HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43213
05/24/01 10:56 PM
05/24/01 10:56 PM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Is there anyone else here (male and female) that enjoys any of the needle arts? I have been sewing, knitting, crocheting, crafting, and doll making (all in spurts) for years. I've even made a few quilts, embroidered or cross stitched a few pictures, and done a bit of needlepoint. Does anyone else share any of these hobbies?

I recently added scrapbooking to my list of hobbies and I find it a lovely way to save pictures and the stories that go with them.

If you have any of these hobbies, how do you use them? Do you ever make and donate anything for charitable purposes? Do you use them to save money or to supply what you can find in the store? Do you use them as gifts?

------------------
For I know that my redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth.

Linda

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43214
05/28/01 12:52 AM
05/28/01 12:52 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Linda
Please tell them about when you used to make Scripture Quilts & how you did it.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43215
06/03/01 02:46 AM
06/03/01 02:46 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Linda,

I love to sew, and I used to knit a lot too, but have not done any of that for many years. I also have enjoyed counted cross stitch in the past, though I have not done any of that in a while either.

I have used all of these skills from time to time to make gifts for family members, and I have sewn a lot of the clothing for my family, especially when the kids were small and it saved money, not to mention the fact that I did not want my kids wearing pajamas made of synthetic fabrics, which was all you could legally buy. They had plenty of cotton pajama fabrics at the fabric store, although they all had printed on the selvage: "not suitable for children's sleepwear." I laughed about that with the fabric store employees, as we all knew what we were going to use it for!

Once the kids helped me select some fabric to make a quilt for the AIDS baby quilt project that was sponsored by some SDA organization, though I don't remember any more what it was, but I never had the time to make the quilt before the deadline. Unfortunately, any sewing project I take on cannot be an urgent need, as there is no guarantee when I will get it done, if ever.

If I could devote my full time to sewing from the start of any given project until it's finished, as I did with my daughter's wedding dress, then they would all get done, but most of the time I can't do that.

The wedding dress took 4 months, and the bridesmaid dress I made afterward took 2 more. I had to get other women to sew the other 3 bridesmaids' dresses, and I'll have to say, I was disappointed with all of them. None of them had the quality workmanship I was expecting & hoping for, and it was obvious, even from a distance. I guess it makes a difference in whether you know the cost of those very expensive materials or not as to whether you think it is worthy of your most painstaking work.

I made several muslin bodices of my daughter's dress before I had it fitted and altered well enough to satisfy myself. And I had to cut out more pieces of the actual dress and redo the bodice twice, since I had never sewn with satin before, and made mistakes in pressing seams (which could not be ironed back out), and in getting water spots on it. I sewed on all the lace and the buttons and button loop tape by hand, and also blind-stitched the hem and the facings by hand.

The one woman who I thought would do a very professional job on the maid of honor's dress, because she is a perfectionist, didn't think it was worth her time to be so careful on a dress that would only be worn once, took a lot of shortcuts. I felt that the bridesmaid dresses should be made as carefully as possible also, because the materials were expensive, and the girls had to pay for them themselves as we simply could not afford to buy it all, and the girls ought to be able to sell them at a second-hand clothing store if they wanted to, and recover some of their money. But none of the other dresses were good enough to resell - they all screamed "home-made."

I didn't mean to complain when I started this, but thought somebody else might possibly benefit from hearing the story, so as not to make the same mistake. We did what we had to do, and there is no way I could have made all of those dresses myself, and I don't think anybody but me really noticed. If I had to do it over, I guess I would have no choice but to do the same thing again. Thankfully, I have no other daughters to sew wedding dresses for, and it will be many years before I will have a granddaughter's wedding dress to sew.

I told my daughter at the time that if she had any daughters and they wanted me to sew their wedding dresses, I would do it, but I would not alter hers for them. I don't do alterations - ever! And I don't think anyone could alter that dress to fit someone else anyway. But I am very thankful that that wedding dress & veil survived the 2 fires that destroyed her home and possessions, as they are still hanging in my sewing room closet (formerly her bedroom). They are the only wedding keepsakes she has left, except for the photos, which I have the negatives to. Everything else burned in the first fire.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

[This message has been edited by Cathy Sears (edited June 02, 2001).]

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43216
06/03/01 06:28 AM
06/03/01 06:28 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
I have found that quilts especially carry a lot of memories and associations with them, especially when family handmade.

As a highschool teenager, I colored in the birds of the fifty states with a liquid embroidery set of paints that penetrated and sunk into the fabric. It was a set of fifty squares that years later was made into a quilt. Our son Joel was given it if I remember correctly. I ought to do one of cats for Suzanne, (don't tell on me, in case I should do it; it would spoil the surprise.)

I did not sew the quilt, just sent weeks each evening after homework painting the squares. Having lines & charts for proper colors helped.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43217
06/06/01 04:18 AM
06/06/01 04:18 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Cathy, I'm glad that someone else on here besides me enjoys the needle arts.

Three years ago I was planning to make my daughter's wedding dress when she was planning to get married. I'm glad now that I hadn't gotten the fabric because the engagement was broken. Maybe someday I will get to sew one for her, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.

