. Further, the sound effects of the movie are designed to communicate a messaage just as much as is the dialogue. This compounds the effect. From the standpoint of psychology, the multiple sensory stimulations of the movie are much more effective than is the mere reading of a book.

In our home, my wife and I have informed our son that he will neither read the books, nor see the HP movie. We have told him why.

However, when the Lord of the Rings Triology came out in print we discussed, and decided he could purchase and read the book if he wanted to do so. But, after I also read the Triology, we discussed and told him he could not see any of the movies that might come from the book. As I read the reviews of what has been filmed, I believe that we made the correct decision.

He is fifteen. We discuss and tell him why. Recently someone asked him if he would like to have a copy of THE CHILDREN OF SANCHEZ. I immediately told the person that I did not consider that to be an appropriate book for him. They argued with me. But, I am his Father.

Later my son asked me why. So, I told him it was a serious sociological study that was a classic to people who studied sociology. I then told him some of what was in the book. And, I told him that if he told me he wanted to read it, he could, but he, his mother, and I would discuss what he was reading with him. He immediately informed me that he did not want to read it. Ten years from now, he might. It might be appropriate at that time. But, he does not need it now at fifteen.

At his develomental stage, he must make decisions under guidance. Then at other times, we, as his parents, must make the decisions. My wife and I are agreed that we will allow him to read some books that we will not allow him to watch the filmed verson.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42308
01/15/03 02:09 AM
01/15/03 02:09 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Re: Lord of the Rings
quote:
In the education of children and youth, fairy tales, myths, and fictitious stories are now given a large place. Books of this character are used in the schools, and they are to be found in many homes. How can Christian parents permit their children to use books so filled with falsehood? When the children ask the meaning of stories so contrary to the teaching of their parents, the answer is that the stories are not true; but this does not do away with the evil results of their use. The ideas presented in these books mislead the children. They impart false views of life and beget and foster a desire for the unreal.

The widespread use of such books at this time is one of the cunning devices of Satan. He is seeking to divert the minds of old and young from the great work of character building. He means that our children and youth shall be swept away by the soul-destroying deceptions with which he is filling the world. Therefore he seeks to divert their minds from the word of God and thus prevent them from obtaining a knowledge of those truths that would be their safeguard.

Never should books containing a perversion of truth be placed in the hands of children or youth. Let not our children, in the very process of obtaining an education, receive ideas that will prove to be seeds of sin. If those with mature minds had nothing to do with such books, they would themselves be far safer, and their example and influence on the right side would make it far less difficult to guard the youth from temptation. (MH 446-7)

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42309
01/15/03 01:31 PM
01/15/03 01:31 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Linda:

I wondered if you would come back at me with an EGW quotation regarding our decision to allow my 15 year-old to purchase and read the LORD OF THE RINGS.

A child in their mid-teens needs to be making decisions for themself in some areas. They may make wroing decisions, but, they need to be given some freedom to make those choices. As they are not fully of legal age, they still need some boundries. My wife and I decided that the appropriate boundries for our son was to allow the book and not the movie.

I will point out to you that the author of THE LORD OF THE RINGS was a Christian, as was C. S. Lewis. He chose what we today might call a parable, story, myth, or something else to communicate some spritual truth. Granted, it is not all truth. But, what in the religious world is 100% truth--outside of some examples you might mention.

=======

As I have been made aware that the last part of this post focused on a person rather than on the subject matter, I have now removed this part of the post. - Daryl.

[ January 30, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42310
01/15/03 03:49 PM
01/15/03 03:49 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Speaking of Jesus, did he not use fictional stories to make a point for a higher truth? I think it fair to say that many of His parables were fictional stories and not factual news reports of actual events. Some of them were true to life, some were adaptations from common Jewish moral tales. Some of them contained elements of falsehood and examples of sinful and immoral behavior which are, of course, true to life. And let's not forget the apocalyptic literary imagery again used by Jesus in the book of Revelation to illustrate greater truths and the total history of redemption from begining to end.

Superficially, one has a hard time reconciling the above quote from EGW with the reality of what we find in Scripture. (And as has been hashed over before, remember her high praise for the classic work of fiction, Pilgrim's Progress.) But on closer examination she does hint at something that may help. First we need to be mindful of the purpose for which the story was written or told originally and second we need to closely examine our reason and purpose for reading them ourselves and what we get out of them of positive moral worth.

I have not read any of the HP books, but I have read a great deal about them from people who have done so. That is enough for me. I feel no need to see for myself. And fortunately my sons (12 and 15) both agree and understand the issues and why it is unacceptable in our judgment. But if one of my sons was insistent, I would probably consider, albeit reluctantly and after some considerable discussion, reading and critiquing one of the books with him.

On the other hand, we have read the Chronicles of Narnia several times together and the boys have read them on their own a number of times. My oldest son and I have read the Hobbit (the prequel to LOR) and the Lord of the Rings triology and my youngest has read the Hobbit and has started the triology. We have seen both the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. We have also discussed the meaning and the moral virutes to be found in this epic literature. Even though this is quite deep literature, even my youngest son has been quite insightful and shows considerable understanding of the meaning and values portrayed. I do not believe this has been a waste of time and quite to the contrary I believe it has given them an appreciation for higher and nobler things.

Having read the triology of the Lord of the Rings, I find it hard to lump it together with the HP series. They are not even close to being similar. HP has as much in common with Scripture as it does with LOTR. And no, I am not putting LOTR on a par with Scripture. [Roll Eyes] (Although, I would suggest that LOTR has a great deal in common with the themes and imagery of Scripture, the Great Controversy and the book of Revelation.) As books have been written about this literature, I will not even attempt to explain. But I am convinced there is a huge difference. At least consider the astronomical differences between the authors and their respective purposes for writing.

Just one man's view.

Tom

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42311
01/19/03 08:44 AM
01/19/03 08:44 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
I have always approved of Lord of the Rings and the Narnia series. I do not approve of Harry Potter. Here is why. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has a clear distinction b/w good and evil and is truly a beautiful work of art. It contains many moral lessons of worth, and I have let my children watch the movie. I also have to say that when I watched it with them as opposed to the first time without, I gained so much insight into the lessons and values that were being taught. I had a much higher appreciation for it. Harry Potter I have only caught glimpses of here and there and never have read the books and have no desire to. But, it is obvious to me that it blurs the lines of good and evil throughout, and also subverts respect and authority for adults. There is a vast difference in the two that I cannot reconcile. I have no problem with children reading fiction that I have approved and in this case as in a few others, I believe it is a matter of individual judgement, not just something you can quote Mrs.White about and leave it at that. I do believe that Jesus was one of the greatest authors of parable and do not see why it cannot be used with spiritual judgement to further enhance our children's moral education.

