HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Body Building #43192
03/12/01 07:41 AM
03/12/01 07:41 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Christchurch, New Zealand
Our 26 year old son has this year started Body Building.
It started because it took his mind off of some very bad experiences at church last year.

He is taking Creatin, which in 8 weeks has already changed the shape of his body.

Does anyone know of a site that tells you what Creatin does to ones body?
I have searched, and only come up with sites to sell it to me!

Any ideas on how you would handle this?

Or should I go to the health forum?

Be Still, My Soul
Zita

[This message has been edited by Zita (edited March 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Zita (edited March 12, 2001).]

Re: Body Building #43193
03/12/01 01:39 PM
03/12/01 01:39 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Zita,
You might contact Ken Parsons at this e-mail addy:
bonnieparson@yahoo.com

He has a health site on the web, but I can't find the url just now.

Gerry

Re: Body Building #43194
03/12/01 03:20 PM
03/12/01 03:20 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Zita, my husband has been an afficondo of body building since the 1960's. I've been living with boby building mags for a lot of years. He is telling me as I write that creatine is a very concentrated meat protein (amino acids) derived product. It comes from meat, be it beef, pork, or whatever. He also says to tell your son that garbanzos (also called chickpeas) have almost a PER rating as eggs. He also said he should cycle his workouts so that they end about 1 hour before mealtime. The highest anabolic protein synthesis occurs in that time frame after a workout.

As for websites, I'll look at the sites I often check for information and see what I can find.

Ed says that will definitely frequent this thread. I'm sure he'll probably load it with information.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Body Building #43195
03/12/01 05:43 PM
03/12/01 05:43 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
I've found a few places you can check out. What I have discovered is that creatine came out as a supplement (at least in the US) in the early 1990's. There is very limited research at this point on what it does and potential problems. What research there is is often conflicting.

This bit of information is from the University of Pennsylvania.

Sales of creatine have increased after its highly-publicized use by professional athletes. It is processed in muscle cells to store energy for sprinting and vigorous exercise. Creatine is now being marketed to the general public and young athletes as an energy-promoting nutritional supplement.

Although creatine has been shown to improve short-term, high-intensity exercise performance, there is no evidence it affects endurance.

There is a need for caution, however. While most people consume 1 to 2 grams of creatine in their diet each day, mainly from red meat, promoters suggest taking much larger doses. Although most researchers assume that creatine is safe, there is little information about long-term, high-dose use.

There are still many questions to be answered about this "energy aid." Before taking supplements of any kind, consult with a physician.

Reviewed by Peter F. DeLuca, MD
Last Updated on 08/12/99

While I normally wouldn't put URLs in a topic, in this case I will. Most of these are for magazine and journal articles.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/cgi-bin/aems.cgi?QUERY=creatine&STYPE=EXACT
Search results of USFDA site that lists adverse reactions for creatine.
By clicking the check box under the ARMS number in the table, the clicking the blue bar that says "Click to show ARMS number(s) you will be shown more information

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0GCU/n2_v15/20924354/p1/article.jhtml?term=creatine
article from Nutrition Forum "The Creatine Craze: such ergogenic promise--but at what price?"

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0FKA/5_62/62702341/p1/article.jhtml?term=creatine
Article from Better Nutrition "Creatine-- Just the FAQs, ma'am"

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m3225/4_62/65106153/p1/article.jhtml?term=creatine
article from American Family Physician "ACSM Statement on Creatine Supplements"

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1272/2665_129/66011847/p1/article.jhtml?term=creatine
article from USA Today "Long-Term Effects Remain Unknown"

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/creatine.asp
There isn't a lot of information here, but it's good information.

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Body Building #43196
03/13/01 07:37 AM
03/13/01 07:37 AM
Zita  Offline OP
I am very grateful to our church family for your replys to my post.

We spoke to our son last night, and although he did not receive us very well, he thought about it, and this morning did not take his creatine.

I have been into one or 2 sites, mostly disputing adverse information.

I appreciate your feedback here Linda and will be checking them out.

Interesting that on the container is says no animal products!

Robbie did try to find out all he could before he went into using Creatine, but no one told him anything bad, incouding the Chemist.

We were certainly praising God this morning for His victory. And you know, already I have noticed that Robbie is more his old lovely self.

BE Still, My Soul
Zita

Re: Body Building #43197
03/13/01 08:39 AM
03/13/01 08:39 AM
Zita  Offline OP
Linda, would you please ask Ed about having 6 meals a day, which is recommended in the book
Body for Life?.