One recent project I did was table runners for her college graduation party. I was zipping along on my serger doing a narrow overlock hem, when the serger went KA-CHUNK! I wound up having to take it to the repair shop last week. It's only a year and a half old, and it already needed work. I got my Kenmore sewing machine when my son was a baby 25 years ago and I've never had it in the shop. They really don't make things like they used to.

I know what you mean about alterations. I detest doing them. That's one reason why I don't like to sew to earn money. Most people want someone to alter their clothes. I don't even like to have to alter my own!

I'm glad that you daughter has at least got her wedding dress and her pictures.

------------------

Linda

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43218
06/07/01 01:36 AM
06/07/01 01:36 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
Linda,

I have rejected any idea of sewing for money for the same reason you have. I especially can't stand having to repair zippers, but my least favorite part of sewing a garment is hemming, and that is most likely one of the most common alterations that would be wanted. And if I don't have the pleasure of sewing the rest of the garment, I certainly don't want to do only the hem! I don't think I could really do any other kind of alterations for an already-made garment that would look decent anyway. All of the alterations I did for my daughter's dress were done before I ever cut it out.

My love of sewing has come in very handy for me too, as it is very difficult to buy clothing for me. I cannot wear synthetic fabrics, and my long arms and legs require that I wear tall sizes. It is awfully hard to find tall size women's clothing in all-natural fabrics. In fact I have never found anyplace where I can buy 100% cotton longjohns in tall women's sizes. Whatever comes in natural fabrics comes several inches short of my ankles and wrists, and the few things that are available in talls are made with fabrics that feel so nasty against my very sensitive skin that I'm miserable all day in them! So I make my own, and I'm comfortable and warm all winter.

You are right that they don't make sewing machines like they used to. And even worse, getting them repaired if they do break down can be a real nightmare. Even Kenmore parts are unavailable for machines more than 4 or 5 years old any more! I have a friend who repairs sewing machines, and he recommended Singer when my not so old Montgomery Ward machine was unrepairable with only a minor problem, due to the part being unavailable. Singer puts the same quality into their lower priced machines as the top of line models, and repair parts are more readily available and available for much older models than any other manufacturer. I have been very happy with my Singer, and when it has needed some minor repairs, he has been able to get it done for me in only a day or two. The only real repair problem I've had is with the wind in place bobbin, which is more prone to problems than the conventional type, due to its design. But I like it, and feel it's worth the extra trouble.

------------------

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43219
06/12/01 04:40 AM
06/12/01 04:40 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
I called about my serger today and found out that it has a broken looper that has to be replaced. When I told the woman at the repair shop that I would never again buy a Simplicity machine, she said, "That's what we sell!" I thought they sold Singer! She said that she has never seen one go bad before. Why did it happen to my machine? I sure have missed it as it makes several steps in sewing so much easier. I've been back to finishing seams with the good old zig zag stitch.

Oh well, it should be done by the time I get back from campmeeting. And I still won't ever buy another Simplicity. My Mom has had a Singer machine that is nearly as old as I am; I learned to sew on it. When she had it worked on a few years ago, there was no problem getting parts as far as I know. I'll take your advice, Cathy, the next time I need a machine. It's Singer for me.

------------------

Linda

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited June 12, 2001).]

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43220
06/15/01 04:59 PM
06/15/01 04:59 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
My wife used to make the clothes for our daughters when they were younger.
She made the veils for the 2 that are married and did the flower arrangements as well, all with artificial flowers, though you couldn't tell unless you looked real close.
She doesn't do much in the way of sewing now, wish she did.

------------------
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart. Ps.26:2
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in men.Ps.118:8

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43221
06/19/01 01:36 AM
06/19/01 01:36 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
My daughter just asked me to sew some cotton nightgowns for my granddaughter, because the synthetic fabrics required by law to be used for children's sleepwear are especially uncomfortable in hot, humid summer weather. Thankfully, it does not take very much time, or fabric, to sew such small garments. Once I get the chance to work on them, I should be able to make several in no time at all.

------------------

Re: Needle Arts, Crafters, Doll Makers, and Such #43222
06/28/01 11:34 PM
06/28/01 11:34 PM
B
Bonnie  Offline
Charter Member
Big Lake ,MN.
Sounds like everyone likes to sew. Just ran across this thread.We had a hobby farm with sheep and angora goats. With all that fleece a spinning wheel came next. I didn't know how to knit so then bought a knitting machine. Angora sweaters for free. Of course my sewing machie ,serger,and embroidery machine are always in use. I have had my White serger for seven years and just had it serviced for the first time. The embroidery machine is fantastic. Am in the process of embroidering butterflies on satin squares for a quilt.

Just refinished two iron beds that were more rust than iron for my granddaughters and they are making their first patch work quilt for them.

I love to refinish old furniture and scrounge around for old barn wood to make picture frames for all of the family for our old pictures. They are a perfect backdrop for the old style clothes and hairdo's that are worn.

The scroll saw, router ,sanders etc are all mine as my husband hates all work like that. We have four sons that are not sure what a hammer is for and my DIL's get the power tools for xmas.

Needless to say, sometimes the dishes don't get done.

bonnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!