Wendy [Reading]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42312
01/24/03 07:54 PM
01/24/03 07:54 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
As a person I must know myself and findout what do I really want for myself, and what does God want. What ever I really want, those types of preferences and tendencies of how I treat those personal preferences will be known to my kids long before Harry Potter and Tolkin comes up.

As a parent, I would be responsible to gather information concerning the issues before hand, make my decisions before hand and so not get embroiled in a parent/child contest of wills at that moment.

Some of my sources of data would be :
Scripture - Phillipians chapter 4; 2nd Peter Ch 1; John ch 17; 1st Corinthians ch 13; Sermon on the Mount from the Gospels; The stories of the family life of Eli, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Daniel, Solomon, John the baptist, Jesus.

SOP {MYP} Messages to Young People - chapters 88 - 94.

Chap. 88 {MYP 271.1 - 274.3}- "Choice of Reading"
Chap. 89 {MYP 275.1 - 278.2}- "Example of the Ephesians"
Chap. 90 {MYP 279.1 - 282.3}- "Proper Mental Food"
Chap. 91 {MYP 283.1 - 284.2}- The Bible the Most Interesting Book
Chap. 92 {MYP 285.1 - 286.2}- Guard Well the Avenues of the Soul
Chap. 93 {MYP 287.1 - 289.4}- Building Christian Character
[THIS WAS SISTER WHITE'S LAST MESSAGE FOR OUR
YOUNG PEOPLE, DURING HER LAST ILLNESS.]
Chap. 94 {MYP 290.1 - 290.3}- The Effect of Fiction

I am not naturally inclined to family worship, would the preposed reading / viewing matter make me more apt to have family worship - or less inclined to do so? The repeatedly occuring answers - like concuring second opinions from other MD's when facing serious treatments of serious medical conditions - would set the tone and direction of my answer.

To complicate matters, if I desired Harry Potter & Lord of the Rings and had to act from principle despite my personal unfulfilled desires, I could then be swayed like Eli all together too easily.

If I looked at my self and my kids as my property, it would be my decision according to my perogatives and my rights and wishes. If I looked at my self and my kids as God's property, it would be God's decision according to His perogatives and His rights and wishes, but enforced according to my personality (hopefully tempered by His motives and methods).

BTW as a warlock I read Lord of the Rings three decades ago +, and it further fueled my lust for inordinate power and pride. To those who knew how to look it taught it's own lessons of witchcraft. Then fed desires for more.

That is the topic question that is implied "what would you do"? I replied. Others will do what they will.

Buy your kids the books "Escape to God" and "Empowered Living", have seperate copies for your own use.

Then there will be no need to gether them and in the darkness bind them. The ring of Saurgon is not fiction, it is the verbal picture of the desires of Satan's heart that he seeks to plant in the hearts of the readers. No Mt Doom can burn it up, but the Doom of eternity once ignited, then will incinerate all who hold it. I won't give that to my kids.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42313
01/27/03 12:27 AM
01/27/03 12:27 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you, Ed, for sharing something personal relating to The Lord Of The Rings.

What seems to be so innocent can be what captures us in its snare.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42314
01/27/03 08:08 AM
01/27/03 08:08 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
I think it has alot to do with your environment and upbringing. I, my brother, husband, and many many friends read the Rings series as young people, and none of us ever had the desire to become witches, warlocks or what have you. I know mine is not the popular opinion here, but I'm okay with that. I know people who keep their children practically locked away from the world as well, and what usually happens is that those are the children that completely rebel as they get older because they don't know what to do with the freedom. I'm a very good example of that. I do respect all other opinions completely though, please let me make that very clear. I think we all have to do our best with the knowledge we have and continue to pray for our children and for our friends.

God bless you all!

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42315
01/27/03 08:45 AM
01/27/03 08:45 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
For all:

Mrs.White essentially opposed all fiction. So what do you think about the fables told as children? Or to be even more to the point...the Uncle Arthur? I've often wondered about this. I do not have a problem with it. But I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Thanks (from an avid reader)

[Reading]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42316
01/27/03 10:52 AM
01/27/03 10:52 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Yes, the idea can be obtained from her writings tha she opposed all fiction. That is the position that I once took. [NOTE: I am not saying that I have substantially changed it.]

However, she read short stories, written by great novelists of her day, to her children. I have to assume that those short stories were works of fiction. We have published some (not all) of those stories in a book we have titled SCRAPBOOK STORIES.

Ellen White was a complex woman. In her personal life she ws not nearly as rigid as some have gathered from reading her writings.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42317
01/28/03 04:20 AM
01/28/03 04:20 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Are you saying that EGW went against her own writings?

Now, I find that somewhat confusing. [Confused]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42318
01/28/03 04:28 AM
01/28/03 04:28 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Daryl:

I am saying that we clearly know that Ellen White read short stories to her children that were written by novelists of her day. From the standpoint of authorship, and of story content, it is preetty clear that they were works of fiction.

Some comments:

1) EGW was human, and we can not expect perfection in her.

2) People have often made her out to be more rigid than she was. I suspect that this is the issue with her use of fiction.

3) People who know, see these aspects in her in the fictious stories she told her children, in her wearing simple jewelry (a necklace), and in her eating oysters.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42319
01/27/03 06:38 PM
01/27/03 06:38 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Gregory, I find that very interesting about Sister White reading short stories to her children that were fiction. Can you provide us with the proof that these stories were fiction? I think we would all be interested in reading that proof. Thanks [Heart]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42320
01/27/03 07:00 PM
01/27/03 07:00 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess the question to ask is whether or not she did what she did prior to receiving what would be then known as new light on it?

And yes, I would also be interested in any references/quotes.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42321
01/28/03 03:07 PM
01/28/03 03:07 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee:

Your question, which I read yesterday, is valid. I hope to post a response today, but I may not be able to do so. In any case, I will respond to you, if not today, later.

Thanks for waiting.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42322
01/28/03 03:35 PM
01/28/03 03:35 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
oysters 6 SOP hits 1-{4T 435.2}, 2-5{MR852 1.1 - 4.3},6{MR926 61.5}.