I have pointed out the information in Counsels on Diets and Foods, but Robbie is looking for informed answers on these questions.

He just told me about the body builder who has a special deal with the local butcher, and has an order for a cow a week

Incase you are wondering, we are strictly Vegetarian! lol

Be Still, My Soul
Zita

Re: Body Building #43198
03/13/01 03:19 PM
03/13/01 03:19 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi Zita & Robbie

I will try to contain my joy as I one finger type. Way to go Robbie, I love to pump IRON too & especially building strength.

First things first. The human stomach is built on a dual time clock. That time clock is both chemically controled and neurologically controlled. The digestive system needs work and activity and rest and recuperation - recharge cycles just like the muscles. X-ray studies have been done to track the activity and emptying cycles of the digestive system. Healthy adult male college age test subjects were fed a tradational breakfast then had their alimentary system x-rayed at timed intervals to see how fast the stomach emptied.

1. Normal breakfast - stomach x-ray (baseline)
x-ray one hour later & stomach is well into peristalysis and breaking the contents down to send into the deuodnum to be buffered into a less acidic solution and be processed in the small intestine.
( a candy bar is fed to some test subjects at this time - after one hour)

Then later sequential x-rays showed in some of these test subjects that normal digestion is delayed from 8 - 13 hours. The digestive cycle is reset back to the initial phase when eating between the normal cycle time of digestion. So lots of people wind up going around with semi digested semi putrified "rotted" food in their stomachs, on a daily basis.

Unless a medical condition exists to require six small meals a day, it is poor practice to accept the theories of trainers and gurus as to the care and "feeding" of the digestive system. The physiologic timed cycle of digestion from start to uninturupted finish is a window of 4 - 6 hours.

Second thing to consider - would you suspect an MD of colusion if they advised surgery & were going to be the surgon who collected the MD & surgery fees ? I would.

The merchants & gym owners who advise 6 meals a day also want you to use their protein supplements (for a price of course).
This is a large share of their cash flow, often they might not make a profit without selling these supplements.

Their theory is that of building muscle by eating muscle. Where did the bull get muscles from in the first place ? Basic building blocks of food, water, work, rest, sunlight. Humans need to add the works of reason (temperance & abstemiousness)plus trust in God & what He has caused to be written.

You will need sufficent easily digestable calories furnishing stored chemical energy in appropriate forms, plus rebuilding materials, and nutrient transport & lubricant supplies in your diet. In other words Carbs, proteins, lipids, minerals & vitamins & plant microproducts & plenty of water .

More later. As far as excercises & variety try this book by Bill Pearl (who is lacto-ovo vegetarian.) "Keys to the Inner Universe".

I do not yet have it so I can not fully vouch for it but as far as a varity of excercises, which minimize joint damage through repedative same movements, it consistantly recievs good references from all sources I have reviewed. However do not use it or any books for your bodybuilding value system. Only the Bible & SOP qualify for that.
http://www.billpearl.com/

http://www.billpearl.com/bpbooks.htm
(one Bill Pearl link didn't work when tried so I deleted it. It was in the main Bill Pearl homepage anyhow click on programs at the top of the page to go to his eighteen month cycled system.)

BTW Bill Pearl was the only one capable of one on one against Arnold & possibly beating him.

I personally like bodybuilding but I prefer to lean toward the strength end rather than the contest posing end. I have naturally wide sholders & a life long struggle with body fat.

Bye for now,

------------------
Edward F Sutton

[This message has been edited by Edward F Sutton (edited March 13, 2001).]

Re: Body Building #43199
03/13/01 05:43 PM
03/13/01 05:43 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Ed, do you think lifting weights would help me?
Walking is good aerobic exercise, but I want to build muscle as well.

Re: Body Building #43200
03/13/01 05:59 PM
03/13/01 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gerry,

I'm not an expert so I'll leave the how's to Ed. But I do know that the more muscle you have, the more fat your body will be able to burn. You should consult your doctor on how to begin though if you've been sedentary for some time. We bought a Bowflex system which is nice because you can buy it on payments for $35 a month. Also, it is very compact and easy to use. But Ed probably has some better suggestions.

Wendy
---------------
Maranatha!!!

Re: Body Building #43201
03/13/01 11:03 PM
03/13/01 11:03 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Topic moved to the Health Message forum for continued discussion there.

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!