Necklace = 5 SOP hits {Ev 270.2}, {3SM 246.4}, {RH, March 28, 1882 par. 7}, {RH, March 17, 1896 par. 8}, {ST, July 2, 1894 par. 2}

"Children's stories" 2 SOP hits {3BIO 52.2}, {3BIO 52.3},

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42323
01/28/03 05:01 PM
01/28/03 05:01 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
We should always take a thus saith the Lord. Always search out the truth on your own. You should never trust another human being for what could harm you or you children's salvation. Even if a moderator of this or any forum posts something that does not sound right...you MUST find out by searching the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy what is true and what is false.

quote:
High-Class Fiction
Counsels To Parents and Teachers
Page 383-385

There are works of fiction that were written for the purpose of teaching truth or exposing some great evil. Some of these works have accomplished good. Yet they have also wrought untold harm. They contain statements and highly wrought pen pictures that excite the imagination and give rise to a train of thought which is full of danger, especially to the youth. The scenes described are lived over and over again in their thoughts. Such reading unfits the mind for usefulness and disqualifies it for spiritual exercise. It destroys interest in the Bible. Heavenly things find little place in the thoughts. As the mind dwells upon the scenes of impurity portrayed, passion is aroused, and the end is sin.

Even fiction which contains no suggestion of impurity, and which may be intended to teach excellent principles, is harmful. It encourages the habit of hasty and superficial reading, merely for the story. Thus it tends to destroy the power of connected and vigorous thought; it unfits the soul to contemplate the great problems of duty and destiny.

By fostering a love for mere amusement, the reading of fiction creates a distaste for life's practical duties. Through its exciting, intoxicating power it is not infrequently a cause of both mental and physical disease. Many a miserable, neglected home, many a lifelong invalid, many an inmate of the insane asylum, has become such through the habit of novel reading.

It is often urged that in order to win the youth from sensational or worthless literature, we should supply them with a better class of fiction. This is like trying to cure a drunkard by giving him, in the place of whisky or brandy, the milder intoxicants, such as wine, beer, or cider. The use of these would continually foster the appetite for stronger stimulants. The only safety for the inebriate, and the only safeguard for the temperate man, is total abstinence. For the lover of fiction the same rule holds true. Total abstinence is his only safety.

Myths and Fairy Tales

In the education of children and youth, fairy tales, myths, and fictitious stories are now given a large place. Books of this character are used in schools, and they are to be found in many homes. How can Christian parents permit their children to use books so filled with falsehood? When the children ask the meaning of stories so contrary to the teaching of their parents, the answer is that the stories are not true; but this does not do away with the evil results of their use. The ideas presented in these books mislead the children. They impart false views of life and beget and foster a desire for the unreal.

The widespread use of such books at this time is one of the cunning devices of Satan. He is seeking to divert the minds of old and young from the great work of character building. He means that our children and youth shall be swept away by the soul-destroying deceptions with which he is filling the world. Therefore he seeks to divert their minds from the word of God and thus prevent them from obtaining a knowledge of those truths that would be their safeguard.

Never should books containing a perversion of truth be placed in the hands of children or youth.
Let not our children, in the very process of obtaining an education, receive ideas that will prove to be seeds of sin. If those with mature minds had nothing to do with such books, they would themselves be far safer, and their example and influence on the right side would make it far less difficult to guard the youth from temptation.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42324
01/28/03 05:10 PM
01/28/03 05:10 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
There is another class of books--love-stories and frivolous, exciting tales--which are a curse to every one who reads them, even though the author may attach a good moral. Often religious statements are woven all through these books; but in most cases Satan is but clothed in angel robes, to deceive and allure the unsuspicious. The practise of story reading is one of the means employed by Satan to destroy souls. It produces a false, unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise. It weans the soul from prayer and the love of spiritual things. {RH, January 23, 1913 par. 7}

[ January 28, 2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Avalee ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42325
01/28/03 05:17 PM
01/28/03 05:17 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
When we give the message in its purity, we shall have no use for pictures illustrating the birthplace of Shakespeare, or for pictures similar to the illustration of heathen goddesses that was used to fill the space on the first page of a recent number of the "Review and Herald." We are not to educate others along these lines. God pronounces against such articles and illustrations. I have a straightforward testimony to bear in regard to them. We are to extol neither idolatry nor men who did not choose to serve God. Years ago, reproof was given our editors in regard to advocating the reading of even such books as "Uncle Tom's Cabin," "Aesop's Fables," and "Robinson Crusoe." Those who begin to read such works usually desire to continue to read novels. Through the reading of enticing stories they rapidly lose their spirituality. This is one of the principal causes of the weak, uncertain spirituality of many of our youth.--Ms 169, 1902, pp. 6, 7. ("The Work of the St. Helena Sanitarium: Our Institutional Work to be Denominational," July 14, 1902.) {6MR 280.2}

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42326
01/29/03 01:33 PM
01/29/03 01:33 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee & Others:

I have e-mailed the EG White estate and asked them to make a comment on one aspect of this question that I can copy here. So far, they have not responded to my request. Once they do, I will post a response. I have not forgotten.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42327
01/30/03 04:37 AM
01/30/03 04:37 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory:
Avalee & Others:

I have e-mailed the EG White estate and asked them to make a comment on one aspect of this question that I can copy here. So far, they have not responded to my request. Once they do, I will post a response. I have not forgotten.

OK...I trust that comment is from the Spirit of Prophecy and not just their own persnoal opionion?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42328
01/29/03 06:17 PM
01/29/03 06:17 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee:

Think for a minute as to what you just said.

The issue raised is: Did EGW tell her children stories that were written by known novelists that commonly worte works of fiction? What is the evidence for this? What reason would there be to suppose that such a novelist would change and write a true story so that it could be told by EGW to her children? Could anyone logically expect that EGW would print such a statement in her published writings?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42329
01/29/03 06:19 PM
01/29/03 06:19 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Folks, as I previously stated, I asked the White Estate to comment on the question of EGWs use of fiction in the stories that she told her children. They have now responded. In the following citation, my question to them comes first. Their response to me comes next.

You will note that I was not given clear permission to post their entire response. Therefore, I have abridged it. I think that I therefore am within any restrictions placed on me. Also, in the copy/paste function, there are formatting issues. I will attempt to correct major ones that might cause problems. But, I may not correct them all.

“Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:09:26 -0600
To: "'mail@WhiteEstate.org'"
Subject: Scrapbook Stories

I am an Adventist minister who participates on a so-called Adventist chat group.

A post has been made that stated that EGW commonly read short stories to her children that were written by well-known novelists of her day, and therefore works of fiction. It was also stated that some of these stories were published by the Church in SCRAPBOOK STORIES, but many of the stories she read to them were not published.

Please comment on this post, so that I can publish your response on this chat group, and clear up any misunderstanding.

Thank you.
Gregory Matthews

Dear Pastor Matthews,

We received your query concerning the stories Ellen White collected for her children. As noted, many of the stories she selected were eventually published in various series both in her day and after her death. These publications included (in her day), the "Golden Grains" series and "Sabbath Readings for the Home Circle," first issued in the 1870s. In later years the church issued selections from those "readings" in a collection known as "Scrapbook Stories," so named because Ellen White had clipped choice articles and pasted them into scrapbooks for her children. We still have a
few original scrapbooks in our collection.

As to the question of whether these stories included works of fiction, I rely upon an extensive study of the scrapbook articles that was made by Dr. John Waller in the early 1960s. At the time he was chairman of the Department of English at Andrews University. His research endeavored to understand what Mrs. White meant when she used the term "fiction." He summarized his study in a 15-page paper presented before his colleagues in August 1965. The paper was later published by Loma Linda University. As I do not know what copyright restrictions may be involved in posting his paper or parts therefore in a public forum, I suggest you read the abbreviated "summary of his summary" I have copied below and that you might want to put his conclusions in your own words for anything you might wish to publicly post in your response. I quote the following from Waller's paper:

"In her preface to Volume 1 of 'Sabbath Readings,' Mrs. White stated that she had 'been gathering a large amount of moral and religious reading during the past twenty years.' From this she had selected material for 'Sabbath Readings.' . . . Probably she collected for many years, preserving items that interested her, including stories to read to her own children, before anybody thought about her editing a book like 'Sabbath Readings.'. . . [sic.]

"I painstakingly examined one hundred ninety-four stories for any indication of origin. [Remember that these had been clipped from periodicals and pasted into scrapbooks.] [sic.] Most were anonymous. Those with identifiable authors were mostly by names now lost in obscurity. A few were recognizable as well-known fiction writers of their day including Hans Christian Anderson, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and T. S. Arthur, author of 'Ten Nights in a Barroom.'

[Dr. Waller goes on to say that it can be determined that 26 stories came from 17 magazines, of which five were secular periodicals. He then goes on to comment on another group of stories.—Gregory Matthews.]

"Even more useful is the fact that periodicals in those days very freely lifted articles and stories from each other, frequently with acknowledgment. These notations allow us to identify the original sources of an additional seventy-three stories, which first saw the light in fifty-four different magazines, including fifteen secular periodicals, several of which were known primarily as fiction magazines. [NOTE: That several were fiction magazines—Gregory Matthews.] Remember that Mrs. White did not handle these, but only saw the stories that had been selected from them by the magazines she did handle. But all in all I identified a total of sixty-nine separate magazine sources. Yet these account for fewer than half
the stories. It would not seem unreasonable to guess that originally
perhaps a hundred different magazines were involved.

[Dr. Waller then goes on to state that it can not be imagined that EGW would have written to the editeors of 100, or more, magazines to ask if their stories were true, or fiction—Gregory Matthews.]

"Apparently, then, her condemnation was not intended to be applied
indiscriminately to all stories that do not happen to be true-to-fact. . . . Thus, in approaching certain types at least of non-factual stories, Mrs. White's practice allowed scope for critical judgment. But everybody acquainted with Mrs. White's writings will know that the judgments set forth therein concerning fiction were very conservative. . . . [sic.]

"On the evidence of the scrapbooks and 'Sabbath Readings,' I conclude that absence of sheer factuality was not Mrs. White's definition of fiction. At least between 1850 and 1880 she herself read and preserved for future reference many relatively short, morally impeccable nonfactual stories that appeared in various magazines. I dare say she skimmed through countless others that she did not preserve. Thus in practice, she established the principle of exercising moral discrimination in dealing with simple, clearly moralistic fiction. But her writings agree with those of numerous other morally concerned observers of her time that fiction-reading--especially the sopping up of novels--as it manifested itself during those years was, for
the most part, very unhealthy. Whenever she mentioned it at all, she
uniformly warned against it. Nowhere, so far as I can see, does she imply approval of the reading of any novel." (John O. Waller, "A Contextual Study of Ellen G. White's Counsel Concerning Fiction," in "Seventh-day Adventists on Literature," ed. Robert Dunn, Department of English, Loma Linda University, 1974, pp. 56, 57, 59.)

Tim Poirier
Associate Director/Archivist
Ellen G. White Estate
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, Maryland 20904

Phone: 301 680-6540
FAX: 301 680-6559
E-mail: TPoirier@WhiteEstate.org

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42330
01/29/03 06:25 PM
01/29/03 06:25 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Folks:

I have to say that a reasonable person could conclude that EGW did tell fictious stories to her children. She did not exclude all works of fiction, but exercised a very conservative judgement. After all, did she not approve of Pilgrams Progress.

EGW was not as regid as some would like to make her out to be.

Anyhow, I await your comments.

Peace,

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42331
01/29/03 06:40 PM
01/29/03 06:40 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
No comment from me. There are way to many quotes from the Spirit of Prophecy to prove where she stood on this manner. That and the Bible is where I do for direction. We all have chocies to make.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42332
01/29/03 07:29 PM
01/29/03 07:29 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Avalee:

I have no intention of changing your mind.

But, what does one do when one is faced with evidence that contradicts one's beleif? I am confining my question to this situation.

One might:

a) Decide that one's belief needs revision. In this case, it would be that one's understanding of what EGW actually said, needs revision.

b) One might decide that EGW was an imperfect human, and therefore, as we all do, did not perfectly practice her beliefs.

c) One might find a way to explain away the evidence. I.e. One could conclude that one would only accept that EGW read a fictious story to her children if one could find an explicit statement from her, such as: "Last night I read . . ., which you all will know is a work of fiction, to my children."

Avalee, would your spiritual foundation crash if you concluded that either "a" or "b" was true?

What does it mean to be dedicated to follow truth wherever it leads, even if agains previous beliefs?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42333
01/29/03 07:47 PM
01/29/03 07:47 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Still no comment. [Heart]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42334
01/30/03 03:57 AM
01/30/03 03:57 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sounds like a whole new topic to me.

As far as this topic goes, the Harry Potter books are definitely satanic and should not be read.

We should be very careful about what we read.

As far as this side discussion on EGW goes, I would need to investigate this further myself.

Is there still a living person who knew Ellen White and may be able to shed some light on this?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42335
01/30/03 03:46 PM
01/30/03 03:46 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
I see this thread is about "what we SDAs should or should not read." I don't see that this issue is at all about what Sister white did, ate or read, she like Christ and all of us "learned obedience through suffering" . the Bottom line is what did the inspired writings of our prophet tell us and do we believe what God says. If we do, we have no questions.

We are told to guard the avenues of the soul.

"Guard the Avenues to the Soul. "--"The apostle sought to teach the believers how important it is to keep the mind from wandering to forbidden themes or from spending its energies on trifling subjects. Those who would not fall a prey to Satan's devices must guard well the avenues of the soul; they must avoid reading, seeing, or hearing that which will suggest impure thoughts. The mind must not be left to dwell at random upon every subject that the enemy of souls may suggest. "

Mind, Character, and Personality Volume 2--pg- 591

Fiction Creates an Imaginary World. --You have indulged in novel and story reading until you live in an imaginary world. The influence of such reading is injurious to both the mind and the body; it weakens the intellect and brings a fearful tax upon the physical strength. At times your mind is scarcely sane because the imagination
has been overexcited and diseased by reading fictitious stories. The mind should be so disciplined that all its powers will be symmetrically developed. . . ."

Our guidlines are the following texts:

Phi 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things."

Psa 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me."

Now shall we discredit these texts because we may find/judge in the writers lives something me may not approve of. Are we not to accept the "All scripture is inspired by the holy Spirit" and the same Holy Spirit inspired Ellen White.? Why are we searching so hard for a way to justify not taking the words of the SOP, as TRUTH.

Counsels to Parents, Teachers, and Students--- The False and the True in Education-----PG- 383

"By fostering a love for mere amusement, the reading of fiction creates a distaste for life's practical duties. Through its exciting, intoxicating power it is not infrequently a cause of both mental and physical disease. Many a miserable, neglected home, many a lifelong invalid, many an inmate of the insane asylum, has
become such through the habit of novel reading."

You say Jesus used parables...Yes, He Did. Were they for teaching bible truths based on what was happening or did happen is the recent past? i believe Ellen says so. Were they uplifting God's Law,mercy,grace/obedience parables and lessons in the saving Grace of God in their lives? God/Jesus centered parables, not adulterated by the world in any way, I would just guess, that God would still approve of this. I still remember reading the "Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories" {the old ones...1940s] to my children and if some os those wonderful stories were made up.....so be it, they placed good moral goals [fruits of the Spirit] in the hearts of my Children.

But none of my/your words are inspired.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42336
01/31/03 04:05 AM
01/31/03 04:05 AM
North Carolina, USA
I would be greatly disappointed if a thread were opened up to disguss the credibility of our Prophet, Ellen White.

We are told that God leaves much "evidence" for the sceptic to doubt. To research this is to bring out evidence as to who is a believer and who is not. I am a believer and i don't have to explore her life/lifestyle to give me assurance that Ellen White was given to this last day church as our God inspired Prophet, it is so because God said it is so.

It is also so because the Spirit of Prophecy says it is so. To doubt is to sin.

If we had a hundred testimonies surviving pioneers, there are those that would not believe "though He raise one from the dead."

Instead, lets up Praise The Lord for His ever Loving guidance.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42337
01/31/03 04:06 AM
01/31/03 04:06 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
What about "Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories"?

Were they fiction?

If so, are they an exception?

Are there any exceptions?

Also, what about the "Children Story" portion of our worship service? Are many of them fictional stories?

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42338
01/31/03 04:17 AM
01/31/03 04:17 AM
North Carolina, USA
like i said in my above post.....

the bible gives us the guidlines. Why are we questioning this. And what Ellen White says is in line with this??? I don't understand. Your trying to make somthing out of nothing.

Psa 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me.

Phi 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

What about this do we not understand

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42339
01/31/03 04:23 AM
01/31/03 04:23 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Charlene:

I do not think that this is about EGWs credibility. God used her, and gave her a special place in the SDA Chruch. But, it is appropriate to discuss what EGW meant in her writings. It is also appropriate to discuss how she applied her writings to her life. In doing so, we can not expect that she applied them perfectly. She was human, and stated that she ws imperfect. But, as an honest person, we can suggest that her application in her own life has something to say about what her writings meant.

Daryl:

Those who know the history of BEDTIME STORIES know that A. S. Maxwell based them on experiences that he and his wife had with their children, and that other people told him. However, he then took those true events and wrote the stories in a manner to illustrate the truth he wanted to teach, regardless of that actual reality of the way he had writtten it. He also disguised people, as his children served as the inspiration for many of the stories.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42340
01/31/03 04:39 AM
01/31/03 04:39 AM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Fawcett:
Is there still a living person who knew Ellen White and may be able to shed some light on this?

Even if there was and they had some so called light to shine on this would not change what the Spirit of Prophecy has to say about fiction. There is no way in my mind that the Spirit of Prophecy condones fiction like Lord of the Rings. No way at all.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42341
01/30/03 05:07 PM
01/30/03 05:07 PM
North Carolina, USA
Gregory,

Then the same must done to the Bible writers So we may find how they applied what they wrote in their lives, and know how they interpreted what they wrote.

=======

***** This post has been edited to remove that portion of the post which speaks to the person making a post or expressing an opinion, more so than to the subject itself. - Daryl *****

[ January 30, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42342
01/30/03 05:17 PM
01/30/03 05:17 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Charlene:

If I have said anything that appears to weaken the SOP, I apologize. That is not where I am coming from.

(**** This portion of the post being perceived as a judgment against another person has been removed - Daryl. ****)

God is truth. God's truth has nothing to fear from truth. A belief in the Spirit of Prophecy has nothing to fear from people knowing that she did read such stories to her children. That does not lessen in any way the truth that God used her in a marked way to guide the SDA Chruch in its formative years. And, EGW still has valid counsel to share with us today.

[ January 30, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42343
01/30/03 05:48 PM
01/30/03 05:48 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Last Day Events
Page 178

It is Satan's plan to weaken the faith of God's people in the Testimonies. Next follows skepticism in regard to the vital points of our faith, the pillars of our position, then doubt as to the Holy Scriptures, and then the downward march to perdition. When the Testimonies, which were once believed, are doubted and given up, Satan knows the deceived ones will not stop at this; and he redoubles his efforts till he launches them into open rebellion, which becomes incurable and ends in destruction.--4T 211.

Charlene we have been warned in the Spirit of Prophecy that these kinds of things will happen within our church. This is why God needs those who are strong in the Bible and will stand for pure truth in love no matter what to keep up the good work by standing up for truth.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42344
01/30/03 06:00 PM
01/30/03 06:00 PM
North Carolina, USA
My faith in the Bible and the Sprit of Prophecy is so strong that no matter what you post about them....would not undermine my faith in either. My faith is not in man but inspiration.

My above posts are just a warning to others that may be reading your posts, please do not let any question be put into your mind about the sureness or faithfulness of BOTH the Spirit of Prophecy and the Bible.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42345
01/30/03 06:09 PM
01/30/03 06:09 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
quote:
Originally posted by Charlene Van Hook:
My above posts are just a warning to others that may be reading your posts, please do not let any question be put into your mind about the sureness or faithfulness of BOTH the Spirit of Prophecy and the Bible.

Amen Charlene and I do thank you for standing for truth. God needs faithful followers to warn those who may be decieved by others in our ranks.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42346
01/30/03 09:10 PM
01/30/03 09:10 PM
North Carolina, USA
You've got to be kidding. Please reread every post in this thread. I pray for some eyes to be opened.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42347
01/30/03 10:01 PM
01/30/03 10:01 PM
P
Pete P Pete  Offline
Eastern WV
Charlene-
You are right on target and I doubt that "they" will wear you down. It appears to me that often, not always, the more education a person has the more he cavils about a thus saith the Lord or admonition from the SOP. Do we have time to spend on junk reading? Aren't there enough stories that are true so that one does not need to sully his mind with the product of someone's imagination?

I suppose someone will jump on this but I would not even waste my time on fiction that the church printed as a missionary book, wasn't it? It was the figment of someone's imagination. In SDA academia there are too many who endorse fiction. Take a look at the Spectrum web site, the home of the intellectuals. :-)

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42348
01/31/03 02:37 AM
01/31/03 02:37 AM
North Carolina, USA
Thank you Pete for your kind words.

Yes, the "books of a new order" now line the shelves of the ABCs. They make money, so the presses roll.

I am so thankful that we only need to go to our Bibles and the Spirit of Prophecy to get all the truth, excitement and knowledge/God's wisdom that we need to prepare us for His Kingdom.

Maranatha...- A Standard you can Trust---PG- 94

"None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict. To every soul will come the searching test: Shall I obey God rather than
men? The decisive hour is even now at hand. Are our feet planted on the rock of God's immutable word? Are we prepared to stand firm in defense of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus? . . ."

Harry Potter?..."just say no!!!"

Let us pray for the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth.

God Bless

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42349
01/31/03 02:50 PM
01/31/03 02:50 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
I have ganied the imprssion that Pete, and others, may think that I advocate the wholesale reading of fiction. To clairfy this, I do not. I am perplexed that any might come to tha opinion about me. I can not think of anything that I may have said that would give such an idea.

It is true, that in older posts, I have approved of reading some of C. S. Lewis's works, and of PILGRIM'S PROGRESS. These are clearly works of fiction, or as some would say, parables. But, if you object to this, I don't think that this is a wholesale endorsement of reading fiction.

My above comment was made as a result of reading some specific comments by Pete, and others. However, my next comments are not made with any specific person in mind. I am not writing specificly to Charlene. Some have thought that she and I were taking pot-shots at each other. As a result, comments were edited out of posts both of us had made. I did not see it that way, and did not request that any editing be done.

Walter Rae, who wrote THE WHITE LIE, is a very clear example of a problem that all of us may face. Walter began his ministry as an ardent proponent of Ellen White. I used to read his writings on her, and I felt that he often, not always, took an extreme position.

As a result of his studies, he became aware that Ellen White had used the writings of other people in her published works. [If you want more on this, review the comprehensive study done by Fred Veltman, and available on-line in the General Conference archives.] He was unable to integrate this new knowledge into his spiritual life. As a result, he proverbably threw the baby out with the bath-water. Rae is now a leading opponent of Ellen White.

My question to you-all is: What do we do in our spiritual life when we are made aware of new information that appears to conflict with what we previously beleived?

Historically, we have seen many do as Walter Rae did. During the Millerite Movement, many gave up on all religion because Christ did not come in 1844. I will suggest to you that this is often not a spiritually healthy approach.

Rather, I will suggest that there are two spiritually healthy approaches. I cast these in terms of our present discussion of EGW and fiction.

a) We may decide that Ellen White was an imperfect human who did not alwasy fully understand the light God had given her, and/or did not fully practice it.

I think that EGW would agree with this postion. She never counseled people to follow her example. She neither claimed infability, nor imperfection.

b) Me may decide that our understanding was imperfect, and we therefor need to revise our doctrinal position. This was certaianly the position taken by those early people who accepted William Miller's exposition of the Second Advent. I believe that this also is healthy.

I leave it to all of you to decide of either of these postions applies to the issue of EGW and fiction. But, let us look further at what we can say about EGW and fiction.

1) It is very clear that she did not advocate
the reading of what she called fiction and novels. She was, interestingly enough, more negative against novels, than she ws against fiction. So, whatever her position, it can be stated that she would never advocate wholesale reading of such.

2) However, we do know that she had PILGRAM'S PROGRESS in her library, and we have reason to believe that she read it. Is it possible that she did not consider this to be an example of what she meant when she spoke out against fiction? Or, do we say she was an imperfect example? You decide.

3) We are now faced with the fact that rasonable people could conclude that she read some short-stories to her children that were likely works of fiction. How do we deal with this? You decide. Some sincere people will conclude that she practiced what she wrote, and therefore, those carefully selected stories were not in violation of what she wrote. Yes, the record does indicate that she was very selective, and refused more than she accepted.

I bring this up because I think it is very important. We have an example in the life of Walter Rae of a direction one may take that I do not consider to be spiritually healthy. I do not want to see anyone else fall into this.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42350
01/31/03 03:03 PM
01/31/03 03:03 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Gregory in this Harry Potter thread you are the one voicing sentiments that by their tone cast doubt upon the honesty of EGW. The aspersions you are creating seems to run like this. “Did she really practice what she preached, or did she say one thing and do another on the side ?”

A. If she sinned it is up to God to decide to record those sins and publish them.
B. If she sinned it is no excuse to publish it and paint it as justification for someone else’s choices.
C. Publishing her sins are they not put in a similar light as Genesis 9:20-27 ? Are you not uncovering the nakedness of the spiritual mother of the SDA faith ? Where is your inspiration written justification ?

“To repeople the desolate earth, which the Flood had so lately swept from its moral corruption, God had preserved but one family, the household of Noah, to whom He had declared, "Thee have I seen righteous before Me in this generation." Genesis 7:1. Yet in the three sons of Noah was speedily developed the same great distinction seen in the world before the Flood. In Shem, Ham, and Japheth, who were to be the founders of the human race, was foreshadowed the character of their posterity. {PP 117.1}

Noah, speaking by divine inspiration, foretold the history of the three great races to spring from these fathers of mankind. Tracing the descendants of Ham, through the son rather than the father, he declared, "Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren." The unnatural crime of Ham declared that filial reverence had long before been cast from his soul, and it revealed the impiety and vileness of his character. These evil characteristics were perpetuated in Canaan and his posterity, whose continued guilt called upon them the judgments of God. {PP 117.2}

On the other hand, the reverence manifested by Shem and Japheth for their father, and thus for the divine statutes, promised a brighter future for their descendants. Concerning these sons it was declared: "Blessed be Jehovah, God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant." The line of Shem was to be that of the chosen people, of God's covenant, of the promised Redeemer. Jehovah was the God of Shem. From him would descend Abraham, and the people of Israel, through whom Christ was to come. "Happy is that people, whose God is the Lord." Psalm 144:15. And Japheth "shall dwell in the tents of Shem." In the blessings of the gospel the descendants of Japheth were especially to share. {PP 117.3}

The posterity of Canaan descended to the most degrading forms of heathenism. Though the prophetic curse had doomed them to slavery, the doom was withheld for centuries. God bore with their impiety and corruption until they passed the limits of divine forbearance. Then they were dispossessed, and became bondmen to the descendants of Shem and Japheth. {PP 118.1}

The prophecy of Noah was no arbitrary denunciation of wrath or declaration of favor. It did not fix the character and destiny of his sons. But it showed what would be the result of the course of life they had severally chosen and the character they had developed. It was an expression of God's purpose toward them and their posterity in view of their own character and conduct. As a rule, children inherit the dispositions and tendencies of their parents, and imitate their example; so that the sins of the parents are practiced by the children from generation to generation. Thus the vileness and irreverence of Ham were reproduced in his posterity, bringing a curse upon them for many generations. "One sinner destroyeth much good." Ecclesiastes 9:18. {PP 118.2}

On the other hand, how richly rewarded was Shem's respect for his father; and what an illustrious line of holy men appears in his posterity! "The Lord knoweth the days of the upright," "and his seed is blessed." Psalm 37:18, 26. "Know therefore that the Lord thy God He is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love Him and keep His commandments to a thousand generations." Deuteronomy 7:9. {PP 118.3}

post RE: EGW herself #1
quote:

Gregory posted January 27, 2003 06:52 AM
quote:

Yes, the idea can be obtained from her writings that she opposed all fiction. That is the position that I once took. [NOTE: I am not saying that I have substantially changed it.]

However, she read short stories, written by great novelists of her day, to her children. I have to assume that those short stories were works of fiction. We have published some (not all) of those stories in a book we have titled SCRAPBOOK STORIES.

Ellen White was a complex woman. In her personal life she was not nearly as rigid as some have gathered from reading her writings.

post RE: EGW herself #2
Gregory posted January 27, 2003 12:28 PM

Daryl:

I am saying that we clearly know that Ellen White read short stories to her children that were written by novelists of her day. From the standpoint of authorship, and of story content, it is pretty clear that they were works of fiction.

Some comments:

1) EGW was human, and we can not expect perfection in her.
(Try God’s command to Abram Genesis 17:1 And when Abram <087> was ninety <08673> <08141> years <08141> old <01121> and nine <08672>, the LORD <03068> appeared <07200> (8735) to Abram <087>, and said <0559> (8799) unto him, I am the Almighty <07706> God <0410>; walk <01980> (8690) before me <06440>, and be thou perfect <08549>.
08549 Mymt tamiym taw-meem’

from 08552; TWOT-2522d; adj

AV-without blemish 44, perfect 18, upright 8, without spot 6, uprightly 4, whole 4, sincerely 2, complete 1, full 1, misc 3; 91

1) complete, whole, entire, sound
1a) complete, whole, entire
1b) whole, sound, healthful
1c) complete, entire (of time)
1d) sound, wholesome, unimpaired, innocent, having integrity
1e) what is complete or entirely in accord with truth and fact (neuter adj/subst)
08549. Mymt tamiym taw-meem’; from 08552; entire (literally, figuratively or morally); also (as noun) integrity, truth:—without blemish, complete, full, perfect, sincerely (-ity), sound, without spot, undefiled, upright(-ly), whole.

2) People have often made her out to be more rigid than she was. I suspect that this is the issue with her use of fiction.

3) People who know, see these aspects in her in the fictitious stories she told her children, in her wearing simple jewelry (a necklace), and in her eating oysters.

( I have responded by posting SOP RE: the jewelry & oysters & fiction.)

[/quote]

( I have responded by posting SOP RE: the jewelry & oysters & fiction.)

quote:

Gregory posted January 29, 2003 02:25 PM
Folks:

I have to say that a reasonable person could conclude that EGW did tell fictious stories to her children. She did not exclude all works of fiction, but exercised a very conservative judgement. After all, did she not approve of Pilgrams Progress.

EGW was not as regid as some would like to make her out to be.

Anyhow, I await your comments.

Peace,

It seems from the tone of these quotes that EGW approved & prized Pilgrim’s progress.

Pilgrim’s progress - 12 SOP hits

1. Again, as in apostolic days, persecution turned out to the furtherance of the gospel. In a loathsome dungeon crowded with profligates and felons, John Bunyan breathed the very atmosphere of Heaven, and there he wrote his wonderful allegory of the pilgrim's journey from the land of destruction to the celestial city. For two hundred years that voice from Bedford jail has spoken with thrilling power to the hearts of men. Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" and "Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners" have guided many feet into the path of life.
{GC88 252.2}
Baxter, Flavel, Alleine, and other men of talent, education, and deep Christian experience, stood up in valiant defense of the faith which was once delivered to the saints. The work accomplished by these men, prescribed and outlawed by the rulers of this world, can never perish. Flavel's "Fountain of Life" and "Method of Grace" have taught thousands how to commit the keeping of their souls to Christ. Baxter's "Reformed Pastor" has proved a blessing to many who desire a revival of the work of God, and his "Saint's Everlasting Rest" has done its work in leading souls to the "rest that remaineth for the people of God." {GC88 253.1}

2. Repeat

3. Success does not depend so much upon age or circumstances in life as upon the real love that one has for others. Look at John Bunyan inclosed by prison walls. His enemies think that they have placed him where his work for others must cease. But not so. He is not idle. The love for souls continues to burn within him, and from his dark prison-house there springs a light which shines to all parts of the civilized world. His book, "The Pilgrim's Progress," written under these trying circumstances, portrays the Christian life so accurately, and presents the love of Christ in such an attractive light, that hundreds and thousands have been converted through its instrumentality. {HS 151.2}

4. Christian strength is obtained by serving the Lord faithfully. Young men and young women should realize that to be one with Christ is the highest honor to which they can attain. By the strictest fidelity they should strive for moral independence, and this independence they should maintain against every influence that may try to turn them from righteous principles. Stronger minds may, yes, they will, make assertions that have no foundation in truth. Let the heavenly eyesalve be applied to the eyes of your understanding, that you may distinguish between truth and error. Search the Word; and when you find a "Thus saith the Lord," take your stand. . . . {ML 73.3}
In Pilgrim's Progress there is a character called Pliable. Youth, shun this character. Those represented by it are very accommodating, but they are as a reed shaken by the wind. They possess no will power. Every youth needs to cultivate decision. A divided state of the will is a snare, and will be the ruin of many youth. Be firm, else you will be left with your house, or character, built upon a sandy foundation. {ML 73.4}
The Lord's philosophy is the rule of the Christian's life. The entire being should be imbued with the life-giving principles of heaven. The busy nothings which consume the time of so many shrink into their proper position before a healthy, sanctifying Bible piety. {ML 73.5}

5. repeat

6. Repeat of earlier quote.

7. Repeat
8. Repeat
9. Repeat
10. (In a written council to J H Kellogg) “Nehemiah is an example of the standard that must be maintained at any expense. Neither danger nor difficulty would shake his adherence to the just, holy, righteous principles of truth. The honor that must be maintained in the work to be done for this time requires staunch determination. Men are needed who will say, "The hand of God is good upon me; I will arise and build." [See Neh. 2:18.] There are today too many Pliables, as in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. Beware of the inclination to follow your own impulses. Adam, hiding himself from God, encompassed himself in obstructing darkness. “ {20MR 348.3}

11. Repeat

12. James and Ellen White were also struggling. While some of the ministers had to drop out from time to time and labor with their hands to support their families, James White found as he traveled among the believers that there were those in need of Bibles and other books. He bought supplies and carried some with him, or supplied them from Battle Creek. These he sold at a profit. The Review of May 13, 1858, carried this back page notice: {1BIO 387.3}

We have for sale Cruden's Concordance, Nelson on
Infidelity, Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.--JW. and

We have a supply of English Bibles, three sizes.--JW. {1BIO 387.4}
With the publication of The Great Controversy in the summer of 1858, Ellen White had a little income. But as reported in the Review of November 25, 1858, "what little profit there was on it was all solemnly dedicated to the Lord, and $25 out of it had already been given to one of the Lord's needy servants [M. B. Czechowski]." {1BIO 387.5}

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42351
02/01/03 04:27 AM
02/01/03 04:27 AM
B
Bonnie  Offline
Charter Member
Big Lake ,MN.
Ed,

It always seems if the writings of EW are not viewed in the exact same way as those that apply every word she ever uttered in exactly the way stated they somehow become just a little less than those that do. A disapointment or not living up to the truth.

>Gregory in this Harry Potter thread you >are the one voicing sentiments that by >their tone cast doubt upon the honesty of >EGW.

Where?

> The aspersions you are creating seems >to run like this. ?Did she really practice >what she preached, or did she say one >thing and do another on the side ??

Unless she was a perfect human being I would be willing to bet she did that on occasion. Just as you, myself or anyone else.

>A. If she sinned it is up to God to decide >to record those sins and publish them.

You choice of the word "if' surprises me.
There is no "if'. She did.
You have determined what may have been a sin according to what you believe.

>B. If she sinned it is no excuse to publish >it and paint it as justification for someone >else?s choices.

Again, no "if". Whatever her sins there is nothing here to take as justification, just seeing it differently than you.
When I read our sons should be scarecly sane and have a fevered imagination because they read fiction, I know that is not true. Then I have to believe she was wrong or maybe look just a little deeper

>C. Publishing her sins are they not put in >a similar light as Genesis 9:20-27 ? Are >you not uncovering the nakedness of the >spiritual mother of the SDA faith ?

Maybe I have taken this the wrong way
but if a RC were to say that to me, I would assume they were speaking either of Mary or the pope.

EW was a mortal, flawed, sinful human being as all humans are. If not, then she certainy belongs in heaven with Christ as he is the only one to practise without fail what he preached at all times.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42352
02/01/03 04:34 AM
02/01/03 04:34 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Ed said:

"Gregory in this Harry Potter thread you are the one voicing sentiments that by their tone cast doubt upon the honesty of EGW. The aspersions you are creating seems to run like this. “Did she really practice what she preached, or did she say one thing and do another on the side ?”

I am astounded that anyone could get this message from my post! [Frown]

I do not think that honesty is involved. Ellen White was qhite open about her life and work. She clearly relates the struggles that she with diet, and we know that she eat foods she had writen against for some time after she wrote against them.

She publicly wore a necklace, and was photographed wearing one after she wrote against jewelry. The White Estate acknowledges that in later years they "airbrushed" that necklace out of some well ppublished photos of her. Her honesty is not at stake.

Whatever, EGW did, it was open, and well known by people who livedin her time.

Ed, you have gone well beyond anything I have said.

My personal position on fiction and EGW is:

1) EGW condemed much of what passedfor fiction, and would do so today.

2) She ws selective and accepted a few works of fiction that taught spiritual truths.

3) This is what she practiced. It was this type that she read to her children. We konwwhat she did, as she left the records. She personally made what we now call scrapbook stories.

Some, and I do not refer to anyone, make her to be a god, and much more than she was. We have nothing to fear from the truth, for Godis a God of truth.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42353
01/31/03 05:20 PM
01/31/03 05:20 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Hello all,

Due to the fact that this topic seems to have changed course and is no longer about Endtime Events I have closed it and moved a copy to SDA Church Concerns. Please feel free to continue with the dicussion there.

Moderator of Endtime Events

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!